the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread

+4
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
Sam
Matty
8 posters

Go down

the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread Empty the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread

Post by Matty Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:51 am

first up, Marcus Camby has reportedly been talked to by the Celtics (one of several teams) and there is some mutual interest
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landing/?blockID=733924&feedID=5212

if he wantrs to sign for the vet min and help hoist #18.. im totaly down for it.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread Empty Re: the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread

Post by Sam Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:25 pm

I hear that the Celtics can get Camby for less than the veteran's minimum because of a little known rule that Social Security receipts can be deducted from free agent salaries.

Is it true that Marcus will make his decision based on which city has the best assisted living facilities?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread Empty Re: the semi quasi unofficial, but slightley important F/A rumors pertaining to the C's Thread

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:35 pm

He's 38 freaking years old!

He's going to be in the room next to Juwan Howard in the assisted living facility.

Thanks, I'll pass. I realize this isn't an either/or situation, but I'd rather give Steamer the handful of minutes Camby would be on the floor, running over people's feet with his wheelchair, on top of however many minutes Doc gives Steamer anyway.

Do you know he only played 19 games last year and only 40 the year before that? He makes JON, who played 25 games last year, look like Ironman. Camby's specialty is blocking shots. /36mpg, last year, he blocked 2.3/game. JON blocked 2.7/game. He couldn't even beat broken down old nag of a player JON in the one area that's his specialty.

No, Danny, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:41 pm

I'll pass on Camby also. Let Steamer gets the minutes he has earned.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Roy Hibbert was offered 4-year, $58M from Blazers. Supposedly, another team has offered that too. He's a restricted F/A, so Indiana can match.

So, Portland has LaMarcus Aldridge, drafted Damon Lilliard at point and Meyers Leonard at center, and now want Hibbert.

For those who thought that Hibbert was an off-season pickup option for the Celtics, I'd say "no".

http://www.hoopsworld.com/report-hibbert-gets-max-deal-offer-from-blazers

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 pm

If Hibbert signs with Portland, expect him to incur a career ending injury within months. Isn't that what happens to all Portland stars?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Supposedly, Camby is looking for a 2-3 year deal making at least $3m/year.

It didn't take long before the ridiculous contracts started to be offered to free agents. The lockout doesn't seem to be keeping salaries down.
With many teams having money to spend, they are/will be bidding against each other to sign free agents.

With Ray and Green on the Celtics radar, it doesn't look like they will have any money left to sign another teams free agent.

tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:26 pm

Nenad Krstic has a buyout clause in his contract with his team in Moscow and is expected to use it.

While he is a free agent and can sign with any team, Boston retains his Bird rights.

In other news, Greg Stiemsma visited the Minnesota Timberwolves the other day. He is a restricted free agent, with a qualifying offer on the table from the Celtics, but the money that was thrown at Hibbert makes Steamer's offer seem paltry. It is possible he might be priced out of our hands, even though we can match any offer. Let's hope KG will call him up and whisper a few F---ing nothings in his ear and lure him back.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 pm

bobheckler wrote:Nenad Krstic has a buyout clause in his contract with his team in Moscow and is expected to use it.

While he is a free agent and can sign with any team, Boston retains his Bird rights.

In other news, Greg Stiemsma visited the Minnesota Timberwolves the other day. He is a restricted free agent, with a qualifying offer on the table from the Celtics, but the money that was thrown at Hibbert makes Steamer's offer seem paltry. It is possible he might be priced out of our hands, even though we can match any offer. Let's hope KG will call him up and whisper a few F---ing nothings in his ear and lure him back.

bob

bob,

We can match any offer, but there is a catch. Lets say Minnisota gives him a offer sheet with a $2 million first year salary (or 3mil., or 4mil., whatever, things are getting crazy for bigs) . We do not have any Bird rights on Greg, so we have to use another of our exceptions to make up the money. We can only match by using all or part of our Mid Level Exception (5.8mil-ish) or our Bi-Annunal Exception (1.99mil-ish). There is a little more to it, but I gotta go. It has to do with not going over the luxury tax level to even use the two exceptions I mentioned.

Question is, do we want to use part of an exception for Greg and give up the flexibility to sign a Mayo-type player?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:15 pm

gyso wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Nenad Krstic has a buyout clause in his contract with his team in Moscow and is expected to use it.

bob

bob,

We can match any offer, but there is a catch. Lets say Minnisota gives him a offer sheet with a $2 million first year salary (or 3mil., or 4mil., whatever, things are getting crazy for bigs) . We do not have any Bird rights on Greg, so we have to use another of our exceptions to make up the money. We can only match by using all or part of our Mid Level Exception (5.8mil-ish) or our Bi-Annunal Exception (1.99mil-ish). There is a little more to it, but I gotta go. It has to do with not going over the luxury tax level to even use the two exceptions I mentioned.

Question is, do we want to use part of an exception for Greg and give up the flexibility to sign a Mayo-type player?

gyso

gyso,

Thanks for the clarification.

My answer to your question is "YES!".

Bigs that can play quality minutes are at a premium and Steamer can do that. Assuming Doc is satisfied with his absorption of Doc's playbook, he's ahead of everyone else and, more importantly I think, already has KG's respect.

Aside from not being a big Mayo fan, wings are a easy to come by. 6'11" shotblockers ranked #2/48mpg, with NBA bodies, can hit free throws and have a mid-range shot are not. I'd rather lock Steamer in than a Mayo.

Dorell Wright just became available. This kid can shoot lights out too. Don't be put off by his shooting %, he can shoot. Compare him to Mayo. His fg% is better, his 3pt fg% is comparable, his ft% is comparable. Mayo score more points per 36mpg, but that's because he shoots more. Wright is a much better rebounder. Wright can play SG and SF because he's 6'7". And, last but not least, Wright will be cheap, Mayo is not.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wrighdo01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayooj01.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:01 pm

got this on off of Boston Globe, regarding how much Boston is willing to spend this season:

"Ainge said the Celtics are trying to use the full mid-level exception to sign a player, which would put the Celtics at a hard salary cap of $74 million. He wouldn't comment on a report that the team is interested in free-agent center Marcus Camby."
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Chris Wilcox has been cleared for contact. He has been in North Carolina lifting weights and doing cardio, according to David Aldridge.

Between him and Sully that is one bruising frontcourt. Do we need both?

bob

Subsequent edit: What's intriguing to me is that with Steamer coming on (assuming he comes back) and Melo this gives Wilcox more of a chance to play PF instead of C. He's actually better built for 4 than 5.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:01 pm

Per Red's Army, this morning, OJ Mayo has informed teams that he is not interested in playing for the mid-level exemption. Jason Terry, however, has not ruled it out.

Mayo came off the bench and averaged less than 27mpg the last 2 years and he thinks he's worth more than $5M per.

Momma always said "stupid is as stupid does".

Well, regardless, this kills any prospect of him coming here.

Works for me.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I don't know if he would have been a good fit anyways,Bob. Looks like he has a very high estimation of himself. Team player???? Self absorbed??? This younger generation is terrific, isn't it?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 pm

[quote="RosalieTCeltics"]I don't know if he would have been a good fit anyways,Bob. Looks like he has a very high estimation of himself. Team player???? Self absorbed??? This younger generation is terrific, isn't it?[/quote]

Rosalie,

Some, just some. Of course, that's true of every generation, is it not? "The Greatest Generation" also produced unabashed Hitler-fan Charles Lindbergh and Joseph McCarthy.

I agree with your opinion of Mayo as a good fit for us. I don't believe he is, but I'm deliberately trying to NOT include this alleged position of his in that assessment. What I meant, when I said "works for me", is that I don't want us to sign him and if his demands are making that less likely then I'm happy. If you thought you were worth more wouldn't you dig your heels in, at least in the beginning of negotiations, and demand more? I don't think he's worth it, but I'm trying not to hold it against him for asking. Ambition is a good thing and we're not talking chump change here, we're talking about the difference between $5M/year and maybe $8M. How much is enough? I don't know, but I do know that an extra $3M/year for doing the same job is worth staking out a position for.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:43 pm

That's fine Bob, my thought is, just what has he done to have the opinion that he is worth so much more?? I am all for anyone getting paid as much as they can, heck, my husband and his father were both union presidents and fought for everyone, regardless of what they did. My opinion is based on what I have seen of him and what he has done thus far. If he was so good, why are they letting him go and chasing 37 year old Ray Allen. That's all.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:15 pm

If the report on another thread is true, it appears the Celtics are pursuing Jason Terry instead of OJ Mayo. Even though Mayo is much younger, I think Terry is a better option.

I have to agree with Rosalie -- I'm skeptical of Mayo. It's not so much the eye test, because when I see him play, he doesn't look so bad. But he shoots a lousy percentage (40.8% last season and 43.3% for his career), and his numbers show a disturbing downward trend over his four years. It's also unsettling how much effort Memphis has put into attempting to trade him the past two seasons, which makes me wonder about his general attitude and effect on team chemistry.

I find Jason Terry's "jet" antics annoying, but he was a key part of the Mavs' championship, and Dallas seems to have liked having him around.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Outside wrote:If the report on another thread is true, it appears the Celtics are pursuing Jason Terry instead of OJ Mayo. Even though Mayo is much younger, I think Terry is a better option.

I have to agree with Rosalie -- I'm skeptical of Mayo. It's not so much the eye test, because when I see him play, he doesn't look so bad. But he shoots a lousy percentage (40.8% last season and 43.3% for his career), and his numbers show a disturbing downward trend over his four years. It's also unsettling how much effort Memphis has put into attempting to trade him the past two seasons, which makes me wonder about his general attitude and effect on team chemistry.

I find Jason Terry's "jet" antics annoying, but he was a key part of the Mavs' championship, and Dallas seems to have liked having him around.

Outside

Bingo.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down