Beat The Heat?

4 posters

Go down

Beat The Heat? Empty Beat The Heat?

Post by k_j_88 Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Is it unrealistic to think that Boston may actually have a chance in this game against the defending champs? Chances are, it most likely is. On paper, there's really no logical reason to give them a shot, right? But I've seen a few things from this Celtics team that I think could make this game highly interesting.

Here are some keys to tonight's game:

1. Defensive Pressure

Right now, Boston is SECOND, yes, second in points allowed at 92 ppg. 6 games is a small sample, however, 6 games is also a trend. Their defensive communication has improved with each game.
MIA does feature two very dangerous one-on-one players in LeBron and Wade. Miami also has perimeter shooters, then Bosh in the middle. A daunting task yes, but playing with discipline will help them. Bradley can cover Wade, and Wallace and Green should be able to hassle LeBron with their length. Boston will also need to make quick rotations and close out on MIA's jumpers, because they do have a great deal of 3pt shooting ability.

2. Run Miami out of the Gym

Miami is a veteran team that typically plays a half court offense. A prolonged fast paced game would give them problems. Sure, Miami can up the tempo in spurts, but they aren't built to run all game long. I noticed that Boston put up 95 shots against Orlando. If they could increase that amount by keeping their offense from going stagnant (guys standing around, pounding the ball), they could put up a lot of points. The more shots you take, the more opportunities you have to score. It would be great if they could put up 30 shots/qtr. I know that probably won't happen, but it should. Why? If athletes are so much better than they used to be, then theoretically they should be able to run just as much.

3. Ball Security

After committing only 11 TOs against Orlando, they put themselves in a great position to win. In order to have a chance, they'll need to minimize their mistakes. Miami is a very cohesive team and can up their defensive pressure in a snap. It's up to Stevens to keep his unit focused and call timeouts when necessary instead of allowing too many problems to stack up. Crawford, Bradley, Lee, and Pressey will have to avoid pounding the ball for too long. Don't dribble into the corner because Miami's defenders will be trapping. They also need to make sharp, accurate passes that won't get intercepted.

4. Green

Jeff has got to be aggressive and attack the lane. He's already shown some of his explosive ability this year, and that'll have to continue in this game. In the 2nd half, they have to look for Green more within the offense.

5. Cheap Fouls are Expensive

FTs are easy points for Miami, so they have to be smart about not creating bad fouls *cough cough* Kelly. Olynyk made a few bad reaching fouls last night instead of staying in front of his man.

6. Team Effort

Everyone has to contribute. Shots need to be evenly distributed as they were against Orlando. Guys have to fight for loose balls and rebounds. They'll have to keep taking charges.

I'm quite the wishful thinker, aren't I?

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Beat The Heat? Empty Re: Beat The Heat?

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:37 pm

Avery Bradley has had great success against Dwayne Wade defensively, we have 2 athletic wings that can stay in front of Lebron better than most teams and even jump with him on his shooting hand. Bass and Lee are much improved this year, Miami is not a big team, if I was Sully and KO I'd be salivating to go right at Chris Bosh....lets send a real message and do this without Rondo.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Defensively, I think they'll be fine. Offensively, I'm not sure. Boston can score, but will they? Sometimes they're offense is potent, other times, very stagnant.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Kj

I think this will be a very competitive game.

You mentioned closing out on the shooters. That is really important. They have a lot of guys that can make the three ball. Also not turning the ball over will keep them fron running out.

This should be a fun game.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:59 pm

What will be interesting, to me, is to see what Wallace can do with LBJ.  We know that Pierce worked his butt off, and usually sacrificed a lot of his offensive game to do it.  Wallace has already sacrificed his game for the team.  If he scores 10, that's not too far off his average.  If Pierce scored 10, that'd be considered a big letdown for the team since he was our scoring leader.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down