Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Official - Tony Allen to Memphis Empty Official - Tony Allen to Memphis

Post by babyskyhook Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:10 pm

Reports: Tony Allen heading to Memphis

By Chris Forsberg
ESPNBoston.com
Archive

In their quest to keep the core intact, the Boston Celtics appeared on the verge of losing a key bench player Sunday.

According to multiple reports, guard Tony Allen will sign with the Memphis Grizzlies. The Memphis Commercial Appeal first reported the deal.

Just days after rumors swirled that Allen would re-sign in Boston, Yahoo.com reported he will ink a three-year, $10 million guaranteed deal.

Allen spent his first six NBA seasons with Boston. While plagued with injuries, he emerged in recent seasons as a lockdown defender off the bench, particularly this past season. Allen's playoff defense against LeBron James and Kobe Bryant helped Boston come within six minutes of a world title.

The Celtics now have little depth on the wing, and would presumably be in the market for a backup shooting guard or small forward, but don't have cap space to offer much more than the veteran minimum. The team could trade Rasheed Wallace's contract for an established veteran if Wallace is serious about retiring, and a trade partner needed cap relief.

The Celtics boasted Bird Rights to Allen, allowing them to go over the cap to sign him, but apparently weren't interested in committing to that length of a deal, or were scared off by luxury-tax ramifications of an increased salary.

Allen made $2.5 million last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5372270
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Official - Tony Allen to Memphis Empty Re: Official - Tony Allen to Memphis

Post by babyskyhook Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I've got to say this makes no sense to me.

Allen has been a key piece, and excellent defensively, for a team that is thin at the wings already behind Ray and Pierce.

If he was getting $6m/ yr, I would see them not matching.

But why would Cs management let him walk for $3m/ yr ?

Unless they have something in the works for a backup 2/3 via Wallace's semi-expiring contract ?
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:14 pm

http://www.nba.com/news/features/aldridge.2010.freeagency/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

- The Boston Celtics had had a pretty solid summer retaining some of their key components from last season's Finals team, but they lost one of their top reserves Sunday when guard Tony Allen agreed to a three-year, $9.7 million offer from the Memphis Grizzlies, a league source confirmed.

Allen was a key during Boston's run to the Finals, guarding the likes of LeBron James, Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant with next to no help during several stretches of play, and providing unexpected offense on occasion for the Celtics. Allen and Glen Davis were instrumental in Boston's Game 4 win over the Lakers in the Finals that tied the series at two games apiece. He shot 51 percent from the floor for Boston, averaging 6.7 points per game, and had shown increased maturity and consistency this season.

The Celtics wanted to re-sign Allen, but were unwilling to give him a third guaranteed year. The most Boston offered was a two-year, $5.2 million offer, with a partial guaranteed third year. At that point the 28-year-old Allen decided to entertain the Memphis offer, which has no partial guarantees or team options. The Grizzlies like the toughness that Allen is expected to bring to Memphis as a reserve behind guard O.J. Mayo and small forward Rudy Gay, who agreed to an $82 million deal earlier this month.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:16 pm

If he really wanted the third year guaranteed why not give it to him? scratch

With T.A gone I really hope Danny has something up his sleeves to fill this new void on the bench.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:29 pm

We have seen how that "extra year" has worked out in the James Posey signing. Guy is a total bust.

I am not in a position to question DA at this point. If he is letting Tony walk, he must have a plan in place.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Ainge must have something up his sleeve, as KG and Ray both come off the books in what would have been Allen's 3rd year.

Makes even less sense to not offer him the 3rd year unless something else is happening.

Because as opposed to Posey (which I agree, his deal was too rich and too long for a guy his age), Tony Allen will be in the prime of his career over the next 3 years, and the money was reasonable.

I'm trying to think of what swingman might be avail for Sheed's contract from a team looking to shed salaries.

Hmmmm......
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:11 pm

There is no way Tony Allen was going to hold Danny up for that third year. You know, TA was good the last third of the year. Let's think back to how much time he has spent on the bench, unable to play because of this injury or that.
Danny gave him a good shot on this team. Somehow, I feel, there is more to this story than meets the eye. He has something else planned. Giving him three guaranteed years would have been a mistake. As the CelticsBlog has written, Danny has another plan in place for the next three years.

I am more than willing to trust Danny on this one. We all ate him alive with Posey and even Leon. Was he so wrong????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:14 pm

Just thinking out loud:

Knowing Ainge's long-held belief that the '80's Cs held onto their core for too long and that he has always been thinking about a fast rebuild, he's clearly looking at summer 2012.

After July 1, 2012, Cs will only have approx $26m in guaranteed contracts (Rondo + Pierce). Add in Avery Bradley (team option) and a 1st rd pick, and they'd be about $29m.

If they renounced KG and Ray and all their FAs, with cap holds the Cs would be at about $33M.

Even if the cap doesn't increase much the next two years, Cs should have
about $25m-$27m to spend.

That would certainly allow them to land a max free agent and another very, very good free agent. Or three very good FAs.

Dwight Howard, CP3 and DWill lead the names for that year's free agents. I don't know who else will be avail that year, but there will certainly be options.

If the team performs well in the 2011-12 season, it gives the Cs the flexibility to bring back KG, Ray and Jerm on 1 yr deals to make one more run at it, and if those guys took sufficient cuts, Cs might get under the cap and add 1 FA.

If Ainge and Wyc feel it's time to move on, they could renounce those guys and go for a total rebuild that summer.

It will come down to how the team has done and who is available and potentially willing to come, but the Cs have given themselves a lot of options for two years from now.

I don't know if that extra $2.5-$3m for TA for the third year would have been a make or break salary for that summer, but clearly management thought it was important enough that they're letting him walk over it.

That fact, coupled with Ray's and Jerm's deals being for two years each, indicate to me that 2012 is the target to have a lot of cap flexibility.

If everyone else (or most everyone) who is signed is on a two year deal (and I assume that they will be), you'll know that is indeed the plan.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:41 pm

This could place the team in the position of having a schizophrenic team: one batch of seasoned veterans trying to blend with a bunch of young guys who will hopefull develop quickly. The more Bird rights that fly out the window, the more emphasis there could be on developing guys like Bradley, Harangody, possibly Janning and (I hope) Sims. Which is preferable...a rookie with promise or a veteran who isn't worth more than the minimum? Not an easy choice.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:26 pm

This not wanting to give TA a third year remind me of the Posey situation a few years ago which could also not be explained because they did not bring someone in to replace is talents.

Sometimes I just don't understand Ainge unless..................

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:30 am

babyskyhook wrote:

Just thinking out loud:

Knowing Ainge's long-held belief that the '80's Cs held onto their core for too long and that he has always been thinking about a fast rebuild, he's clearly looking at summer 2012.

After July 1, 2012, Cs will only have approx $26m in guaranteed contracts (Rondo + Pierce). Add in Avery Bradley (team option) and a 1st rd pick, and they'd be about $29m.

If they renounced KG and Ray and all their FAs, with cap holds the Cs would be at about $33M.

Even if the cap doesn't increase much the next two years, Cs should have
about $25m-$27m to spend.

That would certainly allow them to land a max free agent and another very, very good free agent. Or three very good FAs.

Dwight Howard, CP3 and DWill lead the names for that year's free agents. I don't know who else will be avail that year, but there will certainly be options.

If the team performs well in the 2011-12 season, it gives the Cs the flexibility to bring back KG, Ray and Jerm on 1 yr deals to make one more run at it, and if those guys took sufficient cuts, Cs might get under the cap and add 1 FA.

If Ainge and Wyc feel it's time to move on, they could renounce those guys and go for a total rebuild that summer.

It will come down to how the team has done and who is available and potentially willing to come, but the Cs have given themselves a lot of options for two years from now.

I don't know if that extra $2.5-$3m for TA for the third year would have been a make or break salary for that summer, but clearly management thought it was important enough that they're letting him walk over it.

That fact, coupled with Ray's and Jerm's deals being for two years each, indicate to me that 2012 is the target to have a lot of cap flexibility.

If everyone else (or most everyone) who is signed is on a two year deal (and I assume that they will be), you'll know that is indeed the plan.

BSH,

Under the new Labor Agreement that will hopefully be worked out, all the numbers that the NBA has used and all of the current provisions could be a thing of the past. (Mid-Level Exception, Bi-Annual Exception, Salary Cap Numbers.) I wouldn't even worry about looking at numbers in 2012 because the meaning of them could change dramatically in a year or two.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 am

One thing I've learned about Danny is that he is one helluva poker player. I don't understand this, I liked Tony Allen, but I'm not quite ready to drop the piano on Danny for this yet.

Suppose he does a sign-and-trade with Rasheed's contract for Barnes? All will be forgotten.

Still, giving up a player with Bird Rights is giving up something of value.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 am

bob
Guess he figures Harangody can back up Pierce and Bradley can do the same for Ray,hope these kids can play and add something.TA for all his defense which I loved was still trick or treat at best offensively,against Lakers it was obvious this team needs alittle more shooters,something TA and Quis were very lacking. cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:21 am

The only thing Harangody can back up is a toilet, and then only if he's got the runs (Montazoma's Revence)-LOL-MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:The only thing Harangody can back up is a toilet, and then only if he's got the runs (Montazoma's Revence)-LOL-MD

MD,

Is this your official take on Harangody? Before you have even seen him go up against NBA teams in preseason?

If so, what do you base your negativity on?

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:32 am

MDCelticsFan wrote:The only thing Harangody can back up is a toilet, and then only if he's got the runs (Montazoma's Revence)-LOL-MD

MD,

I'm not sure if you're just crackin' a joke here, but Harangody looked as good as anybody in summer league and I mean as good as anybody on any team.

And I've had Montezuma's Revenge and I didn't laugh one bit. Ouch.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am

Maybe Harangody should actually be given...you know...a chance before we make premature predictions as ill-advised as the ones about how the Celtics would be a total flop in the recent playoffs.

Some people have said that Harangody could prove to be a better-rebounding, faster, better-finishing, and vastly better-shooting version of Scal. (I happen to be one of those people.) I'm not quite certain why that's such a faulty premise for giving him a chance. And I already saw him exhibiting very good court sense, even in what amounted to little more than advanced pickup games with unfamiliar teammates.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

I like Harangody to make this team; he might be the only one on the summer roster to do so. He's not part of the solution to replace Tony Allen though. He is clearly a 4 and will be in the mix with KG and Davis. So far in the summer league games or in his college career he hasn't looked like he can defend the quick 3's in the NBA. If he couldn't do it at the NCAA level it's not likely in the pro's. That's OK as long as we're not asking him to.

Danny's pretty active right now and with all the names and bodies flying around I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a decent vet wing to throw into the mix. Bradley may get a shot to contribute some minutes at the 2 and we're still not out of the game signing Nate or someone else for depth behind Rondo.

Tony could defend and get to the rim, but could be inconsistent too. Ainge must feel he can do better, and after where this club has been the past three seasons thanks to him I trust he's got something cooking.

We should also consider that the roster mix doesn't have to follow past formulas. Maybe instead of someone like Tony who could defend 2's and 3's we end up with two new players who can defend well at a single position.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm

NYCelt,

I would prefer separate bench players at the 2 and 3. The problem is that getting one of them will be difficult enough (with the resources at hand); and two of them would seem a stretch. I have a funny feeling the Celtics bench could wind up being undersized at the 2.

As for Harangody, he probably is more equipped to be a 4 than a 3, which will probably be a limitation because of (guess what) being undersized. I think a lot of his future depends on how well he can learn and adapt. As I said in another thread, I can already mention a number of ways in which he should develop into an upgrade of Scal while also retaining the good things about Scal. I have to believe there's a place for him on this team.

I frequently talk about Red's practice of selecting players for their strengths without requiring that they have all the tools. Combining role players to create an effective collaboration was his strength. There's no question about what Luke's most desirable strength is—freeing himself for perimeter shooting. But he can also head to the hoop and rebound effectively (on both boards), so I believe he's bringing a lot to the party.

We'll see starting in the fall.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob
Guess he figures Harangody can back up Pierce and Bradley can do the same for Ray,hope these kids can play and add something.TA for all his defense which I loved was still trick or treat at best offensively,against Lakers it was obvious this team needs alittle more shooters,something TA and Quis were very lacking. cow

cow,

What this team needed against the Lakers was a 280# center that could keep their 280# center off the boards (Bynum had 6 rebounds, 4 of them offensive, in just 19 minutes) and less ME-ball by Pierce and Rondo in the last 6 minutes (a couple of made free throws by Rondo wouldn't have hurt either). That isn't about the kids, it's about the play of the vets and the absence of one of them.

Daniels is still unsigned. He was in Doc's doghouse for the last month or so. Wish I knew why. He'd fix the 'backup 3' problem. Bradley backing up Ray? Hmm, not sure I like counting on a rookie. Considering we're going to be playing for a championship, that's a helluva lot of pressure.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:42 pm

In touting Bradley to back up Ray at the 3, doesn't anyone else care that Bradley's 6' 2"? Are we going to sign Eddie House and petition the league to allow two players from the group of Bradley, House and Robinson to stand on one another's shoulders when they're defending?

I used to have to take a stepstool on some of my high school dates. Maybe those guys can do the same during games.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Sam wrote:In touting Bradley to back up Ray at the 3, doesn't anyone else care that Bradley's 6' 2"? Are we going to sign Eddie House and petition the league to allow two players from the group of Bradley, House and Robinson to stand on one another's shoulders when they're defending?

I used to have to take a stepstool on some of my high school dates. Maybe those guys can do the same during games.

Sam

sam,

He'd be backing up Ray at the 2, not 3. Bradley is 6'3" in shoes (that's how they're standardly measured now) and has a 6'7+" wingspan.

I had a girlfriend that was almost 5'10", blond, green eyes and Scandinavian descent. I went with her to Borneo, where the tall men are maybe 5'5"/5'6" and Equator-dark. She was a definite gawker-block. She stopped traffic alright, but not because they thought she was beautiful (I'm sure their tastes ran differently than mine) but because they thought she was from another planet.

bob

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:41 pm

Sam wrote:In touting Bradley to back up Ray at the 3, doesn't anyone else care that Bradley's 6' 2"? Are we going to sign Eddie House and petition the league to allow two players from the group of Bradley, House and Robinson to stand on one another's shoulders when they're defending?

Sam

Sam,

Maybe you're onto something; we could put House (if re-acquired) on Davis' shoulders and have outside shooting with the ability to board, Bradley on Perk's shoulders when Perk returns and have one heck of an inside game at both ends...

Does Danny know about this?

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm

If we could have put Scal's head on Tony's shoulders, Danny never would have let him get away.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Sam wrote:If we could have put Scal's head on Tony's shoulders, Danny never would have let him get away.

sam,

and when he died he could leave his body (and head) to the Smithsonian.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next