fierce
dboss
bobheckler
9 posters

Go down

Who's Left? Empty Who's Left?

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:50 am

http://www.nba.com/freeagents/2017

Not completely up to date, I think, but some ideas.  My list, below, is MY list and is not the complete one from the website.

In alphabetical order, not necessarily in order of preference:

1.  Lavoy Allen
2.  Brandon Bass
3.  Gerald Green
4.  Jordan Hill
5.  Kris Humphries
6.  David Lee
7.  Tiago Splitter

Gerald Green I would take back as a veteran locker room presence.  That's about it. Tatum replaces him as the designated shooter.

I'm a big fan of Bass and Hump's.  Not exactly what we need but they are both solid as granite and veterans on a young team. They will set solid picks. They will hit mid-range jumpers. They will play defense. Not rim protectors but pretty much everything else.

I've always liked Jordan Hill, going back to when he was in purple-and-gold.  He's only 29.  Waived by the Wolves, who are loaded with front court talent.

I don't know what kind of role David Lee is hoping for but if he is willing to play for the vet minimum and much smaller minutes I'd love him back.  He played very well in San Antonio.

Splitter is a solid back up center.  It was when he became a starter that he struggled. I'd be fine with a 3rd center and move Theis to PF. Theis should not be playing NBA center. With Splitter he wouldn't have to.

Lavoy Allen is beef.  That's about it.  He works hard, and all that, but he's 6'9", 260#.  Not great at anything except putting a body on someone and we happen to need that right now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Who's Left? Empty Re: Who's Left?

Post by dboss Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:14 am

Hump or Bass if we are looking for more frontcourt depth.

My choice however would be Gerald Green.  All 3 have been Celtics but Green can stretch the defense and anyone of them brings a veteran presence to a very young and untested rotation.

Danny has surprisingly embraced a second youth movement.  

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 am

There's no rush.

Celts can start the season with 14 players.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:25 am

I also liked what Gerald Green brought to the team last season, but he is far from the answer (IMO) to what we need to add to the roster that we currently have.

He plays pretty poor defense and certainly is not able to play either the center or power forward spots. Not that there may not be some other guys available that could be added to bobh's list, but I would have to place Green at the very bottom of his list.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:33 am

I still like Gerald Green. After that, Spencer Hawes or Thomas Robinson. Lee would be okay, if he accepted a limited role
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm

red16russ11 wrote:I still like Gerald Green.  After that, Spencer Hawes or Thomas Robinson.  Lee would be okay, if he accepted a limited role

Russ,

Hawes makes Kelly Olynyk look like the 2nd coming of Dave Cowens. Spreadable butter looks at Spencer Hawes and takes notes on how to be softer and sour cream feels good about itself. He is neither a good man-to-man defender nor, as Kelly had become, a decent positional defender. His man bun is no better, but at least he can grow a real beard.

Cheap and undemanding are his two strongest assets.

Yuck.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:30 pm

bobheckler wrote:
red16russ11 wrote:I still like Gerald Green.  After that, Spencer Hawes or Thomas Robinson.  Lee would be okay, if he accepted a limited role

Russ,

Hawes makes Kelly Olynyk look like the 2nd coming of Dave Cowens.  Spreadable butter looks at Spencer Hawes and takes notes on how to be softer and sour cream feels good about itself.  He is neither a good man-to-man defender nor, as Kelly had become, a decent positional defender.  His man bun is no better, but at least he can grow a real beard.

Cheap and undemanding are his two strongest assets.

Yuck.

bob

LOL - point taken!
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Keith Pompey‏Verified account
@PompeyOnSixers
Follow
More
Brown said  Sixers will check with the rest of the league to see what's out there for Jahlil Okafor
11:03 AM - 20 Sep 2017

bob
MY NOTE:  Defensively-weak and not a good rebounder, but very talented offensively BUT ONLY in the paint.  He took exactly 0 3pt fgas last year.  40.8% of his fgas were <3' and 37.4% from 3-10'.  That's 78.2% of all his fgas from inside 10'.  Not "frito line and in", the frito line is 15', these stats are from 10' in (the semi-circle that runs from the frito line out to the top of the key has a 6' raidius.  So, if you take that semi-circle and draw it so it is a complete circle the bottom of that circle would be 9' away from the rim.  Almost 10').  Not exactly "Space and Pace" is it?  Is he a dinosaur, like Dwight Howard?

What should Danny do?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
about 5 minutes ago
THE 2015 DRAFT No. 2 pick: Traded to unload bad contracts. No. 3 pick: Openly available. No. 16 pick: COMPLETELY OFF THE TABLE.

bob
MY NOTE: #2 pick, D'Angelo Russell. #3 pick, Jahlil Okafor. #16 pick, Terry Rozier, mentioned in numerous trade rumors both last year and this summer.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Bob, I think Brandon Bass went overseas, signed a one year contract either China or ? but I do 'believe he is gone Have not heard a word about Green.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Bob, I think Brandon Bass went overseas, signed a one year contract either China or ? but I do 'believe he is gone  Have not heard a word about Green.

Rosalie,
You are right, Bass is gone. The list just got even shorter.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 pm

bobheckler wrote:Keith Pompey‏Verified account
@PompeyOnSixers
Follow
More
Brown said  Sixers will check with the rest of the league to see what's out there for Jahlil Okafor
11:03 AM - 20 Sep 2017

bob
MY NOTE:  Defensively-weak and not a good rebounder, but very talented offensively BUT ONLY in the paint.  He took exactly 0 3pt fgas last year.  40.8% of his fgas were <3' and 37.4% from 3-10'.  That's 78.2% of all his fgas from inside 10'.  Not "frito line and in", the frito line is 15', these stats are from 10' in (the semi-circle that runs from the frito line out to the top of the key has a 6' raidius.  So, if you take that semi-circle and draw it so it is a complete circle the bottom of that circle would be 9' away from the rim.  Almost 10').  Not exactly "Space and Pace" is it?  Is he a dinosaur, like Dwight Howard?

What should Danny do?

Bob,

I would go after Okafor in a heartbeat. Offensive weapon capable of getting it done down where we need it. We'll have just enough outside shooters, but we do need size down low. Defensively he's not nearly as bad as advertised, and can board and defend better than bigs we have now. Dinosaur or not, there's a place in the game for this type of player right now and there will be right up until the NBA places a height cap at 6'.

Only one problem. What do we have to give in return? All we have to trade are wings that we haven't even seen play together yet. We have no forwards they would want and I'm not sure what we can package along with some draft picks that may not be that attractive anyway.

Bad timing since we need quality bigs. Pass out of necessity.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Okafor? Interesting name especially this late in the off season. He would have to be traded for and not sure that Ainge wants to give up his wing players to take a gamble on a non rebounding/defending center. He would also have to give up a draft pick of some sort for him as well.

His offensive limitation relating to space is not really something that I would be too worried about as Stevens would be smart enough to get this guy included in an offense to utilize his skills and not expose his weaknesses just as he has done for many other players since arriving in Boston. I doubt that Baynes is going to be lofting up many three pointers this year and the Cs are seemingly glad to have him on board to whack people, get boards, score a few points and play some defense.

I wonder if a guy (Okafor?) can become a better rebounder and or defender if he is told something like, "don't rebound, don't play D, don't play"? He is tall enough, wide enough and mobile enough to rebound. Perhaps he has just not yet been told that "if you want to get minutes, you've got to rebound and defend for us". He has already proven that he is a good enough athlete to score in the NBA, so he has to be a good enough athlete to rebound and defend at a reasonable level if he so desired.

He must be smart enough to know that his style of play is quickly leaving the NBA (after all, he went to Duke for at least one year-don't know his grades, but at least he qualified to get in), so perhaps he would be accepting of adding something new to his game so that he does not end up heading overseas in two years for faaaar less money than he is making/or will make in the NBA.

Even if he does not, however, rebound, play great defense and shoot threes, he is still better than some of the guys on Bob's original list and also better than Hawes which is not a slap at Bob, but rather relates to the little talent that is left on the open market that could possibly make difference. Let me partially take back that statement.....it is kind of a slap at Hawes, but who cares.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:19 am

answer......

nothing much!!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:39 am

Grades??? Class???? What is that?? Those kids go to these schools just to be able to be drafted. Look at Simmons, he went to LSU, they went no where, he quit school right after basketball season. Why bother? Just because it is a rule in the NBA? No way Okafur went to classes.

Hey, Jabbar had a job when he went to school, he had to drive around in his fancy car and see if all the lights in the athletic buildings were on and the sprinklers! This has been going on for yearsl
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 am

Okafor as a 15th man on an NBA roster means you have a pretty damn good roster.

I'd take him, but no way Colangelo deals with Ainge again...............I think he's waiting for training camp cuts
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

For how much??  Young player still looking for big buckus won't get it here
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Something to light up Cowens' life, Kendrick Perkins is looking for an NBA comeback.  He is currently in Cleveland, helping with a LeBron kid's camp.

CLEVELAND -- Kendrick Perkins joined the Cavaliers at LeBron James' minicamp in Santa Barbara, Calif., and will come to training camp next week, sources told cleveland.com.

But Perkins, a 6-10 center who is popular in the Cavs' locker room, is not likely to make the team. Cleveland already has 15 players under guaranteed contract and is $18.6 million over the league's luxury tax line - which means it would cost the team millions to cut someone else and give a roster spot to Perkins.

bob
MY NOTE:  Go to training camp, learn their playbook, then sign with Danny.  I know, I know,
I'm getting a bit desperate for another big...What I'd really like is a long, more than a big.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 pm

I'd go for Jordan Hill and Gerald Green.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down