swish
gyso
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Nets Magic Number - Page 5 Empty Re: The Nets Magic Number

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

Just to dribble this thread on a bit more, not that it really matters to us, the Lakers won last night in LA vs Minny.  The Phoenix Sun's Magic Number to clinch the 2nd worst record is 1.  Phoenix losing their last game (tomorrow in Sacramento) or Lakers winning either one of their two remaining games (tomorrow @ home vs NOP or in Oakland vs GSW) locks Phoenix into the #2 spot behind Brooklyn.

Like I said, it doesn't much matter to us directly, but if the Lakers end up with the #4 pick or lower (e.g. #5, #6) they give that pick to Philly.  If they tie Phoenix they flip a coin to see who gets the #2 spot and who is #3.  If the Lakers are #2 they have a better chance of staying out of #4 and worse.  Do we really want the Sixers to get another high draft pick?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:Just to dribble this thread on a bit more, not that it really matters to us, the Lakers won last night in LA vs Minny.  The Phoenix Sun's Magic Number to clinch the 2nd worst record is 1.  Phoenix losing their last game (tomorrow in Sacramento) or Lakers winning either one of their two remaining games (tomorrow @ home vs NOP or in Oakland vs GSW) locks Phoenix into the #2 spot behind Brooklyn.

Like I said, it doesn't much matter to us directly, but if the Lakers end up with the #4 pick or lower (e.g. #5, #6) they give that pick to Philly.  If they tie Phoenix they flip a coin to see who gets the #2 spot and who is #3.  If the Lakers are #2 they have a better chance of staying out of #4 and worse.  Do we really want the Sixers to get another high draft pick?

bob

There are further implications if the Lakers lose their pick this year - they would also lose their first round pick in 2019.  Here is an article that explains everything even though it's not real recent:

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/10/14881892/lakers-2017-nba-draft-lottery-odds-trade

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Nets (minor) draft pick intrigue and this time it doesn't include us:

http://www.netsdaily.com/2017/4/11/15266264/with-brook-lin-resting-will-chances-for-indy-pick-rise

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:55 pm

steve3344 wrote:Nets (minor) draft pick intrigue and this time it doesn't include us:

http://www.netsdaily.com/2017/4/11/15266264/with-brook-lin-resting-will-chances-for-indy-pick-rise

I do not believe this is correct.
If Indiana loses tonight and Chicago and Miami wins, they will all be 41-41.
Indiana loses the head to head tie breaker to Miami as Miami won 2 of 3 games.
Indiana and Chicago tied in their head to head matchups 2-2.
Indiana would lose the division tie breaker to Chicago.
That would mean Indiana would fall out of the playoffs and the Nets would get their #44 pick. (45-60 protected)
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:46 pm

Big whoop.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:15 pm

worcester wrote:Big whoop.

Worcester,

This answer reminded me of a story about President Calvin Coolidge, known as "Silent Cal".  He was at a White House reception and a woman said to him "Mr President, I bet I could get you to say three words to me tonight".  Coolidge looked at her and said "You lose" and walked away.

Less is more sometimes.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Yes, Cal and I both went to Amherst College where we learned to be laconic.

In 1895 Conservative Cal lowered the President of the College down the well on a bucket during a student rebellion or so college lore goes...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5