Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse

4 posters

Go down

Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse Empty Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:50 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/04/celtics-future-outlook-in-east-looks-brighter-after-bucks-collapse.html

Published: Apr. 30, 2023, 10:01 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

Just three months ago, the Eastern Conference looked like it would be an absolute juggernaut for the next few seasons to fight through for Joe Mazzulla and the Celtics. The Bucks were on pace to be owners of the NBA’s best record, the likely MVP was thriving in Philadelphia and Kevin Durant was still under contract with the Nets for the next three seasons. There were also many up and coming squads (Cleveland, New York) peppered around the Conference as well.

As the Celtics prepare for a second round series against the 76ers potentially without Joel Embiid, it’s hard not to notice how quickly things have changed across the East. There’s no doubt that the Celtics playoff draw is about as favorable as one could hope for entering the East Semifinals with homecourt advantage for the remainder of the postseason. Beyond that, the future is suddenly just as bright as the present amid the turmoil that has spread across the East.

The biggest shift has come with the Bucks who bowed out in ugly fashion to the Heat in Round 1. While there’s many big questions about the status of Mike Budenholtzer after a brutal coaching job against Miami, the bigger problem might be with revamping the supporting cast around Giannis Antetokounmpo. Milwaukee is set to be a high luxury tax team next year and the new CBA limits their ability to add to the roster via trade and free agency in that bracket.

With some big name free agents (Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez) set to hit the marker the summer, no young trade chips to shop and an empty cupboard of future draft picks (those five second round picks given up for Jae Crowder didn’t go far), it’s hard to find a way Milwaukee can improve this group realistically. What was once a dominant regular season juggernaut looks more like a MVP talent along with an aging declining core around him that didn’t have enough firepower to get past a No. 8 seed. With the Celtics core still in its prime (outside of Al Horford) it’s hard to see Milwaukee doing anything this offseason that could lift its prospects ahead of Boston for the next couple of seasons.

The same is true for most teams around the Eastern Conference right now. The upstart Cavs looked mortal and flawed in a hurry in their first round series against the Knicks and they are only a year away from Donovan Mitchell having the option to have free agency. The Nets obviously blew things up by trading Kevin Durant and Miles Bridges and although they are armed with lots of trading tools, they are a long way away from being a contender. The 76ers are capped out in the future like the Bucks as well and run the risk of losing James Harden for nothing this offseason if things don’t go well in Round 2 against Boston. Given the questionable status of Joel Embiid for the series, it’s highly possible it could be an ugly summer for Philly from a team building standpoint.

With the Heat’s talent (Jimmy Butler, Kyle Lowry) pushing higher into their 30s along with a huge tax bill down there, this could be one final hurrah for that core as well given how the regular season has gone within that group.

Compare that to the Celtics outlook and it’s hard not to smile if you are a Celtics fan. The team’s entire rotation outside of Grant Williams is already under contract for next season. If Jaylen Brown becomes eligible for a supermax contract, it’s possible the team’s top seven player will be signed through the 2024-25 season as soon as this summer with Al Horford being the only player in the that group over age 31.

The focus is understandable on the present at the moment for the Celtics who have a tremendous opportunity to get back to the NBA Finals in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 1980s. If they can achieve that, the future will only grow brighter for this core as age and finances catch up with other contending cores in the Eastern Conference.

Bob
MY NOTE:  The increasingly oft-injured Khris Middleton will be 32 years old in August.  Brook Lopez is a healthy 35 and is due for losing a step he cannot afford to lose.  Jrue Holiday will be 33 in June.  He's under contract next year for $36M and has a player option in 2024-2025 for $38.6M.  He's still playing at a high level but all it takes is one leg injury (which I am NOT wishing on him even though he is a d**k) for an aging guard to finish his career.  A point guard with no wheels is done.

James Harden will be 34 in August and, in my opinion, is not the player he used to be.  He's making $35.6M this year.  How much of a pay cut would he accept?  His ego, as we know, has always been in Earth orbit but is now approaching gravitational escape velocity.  I disagree that Philly would lose him for nothing.  If he wants more than Philly is willing to pay him which team has enough salary cap space they could sign him without moving salaries to make that happen?  I'm not saying whomever Philly gets for him will be worth his loss but I doubt it'll be nothing.  The deal that's really killing them is Tobias Harris.  He has one more year after this one and he'll make $39.7M.  For what he delivers that is obscene.

Jimmy Butler will be 34 this summer and is under contract until 2025-2025, when he'll be a few months short of his 36th birthday come those playoffs.  Kyle Lowry is 37 and is under contract for another year @ $29.7M.  Who knew that incessant whining can extend an athletic career?

Horford's old and RWill has trouble staying on the court.  There's our Achilles Heel.  Those two players play similar positions and therefore taking a hit from losing them due to injuries associated with age or contact will hurt.  Next year the Js will be 25 and 27 and are just now entering their prime.  Not in their prime.  Entering.  Brogdon will be 31 and Derrick will be 29.  Brogdon played 67 games this season, a total of 1744 minutes.  Jaylen Brown played 67 games.  He played more minutes than Malcolm, but they were equally available and that's what we need from Malcolm.  Derrick, of course, played an Iron Man 82 games, starting in 70.  Marcus will be 29 and only played in 61 games.  I'm concerned with his longevity, he plays SO unsparingly, but I'm not as concerned as I was at this time last year because of the emergence of Derrick as an excellent two-way player.  Grant's future with the team is, of course, a question mark but there's 8 of our top 9 players by minutes played (Sam actually played more minutes than RWill, 1290 vs 824).  One old guy, Al; one physically dubious guy, RWill and the rest are still in their prime or entering it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse Empty Re: Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse

Post by Ktron Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/04/celtics-future-outlook-in-east-looks-brighter-after-bucks-collapse.html

Just three months ago, the Eastern Conference looked like it would be an absolute juggernaut for the next few seasons to fight through for Joe Mazzulla and the Celtics. The Bucks were on pace to be owners of the NBA’s best record, the likely MVP was thriving in Philadelphia and Kevin Durant was still under contract with the Nets for the next three seasons. There were also many up and coming squads (Cleveland, New York) peppered around the Conference as well.

As the Celtics prepare for a second round series against the 76ers potentially without Joel Embiid, it’s hard not to notice how quickly things have changed across the East. There’s no doubt that the Celtics playoff draw is about as favorable as one could hope for entering the East Semifinals with homecourt advantage for the remainder of the postseason. Beyond that, the future is suddenly just as bright as the present amid the turmoil that has spread across the East.

The biggest shift has come with the Bucks who bowed out in ugly fashion to the Heat in Round 1. While there’s many big questions about the status of Mike Budenholtzer after a brutal coaching job against Miami, the bigger problem might be with revamping the supporting cast around Giannis Antetokounmpo. Milwaukee is set to be a high luxury tax team next year and the new CBA limits their ability to add to the roster via trade and free agency in that bracket.

With some big name free agents (Khris Middleton, Brook Lopez) set to hit the marker the summer, no young trade chips to shop and an empty cupboard of future draft picks (those five second round picks given up for Jae Crowder didn’t go far), it’s hard to find a way Milwaukee can improve this group realistically. What was once a dominant regular season juggernaut looks more like a MVP talent along with an aging declining core around him that didn’t have enough firepower to get past a No. 8 seed. With the Celtics core still in its prime (outside of Al Horford) it’s hard to see Milwaukee doing anything this offseason that could lift its prospects ahead of Boston for the next couple of seasons.

The same is true for most teams around the Eastern Conference right now. The upstart Cavs looked mortal and flawed in a hurry in their first round series against the Knicks and they are only a year away from Donovan Mitchell having the option to have free agency. The Nets obviously blew things up by trading Kevin Durant and Miles Bridges and although they are armed with lots of trading tools, they are a long way away from being a contender. The 76ers are capped out in the future like the Bucks as well and run the risk of losing James Harden for nothing this offseason if things don’t go well in Round 2 against Boston. Given the questionable status of Joel Embiid for the series, it’s highly possible it could be an ugly summer for Philly from a team building standpoint.

With the Heat’s talent (Jimmy Butler, Kyle Lowry) pushing higher into their 30s along with a huge tax bill down there, this could be one final hurrah for that core as well given how the regular season has gone within that group.

Compare that to the Celtics outlook and it’s hard not to smile if you are a Celtics fan. The team’s entire rotation outside of Grant Williams is already under contract for next season. If Jaylen Brown becomes eligible for a supermax contract, it’s possible the team’s top seven player will be signed through the 2024-25 season as soon as this summer with Al Horford being the only player in the that group over age 31.

The focus is understandable on the present at the moment for the Celtics who have a tremendous opportunity to get back to the NBA Finals in back-to-back seasons for the first time since the 1980s. If they can achieve that, the future will only grow brighter for this core as age and finances catch up with other contending cores in the Eastern Conference.

Bob
MY NOTE:  The increasingly oft-injured Khris Middleton will be 32 years old in August.  Brook Lopez is a healthy 35 and is due for losing a step he cannot afford to lose.  Jrue Holiday will be 33 in June.  He's under contract next year for $36M and has a player option in 2024-2025 for $38.6M.  He's still playing at a high level but all it takes is one leg injury (which I am NOT wishing on him even though he is a d**k) for an aging guard to finish his career.  A point guard with no wheels is done.

James Harden will be 34 in August and, in my opinion, is not the player he used to be.  He's making $35.6M this year.  How much of a pay cut would he accept?  His ego, as we know, has always been in Earth orbit but is now approaching gravitational escape velocity.  I disagree that Philly would lose him for nothing.  If he wants more than Philly is willing to pay him which team has enough salary cap space they could sign him without moving salaries to make that happen?  I'm not saying whomever Philly gets for him will be worth his loss but I doubt it'll be nothing.  The deal that's really killing them is Tobias Harris.  He has one more year after this one and he'll make $39.7M.  For what he delivers that is obscene.

Jimmy Butler will be 34 this summer and is under contract until 2025-2025, when he'll be a few months short of his 36th birthday come those playoffs.  Kyle Lowry is 37 and is under contract for another year @ $29.7M.  Who knew that incessant whining can extend an athletic career?

Horford's old and RWill has trouble staying on the court.  There's our Achilles Heel.  Those two players play similar positions and therefore taking a hit from losing them due to injuries associated with age or contact will hurt.  Next year the Js will be 25 and 27 and are just now entering their prime.  Not in their prime.  Entering.  Brogdon will be 31 and Derrick will be 29.  Brogdon played 67 games this season, a total of 1744 minutes.  Jaylen Brown played 67 games.  He played more minutes than Malcolm, but they were equally available and that's what we need from Malcolm.  Derrick, of course, played an Iron Man 82 games, starting in 70.  Marcus will be 29 and only played in 61 games.  I'm concerned with his longevity, he plays SO unsparingly, but I'm not as concerned as I was at this time last year because of the emergence of Derrick as an excellent two-way player.  Grant's future with the team is, of course, a question mark but there's 8 of our top 9 players by minutes played (Sam actually played more minutes than RWill, 1290 vs 824).  One old guy, Al; one physically dubious guy, RWill and the rest are still in their prime or entering it.

Im curious Bob. I’m fully aware how much you love Kyle Lowery (Just kidding) But What do you have against Holiday? To me he just plays hard, never any extra curricular BS on the court and talks very little.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse Empty Re: Celtics future outlook in East looks brighter after Bucks collapse

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:37 pm

Ktron wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/04/celtics-future-outlook-in-east-looks-brighter-after-bucks-collapse.html

Bob

Im curious Bob. I’m fully aware how much you love Kyle Lowery (Just kidding)  But What do you have against Holiday? To me he just plays hard, never any extra curricular BS on the court and talks very little.

ktron,

Don't like his 'tude.  Besides, anybody who defends Grayson Allen's dirty play is a d**k by association.  Yeah, I know he's a helluva player.  Maybe I'm letting my visceral loathing of Grayson Allen and everything that looks like him color my perspective.  It's like when Zeke defended Laimbeer.  Helluva player, Isiah Thomas, easily a 1st round HOF lock, but when you say good things about Laimbeer (and bad things about Larry Legend) your perch just got dropped.  I'll probably change my opinion about Jrue after he retires, or Grayson Allen gets introduced to Jimmy Hoffa, but until then he has to expect some fleas when he publicly embraces a dog.

Not much of an apology, or even an explanation, was it?   Twisted Evil

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:43 pm

how long a contract does Brogden have? I am truly concerned about Marcus's body starting to give out on him come next year. He plays so darn hard and has had so many injuries this year, you have to wonder, when is it all going to start slowing him down. We do have decisions that have to be made, I love Rob, but he is not a full time center, Al will be coming off the bench at some point I believe, and we need a center who can give us good, strong minutes. So no one is free and clear. I am watching Sacramento, there are alot of young upcoming teams, we have to continue to strengthen our team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:37 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Bob

Im curious Bob. I’m fully aware how much you love Kyle Lowery (Just kidding)  But What do you have against Holiday? To me he just plays hard, never any extra curricular BS on the court and talks very little.

ktron,

Don't like his 'tude.  Besides, anybody who defends Grayson Allen's dirty play is a d**k by association.  Yeah, I know he's a helluva player.  Maybe I'm letting my visceral loathing of Grayson Allen and everything that looks like him color my perspective.  It's like when Zeke defended Laimbeer.  Helluva player, Isiah Thomas, easily a 1st round HOF lock, but when you say good things about Laimbeer (and bad things about Larry Legend) your perch just got dropped.  I'll probably change my opinion about Jrue after he retires, or Grayson Allen gets introduced to Jimmy Hoffa, but until then he has to expect some fleas when he publicly embraces a dog.

Not much of an apology, or even an explanation, was it?   Twisted Evil

Bob

Bob, I missed that. Holiday usually is more on the quiet side. Maybe he should have kept quiet about Grayson Allen.
I know he’s a teammate so he should’ve nothing. He knows Grayson is dirty. (Hoffa introduction lol)
Hard for me to dislike Jrue. Lowry used to be one of my favorite players but i’m in your hate club now. Can’t stand the site of that annoying lil jerk.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon May 01, 2023 4:23 pm

I have stopped indulging in "The future is so bright speculations."

In very recent memory we had Kyrie, Hayward and Horford with Smart, JB and JT on the roster. The present AND the future looked very bright. The trauma has still not left me.

BH, the next time we meet, I will show the scars from banging my head against hard objects.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon May 01, 2023 6:17 pm

Can’t be any worse than me!!! I have spent years trying to rid myself of the memories of you know who, the memories of Hayward going down and never, ever becoming the player he was supposed to be. So..after what just took place in Boston last night with the Bruins, I will go one game at a time and only sit alone here yelling my head off every time Embid goes to the free throw line and Harden falls backwards after jumping into his defender and getting free throws instead of offensive fouls.

I am awful, have been my whole Celtic live!!! So, I feel your pain
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down