dboss
bobheckler
tjmakz
swish
k_j_88
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Report: Cavs offer Wiggins & Bennett for Love - Page 2 Empty Re: Report: Cavs offer Wiggins & Bennett for Love

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:35 pm

swish wrote:
sam wrote:I don't see how Love can be criticized for not making winners out of the Wolves singlehandedly.  Who was surrounding and coaching him?

Sam

Sam--Right on the money!

Many, many teams have had an elite player, but because of a weak supporting cast, have failed to contend for a championship.

swish

Contending for a championship doesn't necessarily = playoff berth. Each year, there are teams that get in the playoffs that have zero chance of winning it all. Kevin Love has yet to get into the playoffs.

I'm not saying Kevin Love is not a good player to have on a team, but I don't see him as the type of player that can impose a gravitational force on the game, as say Lebron or Durant can.

To my earliest point, I would just rather develop Wiggins, but that's my perspective.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Report: Cavs offer Wiggins & Bennett for Love - Page 2 Empty Re: Report: Cavs offer Wiggins & Bennett for Love

Post by Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:09 pm

KJ,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what "impose a gravitational force on a team" means. Did Lebron ever impose his will to the extent of singlehandedly carrying his team to a championship? How many times has Kevin Durant imposed his will so strongly that the Thunder have won a championship?

Sorry, not buying this criticism of Love. Not that it really matters in Celticland because I guess the odds are stacked pretty highly against his landing in green.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:14 pm

sam wrote:KJ,

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what "impose a gravitational force on a team" means.  Did Lebron ever impose his will to the extent of singlehandedly carrying his team to a championship?  How many times has Kevin Durant imposed his will so strongly that the Thunder have won a championship?

Sorry, not buying this criticism of Love.  Not that it really matters in Celticland because I guess the odds are stacked pretty highly against his landing in green.

Sam

Sam,

I was posing my stance in reference to reaching playoffs. I wouldn't deem it fair to place a championship victory as the benchmark for this simply because so few teams have done it.

In regards to the likes of Lebron and Durant, sure, no one does it alone, but they are the primary engines behind their teams. Without Lebron, Cleveland doesn't beat Detroit to eventually face the Spurs the title in 2007. Kevin had help in Westbrook and Harden when OKC reached the finals, but I would still give KD the nod over Love in terms of his residual effect on his team is greater than that of Kevin Love.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:08 pm

KJ

My use of the word contender was perhaps a little too vague. I should have stated "serious contender", which to me generally only includes teams that make the playoffs while playing .600% ball or better.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm

KJ,

My points would apply to making the playoffs just as much as to contending for a championship. As far as I'm concerned, it's all about the team; and assigning a particular degree of value or lack of value to an individual player is risky at best.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am

Wiggins, according to the reports, is signing with the Cavaliers. This means that IF a deal involving Wiggins happens it won't be for 30 days from his signature date.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 am

I guess my post from the Onion about the Cavs trading Wiggins and Lebron for Love flew right over everyone's head. Or is it heads?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:25 pm

worcester wrote:I guess my post from the Onion about the Cavs trading Wiggins and Lebron for Love  flew right over everyone's head. Or is it heads?

W -

I had missed that; thanks for calling attention to it.

Classic Onion!  Fits right in with the current over-valuation and fascination around the league when it comes to Love.

It would be fun to sit and talk with some of the Onion writers.  I imagine it's quite the collection and combination of intellect and wry humor.

...and I think it's "head."

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Speaking of heads, the Onion writers are all cheese heads as they come from Madison, WI.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:47 pm

Definitely "head."

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:54 pm

worcester wrote:Speaking of heads, the Onion writers are all cheese heads as they come from Madison, WI.

Went to school in Wisconsin, pronounced "Wis-gahn-son" by long-time residents.

Madison is an especially wild trip, with some state capital office buildings sharing a peninsula with the hospital, state park land and the main university campus.

Managed to visit after a bowl game win.  I've still never again been to that big and widespread of a party, still can't believe some of the things I saw, and still can't remember exactly how I got back to my own campus the next day.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:03 pm

NYCelt wrote:
worcester wrote:Speaking of heads, the Onion writers are all cheese heads as they come from Madison, WI.

Madison is an especially wild trip, with some state capital office buildings sharing a peninsula with the hospital, state park land and the main university campus.

Managed to visit after a bowl game win.  I've still never again been to that big and widespread of a party, still can't believe some of the things I saw, and still can't remember exactly how I got back to my own campus the next day.

NYCelt,

Like "Lun-GUY-lend".

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:

NYCelt,

Like "Lun-GUY-lend".

bob

Exactly!
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next