With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green?

+3
k_j_88
Sam
7 posters

Go down

With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green? Empty With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green?

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 pm

CELTIC LIFE

The latest signing has swingman Trevor Ariza leaving Washington and heading to the Rockets.

This is certainly a blow for the Wizards. They made serious strides towards contention last season and now have arguably the best backcourt in the game with John Wall and Bradley Beal. The last thing they want to do is take a step back just as Beal and Wall start to take off. The Wizards now need a small forward and the crop of free agent wings is shrinking by the day.

Well it just so happens that Boston has a small forward that could be a nice third or fourth option on a playoff team in Jeff Green, a guy the Wizards have reportedly expressed an interest in before.

We still have no idea which direction Danny Ainge plans to go in this rebuild. Rajon Rondo is still on the roster surrounded by a ton of youth. Ainge will undoubtedly keep trying to snag Kevin Love, as long as he's in Minnesota, but the chances of that deal actually happening weaken day by day.

One thing we do know, Ainge is in asset acquisition mode and if he can shed some salary in the process, all the better. Getting Green off the books and getting something meaningful out of him would be a great move.

In terms of trading Green to Washington, there aren't a ton of options. They've been reportedly shopping Nene, but he's owed $26 million over the next two seasons and, at 31 years old, wouldn't make a ton of sense on this roster, unless Love comes to town.

The only move that seems to make sense would be swapping Green for Otto Porter. The third overall pick in the 2013 draft didn't get much run last season averaging 8.6 minutes per game sitting the bench behind Ariza. He could be a very nice starting small forward in the league, but he's an unknown. Not something you want if you are contending right now. Green, while inconsistent, is a much more known commodity and could help take some of the scoring burden off of Wall and Beal, while not having to be "the man" himself.

Green is set to make $9.2 million this season and has a player option for the same in 2015. Porter will make $4,470,480 this season and is controlled financially for the next three seasons after that with a qualifying offer in 2017. The Wizards do have some free cap space at the moment. Not a ton, but enough to be able to swap Porter for Green without having to include other contracts to make the trade.

As for picks, it's hard to say who should give up one. Boston gets to ditch Green's salary and get a nice young piece to continue the youth movement and the Wizards get a starting-caliber wing to keep them in the playoff hunt. Seems like a win-win. Boston might have to give up a second rounder or two just to help facilitate the deal, but it's more than worth it. Even if Boston had no choice, but to give up a first, that Clippers pick in 2015 is always an option.

If this team isn't looking to win right away, Green has to go. He makes too much and Boston can use all the cap space and young players it can get.

Back to top Go down

With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green? Empty Re: With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green?

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:15 pm

IF THERE IS A BASKETBALL GOD...THIS DEAL SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE FROM A MATCH UP.

Back to top Go down

With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green? Empty Re: With Trevor Ariza signing with Houston, could Washington come calling on Jeff Green?

Post by Sam Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Anyone know anything about Porter and why he "could be a very nice starting small forward in the league?"

If the word "ton" had never been invented, this writer would be at a complete loss for words.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:21 pm

To answer my own question, Porter is 6' 9" and weighs under 200.  My kind of choice for a featherweight league.  Shooting percentages of 41% (2 pointers) 19% (3 pointers) 67% (free throws).  Two points in about 8.5 minutes a game. 7' 1 1/2" wingspan and a pretty good defender at several positions. Smart. Color me underwhelmed.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:27 pm

SAM,

YOU CLEAR A CONTRACT THAT PROBABLY RUN 2 YEARS AT $9M+

SECOND THEY GUY WAS NOT PLAY SIGNIFICANT MINUTES AND SHOWED VERY GOOD PROMISE IN COLLEGE FOR GEORGE TOWN. HEY ANYONE.........JUST GET THE SALARY CLEARED AND THEN YOU ARE LEFT ONLY WITH WALLACE.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:39 pm

You should know I don't give a thick ---- about contracts and clearing salaries.  That's Danny's business.  Mine is what happens on the court.  I'm inherently opposed to giving up a rotation player for an unknown, unproven player.  Maybe this Porter would have some promise, at least based on his defensive credentials.  If such a trade happens, I hope so.

Here's an idea for the Celtics.  Buy out every player on the roster, cease operations for a while, and then they'll be all set—still a few draft picks for Danny to sit and thumb through, no players, plenty of cap space, and a team no one wants to join or watch.

Sam

Last edited by sam on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:22 pm

112288 wrote:SAM,

SECOND THEY GUY WAS NOT PLAY SIGNIFICANT MINUTES AND SHOWED VERY GOOD PROMISE IN COLLEGE FOR GEORGE TOWN. HEY ANYONE.........JUST GET THE SALARY CLEARED AND THEN YOU ARE LEFT ONLY WITH WALLACE.

It's so bad that Jeff Green makes $9M a year? Really? Parsons and Hayward are going to make $15M and $16M, respectively. And statistically, they are basically around the same level as Jeff Green. I can't see how anyone can even remotely rationalize how Green's contract is bad.

If you're not replacing Jeff Green with at least a Durant, then it's a waste of time.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:04 pm

k_j_88 wrote:
112288 wrote:SAM,

It's so bad that Jeff Green makes $9M a year? Really? Parsons and Hayward are going to make $15M and $16M, respectively. And statistically, they are basically around the same level as Jeff Green. I can't see how anyone can even remotely rationalize how Green's contract is bad.

If you're not replacing Jeff Green with at least a Durant, then it's a waste of time.

KJ

Parsons and Hayward are not statistically "basically around the same level as Jeff Green." The big difference is assists, one of the most important categories. And there are other categories as well where Green is below them. That's why statistically, Green rates out as one of the worst small forwards in the league. I showed you the list months ago based on the stat system I invented in the early 80's that turned into the Schick Pivotal Player Award in 1984 after the NBA bought it from me and tweaked it a bit, which was their perogative. If you want to question the validity of that system I'll show you a photo of me awarding Magic Johnson the first trophy in 1982.

To refresh, Jeff Green rated at 18.21 last year (anything below 20 is terrible), Chandler Parsons was 24.95 and Gordon Hayward was 25.92. Anything above 24 is better than average and constitutes a solid player. There were only a couple of small forwards in the whole league who played more than 20 minutes a game that were worse than Green. You saw the list.

You keep lauding Jeff Green but his overall offensive game - when ALL the categories they keep stats on that you see at Yahoo Sports and NBA.com are incorporated in a formula that the NBA (and several legendary coaches I interviewed) thought made a lot of sense - is truly awful.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Swapping Green for Otto Porter.

The Otto Porter?  I can't take it; we'll have banner #18 in no time!

Really!  Really?

Green may need to go, I'll even volunteer to hold the door for him on his way out, but where does this one come from?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:20 am

NYCelt wrote:Swapping Green for Otto Porter.

The Otto Porter?  I can't take it; we'll have banner #18 in no time!

Really!  Really?

Green may need to go, I'll even volunteer to hold the door for him on his way out, but where does this one come from?

"Without Ariza, the Wizards are counting on the development of rising second-year player Otto Porter, who had his best game as a pro in the opening game of summer league Saturday vs. the Atlanta Hawks. Porter scored a game-high 25 points and dominated in a 90-74 victory."

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wizards-say-goodbye-trevor-ariza-position-kevin-durant?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:27 am

First of all, another sportswriting genius with access to a blog bites the dust. I wish I could keep track of them all who have also gone down but there's just too many.

But let's just say the Wiz didn't sign Pierce, I still wouldn't do this deal. Jeff Green's ups-and-downs might have stunned me into a manic-depressive daze last year but when you consider the contracts that are being signed by Parsons and Ariza he's a steal. Last year, when Chandler Parsons was on a rookie contract then oh yeah did he look good but at $15M? And don't get me wrong, I really really LIKE Chandler Parsons, but is he 65% or so BETTER than Green?

This is assuming we're caring about salaries in the first place and not just focusing on talent.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:06 am

Steve,

So because they are a little more efficient, they should make nearly twice as much? Really?

You think Parsons is a $15M/year player? Same with Hayward?

I understand that Green's stats weren't the greatest - that's not what I'm saying. My point is, I've seen the stats of all three players, and the differences are not really that big, at least not enough to command a $7-6M/yr difference in salary. Jeff Green is actually a bargain at $9M. I think he'll have a better year this season, and he just needs to make a few tweaks to his game. Jeff needs to take better shots, move around the court more, and try to cut down on turnovers. Those three things alone would shut any gap you think exists.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:29 am

With Paul to Washington now what's the chances Miami goes looking for a starting SF after their last one took his talents to Lake Erie?

I don't dislike jeff or feel the way some do about his salery, but for another future first I'd be aliright letting him go...

Right now it's all about keeping rondo, deviloping the kids, draft pick accumulation and cap space next summer...
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:51 am

Matty wrote:With Paul to Washington now what's the chances Miami goes looking for a starting SF after their last one took his talents to Lake Erie?

I don't dislike jeff or feel the way some do about his salery,  but for another future first I'd be aliright letting him go...

Right now it's all about keeping rondo, deviloping the kids, draft pick accumulation and cap space next summer...

Matty,

Miami is in negotiations with Luol Deng.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:04 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Steve,

So because they are a little more efficient, they should make nearly twice as much? Really?

I understand that Green's stats weren't the greatest - that's not what I'm saying. My point is, I've seen the stats of all three players, and the differences are not really that big, at least not enough to command a $7-6M/yr difference in salary. Jeff Green is actually a bargain at $9M. I think he'll have a better year this season, and he just needs to make a few tweaks to his game. Jeff needs to take better shots, move around the court more, and try to cut down on turnovers. Those three things alone would shut any gap you think exists.

KJ

I never said Parsons was worth $15 million or Hayward was worth $16 million.  I think both of them are significantly overpaid.  I also think Green is overpaid at $9 million for what he's giving us.

By the way, as for Green, if he's not going to produce a decent amount of assists he should either shoot well or rebound well. And he does neither of those either.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:59 pm

k_j_88 wrote:Steve,

KJ

Houston also agrees with both of us that Parsons is overpaid at $15 million and declined to match Dallas's offer:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--chandler-parsons-joining-mavericks-after-rockets-decline-to-match-offer-222130521.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down