+5
Berlin-T
MDCelticsFan
NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery Empty Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery

Post by 112288 Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 pm

Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery
February, 10, 2012
FEB 10

By ESPNBoston.com

Rajon Rondo at last year's All-Star game.
In offering his All-Star selections, Grantland's Bill Simmons suggests the Celtics should consider dealing point guard Rajon Rondo:
I'm fine with leaving off Rajon Rondo (or Kyrie Irving, or the rejuvenated Brandon Jennings) because [the Eastern Conference is] loaded at point already with Rose and Williams, even if Rondo is averaging a 14-10-5, shooting 50 percent from the field and still giving us those one-of-a-kind Rondo highlights. Am I slowly coming to the realization that I've been in deep denial about the Rondo era? Yeah, a little bit. Any smart team (like the Lakers last night) plays six feet off Rondo in tight games, daring him to shoot, paralyzing Boston's offense and leading to the dreaded "Clogged Toilet" play (Pierce ending up with the ball 25 feet from the hoop with seven seconds left trying to create something). It's almost like playing with a handicap. Screw that, it IS like playing with a handicap. It's also curious that the Celtics came alive defensively when Rondo missed eight games, mostly thanks to Avery Bradley, who flashed Tony Allen/Bruce Bowen-type potential as a perimeter defender (and that's not hyperbole).5 For the first time, I find myself hoping they deal Rondo — for instance, maybe it could be a three-teamer with Pau Gasol and Keyon Dooling going to Houston; Luis Scola, Goran Dragic, Kyle Lowry and L.A.'s 2012 no. 1 going to Boston; and Rondo and Jermaine O'Neal going to the Lakers. He needs a change of scenery, and really, so might Celtics fans. I can't watch another 84-82 game with his guy playing five feet off him. I really can't. Enough already.

Back to top Go down

Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery Empty Re: Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Sadly I know how he feels, we might have won despite Rondo all these years....I'd take Jeremy Lin over Rondo in a second

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery Empty Re: Simmons: Rondo needs a change of scenery

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 am

Cowans,

Where was Danny, asleep at the wheel. All he had to do is cross "The Longfellow Bridge" over the Charles and you would have found him.

Oh by the way, against the Lakers he scored 38 points 13-23 from the field, 10-13 from the foul line, and yes 2-4 from 3 point land, 7 assists, and 2 steals.

NOW THAT'S A POINT GUARD! THIS KID IS NO FLUKE!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:16 am

Its impossible to watch ESPN or any sports coverage and not see how unbelievable, unprecedented, fuckin amazing this run by Lin has been in the last 4 games. How many teams can lose their 2 best players and get carried on their back by an unknown 11th or 12 man......now they have Magic Johnson commenting on this kid? who knew? nobody, unbelievable story you couldn't script in a movie.

On Rondo, hes in a funk, is he tuning everyone out? Hes never been this bad in last stages of a tight game. Still never seen a team defend a starting point by playing 5-6 feet off him to give him a wide open look, oh we've seen that for how many seasons now on our team? I mean another team.
His defense has definitely regressed, shooting is regressed....maybe his wrist is still bothering him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:32 am

I dunno guys.

Seems like Rondo is getting thrown under the bus and I just can't see it. There are several issues with the team this year but I can't see how it all comes down to Rondo.

Does he have his minuses? Sure; but how many players excel in every facet of the game? Rondo has amazing court vision, can thread a pass through the tightest space, is as fast as they come and can rebound and defend. A little spotty on the long jumper and from the stripe? Yes. But surround him with the right talent (i.e. a 2-guard who can shoot and a wing who can run) and you're talking about something dangerous.

Rondo does seem to get into a funk sometimes, but you could almost see it coming. Put a greyhound in with an aging team and he's ready to play at a pace they cannot. As a point guard, who would be a better pick that's in the league right now? Westbrook may be the best, but after that? Rose? OK. CP3; they're already talking about the knee issues. Williams; maybe, but an uneven performer. Holiday, Irving and Wall look good, but it's too soon to say. Parker, Nash and Kidd are all well into the back nine now, maybe approaching the 18th green. So Rondo may be in the top 5 to 7 at his position if you buy my point.

I think Rondo is a symptom, not the disease. Change is coming, because it must. Throw Rondo in with a quicker lineup that looks kind of like the Hawks or maybe Bulls (as examples for athletic comparison with just a little more quickness) and then let's see what happens.

Just my $.02.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Rondo is being unfairly blamed for almost all the Celtic woes. He has some flaws, but there are some venimous posters here that want to make him a scapegoat. He can't box out 7 footers, and he can't give geritol to aging players. I hope he rises from the burning ashes like the flight of the Phoenix, and not a flight to Phoenix without the rest of the Celtics.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:36 pm

That's venomous MD.

I'm not interested in making Rondo a scapegoat but I can't help notice that the team had been playing much better without him lately.

Maybe it's all their fault because they're too old or too tired or whatever. Perhaps you're right and Rondo knows how this team should play the game.

If that's your opinion fine, but you don't have to call others who see it differently venomous.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Guy's,

Here is my take with no emotions attached and not wearing "Rose Colored Glasses" as a "Homer".

Rondo's positives

* Rondo has great speed and court vision and there is no one in the league except John Wall or the kid from Cleveland who can use their speed and agility to break down defenses and get to the basket.

* Rondo is a great passer as well and can find the open man as good as any has past or presence.

HOWEVER

Rondo also comes with some baggage.

*Namely "attitude" and a habit of not following Doc's orders.

* Rondo also has some major flaws in his overall game and if he is not playing his running and gunning style of basketball, these deficiencies become magnified. He then becomes just an ordinary point guard at best.

* He cannot hit consistently (high percentage) a 10 -18 foot jump shot. Teams give him that all day. You can plainly see him get the "Open Look", "Hesitate", then pass off. Because of this, defenses sag and do not allow the Celtics big's to work their inside game, nor does it allow guys to cut to the basket for layups.

*He cannot shoot foul shots at a respectable percentage (75% and up). This is where teams get into "Hack a Rondo" knowing that he'll shoot 50 - 60% at the line. For a point guard to have this deficiency is disastrous especially in a closing minutes of a close and important game. In past years you saw Rondo being benched for a better foul shooting guard. This really hurts your team when you need you top point guard on the floor, not on the bench.

Well that's my take and overview of Rondo. Is Rondo's cup of water half empty or half full. That is in the eye of the beholder Celtic fan. By the way as we have passion in arguing and defending our players, we should all be making $10 million a year like Rondo!

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:57 pm

Funny, we are down 16+ points, in comes Bradley and we cut it to 5 points!

Hummmmmmm

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:10 pm

112288:

No disrespect to Bradley. However, I doubt if he had the fortitude to play after the crippling injurious cheap shot Riley's puppet D. Wade gave Rajon in the play-offs last spring. You know, where Rondo played the rest of the play-offs with one arm. He could have been, "The Fugative". I think David Jansen still looking for Rondo.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:20 pm

MD,

We are not talking last year and yes he played despite a severe injury, that is all well and good. What I talked about in my post above is spot on to who Rondo is as a player. I am not making up my comment, it is drawn from a multitude of professional sources and personally witnessing what Rondo can do and cannot do. Also who mentioned Bradley, where did he pop up from. The discussion is solely about Rondo. Who he is and is not.

But if you want to talk about Bradley, remember that Bradley has not had the game tutoring that Rondo had in 2007 - 2008, and he had the benefit of 4 super stars masking his errors, and so he learned and got better by playing. Same for Bradley in his starts this season. All must admit that he is far superior this year then from last year's junk time ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:43 pm

112288:

Bradley has positive attributes that can contribute to the success of the Celtics. Hopefully, those will increase with time and experience. However, Rondo generally has a knack for making the superstars that pulled him along in '07-'08 look good by knowing and being able to feed these guys in the manner and at the spots on the court to give them the greatest chance for success too.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:53 pm

MD,

No question, agree with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 pm

112288:

Hey, I thought Agree was a cream rinse. I'm bald and I don't have any need for that kind of stuff! (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:08 pm

MD,

I guess you do have skin in the game with this conversation!

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:33 pm

112288:

I'd never get in a 'skins game. I can't play golf. I'd lose my shirt if I did. Then, I'd have to see my dentist & dermatologist and get by by the Skin of my Teeth. (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Wow your good!

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks, I can do the 6 degrees of separation too. Unfortunately 5 of them are in my shoulder from an old football injury. (LOL)

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Bata Bing!

Take my wife please!

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

112288:

I refuse to steal any of Henny Youngman's material. Careful how you use Bada Bing, that was the name of Tony Soprano's night club.

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:20 pm

MD,

A lot of skin there! To work there all you need is the bare essentials!

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:20 pm

112288:

You know it! And it was Drea DeMAteo who was showing the most skin. (Christopher's girl friend)-the one who forcibly sold out to the Feds. She bore more than her soul to be sure

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:51 am

go to Redsarmy.com, looks like I'm not the only one disappointed in his play, is he gonna turn into the next Devin Harris?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Now that Rondo scored a triple double today, how eager are we to ship him off to God knows where?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:17 pm

To all those who think Rondo needs a change of scenery, buy him a new condo or mansion. But please make sure it's within a 20 mile radius of TD Garden! Thanks, Rajon for the triple double!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next