Report: Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap

3 posters

Go down

Report:  Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap Empty Report: Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:42 am

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/01/report-brandan-wright-to-sign-with-grizzlies-who-might-face-hard-cap/

Report: Brandan Wright to sign with Grizzlies, who might face hard cap
Dan Feldman Jul 1, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT

The Grizzlies seem likely to bring back Marc Gasol.

They’ve probably just agreed to terms with his backup – or, worst-case scenario, his replacement.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔@WojYahooNBA
Free agent forward Brandan Wright has agreed to a three-year, nearly $18M deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
3:32 PM - 1 Jul 2015
  1,485 1,485 Retweets  740 740 favorites

It sounds as if the Grizzlies used the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, which would hard cap them at a projected $85.6 million.

The taxpayer MLE can be worth up to $17,129,640 over three years. The non-taxpayer MLE – which would not trigger a hard cap – maxes out at $10,276,530 over three years.

They’ll still have plenty of leeway to give Gasol a max contract, but this could make it a tighter fit to re-sign Kosta Koufos. I doubt that’s a worry, though. Wright seems to be Koufos’ replacement as the backup center.

In the unlikely event Gasol leaves, Memphis would have cap space to sign Wright and therefore wouldn’t have to worry about the hard cap. So with Wright starting in that scenario, re-signing Koufos wouldn’t be a problem.

The Grizzlies are positioning themselves as well as possible whether Gasol stays or leaves. Of course, it’d be a lot better for them if he stays.

bob
MY NOTE:  See what I mean about 'patience'?  As Yogi said, "it ain't over 'til it's over".  Koufos might fall into our lap because Memphis has hard-capped itself.  This is only Day 2 and the wheel hasn't finished turning yet.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Report:  Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap Empty Re: Report: Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap

Post by wide clyde Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:07 am

Possibly a trade exemption type of deal with Koufos on a sign and trade? It would almost seem that a guard would have to be included in such a trade.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Report:  Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap Empty Re: Report: Brandon Wright To Sign With Griz, Who Might Face Hard Cap

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:11 am

wide clyde wrote:Possibly a trade exemption type of deal with Koufos on a sign and trade?  It would almost seem that a guard would have to be included in such a trade.

clyde,

Guards R Us.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:39 am

bob,

I like that. good point about Guards R Us, but I hope that we do not head into the season with all of these guards and no full time center.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by BaronV Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 am

wide clyde wrote:bob,

I like that.  good point about Guards R Us, but I hope that we do not head into the season with all of these guards and no full time center.

We could have one guard sit on another's shoulders and play center...

-V

BaronV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down