willjr
RosalieTCeltics
prakash
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Buy Out Market Empty Buy Out Market

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:29 pm

We have 14 players, so we have an open spot. Brad has said he's going to be patient. This makes sense but it also doesn't. He doesn't want to sign another big, and then have a guard get injured, or visa versa. That's the upside of waiting. The downside is that the best talent will sign soon.

Spencer Dinwiddie is reportedly going to sign with the Lakers.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Buy Out Market Empty Re: Buy Out Market

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:53 pm

Reporting is that Thaddeus Young is signing with the Phoenix Suns.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:01 am

I was hopeful that Young may choose us. Oh well!

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:14 am

prakash wrote:I was hopeful that Young may choose us.  Oh well!

Prakash,

I'm a well-known fan of Thaddeus, but I'm not sure how much he has left.  He's almost 35 1/2 and hasn't been used much this year and I don't know why not.

I've always been amazed at how effective he has been over his long career only going left.  It's as predictable as the sun rising in the southeast in the northern hemisphere, no matter what he does first he will always, always, always try to finish with his left, and yet he gets the job done anyway.  That's why I laugh when I hear fans on the Comments From The Other Side threads put down Jaylen because his left hand isn't as good as his right, I just think of Thaddeus Young and think "yeah, don't you wish you had that "problem" on your team?".

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:09 am

I, too, have been a Young fan for a long time. BobH once offered to trade Hayward for Young, many years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!! From what I have read about him and his game, he has very little left in the tank, but is an awesome locker room guy. Maybe Phoenix needs that??? I do not think we do with Al, Jrue and the two J's. All I keep reading about is Gallinari, and I just do not see that move happening, on either side. The one thing I will say is, if they did sign him, maybe it would light a fire under Hauser and Pritchard a little, as he might take some minutes away from them. He was ticked off when he got traded from here, as management had told him nothing was happening. Hey Gallo, talk to Marcus about that!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:30 pm

Players recently released:

Frank Ntilikina - 25 years old.  6'5".  He's another Aaron Nesmith, a shooter that never found his shot.  The difference between them is that Frankie was taken #8 and Aaron was 14th.  Not a good defender and, if you play for Thibs (he was drafted by the Knicks) then you better defend.  Released by Charlotte after they traded Gordon Hayward, which says something.  The Hayward trade opened up minutes for a scorer, and Charlotte said "no thanks" to Frankie N. Me too.  

Killian Hayes - 22 years old but in the league 4 years.  Started 145 games of his total 210, 31 out of 42 this year.  #7 pick in the 2020 draft.  6'5".  NOT a good 3pt shooter, but a solid passer (career 5.2apg, 2.0TOpg).  Requested a trade from Detoit (who can blame him?), so they released him.  Interesting that nobody was even willing to give Detroit a second rounder for him.  No takers, huh?  It's hard to figure out if he's a good defender on a dumpster fire like the Pistons. He's a pretty good energy player, at least on offense.

Gallinari is signing with Milwaukee.  I don't think Brad could have signed him because he was on our roster last year and we traded him.

Delon Wright is signing with Miami.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:29 pm

I have read that there was a way Brad could have signed Gallinari, Let’s face it, Gallo was ticked off when he got traded, he thought he was going to get a shot at helping this team. He is still a shooter, but he has not been burning down the basket with his shooting. Did we really want a disgruntled player at the end of the bench? I don’t think so, I wonder if this was really never considered. It kind of reminds me of the IT situation where Brad could have, a couple of times, signed him to a ten day and never bit. Sometimes you just cannot go back, much as I loved Gallo when he was healthy (and IT).
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:21 pm

bobheckler wrote:

Prakash,

I'm a well-known fan of Thaddeus, but I'm not sure how much he has left.  He's almost 35 1/2 and hasn't been used much this year and I don't know why not.

I've always been amazed at how effective he has been over his long career only going left.  It's as predictable as the sun rising in the southeast in the northern hemisphere, no matter what he does first he will always, always, always try to finish with his left, and yet he gets the job done anyway.  That's why I laugh when I hear fans on the Comments From The Other Side threads put down Jaylen because his left hand isn't as good as his right, I just think of Thaddeus Young and think "yeah, don't you wish you had that "problem" on your team?".

Bob

Speaking of going left, is my memory correct is recalling that Walter Berry of the Trailblazers was the ultimate going left guy?

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm

prakash wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Prakash,

Bob

Speaking of going left, is my memory correct is recalling that Walter Berry of the Trailblazers was the ultimate going left guy?

Your memory is spot on. Walter Berry, one of my favorite college players ever, who I also played against in the Coney Island summer league in 1980, almost strictly was a “going left only” player. There was some unbelievable talent in that league, present company excluded, Berry, Vern Fleming, Eric Marbury (Stephon’s older brother), Jaden Springer’s dad Gary. And a few others who had D-1 offers and stellar reputations in the five boroughs or Long Island. bounce A great time in my life.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:20 am

willjr wrote:
prakash wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Prakash,

Bob

Your memory is spot on. Walter Berry, one of my favorite college players ever, who I also played against in the Coney Island summer league in 1980, almost strictly was a “going left only” player. There was some unbelievable talent in that league, present company excluded, Berry, Vern Fleming, Eric Marbury (Stephon’s older brother), Jaden Springer’s dad Gary. And a few others who had D-1 offers and stellar reputations in the five boroughs or Long Island. bounce A great time in my life.

Geez Will

You must have had a nice game to compete against those guys.

Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:01 pm

Celtics17 wrote:
willjr wrote:
prakash wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Prakash,

Bob

Geez Will

Don’t know how well I actually competed with them. I was good enough to play at the Junior College level but I had no illusions (or delusions 😂). At the time you could enter as an independent team (a bunch of guys who grew up playing together) or as a returning high school team. I played on a state championship high school team. The Spurs Devin Vassell father was our starting point guard.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:38 am

willjr wrote:
Celtics17 wrote:
willjr wrote:
prakash wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

Prakash,

Bob

Geez Will

Don’t know how well I actually competed with them. I was good enough to play at the Junior College level but I had no illusions (or delusions 😂). At the time you could enter as an independent team (a bunch of guys who grew up playing together) or as a returning high school team. I played on a state championship high school team. The Spurs Devin Vassell father was our starting point guard.

Very cool, that must have been exciting. Those are definitely some elite players.

My high school team was also state champs, but I wasn't good enough to make the team I did play with those guys a lot on the playgrounds and I'll always remember those games.

Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:34 pm

Will,

I think you're selling yourself short.

Even to play Juco ball, you need above average talent.

Those must have been some great games and some memorable experiences.

This also explains some of your keen insights into the game we have had the pleasure to read.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:47 pm

Will I couldn’t help being curious, how tall are you and what position did you play?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:03 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Will I couldn’t help being curious, how tall are you and what position did you play?

Cow, I’m 6’-3”. Played mostly small forward. Was only an average ball handler and jump shooter which was why I only played the two depending on the matchup, I was more of a slasher/driver. I was a pretty good passer and defender with long arms and I also had good leaping ability. Could dunk with two hands from a standing start.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:08 am

NYCelt wrote:Will,

This also explains some of your keen insights into the game we have had the pleasure to read.

Thanks NYCelt, I appreciate your kind words. Like most people, the age of 18-22 was the best time of my life.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:07 am

willjr wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Will,

Thanks NYCelt, I appreciate your kind words. Like most people, the age of 18-22 was the best time of my life.

How very cool that you played against these guys. Yes, it is indeed very cool to be able touch a level below the elite.

I used to play badminton and had the good/mis-fortune of going against the Indian national champion a couple of times. Just being able to stay on the court for a little bit is a precious memory.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Mike Muscala has been released by Detroit.

We are all familiar with Moose Muscala.  He's a finesse big, Decent 3pt shooter (37.6% career) and frito shooter (83% career).  Not a great rebounder (makes Kelly Olynyk look like Moses Malone).  Almost 32 1/2 years old.  Has averaged 2.7ppg in 8.5mpg in 35 playoff games.

IF it came down to between Moose Muscala or Neemias Queta for the 15th spot who would you go with?  They're both bigs, but very different kinds.  Queta is all around the basket, is a board monster, but is a 66.7% career frito shooter and doesn't take 3s (he has taken exactly zero 3pt fgas in his career).  It's 3pt offense, mediocre defense and veteran savvy vs defense, rebounding but limited offense and hack-a-Q.

Of course Brad could go the other way and get a wing but, as far as bigs go, can we cull at least one of these two out of the running?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:19 pm

I wonder if the reason they have not signed Queta to a contract and filled that position is the fact that he fouls so much.  I cannot believe Muscala would help more than Queta, at least he is active under the basket.  Something is puzzling here
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:29 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I wonder if the reason they have not signed Queta to a contract and filled that position is the fact that he fouls so much.  I cannot believe Muscala would help more than Queta, at least he is active under the basket.  Something is puzzling here

Rosalie,

According to Brad he's waiting to sign the 15th man because he's conscious that injuries might influence which direction he goes.  If he signs Queta now, and Sam goes down with an injury for example, then he wouldn't have the open roster spot to be able to go out and sign a wing to replace him.  

At some point I'm assuming he will sign someone.  Any player not waived by March 1st (this Friday) would be ineligible for the playoffs, so I doubt any decision will be made before Brad knows what all his options are.  Assuming a player was waived before March 1st the last day to sign them and have them available for the playoffs is the last day of the regular season on April 14th.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:20 am

Danny Green was on WEEI

A guy like that you could probably wait on.

There is no need to rush things. If a big goes down you elevate Queta if not you sign green in the middle of March.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 am

I don't understand the focus on Queta as a candidate for the 15th roster spot. Now that we have Tillman, Queta is redundant.

Porzingis, Horford, Kornet, Tillman. I think we got it covered.

We just got two young players with "Strong Defense" on their resumes. One is a big and one is a small. Tillman and Springer came complete with Bird Rights, so there is a nod to the future with them. They are both young and could be coached up over time to be more polished.

Maybe the player picked up off of waivers will be a wing, with "Strong Defense" on his resume. Someone still relatively young and with the same ingredients: Young, good at a couple of things (defense, for one in this case), coachable, with future low-cost availability.

Brad is thinking long term here, IMO, and may not be looking for a one and done guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:21 am

Patty Mills is being bought out by Atlanta.

Not a wing, in fact he is a 35 1/2 year old 6'2" guard, but he is a career 38.9% 3pt fg% shooter.  He hasn't played in a few weeks due to a non-COVID illness, not injury.  Must be one helluva flu.  Having said that he still has only played 202 minutes this season.  We have board members in the Atlanta area.  Is this because he doesn't have it anymore, or because Atlanta's going with youth like the way OKC sat Horford even though he obviously still can play?

I agree with GYSO in an earlier post by him, we don't need Queta now that we have Tillman.  Therefore, barring an imminent injury to a big that forces me to reconsider this, what Brad should do is either get a wing for depth behind Sam (now that Lamar is gone) or a quality scoring guard for depth behind Payton (which Springer is not).  Danny Green is 6'6" vs 6'2", but he's almost 37 years old and only played 18 minutes in 2 games this year.  In other words he  hasn't really played at all this year and 36 years and 252 days (and counting) is a long time for a guy that age to be away from competition against younger, quicker players.  Philly seems to be the place where overrated players go to enjoy their retirement, even when they are still active players (see Harris, Tobias; Fultz, Markelle and Simmons, Ben.  They drafted Jrue Holiday, traded him to NOP for Nerlens Noel and a pick and he has flourished everywhere he's been since then), and if they released Danny Green after just 2 games... Shocked

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:14 pm

BobH

No one can figure out the Hawks, not even the Hawks. They are an awful mess. Patti has not played a lot this year. There is no problem with their offense but their defense stinks. They give up more points than they score. What they need most is BU PG that can defend. Patti does not help them with that and they do not need his offense.

I always like Patti Mills but I do not see him as a guy we should go after. I prefer Green because he has more size.

Atlanta is 10th in the East and probably will make it into the 4 team playin round. They could get hot and win 2 games and end up at 8 when all the smoke clears. Then we would play them in the first round. Teams that can score 120 PPG are dangerous even if they are not known to play defense.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:03 pm

Just a reminder, the buyout deadline for players who would be eligible for the playoffs is TODAY, March 1st.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down