Boston return for Pierce? Why not?

+5
kdp59
tardust
Sam
gyso
9 posters

Go down

Boston return for Pierce? Why not? Empty Boston return for Pierce? Why not?

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:27 am

ESPNBOSTON.COM

By Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- Paul Pierce continues to leave the door open for a possible return to the Boston Celtics organization down the road.

Pierce, the former Celtics captain, has often expressed a desire to return to Boston in some capacity after spending the first 15 years of his career here. Pressed on the issue after the Celtics posted a 91-84 triumph over his Brooklyn Nets on Friday night, Pierce didn't run from the possibility of coming back as a player or executive.

"Yeah, why not?" said Pierce. "Maybe play for them, maybe work for them. Who knows what the future holds?"

The Celtics traded Pierce and Kevin Garnett to Brooklyn last summer to start a rebuilding process that will be aided by the three first-round draft picks they got in return in the nine-player swap. Pierce is playing in the final year of his current contract and will be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

Pierce said this return to Boston wasn't as emotional as his first trip back in January, but still felt butterflies walking back into TD Garden.

"It’s always emotional when you step into this gym that you’ve spent your whole life playing in," said Pierce. "The tribute last time made it so much more emotional and the cheers. But every time I come into this gym, because I always seen the fans and the people who have been around all these years, it’s always going to be emotional because you miss them since you’ve known them so long. Not at the same level it was last time, but it’s always going to be there."

Pierce spoke highly of where Boston is headed.

"They are a young team, they got a mix of some veterans, some young guys they are developing and they are only going to get better," said Pierce. "[Rajon] Rondo is leading them right now, moving into the next generation of Celtics. I think their future is going to be very bright."

Later Pierce added: "I know the Celtics are going to do whatever it takes. They’ve got great owners, great management to get back to that top level again."

Back to top Go down

Boston return for Pierce? Why not? Empty Re: Boston return for Pierce? Why not?

Post by gyso Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:48 am

This is the last year of Pierce's contract.  KG has one more year at $12M.  Pierce may sign for one more year with the Nyets out of loyalty to KG, seeing that he convinced him to go there in the first place.

If KG retires, who knows?  Pierce looked pretty good last night.  He still has more in the tank.  Maybe he is worth a couple more years at the mid-level exception.

Maybe that was the plan all along.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:56 am

GYSO,

IF NOT THIS COMING YEAR, THE FOLLOWING YEAR. YOU ARE CORRECT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:48 pm

My hope would be that they'd wait until he decided to retire and would bring him back on a one-day player's contract and then consider him as coaching material.  It seems to me that bringing him back as a player would run counter to the direction in which they're headed—a direction that will hopefully emphasize athleticism at the wing positions.  They're already gone through growing pains by trying to maintain that direction as they evolve, and I'd hate to see them take a major step backward.  They've made a break, not just in terms of personalities, but in terms of a previous tendency toward deliberate, one-on-one ball.  I understand the emotionality involved in wanting Paul back with the team; but I think doing so as a player would chance some regression from the direction (however tentative) they've already begun.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Sam,

I think I understand what you are proposing, that he come back on a very limited basis and then retire as a Celtic.

But,

I don't know what a one day contract is.  I don't know if it is even possible under the current CBA. There is a 10-day contract that is available later on in the season, Johnson and Babb signed those.  If he signs any other (regular) contract, it would be season long and counts against the cap.  I don't think there are any exceptions to that rule.

I did a search of the following, "copy of sample of nba player contract" and came up with an interesting find.

Use this link

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:19 pm

If Pierce came back it would be a full season and he would want to contribute as a member of the Celtics and not a token gesture while facing a rocking chair at mid court for a ceremony.  I think Pierce is a gym rat and could play the next 3 years coming off the bench and also act as a leader and veteran presence for the younger guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:37 am

Whether its Boston or another city, PP can still play. He struggled early in the year shooting, which he has done the last few years and then he gets it straightened out. He probably could still score 20 a game if he looked for his shot. He tries to make the right pass with the Nets and doesn't force a lot. Unfortunately for him, players like Joe Johnson and Brook Lopez are like black holes. Once they touch it they are going to shoot. Both are horrible on defense as well. I have seen enough of the Nets this year to tell you that PP and KG are not the problems with that team.

I don't see PP coming to the C's next year. He more than likely will go to a contender. I could see PP going to the Clippers, the Thunder, and possibly a couple other teams that could use 15 points a game.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:58 am

Clippers seem a more likely place for him to end his career.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:42 am

Gyso, thanks for the information. I mentioned the single game thing mainly because I've seen it mentioned so many times.  I'd much prefer Paul Pierce not to be on the team next year and to a wait his flag raising like everyone else except Reggie Lewis.

I don't believe Paul's deliberate, iso style of play is conducive to the direction of growth I hope the team will take.  I have reasons on which I could expound, but I don't want to appear to be dissing all that Paul has done for the team.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:50 am

To be blunt, don't want him back as a player. That ship has left port. In watching the Nets play PP when he does play, not playing big minutes now and I don't see it going up, to me there seems to be little left in the tank. Defense is not good. Guy is just to old. We bitched for years about getting younger, and getting PP isn't going that direction. 3 years left in the tank for him? I doubt it.

Give me a young hungry player. That said if there was some way to sign him for a day and he retire the next as a Celtic. No issue at all with that.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:21 pm

If Pierce could work for the Celtics in some capacity - OK, but I don't want him back as a player. I've had enough of one-on-one hero basketball.
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:30 pm

sam wrote:Gyso, thanks for the information. I mentioned the single game thing mainly because I've seen it mentioned so many times.  I'd much prefer Paul Pierce not to be on the team next year and to a wait his flag raising like everyone else except Reggie Lewis.

I don't believe Paul's deliberate, iso style of play is conducive to the direction of growth I hope the team will take.  I have reasons on which I could expound, but I don't want to appear to be dissing all that Paul has done for the team.

Sam

Paul did alot of iso ball early in his career and he was such a good one on one player, it was alot of fun to watch, in his later years once KG arrived Pierce modified his game alot and was willing to share the ball, he used to set up Big Baby with his drives all the time.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Come on guys, how much fun was it watching him bulldoze Kobe in the 08 Finals? Lakers had nobody that could match up with him until they got Artest in 10.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:52 pm

I always gave Paul full credit for being the principal catalyst as the Celtics won the 2008 championship series.  Just as I thought Perk's presence made a better defensive player out of KG.  Those were the good old times.  Now is now.

And Paul Pierce never once modified his deliberate approach to the game.  In fact, when his flag deservedly goes up in the rafters some day, I wouldn't hesitate to place him last of the retired-number Celtics as being an productive member of a fast-breaking team.  He has always epitomized the term "lope" to me.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:21 pm

As long as Wallace is on the team there is no room for PP even if we wanted him.

I could see him go to the Clippers next year as I am convinced that the Nets are no closer to winning a championship than they were last year plus the nets must begin that painful process of reducing salary.

Bottom line, PP will not be with the Nets next year

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down