Celtics17
bobc33
cowens/oldschool
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Jrue Holiday - Page 2 Empty Re: Jrue Holiday

Post by pete Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:10 pm

dboss, I just looked him up. You might be right, 7 footer. You never know which players may flourish on a given team. I try hard not to second guess Brad and crew when it comes to picking role players particularly at this stage.

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:12 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by pete Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:14 pm

Good stuff Bob!

Pete
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:53 pm

You called this, dboss! Nice! And you're right. Now it's J-Cubed, Krispy Porkchop and P-Squared!!

We still can't discount MIA. They took us out much to our chagrin when we had the best chance ever to be the only team to battle back from down 0-3. Yeah, it was an anomaly and will never happen again, but it was on our clock. Love/Respect him or hate him, Pat Reilly is stuck in our craw and has Boston's number, like it or not.

Now it's just about time to let this whole thing play out. Only one team lifts the trophy. Only one team outsmarts all the other 29. You don't have to be perfect or make the perfect moves. You just have to have been the team that made least errors and be the last team standing. It's that simple yet that incredibly, excruciatingly difficult.

Let's play it out!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:35 pm

Hi,
I just found (was busy all day) about the trade for Holiday. Wow. I guess Brad is a gambler.
I didn't expect it. We'll see ...
One of the good things is now we have to pray for only one player staying healthy instead of two.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:41 pm

I'm praying for six to stay healthy.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:10 pm

Weyen is just 6-9. They still need another big imo.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:49 pm

Pumpsie Green wrote:Weyen is just 6-9. They still need another big imo.

Yeah, doubt he’s on the season opening roster.

He would have to beat out the mighty Luke Kornet. Not happening.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:02 pm

NYCelt wrote:

I am on record as being pro-Luke, he is a real big with some skills. That being said, he makes a great fourth big.

I agree with Pumpsie. We need another big.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:02 pm

NYCelt wrote:

He’s an undersized 4, he’s smaller than JT

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:03 pm

Yes Weyen is 6' 9" with a 7' 1" wingspan.  He attended HS in New Hampshire.

The Lakers primarily used him as a small ball center.  He is a high energy guy and really gets up and down the court.  Not much offensive skills but he will slash to the basket and fight for offensive rebounds and block some shots.

I may have mentioned him early during FA.  Overall a low cost low risk addition.  

Still uncertain about our center depth.  It is hard to consider Kornet and think all is well.

If Celtics fans are happy with this trade the name Giannis may be front and center.  You see what happens when the wheel gets to squeaking?  The Lillard trade was made by the Bucks because they want the freak to stay.  Would they still make that trade if they knew Jrue would end up in Boston?

Too bad the Blazers are in tank mode.  Rob's biggest adjustment may be staying motivated while playing on a team that will lose more than they win.

Given the fact the Boston has stacked their team with a bunch of wings, it may be an indication that they will play fast with more small ball lineups. 

There are several options for who will be the 5th starter.  It could be White or Horford or maybe one of those rotation wings who would be tasked as a facilitator and defensive stopper.  You really do not need 5 scorers on the court together especially when you consider that 4 of these guys need shots.

Maybe you bring White and Horford off the bench.  You could build a decent 2nd unit around them  (PG and a Center)

I am just throwing some stuff out there for consideration as I really do not know what direction they will go in.

I watched some highlights on Jrue and he is a fantastic PG.  He's got the whole package.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Pumpsie Green Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:21 pm

gyso wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

I am on record as being pro-Luke, he is a real big with some skills.  That being said, he makes a great fourth big.

I agree with Pumpsie.  We need another big.

Al is long in the tooth. Porz has trouble staying on the court. And Luke can't be the third big. Hopefully Brad has something up his sleeve. One more big and we are going to be very formidable.
Pumpsie Green
Pumpsie Green

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:15 pm

I know I get too attached to our players to be totally objective, but I'm not necessarily loving this trade. Rob has a LOT of basketball ahead of him and Brogdon is three years younger than Drew and just might have been the most efficient offensive small in the league last year. Don't believe me? Look at his fg, 3 pt. and ft percentages and low turnovers. Jrue is 33, and on an expiring contract that I don't know how we possibly match in free agency.Maybe GYSO can figure that one out I'm not sure thar Brogdon , RWill and two firsts isn't too much to pay for a rental.We better win it all with this guy. And , oh yeah, we are , in my opinion, woefully undermanned at the Center position.I hope my analysis is off base and I'm certainly open to hearing why.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:48 pm

So barring some work on the fringes Brad exchanged GWill, RWill, Smart and Brogdon for Holiday and Porzingis.  While also staying below the luxury tax second apron.  I guess this is as good as can be expected barring injury concerns.  For that, we should pray to the injury gods.

I am very happy.  While I liked Smart, I was never particularly attached to him.  I found him to be a little too much show for the substance.  He was our Celtic while he was here and I wish him the best.

RWill on the other hand is more intriguing.  Spectacular athleticism and defensive presence!  But one has wonder that that extremely fast twitch muscle must be putting tremendous strain on the tendons and bones.  No wonder we saw the Celts emphasize that he try to tone it down to stay healthy.  And a toned down RWill is the $11M player that he was signed for.  Seems to compute that the Celts had to throw in 2 firsts to get the deal done.

Lets see what the Celts find on the fringes.  Kornet as the backup 5 is concerning but may be enough to get through the regular season and preserve Al.  We are OK at other positions.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:12 am

prakash wrote:So barring some work on the fringes Brad exchanged GWill, RWill, Smart and Brogdon for Holiday and Porzingis.  While also staying below the luxury tax second apron.  I guess this is as good as can be expected barring injury concerns.  For that, we should pray to the injury gods.

I am very happy.  While I liked Smart, I was never particularly attached to him.  I found him to be a little too much show for the substance.  He was our Celtic while he was here and I wish him the best.

RWill on the other hand is more intriguing.  Spectacular athleticism and defensive presence!  But one has wonder that that extremely fast twitch muscle must be putting tremendous strain on the tendons and bones.  No wonder we saw the Celts emphasize that he try to tone it down to stay healthy.  And a toned down RWill is the $11M player that he was signed for.  Seems to compute that the Celts had to throw in 2 firsts to get the deal done.

Lets see what the Celts find on the fringes.  Kornet as the backup 5 is concerning but may be enough to get through the regular season and preserve Al.  We are OK at other positions.
I'm not going to denigrate your opinion, but I coulsn't disagree more about Smart  He didn't stay in Boston 9 years and get voted defensive player of the year by lacking substance. In my opinion ,he was much more substance than show. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:22 am

Holiday guarding Lillard in Eastern finals would be epic Shades of the rumble in the jungle
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:16 am

jrleftfoot,

I doubt it will end up as a one-year rental. Soon, I expect to see the announcement of an extension.

I believe we can sign him for whatever we want to sign him for because we have his Bird Rights from the trade, etc. In other words, his contract meets all the criteria for an extension.

I've read that his contract may look like Porzingis' contract. Something like 3 years/$90M.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:27 am

gyso wrote:jrleftfoot,

I doubt it will end up as a one-year rental.  Soon, I expect to see the announcement of an extension.

I believe we can sign him for whatever we want to sign him for because we have his Bird Rights from the trade, etc.  In other words, his contract meets all the criteria for an extension.

I've read that his contract may look like Porzingis' contract.  Something like 3 years/$90M.

Gyso

On another subject, how did we get this deal done under the salary cap rules?

I thought since we were over the luxury tax we had to exchange equal salary? Rob and Brogdon only totaled $32.5m in salary and Holiday was like $36m? Did we use Grant’s TPE?

Just curious, thx
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:53 am

I heard last night on sports news here that they were preparing to try to sign Holiday to an extension very soon.. alot like Porzingas. Not fooling around here. Gyso, my son sees Luke every morning he comes into his coffee shop. sometimes alone, sometimes with family. One of the kids working with him was in awe, telling my son he was the tallest guy he had ever seen in his life!!! kid must not get around much or follow basketball!! That is in Lexington, White must live around there too because there was a commotion across the street at the ice cream store one day last week, White showed up there with his kids and everyone was taking pictures. Again. Lexington. I believe, unless something really drastic happens, he is here for the year at least. There are things he does that have a real positive effect on the game when he plays
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:32 am

Saw some really good highlights on Quenta, praying we have something there. Some plays really stood out, a Euro step on a finish running full speed, a reverse lay up on a drive, absolutely taking it right to Kabengele in the post. Kid looked like a legit 7 ft quick twitch athlete on film, something Kornet is not. I believe he has a guaranteed 2 way contract, others don’t even have a guaranteed contract; like Kornet and even Stevens, who can definitely help us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:43 am

Celtics17,

Holiday's cap hit is because of salary plus "likely incentives". Perhaps when trading, the likely incentives are not included.

On that subject, I just read that as a team, we are now over the 2nd apron after the trade, because of the likely incentives of other players, White being included. We lose the little MLE, but the TPE ($6M~ish) is still in play.

On a different subject, I also read that Jrue's extension may have to wait until after this season is over. So, some outlets are saying soon and others are saying not so soon.

That just gives us fans something to worry about, I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:27 am

gyso wrote:Celtics17,

Holiday's cap hit is because of salary plus "likely incentives".  Perhaps when trading, the likely incentives are not included.

On that subject, I just read that as a team, we are now over the 2nd apron after the trade, because of the likely incentives of other players, White being included.  We lose the little MLE, but the TPE ($6M~ish) is still in play.

On a different subject, I also read that Jrue's extension may have to wait until after this season is over.  So, some outlets are saying soon and others are saying not so soon.

That just gives us fans something to worry about, I guess.

Gyso,

Thanks for the response. Understanding all the cap rules is truly a science.

On to basketball, we definitely need front court help. This Gabriel guy is interesting. The problem is both the Bucks and Sixers are bigger and have more depth in their frontcourts. Can the zinger guard Embiid or Giannis? Al is not a youngster anymore, but he is our best defender on those guys. I think JT is going to have check Giannis some this year. I'm thinking we will use double teams more often this year. Coach Lee was brought in for defense. Hopefully he has some schemes up his sleeve.

Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Saw some really good highlights on Quenta, praying we have something there. Some plays really stood out, a Euro step on a finish running full speed, a reverse lay up on a drive, absolutely taking it right to Kabengele in the post. Kid looked like a legit 7 ft quick twitch athlete on film, something Kornet is not. I believe he has a guaranteed 2 way contract, others don’t even have a guaranteed contract; like Kornet and even Stevens, who can definitely help us.

Cowens,

"Moses Brown Redux", huh?  Moses is on a partial guaranteed one-year contract with the Portland Trailblazers, his 6th team in 6 years (2nd time with Portland, so I suppose one could say 7 teams in 6 years, 6 different ones).  Queta is 7'0", 245#, 7'4" wingspan and has a 9'3" standing reach.  He has also only played a grand total of 149 minutes in 2 years with Sacto, only 29 minutes last season, despite having no record of injuries (he got a turf toe injury in this past SL, but I cannot find any news of him missing regular season games due to injuries).  29 minutes?!  Why didn't Sacto play him?  Justin Champagnie played 23 last year and he showed up at the very end of the season.  Kabengele, who was a two-way player who never got on the court for Boston, still played 36 last year. Now that we have Jrue and Lamar Jordan Walsh is supernumerary. He's 4th, at best, on the depth chart at wing, and I'll make a bet right now he'll play more than 29 minutes this coming season.

I doubt Luke is going anywhere, at least not until January.  His $2.4M contract is fully guaranteed on 1/10/24.  So, he'll either be cut before 1/10 to save the money, he'll be moved before 1/10 so that the acquiring team can cut him, or he'll be around for a while because a legit 7'2" NBA center who is the apple of Brad Stevens' eyes isn't going anywhere just because we want better.  And if we replace him with Queta how much will we save?  We'll have to pay Queta the minimum, and this year that's $1.1M.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:04 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Saw some really good highlights on Quenta, praying we have something there. Some plays really stood out, a Euro step on a finish running full speed, a reverse lay up on a drive, absolutely taking it right to Kabengele in the post. Kid looked like a legit 7 ft quick twitch athlete on film, something Kornet is not. I believe he has a guaranteed 2 way contract, others don’t even have a guaranteed contract; like Kornet and even Stevens, who can definitely help us.

Cowens,

"Moses Brown Redux", huh?  Moses is on a partial guaranteed one-year contract with the Portland Trailblazers, his 6th team in 6 years (2nd time with Portland, so I suppose one could say 7 teams in 6 years, 6 different ones).  Queta is 7'0", 245#, 7'4" wingspan and has a 9'3" standing reach.  He has also only played a grand total of 149 minutes in 2 years with Sacto, only 29 minutes last season, despite having no record of injuries (he got a turf toe injury in this past SL, but I cannot find any news of him missing regular season games due to injuries).  29 minutes?!  Why didn't Sacto play him?  Justin Champagnie played 23 last year and he showed up at the very end of the season.  Kabengele, who was a two-way player who never got on the court for Boston, still played 36 last year.  Now that we have Jrue and Lamar Jordan Walsh is supernumerary.  He's 4th, at best, on the depth chart at wing, and I'll make a bet right now he'll play more than 29 minutes this coming season.

I doubt Luke is going anywhere, at least not until January.  His $2.4M contract is fully guaranteed on 1/10/24.  So, he'll either be cut before 1/10 to save the money, he'll be moved before 1/10 so that the acquiring team can cut him, or he'll be around for a while because a legit 7'2" NBA center who is the apple of Brad Stevens' eyes isn't going anywhere just because we want better.  And if we replace him with Queta how much will we save?  We'll have to pay Queta the minimum, and this year that's $1.1M.

Bob

I said I’m hoping, hope not hop. Must be a reason Brad signed him, otherwise why wouldn’t he go after a Noel, who can still defend and do dirty work? We’ll just have to see, but his highlights were impressive to me and he was runner up in MVP voting in the G-League. You better hope he can earn minutes, we’re now thin at the 5 again. Luke is a good story, but is unplayable against playoff competition.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:28 pm

Jrue will wear #4. He can't wear his former #21, of course, it's retired for Bill Sharman.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next