Sam
steve3344
jeb
dboss
sdceltfan
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What Is Necessary to turn Celtic Season Around Empty What Is Necessary to turn Celtic Season Around

Post by sdceltfan Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:32 pm

Although I have been disappointed with the play of this year's team (even with the injuries), I can see where there is a possibility of this team getting to the NBA finals. However, I feel they have very little room for error, even if they satisfy the pre-requisites listed below:

1) more consistent energy on both offensive and defensive ends;

2) more efficient floor play (fewer turnovers);

3) better rebounding (not giving up so many offensive rebounds);

4) better use of fouls (not letting opposing teams get into penalyt foul shooting;

5) better player and ball movement.

Are these goals impossible for this team? Not at all. Do I think this team will succeed in taking care of these goals? No. Do I think injuries and lack of "chemistry" are the cause for these failings? No. I have felt the reasons for the Celtics' decline in quality of play goes much deeper than injury and "chemistry" factors. Still do.

A lot of what the 5 items listed above boils down to is "professionalism". Playing basketball in a professional manner; one that reflects basketball character, IQ, and desire. For whatever reasons this team is not playing in a professional manner. There, I said it.

Do any of you feel that the five items listed above are consistently being met? Is this team playing with high basketball character, IQ, and desire? Even with injuries and lack of chemistry could at least some of the 5 items be met? Russel's teams did it, that much everyone agrees with. We have a number of players that are termed veterans on this team. That have played together on this team this year. Is chemistry that elusive that other teams must have it and we don't? We lost to 2 teams last relatively weak teams recently that had their best players out with injury.

All the chemistry in the world will not save this season unless a number of our players take a good look in the mirror, and open their ears to what Rivers is trying get across.

At least that's the way I see it!

Go Celtics!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

What Is Necessary to turn Celtic Season Around Empty Re: What Is Necessary to turn Celtic Season Around

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:07 am

Perhaps the mind and heart is there but the physical ability to pull off what Doc is preaching is gone. I tend to think that is the case. They will execute for brief periods during a game to either run the score up or catch up but their energy to execute down the stretch is missing.

The bench is playing well below expectations and is probably the number one problem facing the Celtics. My call is to get ride of some of the dead wood on the bench and shake up the team. Who?

House - can't play point guard and has lost his shot. Ya a game here or there he gets hot, but he is below his career 3 pt percentage and is a defensive liability.

Davis - not taking his 15 ft shot and hitting. Too heavy with real no vertical leaping ability which hurts the Celtic's on both boards. C's as a team are 28th out of 30 teams in rebounding.

Scal - fan favorite but he is slow and so so on 3 pt shooting.

Where is Williams to bump and grind. Doc buries him on the bench after a great showing by the guy while Baby was rehabing. What a joke.

Another problem is that they have Rondo who is a run and gun player who is surrounded by 3 aging guys who cannot keep up the fast tempo for long periods of time and a center who is slow. So the Celtic's are kind of caught in a situation that is not easily fixed unless you add youth to the starting five.

Back to top Go down

What Is Necessary to turn Celtic Season Around Empty Re: What Is Necessary to turn Celtic Season Around

Post by sdceltfan Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:41 pm

A tough loss to the Lakers! However, I saw great improvement in a number of items previously listed:

1) energy and aggression (a great, sustained improvement in defense; offensively with about 9 minutes left in 4th quarter, the Celtics started walking up the court; more isolations; more difficult shots AGAIN. What is so difficult for players and coaches to understand? STAY AGGRESSIVE 48 MINUTES OFFENSIVELY!!!! IT'S WHAT GETS YOU THE LEAD. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

2) more efficient floor game (although there were too many turnovers in the 1st and 4th quarters, for the most part floor management was quite good; Pierce is still handling the ball too much in 4th quarters: he has lost a step and his decisiom-making has deteriorated along with his confidence);

3) rebounding (held the Lakers to few offensive rebounds throughout most of the game; overall an improvement, more players flying for the ball)

4) better use of fouls (a great improvement; the Celtics played a high energy, helping defense for the most part);

5) player and ball movement (through 3 quarters GREAT, but AGAIN the Celtics started walking the ball up court in the 4th quarter! SO FRUSTRATING!).

As i mentioned in the original post (and for 2 months), the problem with the Celtics is mainly WANT TO, and they can't seem to be able TO SUSTAIN or WANT TO DURING 4TH QUARTERS. keep pushing the ball. It is so clear that the Celtics need to be aggressive that it is getting to be ridiculous.

Yes, this team can win the NBA title. But not the way they play 4th quarters. After seeing this game, I am even more convinced that Tony Allen should be playing a greater role. He and Rondo's aggression brought the Celtics back - not increased "chemistry".

It was AGGRESSION that built the Celtics' lead. Aggressive defense almost maintained it. Lack of aggressive offense in the 4th quarter again lost it.

How many assists in the 4th quarter?

Go Celtics!!

2)

1)

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:44 pm

I thought that the Celtics did play with a lot of energy throughout the game but they changed the way they were playing as the game got closer.

I despise isolation basketball.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Sd celt

I concur 100% about aggression. I just stared on in disbelief as we REGRESSED to slow down unceltic iso ball with PP. Just dont get it. Why not stay with what worked.

What a heartbreaker. But plenty of glimmers. I think the Lakes are struggling trying to guard quick players. A weakness that we should have continued to exploit. Woulda coulda shoulda.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 pm

sdceltfan wrote:A tough loss to the Lakers! However, I saw great improvement in a number of items previously listed:

1) energy and aggression (a great, sustained improvement in defense; offensively with about 9 minutes left in 4th quarter, the Celtics started walking up the court; more isolations; more difficult shots AGAIN. What is so difficult for players and coaches to understand? STAY AGGRESSIVE 48 MINUTES OFFENSIVELY!!!! IT'S WHAT GETS YOU THE LEAD. IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!!

2) more efficient floor game (although there were too many turnovers in the 1st and 4th quarters, for the most part floor management was quite good; Pierce is still handling the ball too much in 4th quarters: he has lost a step and his decisiom-making has deteriorated along with his confidence);

3) rebounding (held the Lakers to few offensive rebounds throughout most of the game; overall an improvement, more players flying for the ball)

4) better use of fouls (a great improvement; the Celtics played a high energy, helping defense for the most part);

5) player and ball movement (through 3 quarters GREAT, but AGAIN the Celtics started walking the ball up court in the 4th quarter! SO FRUSTRATING!).

As i mentioned in the original post (and for 2 months), the problem with the Celtics is mainly WANT TO, and they can't seem to be able TO SUSTAIN or WANT TO DURING 4TH QUARTERS. keep pushing the ball. It is so clear that the Celtics need to be aggressive that it is getting to be ridiculous.

Yes, this team can win the NBA title. But not the way they play 4th quarters. After seeing this game, I am even more convinced that Tony Allen should be playing a greater role. He and Rondo's aggression brought the Celtics back - not increased "chemistry".

It was AGGRESSION that built the Celtics' lead. Aggressive defense almost maintained it. Lack of aggressive offense in the 4th quarter again lost it.

How many assists in the 4th quarter?

Go Celtics!!

2)

1)

Assists at the half: 13
Assists third quarter: 3
Assists fourth quarter: 4

Once again, our assists in the first half greatly exceed assists in the second half. Usually by 2 to 1.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 pm

The tone and pace of this game changed dramatically, as often happens in the second half. It became more of a free lance contest. Both the Celtics and Lakers had three assists in the third quarter and four assists in the fourth quarter.

And, by the way, the Celts outrebounded the Lakers (slightly) at both ends.

The Celtics lost this game for one reason and one reason only. They didn't push the ball in the last five minutes.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Obviously I agree, Sam. Too much Pierce handling the ball on isolations. AGAIN! Paul is a step slower at the current time. Will he get it back? I don't know. I do know handing the ball to Paul to isolate is a recipe for losses.

If I were Rivers, if you don't continue to be aggressive and push the ball, you come out. Rivers is allowing this to happen, so I feel the coaching staff is at blame, also. More push, more assists. I believe only 3 Celtics had assists today. Could that be a record?

This has been a CONSTANT theme, yet continues to go unchanged. I will continue to say, "I just don't understand it" until I see aggression return to 4th quarter Celtic offense. I would rather fail with aggression than lose without it. Pla Tony Allen more.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:32 pm

sd,

Interesting to note that many of us are now calling for more minutes for Tony Allen. A few weeks ago I think we all would rather be covered with honey and tied to an ant hill. Make it red ants at that. A reminder that situations can change quickly.

Despite the loss, in many ways there were more promising signs emerging today. The rebounding differential which you often lament, and even Doc has been quoted as saying is the #1 problem, swung our way. I believe we are among the league leaders in turnovers, and in the first quarter we continued to cough it up. I haven't seen the stats but in the second and third quarters I thought we looked much better in that department. Interesting that Doc says turnovers and carelessness with the ball is problem #2.

You and Doc seem to be on the same page as to what to fix; unfortunately no sign of his sending some of his payroll deposit your way.

I hated to lose the way we did, but there appeared to be a few reasons to have hope that we can pick it up again.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 pm

nyc

Your saving me. Feeling a bit hopeless about the season. PP is a step slower. But I dont think it's age. I tend to think his knee aint 100%

It seems pretty bleak right now dont it?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Jeb, I saw a glimmer today that I haven't seen in weeks. Healthy, we have the team to go all the way. But we need to play the 4th quarters with much more offensive energy.

We are not playing 48 minutes of professional basketball, and we have lost some of our swagger. They can get it back, but it is going to take a concerted effort to do so. Lip service just won't get it done.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Sdcelt

Cheers. Need a boost.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:17 pm

The Celtics couldn't turn this season around if Doc had a GPX, googled Mapquest, or used a boomerang!-MD.

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:20 pm

MDCelt

I call bullshit on that.

Hang tough sugar daddy it'll pass. We'll whip out ten inna row here pretty soon.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:27 pm

sdceltfan wrote:Jeb, I saw a glimmer today that I haven't seen in weeks. Healthy, we have the team to go all the way. But we need to play the 4th quarters with much more offensive energy.

We are not playing 48 minutes of professional basketball, and we have lost some of our swagger. They can get it back, but it is going to take a concerted effort to do so. Lip service just won't get it done.

Go Celtics!!

Agreed
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:34 pm

jeb65 wrote: We'll whip out ten inna row here pretty soon.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happens.

I sincerely think the wins are brewing and as dark as today's finish seemed I believe some of the signs are finally there.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:37 pm

NYC

It cant rain every day. And for every dark night there's a bright day...hell actually that's tupac but I agree.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:45 pm

SD,

You've been concerned for a long time with lack of energy in the fourth quarter. So I have a question for you (more as an "energy expert" and not in any way contentious).

I don't believe it was lack of energy that started Rondo walking the ball up the floor in the last few minutes, after pushing the ball had been mainly responsible for the great comeback and forging of a good-sized lead. I think it was done deliberately.

He would walk up and stand there, pounding the ball into the floor, until at least 10 seconds had elapsed on the shot clock. It got to where every play looked like one of those quarter-ending standaround plays that I hate so much. All the while, you could see the Lakers defense becoming more and more aggressive as the Celtics' options became increasingly limited.

Aside from one KG bailout jumper, I can't recall anything good that came from it. Yeah, Ray got fouled, and there was probably some other some Celtics points. But I had the distinct feeling of futility every time the Celtics used that slowdown tactic. And you just knew the Lakers were going to get at least a decent shot on almost every possession (despite some pretty good Celtics defense).

So, after that long-winded buildup, what's your theory as to why Rondo walks the ball up in that circumstance. And please don't tell me he's tired because I'm not buying that as the reason not to push the ball. (And I'm not talking about fast-breaking.)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:34 pm

Sam, I have no idea why the Celtics don't push the ball the 4th quarter. That is why I have been using the phrase "I just don't understand it". I just know that the energy and aggression level are way down the 4th quarter. You tell me!

Is it a purposeful offensive plan structured by the coaches? I don't know. I do know that Rivers hasn't detailed disappointment with the "manner" 4th quarters are being played. That bothers me.

All I know is player and ball movement almost comes to a halt. Regardless of why, it is costing the Celtics wins and confidence. Hell no, Rondo isn't tired. Sam, you tell me.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Evidently Rondo came out with a quote inferring the Celtics' had different agendas and were not of one mind and goal. The other night Rondo said at halftime we have to maintain energy. It is halftime against the Heat, and again Rondo refers to the Celtics needing to move the ball in 4th quarter, as well.

Gee, sounds like just what I have been referring to for 2 months. I have mentioned things were amiss in Celtic-land other than injuries. Rivers did not appreciate Rondo's remarks because River has some responsibility in not getting energy and professional play in 4th quarters.

The Celtics again had a great 1st half assist-wise at 17. Offensive chemistry never seems to be a problem the 1st half. Let's see how many the Celtics can accumulate the 2nd half and 4th quarter. Rondo sits at 8 assists.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm

4 assists the 4th quarter for the Celtics. Rondo with 2 in the quarter. Not a good sign. Let's see if the Celtics can turn a new leaf and have more player and ball movement.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Make that the 4 assists in the 3rd quarter. Sorry about that. The Celtics opened up the 4th quarter standing around again. Rivers says it is up to Rondo and Ray. C'mon Doc, how about the other players moving their ### and providing some energy!! Rivers has really disappointed me the last month, as I have seen so few adjustments.

Wallace is showing very little defensive movement or help. You talk about a disappointment! He doesn't come even close to providing what Posey did 2 years ago. He has great hands, but isn't moving a lick.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by sdceltfan Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 pm

8 assists in the 4th quarter!! Much better player and ball movement. Tony Allen played down the wire and made a huge defensive play.

The one thing that was evident again tonite was the lack of quickness of our frontline. Perkins, Wallace, and Garnett can move vertically, but they are almost nailed to the floor. Garnett probably will be dragging his leg the rest of the year. Davis is our quickest frontline player, but is undersized.

The Celtic defense is nothing like it was 2 years ago, nor will it be again this year. Thank God for Tony Allen the rest of the year! He still plays "velcro" defense, and is by far our best defense player. When the Celtics have the lead in 4th quarters, he just has to play.

Encouraged by offense energy. Does Pierce on the bench have anything to do with better ball movement? I don't believe in coincidences. Discouraged by lack of frontline defense. "Help" defense just wasn't there.

Go Celtics!!

sdceltfan

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:29 am

sdcelt

was bugged by lack of urgency at home. Need to start beating down some teams and set a tone. Defend home court.

But lotta good things and we won without the cap.

Kg had 9 friggin dimes.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:06 pm

SD,

Good question about Pierce and ball movement. I don't think it's a matter of anyone else (e.g. Tony) moving the ball better. It's more a matter of moving the ball at all in pressure situations. I've always felt that Paul's first instinct, when the chips are down, is to focus on what he can do to help the team win. And sometimes that works great, and we're all glad he was able to put the team on his back. (We probably don't win the 2008 championship otherwise.)

By way of contrast, I think Rondo's first instinct, when the chips are down, is to focus more generally on what can be done to help the team win.

I'd be willing to wager that, in Doc's most private moments, a quandary that plagues him is how to reconcile and extract the best from those two diverse philosophies.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next