swedeinestonia
MDCelticsFan
Berlin-T
9 posters

Go down

Celtics sign Dooling to 1-year deal Empty Celtics sign Dooling to 1-year deal

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 pm

CSNE

The Boston Celtics continue to add to what's shaping up to be one of the deeper benches in the NBA for this upcoming season.

Boston has signed veteran guard Keyon Dooling to a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum, according to his agent.

"He's excited to be back," said Dooling's agent, Kenge Stevenson. "He loves Doc (Rivers), hs teammates. It's a good situation for him."

Dooling, who came to Boston via trade prior to the start of last season, gives the Celtics yet another versatile defender in the backcourt.

He joins what's starting to look like a very crowded backcourt that include starters Rajon Rondo and Avery Bradley, in addition to recently-signed Courtney Lee and Jason Terry.

Stevenson said there were other teams that had expressed interest in Dooling, but his preference all along was to return to Boston.

"He really loves the city, the organization," Stevenson said. "He's exactly where he wants to be."

The 6-foot-3 guard spent most of his lone season in Boston on the sideline nursing injuries, but proved to be a positive influence in the locker room.

And when healthy, he showed flashes of why the C's were so eager to pair him up with Bradley at times to create one of the NBA's better on-the-ball defensive backcourt tandems.

He appeared in 46 games (two starts), but averaged a career-low 4 points per game.

And while Dooling didn't play major minutes, players frequently talked about how the veteran's presence on the bench and in the locker room was instrumental in the team's unexpected run towards the Eastern Conference finals last season.

"I love my teammates," Dooling said last season. "I'm not a key contributor on the court, but we're so connected, there are other things we bring to the table that have value. So I do my part and bring my value to the team."

Back to top Go down

Celtics sign Dooling to 1-year deal Empty Re: Celtics sign Dooling to 1-year deal

Post by Berlin-T Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:14 am

Bob H.'s favorite player is back! Very Happy
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Celtics sign Dooling to 1-year deal Empty Re: Celtics sign Dooling to 1-year deal

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:06 am

Now we got to work on signing Pietrus, and contacting Artis Gilmore to see if he has anything left! (LOL) for Gilmore comment only!

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 pm

He seemed to be a hard worker and a good influence in general so not a bad pickup.

Just seems a little superfluous when there is terry/rondo/lee/bradley. I realize Bradley will be out to start the season but....
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Berlin-T wrote:Bob H.'s favorite player is back! Very Happy

berlin,

I didn't like his season play, but he definitely picked it up in the playoffs. Furthermore, he is widely regarded as a big positive influence in the locker room. Not only is he Rondo's best friend on the team (and we all know the importance of keeping Rondo's head straight) he was dubbed "The Reverend" by Brandon Bass after a particularly fiery halftime speech by Dooling in game 5 vs Philly.

Here's a nice article about Dooling and his influence on the team. Based upon this article, and his playoff play, I'm willing to give him another hall pass this year. Besides, he's in green, and that's what I do for players in green. :-)

http://www.nesn.com/2012/07/keyon-doolings-emotional-leadership-remains-vital-part-of-celtics-locker-room-atmosphere.html

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Another point is that, from what I'm reading, Dooling is re-signing for the vet's minimum.

If so, this is another feather in Danny's cap because he still has the bi-annual exemption of almost $2M. You're not going to land a shark with that kind of money, but you could get a nice player that is just outside of the rotation. What with injuries and all, having a quality player that we would be comfortable playing waiting on the bench for the chance, is a big plus.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:Another point is that, from what I'm reading, Dooling is re-signing for the vet's minimum.

If so, this is another feather in Danny's cap because he still has the bi-annual exemption of almost $2M. You're not going to land a shark with that kind of money, but you could get a nice player that is just outside of the rotation. What with injuries and all, having a quality player that we would be comfortable playing waiting on the bench for the chance, is a big plus.

bob

Bob

Is there any time limits on using this? Can we wait and if so how long?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Beat,

The bi-annual exception can be used from now through the end of the regular season. It's value starts to decrease in January.

. . . this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires following the last day of the regular season.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

We can wait until the trading deadline to pick up a waived player if we want.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 am

For the money, best back up PG they could get. He knows the system, likes the players and coach, and is nothing but a true professional on and off the court.

Another solid pick up by DA
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Mrkleen,

Given that (barring—ugh—injuries), it could well be that Dooling's most important contribution this coming season will be acting as what might be called an "acclimation mentor" for the young guys on the team. While obviously not afraid to speak up, he's not prone to shooting off his mouth and should be a very stable influence as the young guys find their way.

With each of Danny's additions, I'm becoming more and more excited about the mix of abilities, personalities, and team orientation of this roster. To say nothing of the fact that at least some of the players have the potential to put together a fast-breaking unit that would send dboss, myself, and I'm sure many more to the moon.

Obviously, it seldom happens that such a retooled lineup immediately ascends to the championship. Oh wait, it happened to the Celtics five years ago, didn't it? And this team actually has more impact "holdovers" than that one did.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:24 pm

I agree Sam

Still a bit unsure about the 5 - but lets see how it goes. I think a healthy Wilcox can get some minutes at center....and who knows how Melo may or may not develop.

Excited to see how it all turns out.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down