swish
gyso
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Nets Magic Number - Page 3 Empty Re: The Nets Magic Number

Post by tjmakz Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am

bobheckler wrote:Wizards beat the Lakers in LA.  LA was ahead by 13 after 3 and lost by 11.  That's a 24 point turnaround in 12 minutes.  The Wizards scored 37 points in the 4th and the Lakers scored 13.  That is a complete implosion on offense and defense.  How is allowing young players who don't know how to win in the NBA get disassembled like that part of a "player development" plan that makes sense?  There are more than one way to learn besides being on the court and getting humiliated.

It's for the pick?  If the Lakers get the 4th pick or lower they don't own it so losing increasing the odds of getting a top 3 pick?  I would argue that developing these kids right will produce more good next year than stunting their growth with debacles like this and adding another young player.  The Lakers are plenty young enough already, they don't need the youth infusion.  

This is not a anti-Laker rant from a Celtic fan.  I was rooting for LA last night, and will continue to root for them until the Nyets secure the worst record and then they can lose all they want (or win all they want, I don't care).  I just hate tanking and tanking "to develop the kids" like LA and Phoenix are doing is just as bad as tanking for the pick like Philly did under Hinkie.  The only thing getting pounded into paste teaches you is that you suck, and that's not a constructive learning environment.  Kelly Olynyk averaged 20mpg in his rookie year despite the fact that we were only heading towards a 25-win season.  

bob

The Lakers played a great game through 3 quarters last night.
In the 3rd quarter they hit 15 straight field goal attempts.
In the 4th quarter the shots didn't fall and the two best players on the court (Wall and Beal) took over.
Last night's game provided valuable experience to many young Lakers.
Learning to close out games is very different than playing well through 3 quarters.
The Lakers need a youth infusion because top free agents haven't been interested in signing there.
What's the alternative, signing more Mozgov's and Deng's?
Increasing the odds to keep their 2017 1st round pick helps the Lakers this year but could also help them in the future.
If LA keeps their pick this year, that means they also keep their pick in 2019. Orlando would get (2) 2nd round picks instead of a 1st round pick.
Mediocrity is the worst place to be in year after year.
Ask Milwaukee, Indiana, Denver, etc.
They aren't very competitive but not bad enough to draft top talent.

The Lakers are handling their rebuilding the way they should.
If they keep the pick this summer, their tanking days will then be over.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:57 am

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:Wizards beat the Lakers in LA.  LA was ahead by 13 after 3 and lost by 11.  That's a 24 point turnaround in 12 minutes.  The Wizards scored 37 points in the 4th and the Lakers scored 13.  That is a complete implosion on offense and defense.  How is allowing young players who don't know how to win in the NBA get disassembled like that part of a "player development" plan that makes sense?  There are more than one way to learn besides being on the court and getting humiliated.

It's for the pick?  If the Lakers get the 4th pick or lower they don't own it so losing increasing the odds of getting a top 3 pick?  I would argue that developing these kids right will produce more good next year than stunting their growth with debacles like this and adding another young player.  The Lakers are plenty young enough already, they don't need the youth infusion.  

This is not a anti-Laker rant from a Celtic fan.  I was rooting for LA last night, and will continue to root for them until the Nyets secure the worst record and then they can lose all they want (or win all they want, I don't care).  I just hate tanking and tanking "to develop the kids" like LA and Phoenix are doing is just as bad as tanking for the pick like Philly did under Hinkie.  The only thing getting pounded into paste teaches you is that you suck, and that's not a constructive learning environment.  Kelly Olynyk averaged 20mpg in his rookie year despite the fact that we were only heading towards a 25-win season.  

bob

In the 4th quarter the shots didn't fall and the two best players on the court (Wall and Beal) took over.
Learning to close out games is very different than playing well through 3 quarters.
The Lakers need a youth infusion because top free agents haven't been interested in signing there.
Increasing the odds to keep their 2017 1st round pick helps the Lakers this year but could also help them in the future.
If LA keeps their pick this year, that means they also keep their pick in 2019. Orlando would get (2) 2nd round picks instead of a 1st round pick.

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Agreed TJ. Tanking sucks, but for the Lakers this year it makes sense. The Lakers are not going full blown Philly mode, and they are bottoming out. Good luck with he rebuild, Magic.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:28 pm

tjmakz wrote:

bob

tj

If I'm the General Manager - put me down as a tanker - I was a tanker in 1996-97 when the Celtics tanked - and again when they tanked in 2006-07. And when they traded away Pierce and Garnett for the future - I could not have been happier. It's the complex nature of a General Managers job that he deal with the future as well as the present. And don't worry about the Laker kids. After pizza and a few beers last night I'm sure that they decided not to go out looking for a new job today.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 am

The Pistons nosed out the Nyets 90-89.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:42 pm

Both the nets and lakers have played 75 games with 7 to go. Nets are up by 5 in the loss column. If by some miracle Nets won only two but Lakers lost all 7, they'd be tied. Who owns the tie breaker? How is that decided?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:56 pm

worcester wrote:Both the nets and lakers have played 75 games with 7 to go. Nets are up by 5 in the loss column. If by some miracle Nets won only two but Lakers lost all 7, they'd be tied. Who owns the tie breaker? How is that decided?

Foul shooting contest

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:20 pm

worcester wrote:Both the nets and lakers have played 75 games with 7 to go. Nets are up by 5 in the loss column. If by some miracle Nets won only two but Lakers lost all 7, they'd be tied. Who owns the tie breaker? How is that decided?

All ties are determined by a coin flip.
The winner will get 1 more ping pong ball then the team they tied with
No worries about LA winning 7 more.
Maybe 1 or 2 at most.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:06 am

The Nets magic # Is 4.  It is clear to me that they will lose 4 more games including the Boston  matchup, which I think will be an exciting game.

The Nets suck enough to get to their magic number without any help.  This results of course from the fleecing
of the Nets.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Nets beat Orlando.  It is still 4 but only 6 games left and none of the teams at the bottom are trying to win except the Nets.

Not feeling as good about this anymore...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Nets schedule

Atlanta, tomorrow.  B2b.
@ Philly.  No Okafor, no Embiid, no Covington.
@ Orlando.
Chicago
@ Boston
@ Chicago

I'm comfortable with 3 losses:  Atlanta, @ Boston, @ Chicago.  Not comfortable with Philly because they lost their entire front court.  @Orlando?  Maybe.  Chicago?  Good chance but...That still leaves one on the table.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Lakers Schedule

Memphis-b2b
@ San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
@ GSW

Maybe they beat Sacto.  Maybe.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Matty Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:04 pm

I'm not wishin it to happen, but aint Lopez about due for some kind of broken foot or something?
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:45 pm

Lakers beating Memphis by 6 with less than a minute to play.  Looks like a surprising win.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Lakers win.  Magic number now 2.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:13 pm

steve3344 wrote:Lakers win.  Magic number now 2.

Thought it would be 3.

If it's two, I am overjoyed.

watching Hawks at Crooklyn.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:36 pm

dboss wrote:

Thought it would be 3.

If it's two,  I am overjoyed.

dboss
Bob said it was 3 on Friday. Just going on that. I didn't check. He's usually infallible. Let's hope he was right.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm

One more Nets loss would give them 60, that would guarantee no worse than a tie for worst record. LA and PHX are currently 22-55, so one win each for them will give them a 23-59 record at best (worst?) thus clinching it for the Nets i.e., us. Magic number is 2!
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:58 pm

dboss wrote:

Thought it would be 3.

If it's two,  I am overjoyed.

dboss
Boy the Hawks suck. They're going to lose this one. Down 15 with 9 minutes to go.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Bkln. was 9-49 their first 58 games. With today's win they are now 9-10 since then. 

They're not making this easy for us. Still, if we beat them in Boston on April 10th and they split with the Bulls, the Lakers can lose all their remaining games. Even if the Nets also beat Orlando and Philly on the road next week.

Still looks like a virtual lock to be in the #1 spot on Lottery Day.  

And if the Lakers win just one more we can seal the deal ourselves.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Brooklyn is now 18-59.  The Lakers are 22-55.  Both teams have 5 games left.  If the Lakers only lose 3 more games and win the other 2 that would give them 58 losses and Brooklyn could win out and still be last.  Or, if Brooklyn loses 2 of their remaining 5 that will give them 61 losses and the Lakers, with 55 losses and only 5 games, cannot catch them.

That makes the Magic Number 2.  

Any combination of Laker wins and/or Net losses totalling 2 is good for a lock on last.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:52 am

The Bulls, who have two games left with the Nets, will be playing hard 'til the end of the season as they could finish as high as fifth or miss the playoffs entirely. That's major.

And I'm no longer calling them the Nyets while they keep winning pretty often, now 9-10 their last 19 games. They've become rather competitive lately, those little bastards from Brooklyn. Still won't keep them from having the worst record in the league in a couple of weeks tho.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:02 am

Surprised no one is mentioning the Suns. They have more losses than LA.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:48 am

dboss wrote:Surprised no one is mentioning the Suns.  They have more losses than LA.

dboss,

Forgot about them when the Lakers won a few and the Suns kept losing.  

The Suns are 22-56.  They have one more loss than the Lakers but they have also played one more game.  They have 4 to go.  2 more losses would give them 58, still one less than the Nets have already.  So the Magic Number is still 2.  It's any combination of Net losses and Laker wins AND any combination of Net losses and Sun wins totaling 2.

Thanks for pointing this out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:05 am

REST OF THE SEASON

NETS
@ Philly.  No Okafor, no Embiid, no Covington.
@ Orlando.
Chicago
@ Boston
@ Chicago

LAKERS
@ San Antonio
Sacramento
Minnesota
New Orleans
@ GSW

SUNS
GSW
OKC
Dallas
@Sacto

I don't see Phoenix winning any more games.  Maybe @Sacto but I don't have much confidence in a team trying to tank beating another team on the road in that team's last home game.  I don't see Phoenix helping us at all with a win.

Laker have opportunities for wins with Sacto and Minny in the Staples Center.  I will say one thing for the Lakers:  yes, they, as a franchise, are tanking by pulling Mozgov and Deng but the young'uns are fighting for all they are worth.  They are trying to win and have pulled off a couple of improbable ones including the one over the 42-35 Memphis Grizzlies last night.

Nets losses could be Boston in Boston and Chicago in Chicago for their last home game.  The Bulls are in 7th place but there is only 1 game in the loss column between them @ 7th and Miami and Indy @ 8th and 9th and only 1 game in the loss column between them and the imploding Atlanta Hawks in 6th (the Hawks are 2-8 in their last 10).  There's motivation for the Bulls to fight for every victory, to either avoid facing Boston or Cleveland in the first round or missing the playoffs altogether.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next