Predicting Personnel for situational lineups

4 posters

Go down

Predicting Personnel for situational lineups Empty Predicting Personnel for situational lineups

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:13 am

Provides some definition and clarity, perhaps. The biggest surprise was his replacement of Bass in the starting lineup with Sully in the 2nd half of the season. He doesn't see Xmas or Joseph in the game except in his "garbage time" lineup, which infers he sees both those players making the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1273700-predicting-personnel-for-boston-celtics-situational-lineups

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Predicting Personnel for situational lineups Empty Re: Predicting Personnel for situational lineups

Post by sinus007 Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Bob,
Thanks for the link.
If Doc decides to put Sully instead of BB it would be great. 1st - it'd prove that #21 was a great steal in the draft; 2nd - it'd mean Sully is better than BB skill-wise and level of his confidence and experience is high enough to use all those skills; 3rd - it'd mean that he has meshed with the starters; 4th - the shift of BB to the second unit would bolster the bench even more.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Predicting Personnel for situational lineups Empty Re: Predicting Personnel for situational lineups

Post by Sam Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Bob

Strictly based on the advisability of having complementary skills in various units (and ignoring, for a moment, the difference in experience level and pro maturity), I do think Bass would fit better with a bench that should be running quite a bit. He's faster than Sully, and I believe he could run a lane better and finish a break better than Sully.

On the other hand, I see the starters playing more deliberate ball and needing a heavy dose of the penetration that Pierce used to provide. If Sully can find a way to avoid getting blocked constantly, he could definitely bull his way to a lot of hoops while KG is keeping a big occupied at the top of the key.

On defense, it's true that the Celtics starters need every inch of height they can get, which (along with leaping ability) would favor Bass. But what they need even more is someone putting a body on opponents, and I foresee Sully doing a great job in that department.

On the other other other hand (that's three now), I would hope that moving Bass to the second team wouldn't become a political problem. He seems like a team-first guy, and he's got his contract; so I don't think he'd make a fuss.

I have very little doubt that Sully will become an impact player fairly quickly. I'd pay good money just to see Bass and Sully go at it in practice. It could be a great way to hone their defensive skills by each having to defend someone with a radically different offensive style.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:29 am

sam wrote:Bob

Strictly based on the advisability of having complementary skills in various units (and ignoring, for a moment, the difference in experience level and pro maturity), I do think Bass would fit better with a bench that should be running quite a bit. He's faster than Sully, and I believe he could run a lane better and finish a break better than Sully.

On the other hand, I see the starters playing more deliberate ball and needing a heavy dose of the penetration that Pierce used to provide. If Sully can find a way to avoid getting blocked constantly, he could definitely bull his way to a lot of hoops while KG is keeping a big occupied at the top of the key.

On defense, it's true that the Celtics starters need every inch of height they can get, which (along with leaping ability) would favor Bass. But what they need even more is someone putting a body on opponents, and I foresee Sully doing a great job in that department.

On the other other other hand (that's three now), I would hope that moving Bass to the second team wouldn't become a political problem. He seems like a team-first guy, and he's got his contract; so I don't think he'd make a fuss.

I have very little doubt that Sully will become an impact player fairly quickly. I'd pay good money just to see Bass and Sully go at it in practice. It could be a great way to hone their defensive skills by each having to defend someone with a radically different offensive style.

Sam

sam,

Sully would pound Bass into paste in the paint and Bass would kill him with mid-range jumpers until Sully came out to him and then he'd blow past him to the rim. They are quite different players.

If Sully is inserted into the starting lineup I think it'll be because of Spencer Hawes, Howard, Bynum and other beefy centers and PFs. Bass will be better against stretch 4s like Nowitzki and Rashard Lewis. Either way, it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:45 am

bobheckler wrote: Either way, it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes.

bob

Tell that to RA! Rolling Eyes

beat Rolling Eyes
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:14 pm

beat wrote:
bobheckler wrote: Either way, it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes.

bob

Tell that to RA! Rolling Eyes

beat Rolling Eyes

beat,

Oooh. Fire in the hole! Ouch.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down