Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston

4 posters

Go down

Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston   Empty Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Boston Herald

By Jeff Clark

Big Al back in Boston? Make is so!

A lot of folks around here still hold Al Jefferson close to their hearts. Myself included. He's now an NBA veteran who has battled injuries and has his share of flaws that have been exposed over the course of his contract (that many would argue was too much for him). But at the end of the day, he's one of the best scoring and rebounding big men in the NBA and that's always a good thing to have on your squad.

He's going to be a free agent at the end of the year and while he's got great things to say about the Utah Jazz organization, he obviously still loves Boston and would be open to a return trip.

Asked specifically about a return to the Celtics, Jefferson, the career 16.2-point, 9.0 rebounder, didn’t hide his affection. "Well, this is my first home," Jefferson said. "You know, this will always be my home away from home. Danny Ainge gave me a chance. Nobody else did. "So if that situation would happen, I would love to do that again. But right now it’s all about taking care of business and finishing the season out right."

I suppose it is always a question of cost and opportunity. Given the Celtics payroll situation, I doubt that we'd have anything other than the MLE to offer him, so it would almost have to happen via sign-and-trade.

As a longtime fan of Big Al, I'd love to see him back in Boston. I'm not sure how it would happen or if it would ultimately work out, but I've got a soft side for him.

Back to top Go down

Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston   Empty Re: Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:01 pm

I wonder if Utah would consider a sign-and-trade for Jeff Green after this season?

Big Al is making $15M. Green is making about $9M. Either Big Al would have to take a big pay cut or we'd have to throw another player making roughly mid-level exemption money in to make it work. That means JET, Lee or Bass. If Big Al will take the pay cut (he's only 27, so that might not sound very good to him) then maybe we could throw a vet minimum in or a rookie like Melo.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston   Empty Re: Big Al Jefferson doesn't rule out return to Boston

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Bob,

No one would take a pay cut. However it may be 2 for 1. Can we go over the cap and do a 1 for 1/ Gyso would know.

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:10 pm

If Boston were to make a run at Big Al, they should do so this year.
I can't see Boston just sitting back and not making a run at a big man in-season. I think we all agree that for Boston to get anywhere in the playoffs, they need to add a big man.

Boston has pieces to trade and they will most likely have to part with one of their two young players who are making a low salary (Bradley/Sullinger) in order to get an Al Jefferson. Of course, they will need to add two or three contracts to make the salaries fit within the rules.

I like Big Al's game. He is not flashy, but is very consistent and reliable. You can pencil him in for 17 or 18 ppg and 10 rpg before the season starts. I really like Millsap too but he doesn't bring the big man presence that Al does.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:17 pm

112288 wrote:Bob,

No one would take a pay cut. However it may be 2 for 1. Can we go over the cap and do a 1 for 1/ Gyso would know.

You can only take on a significantly higher amount of salary in a trade if, at the end of that trade, you are still under the Salary Cap.
If the Cap stays the same, then Boston could not acquire a $15m salary for a $9m salary, since they would be over the Salary Cap (assuming Pierce's contract is picked up).
The big question mark that I wrote about in a thread a couple of days ago is, what will the Salary Cap amount be for the year that starts 7/1/13?
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Who else on Utah may be available where this trade could be expanded to help both teams?

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:30 pm

112288 wrote:Who else on Utah may be available where this trade could be expanded to help both teams?

I think we'd have to throw in another player to make the numbers work, not Utah.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm

The three players that Utah would most likely be open to trading all have a higher salary then most of the Celtics players that might be moved in a trade. It is understood that Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Marvin Williams could be moved but Utah would not trade Enes Kanter or Derrick Favors.

The question is, what players would Boston have to give up to get close enough to Al's $15m salary so the trade would pass the trade requirements? I don't think either team would have a significant amount of leverage in this trade. Utah knows that Boston is desperate for a big man but Boston knows that Al could walk once the season is over and they could get nothing for him. Also, if Gortat or Pau Gasol are made available in a trade, that would decrease the leverage that Utah has in trading Al.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Bob,

I know, but may be this can be expanded to a 4-5 player transaction. We can use a true back-up point guard....maybe something else Doc feels we are deficient in.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:38 pm

TJ

Exactly!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 am

I would trade a combination of players except for rondo, bradley and kg

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down