Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue!

5 posters

Go down

Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue! Empty Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue!

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:15 pm

https://theathletic.com/4655971/2023/06/30/jeff-van-gundy-jalen-rose-espn-layoffs/?source=user_shared_article

ESPN has let go of NBA analysts Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose amid a round of cost-saving layoffs at the network that reportedly includes close to 20 on-air personalities. The New York Post was first to report the news. Here’s what you need to know:

Van Gundy confirmed his news to The Athletic but declined further comment Friday. A source briefed on the decision confirmed Rose is among the cuts.
Van Gundy had served as an NBA analyst for ESPN since 2007, most notably on NBA Finals broadcasts alongside Mike Breen and Mark Jackson.
Rose had also worked for ESPN since 2007, appearing as a studio analyst on “NBA Countdown” since 2012.
The Athletic’s instant analysis:

How surprising is this?

ESPN’s NBA game broadcast production has long been considered one of the company’s strongest units. Where Turner Sports always could boast about “Inside The NBA,” ESPN found great success with its lead NBA team and a major part of that was Van Gundy, who combined a brilliant view of the game with genuine humor and showmanship.

It is a massive loss for viewers. ESPN is under financial pressure from Disney to cut costs but Van Gundy being part of the layoffs was truly unexpected. He was told of the decision on Friday morning. The likely replacement will come from a group of Doris Burke, JJ Redick or a recently fired coach such as Doc Rivers. — Deitsch

Backstory

Van Gundy, 61, just wrapped up his 17th season in the booth for ESPN. Prior to his broadcasting career, Van Gundy had head-coaching stints with the New York Knicks and Houston Rockets.

Rose, 50, recently ended his long-running daily program “Jalen & Jacoby.” He joined the network in 2007 after a 13-year NBA career.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue! Empty Re: Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue!

Post by dbrown4 Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:33 pm

Fridays are never good days to be called into the office for a "meeting". While he was a little goofy at times, he knew his stuff very well and delivered it with confidence and with a high degree of intelligence and knowledge of the game on the court.

He'll be ah-ight.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue! Empty Re: Jeff Van Gundy and Jalen Rose Blown Out as ESPN’s Massive Cuts Continue!

Post by dboss Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:45 pm

will miss jalen Rose.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:31 pm

dboss wrote:will miss Jalen Rose.

Isn't he the guy that would roll his eyes at Paul Pierce every time he thought PP was wearing green glasses with his analysis?

If that is the guy, I was tired of him long ago.

The Van Gundys were okay, Doris and Mark Jackson are annoying, for different reasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:45 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:will miss Jalen Rose.

Isn't he the guy that would roll his eyes at Paul Pierce every time he thought PP was wearing green glasses with his analysis?  

If that is the guy, I was tired of him long ago.

The Van Gundys were okay, Doris and Mark Jackson are annoying, for different reasons.

I like his take on things and he has been one of the big supporters for keeping the Jays together. He is not a click bait guy like perk who is always looking to get a rise.

Everybody has their likes and not likes which makes for wonderful salad bar.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:47 pm

Brutality Update-

Jeff Van Gundy had opinions because of course he had opinions. This was late last month, on the eve of the NBA Finals, and when I chatted with Van Gundy for an enjoyable catch-up conversation, a number of things came up. One that got a lot of attention was Van Gundy saying he’d eliminate free throws until the final four minutes as a way to speed up NBA games given Major League Baseball’s success with its new time-saving rules. He declared he would also eliminate halftime.

“I think halftime is the biggest waste of time,” Van Gundy said, laughing. “Or I’d reduce it to five minutes so you could go to the bathroom and come back out.”

When the topic came up that the Heat-Nuggets series would be his 17th NBA Finals as an analyst, the most NBA Finals called for any television analyst in history, he got introspective.

“It catches up to you really quick,” Van Gundy said. “What started out as sort of a waystation because of some family things and kids and all that between coaching stops, now it’s turned into this secondary profession. Sometimes you have to just be eternally grateful for the opportunity. (Play-by-play voice) Mike Breen and (co-commentator) Mark Jackson took me in long ago, and I’ve had the same boss in (vice president of production) Tim Corrigan the whole time. You’re surrounded by friends, and you get to do the games with people who are great at their jobs. But for me, that didn’t really matter as much as I just needed a job and I needed it to be where I had flexibility. You also know it’s hard in this profession to keep a job. Change happens all the time in every sport. You have to be grateful for what you have at that moment because it can change at any time. At some point, it will change for me. So I’m just incredibly grateful for this opportunity.”

The change came far before he expected. On Friday morning, Van Gundy was informed by ESPN management that he was being let go despite still having time on his contract. He confirmed the news to The Athletic; the New York Post was first with the report. He did not see it coming, nor did the millions of basketball viewers who have watched him over the years.

Van Gundy is part of a round of layoffs that will include well-known names across ESPN, including its NFL staff. You’ve already seen the news of beloved anchor Neil Everett and NHL analyst Chris Chelios. NBA analyst Jalen Rose is also part of the layoffs, The Athleticconfirmed. Suzy Kolber announced she too was part of it. More names will come out, around 20 front-facing talent names in total, including from the NFL group.

“Given the current environment, ESPN has determined it necessary to identify some additional cost savings in the area of public-facing commentator salaries, and that process has begun,” the company said in a statement. “This exercise will include a small group of job cuts in the short term and an ongoing focus on managing costs when we negotiate individual contract renewals in the months ahead. This is an extremely challenging process, involving individuals who have had tremendous impact on our company. These difficult decisions, based more on overall efficiency than merit, will help us meet our financial targets and ensure future growth.”

Disney has put immense pressure on ESPN to cut costs, and the thought from management is that cutting high-profile salaries via layoffs or not re-signing talent (which is going to happen over the next six months) will save many jobs behind the scenes.

You can understand that logic, but someone made a decision on Van Gundy, and it was a terrible one. I’ll spell out why I think that is.

ESPN’s NBA game broadcast production has long been considered one of the company’s strongest units. The production is sound, and even if you don’t like Jackson or Van Gundy — I’m not sure how anyone could criticize Breen — you have to respect how they functionally produce a game. It feels big. Where Turner Sports always could boast about “Inside The NBA” over the various editions of ESPN’s pre- and postgame show, ESPN could boast about its NBA game production, and a major part of that was Van Gundy, who combined a brilliant view of the game with genuine humor and showmanship. He has his old saws, such as banging on the refs, but he educated people on the game, as Hubie Brown did in his prime.

The likely replacement will come from a group of Doris Burke, J.J. Reddick or a recently fired coach such as Doc Rivers. All of them are talented broadcasters, and it would be great to see Burke continue to make history as a pioneering NBA voice. But this decision is brutal.

If you are a Van Gundy fan, I will provide good news: The current media rights deal with ESPN and (Warner Bros. Discovery) is up at the end of the 2024-25 season, and Van Gundy’s contract was timed to the signing of that new deal. The NBA almost assuredly is going to bring a new media partner into its orbit regardless of what happens with incumbents ESPN and WBD.

The calculus for that media company changed today: The best NBA television analyst is now a free agent. Go get him when the time comes.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:40 pm

Jeff Van Gundy is a favorite of mine.

He was a college classmate of my wife at Nazareth University and he and his family have contributed time and money to several organizations in our area, including our widely known and respected high school basketball tournament. His dad was a well known basketball coach with his two sons following in what amounts to the family business.

Surprising to see Jeff, Jalen Rose and Suzy Kolber all get caught up in cost cutting pressure from The Mouse. I'm sure we'll see all three in a new broadcast booth soon. They will probably find even better deals.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:39 pm

Im still trying to sort through this mess and come up with what the reasoning was for popping Van Gundy.
I too liked JVG.
Sure he said some crazy things at times but he is bright with a great personality for color analysis.
I notice when he is not there. There is a void.
I don’t believe that void will last very long. He’ll get work for sure but the national telecasts on ABC/ESPN will not be the same.
Please don’t even consider Doris Burke for his replacement. As a matter of fact, put her back on the sideline reporting gig if you must keep her. She’s tolerable there but only in small doses.

I’m still trying to find out more and if I do you know I’ll share what I have.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down