worcester
dboss
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NBA Draft prospects Highlight - Page 2 Empty Re: NBA Draft prospects Highlight

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:12 pm

Found this tidbit:

NBA players have a median height-to-standing reach ratio of 1.335:1.

NBAdraft.net says that Jordan Walsh's height without shoes is 6' 5 3/4" without shoes. The median standing reach for a player like Jordan Walsh should be 8' 8".  Walsh's standing reach is 8'11" for a ratio of 1.376:1.

The maximum recorded standing reach at this year's NBA Combine belonged to Maxwell Lewis, a 6' 6 1/4" (w/o shoes) guard/forward taken by the Lakers @ #40.  It was 8' 8 1/2".  Jordan Walsh's 8'11" is 2 1/2" longer than Lewis'.

Derrick White is one of the top shot blockers < 6'6".  He's 6' 3 1/4" without shoes and has a 8' 5 1/2" standing reach.  That's good for 1.349:1.

My point, of course, is that Jordan Walsh has some signficant physical advantages over his peers when it comes to defense.  I realize defense isn't all about physical size, Grant doesn't have that and he still defends 4 positions well, but it sure does help, especially if you have the lateral foot speed and effort and energy level a good defender needs.  I've been watching quite a bit of film on this kid since draft day (I don't follow college sports so I don't really care until they are drafted by our Celtics).  He has the foot speed and other defensive intangibles that could earn him minutes.  I'm becoming convinced that Brad may have pulled off a real coup taking him @ #38.  

With the loss of defensive stalwart Marcus Smart this kid has a legit chance at making the team.  He's in the right place at the right time, and Brad drafted for need. Clearly Jordan Walsh's shooting will limit his opportunities, it may take a few years of practice with coaches to have a reliable jump shot, but he's only 19.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:38 pm

Walsh will be a project, but the team identity this year looks more offense oriented so a defense oriented wing could be a plus.

I didn’t see a ton of the Razorbacks this year and therefore don’t recall a lot about Walsh. With Anthony Black and Nick Smith both on the team, for the most part it seemed like Walsh was in the background. Black and Smith were real standouts, and they had this kid named Mitchell that could put on a rebound clinic. I’m not sure Jordan started games I saw, but it does seem like he was in for long stretches. I don’t remember anything he did standing out except that he was a foul machine. I think it was Walsh that fouled out of a couple of Arkansas games I did see. I do think he positioned himself well on the defensive end, moved well and seemed to keep himself between his man and the basket. I don’t remember anyone getting past him. I also do remember he could rebound. I think it was a game I saw against Georgia that Walsh may have led the team in rebounds. Having height and a wingspan will always help.

I’m not sure he’s NBA ready, but some G League seasoning might help. I think he can score some but isn’t much of a shooter that I remember, but there were other options the Razorbacks had for that. G League could help him work on shooting as well. Maybe he develops into a stopper off the bench. We can always use one of those.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:02 am

I read that Walsh's issues with fouling is because he gets in too close while defending.  That can be coached up and modified.

On the other end, his shooting has improved, according to one of the interviews with Brad that I posted yesterday.  He has "good mechanics", or whatever term Brad used.   That can be coached up and modified.

He is a project and will spend most of his time in Maine.  There is talk of him spending a couple seasons in Europe, but that may just be fan-talk and not out of the Celtics office.

IMO, the 15 player roster will not include Walsh.  He will get offered a 2-way.  He needs coaching and playing time.  He will get that in Maine.

The biggest decision for Brad and Co. is to decide between Brogdon or Grant.  It seems like he can keep one or the other, but not both, in order to stay under the 2nd Apron. Trading Brogdon or S&T Grant away could bring in a rotational piece or just cap relief. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

After that is decided, the bulk of the roster will be filled by ring wraiths.  Veteran players.  There may be a trade or two involving the deep bench, but that is mostly shuffling deck chairs.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:44 pm

Introduction press conference:

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:13 pm

Very likeable kid. I can only imagine whatvit was like growing up with alopecia. Everybody says he won't make the team. I am 100 % certain tgat he will, at least, sign a twoway, and I wouldn't be surprised if he saw some situational minutes, during the season .Defensively, he looks like he could play right now. Summer league is around the corner.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:53 pm

If the Celtics moved Brogdon it would make sense only if you are taking back less money.  If two players were coming back (i.e. a 10 and 12 million guy) you would need a 3rd team.  Or the team you trade with has to have  enough Cap space to better absorb MB contract so that the Celtics can take back less salary.

Also if you send MB out your PG depth is really gone.  The Celtics would need to find a BU PG behind D White unless you think PP can fill that roll.  I do not think that he can.

Losing both Marcus and Malcolm in absence of a replacement may be too much of a gamble.

The other way to go is to let Grant Williams walk.  Grant has been a pretty good rotation guy at $4.3 million.  When you look at how he has developed and consider his ceiling, it does not look to me like he has any upside to consider.  

Malcolm may be easier to trade when he has just one year remaining on his contract.  

I guess if you ask yourself, are the Celtics a better team with Malcolm or with Grant?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:24 pm

Celts are better with Malcolm. Better ball handler, decision maker, scorer, passer.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:35 pm

I think the Celtics are better with Malcolm.

Just wish we could keep both, but the new rules concerning the consequences of going above the second apron are making it into almost a hard cap.

I’m glad we have Brad and Mike Zarren to figure all this out, and I think Brad accumulating all those second round picks on draft night suggests they already have a strategy.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:42 am

I actually meant to put this under the roster rest thread.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:45 am

Was trying to figure out who Jordan Walsh looks like that played in the NBA 

Then I mentioned it to a friend in Boston and he nailed it down for me.

Anyone want to take a stab at the identity?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:09 am

dboss wrote:Was trying to figure out who Jordan Walsh looks like that played in the NBA 

Dboss,

Popeye Jones?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:10 am

dboss wrote:Was trying to figure out who Jordan Walsh looks like that played in the NBA 

Charlie Villanueva

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:48 am

steve3344 wrote:

Charlie Villanueva

Bingo!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:06 am

dboss wrote:
steve3344 wrote:

Charlie Villanueva

Bingo!

Dboss and Steve,

Is that because of the alopecia? How about the shape of his head and face?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2