k_j_88
RosalieTCeltics
bobheckler
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Coach Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: New Coach Thread

Post by dboss Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:08 pm

Guess how much Lionnel Hollins made coaching the Grizz...

$2 million. He would be a good replacement for Doc at less than half the price even with a increase in salary.

Since DA does not want to spend big bucks, Hollins has to be considered.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:52 pm

Don't get too excited about this, but there is evidence of tension between GM Gar Forman and Thibs. Forman just refused to renew the contract of Thib's lead assistant coach, Ron Adams. Usually, coaches decide who is and who is not on the bench with them, not the GM.

Thibs is entering the final year of his contract.

Needless to say, I'd love to have Thibs come back to the Celtics. If I can't have Pops, and Doc is obviously not available, then Thibs rockets to the top of my short list of active coaches.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:43 pm

bobheckler wrote:Don't get too excited about this, but...
Nice try at a disclaimer, but I think the heart rate of the entire board just jumped 50 percent.

On another note, have you noticed that the Quote button is working like it used to?
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Outside wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Don't get too excited about this, but...
Nice try at a disclaimer, but I think the heart rate of the entire board just jumped 50 percent.

On another note, have you noticed that the Quote button is working like it used to?

outside,

Yes, I have.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Hmmm be nice if we could get a 1 yr rental coach, then bring in Thibs.. And what's Scal got going on for next few yrs???
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Matty wrote:Hmmm be nice if we could get a 1 yr rental coach, then bring in Thibs.. And what's Scal got going on for next few yrs???

Hi,
Chicago can release him for one our picks....

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Perhaps trading coaches should become part of the next CBA...
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 pm

OCTIBER 2, 2012

The Chicago Bulls and coach Tom Thibodeau agreed on a four-year contract extension, the team announced on Monday. The four years are on top of the option year the Bulls picked up on Thibodeau for the 2012-13 season.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:01 pm

bobheckler wrote:Don't get too excited about this, but there is evidence of tension between GM Gar Forman and Thibs.  Forman just refused to renew the contract of Thib's lead assistant coach, Ron Adams.  Usually, coaches decide who is and who is not on the bench with them, not the GM.

Thibs is entering the final year of his contract.

Needless to say, I'd love to have Thibs come back to the Celtics.  If I can't have Pops, and Doc is obviously not available, then Thibs rockets to the top of my short list of active coaches.

bob

Thibs? YES, YES, YES! Gods of Basketball, let it be so.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:02 pm

112288 - thanks for ruining my day.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Ya, I got chest pains when I Googled it myself!

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:49 am

Hi,
It looks like my idea is not that crazy. From interview with DA (via 112288 post):
".... I think I’m looking at all the different candidates out there that are available, and some guys that are not available, that are working other places that I’ll also consider. ..."

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:21 am

Not worthy of its own thread, I think, but here it is.

Speaking as someone who tries to root for the local teams whenever they're not playing my team, I'm pretty happy with this.

Good luck, Scal.

Ric Bucher

Nothing locked up, but all indications are that Brian Scalabrine will join the Warriors' coaching staff as an assistant coach, a possibility already previously reported by Yahoo!.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Well Guys, we have a coach. Brad Stevens from Butler! Go figure!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:23 pm

EyeOn

Basketball

Celtics hire Butler coach Brad Stevens as next head coach

By Matt Moore | NBA writer

July 3, 2013 5:50 pm ET

Brad Stevens is the next head coach of the Celtics. (USATSI) Brad Stevens is the next head coach of the Celtics. (USATSI)

No leaks, no meetings, no word of interviews. Underneath the madness of information with NBA free agency, the Boston Celtics quietly announced the hiring of Butler University coach Brad Stevens as their next head coach on Wednesday.

The Boston Herald reports Stevens' new deal is a six-year contract with Boston.

From the Celtics' press release:

The Boston Celtics announced today that they have come to an agreement with Brad Stevens to be the 17th head coach of the team. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not announced.

Stevens, age 36, has served for the past six years as the head coach of Butler University, never winning fewer than 22 games and leading the Bulldogs to two national championship games against Duke and Connecticut. He was the youngest coach to reach the Final Four since Bob Knight in 1973.

A native of Zionsville, Indiana, Stevens was a three-time academic All-America nominee while earning four varsity letters at DePauw University, before graduating with a degree in economics. He later joined the Butler University program as the coordinator of basketball operations under then-coach Thad Matta, before being named head coach in 2007.

"Brad and I share a lot of the same values," said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. "Though he is young, I see Brad as a great leader who leads with impeccable character and a strong work ethic. His teams always play hard and execute on both ends of the court. Brad is a coach who has already enjoyed lots of success, and I look forward to working with him towards Banner 18."

Stevens and his wife Tracy, along with their children Brady and Kinsley, will be introduced to the media at 11 a.m. on Friday at the Celtics Training Center at Healthpoint.

via Celtics Hire Brad Stevens as Head Coach | The Official Site of the BOSTON CELTICS.

And from Butler:

Brad Stevens, head coach of the Butler University men's basketball team, today announced his acceptance of the head coach position of the Boston Celtics.

"Our family is thrilled for the opportunity given to us by the leadership of the Boston Celtics, but it is emotional to leave a place that we have called home for the past 13 years," said Stevens.

"We truly love Butler University and Indianapolis, and are very thankful to have had the opportunity to celebrate so many wonderful things together. What makes Butler truly unique is the people that we have been so blessed to work with. When it comes time for our kids to look at schools, we will start with Butler University." Stevens and his wife, Tracy, have a young son and daughter.

In his six seasons as Butler's head men's basketball coach, Stevens compiled a record of success unmatched in NCAA annals. The 36-year-old Butler coach has led the Bulldogs to a 166-49 record, including a 12-5 record in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship. Four conference regular season championships, three league tournament titles, and six trips to postseason tournament play. His 166 wins is the most for any NCAA Division I basketball coach over the first six years to start a career.

Stevens owns the top two single season win totals in Butler and Horizon League history, and he's the only coach in school and league history to lead a team to back-to-back NCAA Division I national championship games in 2010 and 2011.

In 2009-2010, Stevens engineered the most remarkable season in Butler basketball history. The Bulldogs posted a 33-5 overall record, the Horizon League's first 18-0 conference mark and fourth overall unbeaten record, a fourth consecutive league regular season championship, a second conference tourney crown. The Bulldogs were nationally-ranked for the fourth straight year, compiled a school-record 25-game win streak, which was the longest in the nation. Stevens was named NABC All-District 12 Coach, and he was a finalist for several additional national coaching awards. Butler ended the season as the No. 2-ranked team in the final ESPN/USA Today national poll.

"In keeping with The Butler Way, Brad has given his talent to our University with exceptional generosity, integrity, and humility," said President James M. Danko. "His record as the winningest coach in NCAA history during his first six years as head coach, his leadership of Butler's dual Final Four® runs, and his work ethic have made him a beloved member of our community."

Danko added, "We have done everything we can to keep Brad here at Butler; however, the Celtics team has offered Brad and his family a unique opportunity with which no university can compete."

Butler has begun the process of hiring a new head coach to lead the men's basketball team in its inaugural year of BIG EAST Conference competition.

"Brad is leaving a great legacy and an excellent foundation for us to build on" said Vice President and Athletic Director Barry Collier. "Our athletics program has an extremely bright future, and we are confident that Butler's first year in the BIG EAST will be an outstanding one."

via Brad Stevens To Take Boston Celtics Coaching Position - Butler.

The questions with Stevens are going to come regarding his ability to make the transition to the professional ranks, something college coaches have a hard time with, and his relative inexperience. At age 36, there are quite a few NBA players, some of whom just left the team in a trade with the Brooklyn Nets, older than him. How will he mesh with Rajon Rondo? Does this further cement the idea, despite Ainge's comments this week that the Celtics are not tanking, that Boston is fully committed to a youth movement?

It's a bold hire for Boston that, if it works, will be seen as an absolutly brilliant move. If it doesn't ... the Celtics' expectations in the short term are so bleak, it's hard to imagine Stevens actually disappointing outside of a complete disaster. Either way, it's a move out of the clear blue sky that has caught punidts (like, oh, say, us) completely off guard.

Stevens takes over for Doc Rivers, who left to take the job with the Los Angeles Clippers two weeks ago.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:54 am

According to Sports Illustrated writer Ian Thomsen, who writes and covers the Celtics all the time, this is the beginning of the end for Rajon Rondo. There isn't a person last night who believed that Rondo isn't gone.

On the other hand, Chris Mannix, who wrote for the Boston Globe and is now on ESPN, feels Rondo is staying, that he is the drawing card for other players who may consider coming to Boston.

Funny, everyone has an opinion, and they all center around Rondo. I wonder how he really feels about all of this negativism surrounding him and his ability to lead. No one is talking.

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:34 am

Hi Ros,

Sure would be nice to hear an in depth interview with Rondo wouldn't it? His rehab progress, thoughts on Doc, KG and Paul leaving, the new coach.........

He must be off limits as I don't think he has spoken to the press since he went down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:37 am

Rosalie,

Fortunately for Rondo, his predisposition for stubbornness probably means he has a very strong ability to concentrate (since they often go hand-in-hand). And the major part of is concentration right now is probably focused on getting well a.s.a.p. I expect his disposition also maintains a compartment that says, "I'll show those blankety blanks" without even clarifying who those blankety blanks are—the Celtics, the media, other teams, the world, whoever. But he can't afford to allow rumors to derail his hard work on rehabbing. In an ironic way, his injury may be the best buffer he's got against letting all the talk get to him.

How a year can change things. It wasn't quite 12 months ago when he took the initiative of gathering the shaken-up roster for informal summer practices (and I believe he was out-of-pocket for at least some of that). Now he's fair game for every Tom, Dick and Harry media type who's experiencing a slow news day.

If one took the time to go back and reread all the items in this forum that reflected the most serious controversies, I'm betting the media would lie at the heart of at least 98% of them.

Focus Rondo. Next leg stretch. Now the next. Now the next. Now the next......................

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:02 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:According to Sports Illustrated writer Ian Thomsen, who writes and covers the Celtics all the time, this is the beginning of the end for Rajon Rondo. There isn't a person last night who believed that Rondo isn't gone.  

On the other hand, Chris Mannix, who wrote for the Boston Globe and is now on ESPN, feels Rondo is staying, that he is the drawing card for other players who may consider coming to Boston.

Funny, everyone has an opinion, and they all center around Rondo.  I wonder how he really feels about all of this negativism surrounding him and his ability to lead.  No one is talking.

Rosalie

Rosalie,

Ever hear the expression "the rich get richer"?  It takes a draw to get a draw and, with Doc and KG and Pierce on their way to their new happy hunting grounds, Rondo is the only draw we have.

History is replete with examples of this.  Future HOFer Bill Walton and all-star Scott Wedman coming to the Celtics to play behind a starting lineup that was loaded and primed for a championship.  KG nixing a trade to Boston when we only had Pierce, but agreeing to it after we added Ray.  Would LeBron have gone to Miami if DWade hadn't already been there?  After he went there, landing Bosh and Battier and Ray etal got much, much easier.

For better or worse, Rondo is our only draw now.  Jeff Green is very talented, but at this time he is not a player that makes other allstar/superstar to say to their agents "see if you can work something out so I can play with Jeff Green".

Everybody, including coaches, are grist in Danny's mill but I hope he remembers his own lesson and doesn't trade Rondo for anybody who is less of a draw.

Besides, coming off of ACL surgery, Rondo is a question mark.  If he doesn't come all the way back we won't get much for him.  If he does come all the way back (and it might take until 2014-2015 for that) then at his salary, he's a steal and we won't get who we want.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:11 pm

NCAA and NBA champion Larry Brown on Brad Stevens
Eric Prisbell, USA TODAY Sports 10:12 p.m. EDT July 3, 2013

Basketball Hall of Famer Larry Brown is the only coach to win an NBA title (2004, Detroit Pistons) and NCAA Division I title (1988 Kansas), which makes him a rarity. The fact that he found success at both levels is almost as rare.

Brown spoke to USA TODAY Sports on Wednesday about Brad Stevens' departure from Butler University to the Boston Celtics:

"Most of these (college) guys who go to the NBA, nobody gives them enough time to really get a chance to turn it around and do it the right way. So I hate to see him leave college because I have so much admiration for him but he's a great kid. And I think with Danny (Ainge) and that organization, it's going to be great. I am really happy for him.

"Every job is a challenge. I think it would be more of a challenge if he had to coach a team expected to win. The biggest thing, he has people in place there who know what it takes. They didn't just hire this kid thinking that he is going to win an NBA championship right away. They realize that it is a learning process. And now he has to get some good people with him to sit there and help him because it is a different game.

"I always tell my assistants in college, 'An NBA coach makes 30 decisions in a game, and a college coach probably makes five.' And then you magnify that with 82 games, and exhibitions and playoffs, in college you play 30-something games. I am pretty confident that Danny will surround him with good people who are loyal and who will help him through this process. He'll do great.

"If you can coach, you can coach. I have always said that. There are great coaches on both levels. My whole thing is, as a college coach, you are in charge of your program. As a pro coach, the success ones, the GM, the owner and the coach are connected at the hip. And the ones that aren't successful, there is no connection there, only if you win there is a connection but if stuff goes bad there is no connection at all.

"Everywhere I have been, when there is one voice, at the end of the day that's when you have success. When general managers or owners are telling you what kind of guys to draft or who to coach or how to coach, then you have a disconnect."

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm not a college sports fan, so I can't speak to Brad Stevens specifically, but I was very impressed at how he was able to get his small school program to compete with the big monsters of NCAA basketball. The big schools have all the advantages and few of the disadvantages for NBA wannabe-ers. For Stevens to put together a program that got him that deep into the NCAAs and have some players drafted into the NBA is really something.

Once again, Danny blows my mind.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Why is it that everyone thinks that Danny owes them an explanation everytime he makes a move? Do they honestly think that he is going to say that he is shopping player A or player B??? The media has become punch drunk on trying to be the ones who break "the story behind the story". This Rondo thing has taken on a life of itself and I am totally tired of it.

Look at the story going on with Aaron Hernandez, formally of the Patriots. Everyone is hell bent on making the Patriots grovel and say that they made a mistake with this guy. How do you predict that a young, talented 23 year old guy is going to kill someone???? But, if you listen to the reporters, they are determined to make Belechick say he was wrong. They have a long long wait for that one.

There is not a person out there who covers the Boston Celtics who hasn't got an opinion on Rondo. Fosberg was just on the radio this morning saying that the kid deserves a chance to prove he can play under a new coach without the likes of KG, Pierce and Allen to bail him out. I agree that Green is not considered the "star" of this team, and yet they don't even refer to him when talking about the Celtics. I feel he will prove this year
how good he really is, and I hope Rondo is the one feeding him.

A player like Rondo does not come along very often, if ever. To give him up without a big return is crazy, and I do not feel anyone will give the Celtics what he truly is worth coming off this injury. He needs time.

Just rambling I know, but I have seen Danny really take it on the chin by some of these guys and it drives me nuts.

Hey Sam, Tanquay is absolutely the biggest flip flopper on television today. I can't stand that he calls himself "a green teamer", he rides with whoever
is talking at the moment. It is sickening to watch him because he doesn't know what the heck he is talking about!!

Oh well, I am done! HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, Danny really pulled one off on all of them!

Rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2