A season where wins are losses

+4
bobheckler
MikeD10299
k_j_88
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A season where wins are losses - Page 2 Empty Re: A season where wins are losses

Post by Sam Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 am

Thanks for your diligence, Cow.  I'll just let my statement stand.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

A season where wins are losses - Page 2 Empty Re: A season where wins are losses

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:56 am

All good Sam.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:17 pm

cow,

I'd venture to say that wanting better odds is perfectly fine, but i disagree with telling people not to visit a draft thread for being a realist.

its only fair to examine this from all sides. how do you think the players feel when they constantly lose games by a narrow margin? and the coaching staff too? it has to be difficult to find worth in a losing season. it can't be easy feeling like all of the preparation and effort exerted is almost always in a losing effort. these guys play their hearts out and i feel that wishing they always lose is kinda disingenuous.
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:50 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
112288 wrote:This goes out to all who think:

The draft is bull shxt and that the odds are so great against landing a great player, so why not win for the sake of the Gipper and hey Look Good and feel great about our team (20 something and 50 something...ya right!) by finishing up with a winning streak that will cause us to greatly decrease our odds in the ping pong ball game of landing one of the top 3 picks and potential major talent........................sooooooo

Don't get on THE GAME ON THREAD OR WHATEVER TREAD IS CREATED FOR DRAFT NIGHT and be TWO FACED by puffing out your chests and proclaiming Danny a genus, and the player selected the next coming of Larry legend or Bill Russell. 'Cause odds are you would never have selected that player had it not been for the extended losing streak we are currently going through that caused us to increase our chances (odds) in the ping pong game of landing a major talent!

Cannot have your cake and eat it too my friends!

is this what your looking for Sam? I agree with 112288 that I have already wrote off this season and want the best probability situation to get the best pick possible.

I promise I will not proclaim Danny to be a genius because of who he picks.  Considering how many times I've already called him that I think we'd be in serious overkill territory.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I declared any GM to be a genius based upon his selection of a player who has never laced up a sneaker in the NBA, but perhaps my memory is at fault.  I might proclaim him to be a genius if he pulls off a genius trade that includes this draft pick.  Why is that different?  Because there are many different ways for that reality to come true that are not tightly linked to your previous season's W-L record.

For example, if we had the #7 pick in 2007 instead of the #5 would that have killed the Ray Allen deal?  Maybe not.  We could have sweetened the deal with another draft pick or cash or more players or all of the above.  Also, if Jeff Green was still on the board when #7 came around and that's the specific player Seattle wanted, then it would not have hurt the deal at all nor required any tweaking.  And, oh by the way, we finished with the 2nd worst record in the league, the pingpong balls bounced against us, giving us the #5 pick and not #2.  Not many people remember that, that we had the second worst record in the league and ended up with the #5 pick and Look! it all worked out anyway.  Sure, if we had gotten the #2 pick we could have had Durant (assuming Danny took him) but we didn't, despite having 24-58 record.  

Also, the difference in odds between #4 and #6 aren't that great as to make the difference, especially if this draft is as deep as is claimed.  The chances of having the fourth best record and getting the #1 pick bet is 11.9%.  The chances of getting the #1 pick and having the sixth worst record is 6.3%.  Is that really that big of a difference that you'd root against your team?  It's not enough for me, but that's just my opinion.

Lastly, the point about how "you can't call Danny a genius if you like his draft pick because he wouldn't have been available if we hadn't lost so many games this year" makes some assumptions.

1.  That the player would have been taken by someone else before our turn came.  False.  How many teams passed over Rondo, Garnett and Pierce?  Rondo was picked #21, Garnett was #5 (Joe Smith, Antonio McDyess, Jerry Stackhouse and Rasheed were taken before him.  Do you think Kevin McHale said "Damn!  If only we had lost a few more games we could have had Joe Smith!) and Pierce, at #10, was picked after Olawakandi, Raef LaFrentz and Robert "Tractor" Traylor.  The drafting of those other players pushed KG etal down and that's why he was available at #5.  

2.  That your W-L record has a significant impact on where you draft.  Minny ended up tied with Washington for the 3rd worst record that year (Clips at 17-65, Minny and Washington tied at 21-61).  So, they should have been no worse than 3rd but ended up with the #5 pick (KG).  We had the 2nd worst record in the league in 1997 and had the 3rd and 5 picks (Billups and Mercer).  In 1998 we were tied with Milwaukee for 9th/10th worst record, picked 10th and got Paul Pierce.  Damn!  If only we had lost a few more games we could have had Jason Williams instead.  

3.  Your draft slot means that's who you get.  The Bucks, in the 1998 draft, picked ahead of us (they won the coin flip and picked ninth and we picked tenth).  (Voice of Commissioner David Stern):  With the #6 pick in the 1998 draft, the Dallas Mavericks select (pause) Robert Traylor, of the University of Michigan.  The Dallas Mavericks trade Robert Traylor to the Milwaukee Bucks for the #9 pick in the 1998 draft and for Milwaukee's #19 pick in the 1998 draft.  (Later that draft night):  With the #19 pick in the 1998 draft, the Dallas Mavericks select Pat Garrity, of the University of Notre Dame.  The Dallas Mavericks trade Pat Garrity, Bubba Wells, Martin Muursepp and the #9 pick in the 1998 draft, to the Phoenix Suns for Steve Nash.  The #9 pick in the 1998 draft turned out to be Shawn Marion, and Phoenix ended up getting Nash back.  So, instead of picking Nowitzki with the #6 pick, they ended up picking him up with the #9 pick.  Think there would be a big difference if they had the #7 pick?  I don't, not unless you're convinced that Traylor was going to be gone at #7 and, once he was unavailable, the Bucks would have lost interest or pursued whichever team did draft him at 7.

NBA GM's minds are riddles, wrapped in a mystery, inside of an enigma.  Draft picks are toys to them.  The Lakers are desperate for a PG.  If Marcus Smart and Dante Exum are off the board by the time they pick you don't think they'd want to talk trade?  If we pick either of those players, don't you think Mitch Kupchak and Danny Ainge wouldn't talk about sending him west while we get the Lakers' pick later that round and someone else Danny likes?  Or don't you think that Exum or Smart will be available by #5 or 6?  This is far, far, far from linear.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:09 pm

I believe that what BobH just said goes along with what I've been saying. Probabilities are not definite. Lets allow that to sink in for a moment... Nothing is predetermined, no matter how many games you lose. The NBA has that function worked into the draft so you can't just lose all of your games and pick 1st year after year. The Celtics could very well end up with the top pick in this next draft despite having the 4th or 5th worst record. Sure, you can increase your chances by intentionally missing a few shots mid-game but that doesn't mean the next MJ or KB or LBJ is going to fall into your lap.

I agree with Sam when he said that rooting for the team to win games is not the same as being against the team getting a high draft pick. I'm pretty sure everyone here wants the C's to get the best pick possible, so to hash something out like that sounds quite silly. We all knew that there would be a lot of losses. Whether these losses have any extra benefit remains to be seen until the day of judgment.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:18 pm

Ofcourse probabilities are not definite, thats why the system was created to discourage teams from tanking, we obviously need luck, we haven't had it the last 2 times we were in this predicament/position.....so maybe were due. The probability for 4th and 6th is close, but I still prefer getting close to the bottom without being all the way there as the bottom dweller has rarely ever got the first pick either. All that being said would rather be 4th worst going in than 9th or 10th, so glad we didn't get an extra 7-8 wins for da Gipper!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 pm

The issue isn't about looking back on the Celtics' record this season and being happy or unhappy about it.  It's about rooting for or against them during each given game. 

Whatever!  To each his/her own.  The fantasy handicapping will mercifully be over after four more games, and then everyone can start rooting for or against balls rather than for or against the Celtics.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2