Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look

2 posters

Go down

Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look Empty Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:33 am

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/07/q_a_tom_heinsohn_on_entering_t.html#incart_river

Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look

Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look 18328380-mmmain
Celtics great Tom Heinsohn (right) speaks with host Russ Held at an event Wednesday as part of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's 60 Days of Summer series. (JACK FLAGLER / MASSLIVE)

Print Email Jack Flagler | jflagler@masslive.com By Jack Flagler | jflagler@masslive.com

on July 15, 2015 at 3:50 PM, updated July 15, 2015 at 6:10 PM

SPRINGFIELD – This September, Tommy Heinsohn will enter the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame – for the second time.

Heinsohn will enter the hall as a coach this year, after he was already enshrined in 1986 as a player. He joins John Wooden, Lenny Wilkins and Bill Sharman in a small group honored in Springfield for both their playing and coaching careers. In addition, he will go in this year with Jo-Jo White, one of Heinsohn's former players who earned the spot in the hall more than 30 years after his playing career ended.

The longtime Celtics broadcaster spoke to fans Wednesday at part of the Hall of Fame's ongoing 60 Days of Summer series. Afterwards, MassLive caught up with Heinsohn for a brief conversation.

MassLive: It's been nearly thirty years since the last time you were enshrined in the Hall of Fame, is there anything you'd like to be different this time around?

Tommy Heinsohn (laughing): I just want to be able to walk in.

ML: Jo-Jo White is going in as well this year, what do you expect that will be like, entering into the hall with a player you coached to two titles?

TH: Yeah, that's great. It's long overdue for him. He was instrumental in the nucleus of our team that won two titles. He was a perennial all star he won an Olympic gold medal, why it took so long is beyond me. He's just pleased as punch. He's had some illness, so it will be a special treat for him.

ML: Those teams in the 70's with Jo-Jo, Dave Cowens and John Havlicek, did they have a different character than the ones you played on the 60s?

TH: They came from winning traditions, they were dedicated; Jo-Jo played basketball well into his 50's. Havlicek would have played until he was age 100 if he could have. Cowens, if you ever saw him play, he was a ferocious player and wanted to win. They all had winning personalities.

ML: They were all so hyper competitive so as a young coach, you didn't have to fire them up. What did you see as your role to help them win?

TH: I was up on the sideline yelling 'Run, run, run, run, go through' to make sure they took the runs right to the basket, pull the defense in, and try to get them to put a physical torture test on the other team. They did it willingly and they were great at it.

ML: I want to ask you about the current Celtics team as well. You mentioned earlier what you enjoy most as a broadcaster is watching competitive people perfect their craft. Are there any recent players for which you've especially enjoyed seeing that development?

TH: Well I watched Rajon Rondo, you know, he was the guy who everybody said couldn't play. I watched him imprint his personality, You know, he was a very strong-minded intelligent guy. But I watched him grow as a player and as a person, so that's the last one I really invested in.

This kid Marcus Smart is the same way. The other kid is (Kelly) Olynyk. I'm watching Olynyk to see how he develops, see if he's got the tiger in the belly.

ML: Smart definitely has the tiger in the belly and that fierce competitiveness, what does he have to do to turn that into a successful NBA career?

TH: He'll just grow as a player, understand the little nuances more. I think he understands what his role ultimately will be. He's testing himself in Summer League games, doing what he thinks he eventually will have to do, shooting 3s when they show up.

It's all good stuff for him. He's well on his way, I did mention his defensive ability, he's the best young player I've seen play defensively on ball, ever.

ML: Another thing you mentioned was that you're pleased with where the franchise is right now. There have definitely been some down years during your broadcasting career when it wasn't a great product on the floor, what about this feels different?

TH: There's a plan. Danny is almost the re-incarnation of Red (Auerbach) to a certain degree because he believes in the character of the players. Like every good businessman, he tries to get people who are winning types, and Danny certainly looks for those types of players. If he can couple that with great talent, abilities, basketball IQ, whatever, so much the better.

I'm looking at Summer League watching the last few games, I'm very impressed with the personnel he's going to put on the court, some of the big people, I don't know what he's going to do with all of them. They have really good talent there, all they need is to throw them in the pot, turn up the heat and stir it and see what happens. I think you'll have a great stew.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look Empty Re: Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:29 pm

Not a flattering photo of Heinie, especially because the microphone he's holding looks like an ice cream cone.

I notice he's not that effusive about Olynyk, opting instead to talk about what he's looking for from Kelly.

So here's a totally unfair question for everyone. From the little you know about Perry Jones (i.e., just based on what you've heard or read about his potential), would you prefer to have him or Kelly on the team? And why?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look Empty Re: Q & A: Tom Heinsohn on entering the Hall of Fame (again), how 2015-2016 Boston Celtics look

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 pm

sam wrote:Not a flattering photo of Heinie, especially because the microphone he's holding looks like an ice cream cone.

I notice he's not that effusive about Olynyk, opting instead to talk about what he's looking for from Kelly.

So here's a totally unfair question for everyone.  From the little you know about Perry Jones (i.e., just based on what you've heard or read about his potential), would you prefer to have him or Kelly on the team?  And why?

Sam

Sam,

He's " not that effusive about Olynyk, opting instead to talk about what he's looking for from Kelly."?

As to your question, I'd raher have Kelly.  His motor runs, he has IQ.  PJ3's motor is intermittent and his game relies heavily upon athleticism and his knees are question marks longterm.  At worst Kelly is a very viable 2nd string center or PF.  At best he'll gain muscle, weight and aggressiveness and take a step up.  Perhaps he'll see the departure of Pressey like someone just killed his puppy and it will light a fire under him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:54 pm

Good answers, Bob. I wonder how others will weigh in.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down