John John has left us - Page 2 Empty Re: John John has left us

Post by worcester Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Verklempt. Quite verklempt.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:43 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:If you behave yourself, WE may let you in.  

Just this week I made a statement regarding Havlicek and Hayward. NY Celt told me I had a high opinion of Hayward.  

I watched Halicek from college on, was thrilled when the Browns cut him!! As I am sure Red was.  I drove my friends nuts with the talk of John, but, I just loved watching him run and run and score and run.  When he hit that running leaner shot against  Phoenix  in 1976, I was in the second balcony, right in front of that basket.  I had stood in line for hours and hours waiting to get those tickets. That was a monumental year for me, I had brought home my son from the hospital after spending 75 days there, born 3 months too soon, weighing 1lb 10 oz.   I was determined to see that game, and what a memory it was.  I will never forget it and Havlicek was a hero again .

This world is a lesser place today with him gone and I am sad that this generation will not get to know him. What he could have told them about Celtic pride.  So Danny should box up a stack of videos of John, hand them to Gordon and say, "you are next".  He will never take his place, but in my opinion, he could be damn good

Rosalie,

If the price of admission is "behaving myself" then I'm hardly a lock

"Go to Heaven for the weather and Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:40 pm

Well, my darling Mother warned me time and again, you put those damn Celtic games ahead of Easter dinner???? You know where you will go!!!! Ha ha...Yup Mom, no Easter dinner, a coke and some pop corn, third row balcony across from the Celtics bench. What a show we saw. Back them it was already for the Eastern Division title, boy how the NBA has stretched this playoff series on and on. Those were great times, and Havlicek, Russell, and the Jones boys along with Siegfried would get us thru.

I sometimes refer to the last year of Russell and Jones, when we came in fourth place and ended up winning the title. No way Russ was going out without a ring. The Memories that come when we lose one of our own are unreal. I remember plays, players, stuff you would forget normally, Ask me what I did yesterday, and I will shrug.

This is how I felt last night, sitting remembering. He wa special, I will not forget him ever.
Dboss....you captured it perfectly.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:12 pm

When I learned about John's passing this morning, tears came into my eyes because for me a little part of my former youth died last night as well.

John was my basketball hero, and as a little kid I wore #17 in pee wee and junior basketball programs when wearing an athletes number was not fashionable.

He was a machine on the court, a player in constant motion and boundless energy and never knew what the word selfish meant.

I can remember first seeing him at Boston Garden early 1964 and you just knew that greatness was just a basketball career away.

God Bless John and thanks for the great memories at Boston Garden and Madison Square Garden...........They just do not make players like that any more! Peace be with you........................... HONDO #17!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 pm

112288 wrote:When I learned about John's passing this morning, tears came into my eyes because for me a little part of my former youth died last night as well.

John was my basketball hero, and as a little kid I wore #17 in pee wee and junior basketball programs when wearing an athletes number was not fashionable.

He was a machine on the court, a player in constant motion and boundless energy and never knew what the word selfish meant.

I can remember first seeing him at Boston Garden early 1964 and you just knew that greatness was just a basketball career away.

God Bless John and thanks for the great memories at Boston Garden and Madison Square Garden...........They just do not make players like that any more!  Peace be with you........................... HONDO #17!

Perfectly said Rich.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:29 am

Very sad to hear of Havlicek's death. Like Rosalie, I was a fan of John's when he was at Ohio State. I was thrilled when the Celtics drafted him. And I had the great fortune to be able to see him live playing with Dave Cowens in 1972. To me, Havlicek and Bill Russell epitomized what it meant to be a Boston Celtic.
Now as far I know, we only have Russell and Tommy left. For that reason I cherish them both.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 am

Cooz survives too. KC and Nellie.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:07 pm

And how can anyone on this site forget about Sam Jones????
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:08 pm

I stupidly thought, "Well, Sam is dead." But that was our Sam, not Sam Jones!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:17 pm

It is odd, when “our” Sam was alive we had many talks about Sam Jones. He had told me that his health was not good at all, then I think it was last year that someone here, either Gyso or NYCelt, informed us that Sam’s wife Gladys had passed. I was aware that Havlicek had a heart issue, but never heard about the Parkinson’s. The last time we saw him here in Boston was when they had the decades celebration, ‘66, ‘76, ‘86’ and others. That is why I was so shocked.

Tommy Heinsohn was on Comcast, he phoned in, and said that he had received a call two or so weeks ago that Havlicek was failing fast. He did say he was still shocked that it happened so fast.

I just can’t seem to get over this one. He and Russell will forever be the two greats. I know Cousy was great, as were Sam and KC, Ramsey, also, but those two will forever be embedded in my heart.
Life is cruel.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri May 24, 2019 12:15 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri May 24, 2019 12:36 am

The real life ALL AMERICAN BOY

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri May 24, 2019 12:38 am

I watched Russell climbing those stairs to the church I shivered. So fragile, Cousy walking with a cane. It was great seeing these guys making the extra effort to pay their respects to a guy everyone loved.

Rest In Peace Hondo, you will not be forgotten
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

It sucks I have a Hondo memorandum on my FB page, a lot of my childhood friends chimed in all saying what a great transformational player he was. Sad thing about getting old and when our idols pass, we remember how great and relentless they were, we think of them as immortal that they’ll live forever. Thanks for the memories John, they will be etched in stone in my memory forever as the best of times watching those games and falling in love with the game....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/05/boston-celtics-legends-gather-in-boston-for-john-havlicek-memorial-service.html
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2