Bleacher Report Predictions for next year

5 posters

Go down

Bleacher Report Predictions for next year Empty Bleacher Report Predictions for next year

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:52 am

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1283815-boston-celtics-five-bold-predictions-for-the-2012-13-season#/articles/1283815-boston-celtics-five-bold-predictions-for-the-2012-13-season

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Bleacher Report Predictions for next year Empty Re: Bleacher Report Predictions for next year

Post by steve3344 Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:08 pm

So Bleacher Report predicts Boston wins the title this year. I'm as big a Celtic fan as anyone but I think that's a trifle optimistic. I sure HOPE it happens but I am enough of a realist to know we are not the favorite going in.

And for them to say this:

In 2012, Boston was hurt by their shallow bench, which forced their starters to play big minutes early on. With a deeper bench including Jeff Green, Jason Terry, Jared Sullinger and Courtney Lee (once Avery Bradley returns from injury), the Celtics will be as formidable as their 2008 championship roster.

means forgetting that team won 66 games (third most in Celtic history) and two of our absolutely CRITICAL players - KG and PP - are now five years older and are definitely not as productive as they were in 2008. Not to mention they are also more susceptible to significant injury which would kill us.

But hey, I don't mind when someone writing about my team drinks the kool-aid. I've been known to down a bit of it myself from time to time. However, I also know when we're not the top dog heading into a season like we clearly were barely 25 games into 2007-2008 when we jelled a lot quicker than anyone thought possible.

I'd obviously love to see it happen again. Just wouldn't bet the house on it.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Bleacher Report Predictions for next year Empty Re: Bleacher Report Predictions for next year

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:07 pm

I hear ya Steve, I couldn't give two shits about Bleacher Report, was yawning as I was reading their prediction......theres more knowledge on this board than most media outlets, having said that I love all the moves Danny has done, as bob heckler pointed out on another thread we've significantly upgraded the talent level of the bench, in theory KG and PP should be able to be healthier and better picking their spots to lead and rest.....knock on wood.

Its gonna come down to health, duh, did I really type that? If Sully can be that rebounding beast Danny Fortson type with more skills, if Jeff Green can play with a steely eyed purpose and substance, hes shown flashes now show more of that and intangibles, if AB can comeback healthy and in one piece and build off his break out season to form the speediest and best defensive backcourt in the league with Rondo, if Fab Melo can avoid going to the D-League, meaning hes doing enough big man things to learn and help at the same time, if we can jell and wear out teams with all this depth and speed.....I think Rondo is gonna have his biggest year, we'll be fine.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:15 am

I see the Celtics' fortunes this season depending very largely on the health of three players—all of whom are recuperating from health problems: Wilcox, Green and Bradley. Given the Celtics' policy of not rushing players back, I believe we have reason to expect they'll be back at full-strength—Bradley later than the other two. And Bradley's major strength (being a strong defensive pest) is not something that usually suffers from rust upon the player's return.

IF those three players can return to full strength and can play in the great majority of the games, then the Celtics will have a deeper of squad truly complementary players than they've had since the Championship season (and maybe even including that season).

With a core of KG, Wilcox, Bass, Sullinger (yes, I think he'll contribute strongly from the outset), Pierce, Green, Lee, Terry, Bradley and Rondo, I believe Doc will be able to operate from a position of strength in mixing and matching players to take advantage of matchups rather than having to operate so frequently from a position of weakness (e.g. going small by default because he had too little healthy height). (By the way, I'm not overlooking Dooling, whom I regard as a guard health insurance policy. And I still believe Danny will add another veteran big. I'm also not overlooking young guys who could be future assets or some of whom might even surprise us by making impacts this season.)

This team has greatly improved its offensive firepower without losing anything defensively. (In fact, they'll likely be defensively better than last year, especially at the shooting guard position.) Last season, their frequent inability to take offensive advantage of their own strong defensive stands was the single most important factor keeping them from the finals.

Once again, they'll almost surely be more of a finesse team than a bunch of bangers (although I hope Sully will help in the banging department). But the 10-deep caliber of skilled players (9 of them quite experienced) should be able to create some imposing chemistry AS LONG AS they benefit from my old friend, continuity. It could take some time for the chemistry to max out, especially since Bradley will have to get reintegrated well into the season; and I may have to issue my now-annual reminder that continuity is the greatest prerequisite to chemistry and patience is a huge virtue for the true basketball aficionado.

Which brings me full circle to my expressed importance of the recoveries of Messrs. Wilcox, Green and Bradley—to say nothing of the need for the in-depth complement of players to reduce the wear and tear on the "old guard."

I don't make predictions. But I have to say that somehow the late-summer doldrums don't seem quite as "doldrummy" this year because there is reason for excited anticipation about this team.

Go Celtics!

Sam

P.S. And so much for all the bullcrap about free agents not wanting to come to Boston. Doc is like a friggin' free agent magnet.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi,
Since I'm currently in Boston, sitting in view of the Garden, I can tell you for sure that there's a very high probability of Celtics going into the Finals and winning it all in 2013.
There're 2 factors that can prove me right or wrong: chemistry and health. We'll know about former in the first 2-3 months and if it's there it's there. As for latter, I hope it'll stay with the team into the playoffs.
Basketball

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:26 pm

Sinus, I'd be delighted if we learned about the team's chemistry during the first 2-3 months. But I won't be surprised if their full potential for chemistry isn't revealed until later in the season. Aside from the fact that Doc will probably be experimenting with combinations during the first part of the season, the insertion of the Avery Bradley dynamic (probably closer to mid-season) could very likely occasion somewhat of a regrouping that might not be solidified until later in the season.

I look at it much as the doctor counsels me on weight loss. Don't expect to have too much success too quickly. Slow and steady produces more permanent results.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down