Sam
RosalieTCeltics
mrkleen09
Brandon$$
babyskyhook
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Official - Tony Allen to Memphis - Page 2 Empty Re: Official - Tony Allen to Memphis

Post by Sam Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:25 pm

The Smithsonian would reject his knees.
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Official - Tony Allen to Memphis - Page 2 Empty Re: Official - Tony Allen to Memphis

Post by MDCelticsFan Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:19 pm

And The Smith Brothers wouldn't give either one of them any cough drops! (LOL)

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:29 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:bob
Guess he figures Harangody can back up Pierce and Bradley can do the same for Ray,hope these kids can play and add something.TA for all his defense which I loved was still trick or treat at best offensively,against Lakers it was obvious this team needs alittle more shooters,something TA and Quis were very lacking. cow

cow,

What this team needed against the Lakers was a 280# center that could keep their 280# center off the boards (Bynum had 6 rebounds, 4 of them offensive, in just 19 minutes) and less ME-ball by Pierce and Rondo in the last 6 minutes (a couple of made free throws by Rondo wouldn't have hurt either). That isn't about the kids, it's about the play of the vets and the absence of one of them.

Daniels is still unsigned. He was in Doc's doghouse for the last month or so. Wish I knew why. He'd fix the 'backup 3' problem. Bradley backing up Ray? Hmm, not sure I like counting on a rookie. Considering we're going to be playing for a championship, that's a helluva lot of pressure.

bob

really,like who?nah wouldn't make a difference

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Official - Tony Allen to Memphis - Page 2 Tony_a10

Tony Allen’s desire to remain with the Celtics was so strong this summer, even his mother was surprised last night by news that the guard is about to leave after six seasons for the Memphis Grizzlies.

“It’s very unfortunate, him leaving, because I thought he would stay,” said Ella Allen. “I am very surprised, but my son makes his own decisions, and I support him 100 percent.

“He is definitely going to miss the Celtics - it’s a great team with great people,” she said. “I know he is going to miss his friends. He really liked those guys. I’m sure he hates to leave.”

“He had a great playoff year,” said Ella Allen. “He had a great season.”

The Celtics truly will miss him. His postseason play reached such an elevated state that coach Doc Rivers referred to Allen as the Celtics’ best perimeter defender. The Celtics, who have targeted Phoenix’ Leandro Barbosa as a possible way to trade the retiring Rasheed Wallace’s contract spot, may have already decided on another direction.

But Allen’s tears in the wake of the Celtics’ Game 7 loss to the Lakers were real. He wanted to stay with a team that had stood by him through hard times, from injuries to legal troubles back in his hometown of Chicago.

“They raised him,” said Ella Allen. “But sometimes change is good. It’s a business, and he just had to do what he had to do.

“I’m just very happy for him, and I can’t wait to see him,” she said. “It’s just too bad that he has to leave Boston.”

http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1267290&srvc=sports&position=2

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:56 am

tjmakz wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Just thinking out loud:

Knowing Ainge's long-held belief that the '80's Cs held onto their core for too long and that he has always been thinking about a fast rebuild, he's clearly looking at summer 2012.

After July 1, 2012, Cs will only have approx $26m in guaranteed contracts (Rondo + Pierce). Add in Avery Bradley (team option) and a 1st rd pick, and they'd be about $29m.

If they renounced KG and Ray and all their FAs, with cap holds the Cs would be at about $33M.

Even if the cap doesn't increase much the next two years, Cs should have
about $25m-$27m to spend.

That would certainly allow them to land a max free agent and another very, very good free agent. Or three very good FAs.

Dwight Howard, CP3 and DWill lead the names for that year's free agents. I don't know who else will be avail that year, but there will certainly be options.

If the team performs well in the 2011-12 season, it gives the Cs the flexibility to bring back KG, Ray and Jerm on 1 yr deals to make one more run at it, and if those guys took sufficient cuts, Cs might get under the cap and add 1 FA.

If Ainge and Wyc feel it's time to move on, they could renounce those guys and go for a total rebuild that summer.

It will come down to how the team has done and who is available and potentially willing to come, but the Cs have given themselves a lot of options for two years from now.

I don't know if that extra $2.5-$3m for TA for the third year would have been a make or break salary for that summer, but clearly management thought it was important enough that they're letting him walk over it.

That fact, coupled with Ray's and Jerm's deals being for two years each, indicate to me that 2012 is the target to have a lot of cap flexibility.

If everyone else (or most everyone) who is signed is on a two year deal (and I assume that they will be), you'll know that is indeed the plan.

BSH,

Under the new Labor Agreement that will hopefully be worked out, all the numbers that the NBA has used and all of the current provisions could be a thing of the past. (Mid-Level Exception, Bi-Annual Exception, Salary Cap Numbers.) I wouldn't even worry about looking at numbers in 2012 because the meaning of them could change dramatically in a year or two.

TJ-

all the more reason for Cs management to want to have maximum financial flexibility going forward. They're going to make a two year run with the Big Three and see where things stand. The uncertainty surrounding the new CBA is just more incentive for the Cs to want to be abl to quickly change course when KG's deal ends.

That's why everyone except Pierce, Rondo and the rookies are on 2 year deals. And that's the only reason why it makes any sense that they let Allen walk over a 3rd year at $3m. They knew they would be thin on the wings behind Ray and Pierce, but that financial flexibility was important enough to them to let Allen walk. It's almost as if they've said to all Free Agents that they are only doing two year deals or less. Ray, Jerm, Daniels- all two years or less.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 am

bobheckler wrote:One thing I've learned about Danny is that he is one helluva poker player. I don't understand this, I liked Tony Allen, but I'm not quite ready to drop the piano on Danny for this yet.

Suppose he does a sign-and-trade with Rasheed's contract for Barnes? All will be forgotten.

Still, giving up a player with Bird Rights is giving up something of value.

bob

bob-

I agree about the Bird rights. Severely limits their options to re-stock the roster by letting him walk. Don't know if DA likes Brewer's game, but they could have done a s+t with Allen and Brewer and been much better off, as Brewer's 3rd year w/ the BUlls is a team option, and his salary #s are same range as TA.

Maybe DA and Wyc thought TA would agree to a two year deal and were caught off guard when he took his talents to Beale St.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:10 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:bob
Guess he figures Harangody can back up Pierce and Bradley can do the same for Ray,hope these kids can play and add something.TA for all his defense which I loved was still trick or treat at best offensively,against Lakers it was obvious this team needs alittle more shooters,something TA and Quis were very lacking. cow

cow,

What this team needed against the Lakers was a 280# center that could keep their 280# center off the boards (Bynum had 6 rebounds, 4 of them offensive, in just 19 minutes) and less ME-ball by Pierce and Rondo in the last 6 minutes (a couple of made free throws by Rondo wouldn't have hurt either). That isn't about the kids, it's about the play of the vets and the absence of one of them.

Daniels is still unsigned. He was in Doc's doghouse for the last month or so. Wish I knew why. He'd fix the 'backup 3' problem. Bradley backing up Ray? Hmm, not sure I like counting on a rookie. Considering we're going to be playing for a championship, that's a helluva lot of pressure.

bob

really,like who?nah wouldn't make a difference

Razz

Cow- nicely done, sir.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Here's an interview with Tony Allen saying he left Boston because he felt "overshadowed by (future HOFers) Allen and Pierce", who are near the ends of their careers. WTF?! So he went to Memphis to be overshadowed by Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo?!

I've said many times TA's weakest muscle is the 4" one between his ears. This ends all discussions, IMO. Body by Ferrari, brain by Mattel.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/24/newest-grizzly-ready-to-lead/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Another statement by TA that will give alot of people a laugh or two. What in the heck does he think he is going to be doing in Memphis, overtaking Rudy Gay's slot??????

Good luck TA, hope you say off the injury list for at least two months.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Official - Tony Allen to Memphis - Page 2 Empty Tony Allen

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:03 pm

I wonder how many of you have seen the interviews with TA over the past few days since his decision to leave
the Celtics. I don't know if I am just being too critical, or is it me who feels that this guy really believes what he is saying is true. Does he really think he should have been playing ahead of Paul Pierce or Ray Allen???? Does he not believe that the Celtics carried him on this team over these last five years when other teams would have cut him loose a long time ago? This guy is a piece of work. I am waiting for the start of the season. Will the offensive minded Allen all of a sudden appear and think that he is better than Rudy Gay or O J Mayo? Listening to him makes me regret that Danny ever gave him a shot to become the replacement for James Posey. Three good months of basketball at the end of this season all of a sudden makes him think he is a hero.

Maybe I am reading more into this, but there is no "Thanks, Celtics" coming out of him. He has a ring that he really had no real part in getting. He's the one that said he would just wave the towels to be on this team. After five
years, I thought maybe he would be a little thankful.

Okay, that's my b.... for today!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Rosalie,
Take it easy. I think that he was bitter enough to say no nice words about Celtics and smart enough to keep bad words private. Happens when a deal goes sour.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2