Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond

+3
dbrown4
RosalieTCeltics
NYCelt
7 posters

Go down

Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond Empty Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:37 pm

Haven't we been down this road before? Drummond's name seems to pop up annually.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-celtics-among-teams-interested-162026563.html

NBC Sports Boston
Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond
Nick Goss
Mon, Feb 5, 2024, 12:04 PM EST·2 min read

Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

The Boston Celtics could use some more frontcourt depth for the second half of the regular season and the 2024 NBA playoffs, and one player who might be available before Thursday's trade deadline is Chicago Bulls center Andre Drummond.

The Bulls are ninth in the Eastern Conference standings, just barely inside one of the play-in tournament spots. So the Bulls could still technically make the playoffs, but the chances of them winning a round -- assuming they were successful in the play-in tourney -- are incredibly slim.

It makes more sense for them to become full-blown sellers ahead of the trade deadline. Drummond is an unrestricted free agent in the summer, so unless the Bulls view him as part of their long-term plans, it would behoove them to trade him before Thursday and get an asset or two.

Michael Scotto of Hoops Hype reported Monday, citing league sources, that Drummond has drawn interest from the Celtics, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers and Phoenix Suns.

Drummond is in his 12th season and is 30 years old. He's no longer a consistent double-double guy, but he's still an effective role player averaging 7.7 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. He's 6-foot-11 and 280 pounds, so he'd give the Celtics a little more toughness and size in the paint, which might be useful if they face the likes of Joel Embiid, Bam Adebayo, Nikola Jokic or Karl-Anthony Towns in the playoffs.

Drummond's presence also would take minutes away from Kristaps Porzingis and Al Horford for the rest of the regular season. This would help keep both of them fresh for the playoffs. Porzingis has battled plenty of injuries in his career and Horford is 37. The C's cannot afford to play them too many minutes over the next few months and risk fatigue/injury becoming a factor.

Drummond's salary is just $3.36 million, and that figure would fit inside the Celtics' $6.2 million traded player exception (TPE) from the Grant Williams sign-and-trade with the Mavs last summer.

Adding a center like Drummond and/or a wing with size would make for an ideal trade deadline for the Celtics, who entered Monday with a league-best 38-12 record.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond Empty Re: Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm

It is funny, after watching Queta last night, I thought, just maybe, they would pick him for this position and pass on a center. I still feel that way, maybe. The one thing about Drummond is that he is a rebounding machine, and this has been an huge problem at time for the Celtics. I just feel he is a liability at times on the floor. I could go either way here. I am not adverse to a good shooting, defensive wing though. The trouble is, who is out there? Time is winding down, sometimes I wish they would just go out and convince Blake to come out of retirement.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond Empty Re: Report: Celtics among teams interested in Bulls center Andre Drummond

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:07 pm

This is def one to put on the radar. None of the other teams listed (DAL, PHX, LAL) are going past the first round at best in the playoffs. Paging Mr. Stevens!! Paging Mr. Stevens!!

As with you Rosalie, I like Al Queta. He's like an untrained bucking bronco when he's out there.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:15 pm

Once again, I am back and forth about the Celtics needing to add a center.  

If either AH and especially KP are not able to make it into the post season the Celtics would be in trouble.  Adding Drummond to the mix would not compensate for losing either one of them.

The fact is that Boston has more center depth than any team in the NBA.  Kornet and Queta provide depth.  

If there was a piece to add I really think it should be a PF.  If that player could also give something at the wing, depth issues should not be a concern.

I have seen enough of Banton and Mykhailiuk.  These players have not been afforded consistent minutes but what I have seen of them in limited playing time is that neither is reliable.  I do not need to see Banton miss another wide open 3 or fail to finish at the rim (The guy cannot make a layup) As far as Svi is concerned he is also very unreliable.  I pretty much knew that his addition as a shooter was fake news.

Stevens will not get any run either.

If the Celtics are not looking to make a significant move  (Add a guy who could be our 9th or 10th guy) then Brad should probably upgrade Queta's contract.  I think he has shown enough to secure the 15th spot.

The Celtics are still a top heavy team.  CJ is likely to run with a 7-8 man rotation come playoff time.  The big question remains about any player not in our top 6.

Both SH and PP are unproven playoff performers

The Celtics do not need to make a trade to add another end of the bench guy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:55 am

dboss wrote:Once again, I am back and forth about the Celtics needing to add a center.  

If either AH and especially KP are not able to make it into the post season the Celtics would be in trouble.  Adding Drummond to the mix would not compensate for losing either one of them.

The fact is that Boston has more center depth than any team in the NBA.  Kornet and Queta provide depth.  

If there was a piece to add I really think it should be a PF.  If that player could also give something at the wing, depth issues should not be a concern.

I have seen enough of Banton and Mykhailiuk.  These players have not been afforded consistent minutes but what I have seen of them in limited playing time is that neither is reliable.  I do not need to see Banton miss another wide open 3 or fail to finish at the rim (The guy cannot make a layup) As far as Svi is concerned he is also very unreliable.  I pretty much knew that his addition as a shooter was fake news.

Stevens will not get any run either.

If the Celtics are not looking to make a significant move  (Add a guy who could be our 9th or 10th guy) then Brad should probably upgrade Queta's contract.  I think he has shown enough to secure the 15th spot.

The Celtics are still a top heavy team.  CJ is likely to run with a 7-8 man rotation come playoff time.  The big question remains about any player not in our top 6.

Both SH and PP are unproven playoff performers

The Celtics do not need to make a trade to  add another end of the bench guy.  

Just wanted to add I’m shocked how bad Banton is, the rim seems to have a permanent lid on it for him and his defense is nothing either. He actually looks alot worse than Romeo Langford.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:24 am

Actually, Romeo played better defense, Banton is a zero, and Svi is useless, there are two guys who could go as far as I am concerned
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:49 pm

Svi and 2 or 3 second round picks for Drummond? I’d do it.

Remember last draft day when Brad kept trading back a few times to pick up a few extra second round picks? At the time I thought what the heck is he accumulating second round picks for? One super smart cat that Brad Stevens!

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:54 pm

If there was an easy way to offload Svi, Stevens or Banton, I'd sign Drummond.

I still want an open roster spot for [fill in the blank] shooter with length.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm

LeBron??????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:40 pm

Bob33 based on previous statements from Brad, it sounded like he would target a big wing type player.

We already have 4 centers. If we trade for Drummond he would probably be used in case of an emergency. Queta already is that guy I think. His 2-way status prohibits him from participating during the playoffs.

If the Celtics need a big I would be more than comfortable if Queta got that spot.

The Celtics are tied with the Knicks in total rebounds per game at 55.3
https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/total-rebounds-per-game

Drummond best attribute is rebounding. I do not see that he would fill a need.

I looked at both SH and PP playoff numbers. They were not good. CJ was not comfortable using them last
season during the playoffs. This year they have been fully integrated into our everyday rotation. Will they be able to perform at or above their regular season levels? I just do not know. We really do not have an alternative rotation guy available. Brissett is a great energy guy but he is not a very good shooter.

I can see why Brad may have his eyes set on a wing target.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:08 pm

I have been saying, for over three years, that we need a gunner, period. One guy we can rely on to hit the big shots and go back to the bench and not complain about playing time. Just a down and out shooter. I thought Sam would develop into that, but, for every good game, there are those 1/10 nights. And he is not the only one, it appears that pritchard is struggling right now too. His advantage over Sam is his ball handling and quickness. But that can only go so far. Nothing will shock me right now, I just do not know who is out there for Brad to pursue. I am a big fan of Hauser and hope he can be the guy we need, if not, someone is going, don;t know who, but someone will go. Joe likes both guys so I cannot imagine it is one of them, but, as we all know, this is a business
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:52 am

Rosalie,

Sounds like we need to get Eddie House out of retirement! Whoever, if ever, Brad will select in the next 32 hours, will resemble a Derrick White in the fact that hopefully we will have the same initial reaction (WTH???!) and that pick will have the exact same follow through. (Holy Crap!!! And he's our 4th/5th best scorer and plays stellar defense!!??!)  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down