NYCelt
dboss
gyso
17 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Roster Reset - Page 6 Empty Re: Roster Reset

Post by dboss Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:18 am

I'm all set on the roster reset, at least for today.

Team USA will be playing PR on Monday the 7th. The USA team is filled with a collection of young and up and coming stars.

Canada by the way has a very interesting team. Brissett is on the team. I must admit that I have only watched him play in maybe 2 or 3 games (all vs Celtics)

I think he is the key rotation guy added. Now we have to see how he plays.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:22 am

dboss wrote:I'm all set on the roster reset, at least for today.

Team USA  will be playing PR on Monday the 7th.  The USA team is filled with a collection of young and up and coming stars.

Canada by the way has a very interesting team.  Brissett is on the team.  I must admit that I have only watched him play in maybe 2 or 3 games (all vs Celtics)

I think he is the key rotation guy added.  Now we have to see how he plays.

DBoss,

I agree.  I haven't seen Oshae Brissett play yet either and, based upon the roster we have today, he is an absolute key player.  He, and Sam, are the depth behind the Js.  One of those two, with Grant gone, will be the first wing off the bench for the Js and that is HUGE.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:28 am

All I can say is don't play Sam on Tuesdays and be sure to play him on Sundays. I don't know whyhe played poorly on Tuesdays and great on Sundays, but his track record last year was dispositive on that argument.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:01 pm

My close out team (5 minutes left in the 4th QTR )

JT, JB, KP, DW and MB

I believe that will be a stronger closeout unit than last season's group.

Last season DW was often glued to the bench in favor of Marcus Smart. AH was mostly used as a floor spacer but rarely as a guy who could go into the post and score. Overall it was somewhat of a trick or treat unit.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:43 pm

You've just described a treat and treat unit to my upcoming delight. Everyone on the floor would be a potent scorer. and DW, JT, and JB can all be serious defenders.
worcester
worcester

https://www.hkacup.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:00 pm

Report: Celtics agreed to training camp contract with ex-Duke guard

Nick Goss

Sun, August 13, 2023 at 7:56 AM PDT·1 min read

The Boston Celtics' training camp roster has increased in size.

ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported Saturday that the Celtics and former Duke guard DJ Steward have agreed to a training camp contract.

Steward averaged 13 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game in one season at Duke in 2020-21. He went undrafted in 2021 and played on the Sacramento Kings summer league squad.

Steward has spent the last two seasons in the G League with the Stockton Kings. The 21-year-old guard averaged 12 points and 4.3 assists per game, while shooting 40.5 percent from 3-point range and 85.2 percent at the free throw line for the Stockton Kings last season.

Teams can have three players on two-way contracts. The Celtics currently have two of those players right now -- J.D. Davison and Jay Scrubb, so there's one more two-way deal available for Steward and others players to compete for.

Bob
MY NOTE:  6'2".  Played last year for the Stockton Kings, the Sacramento Kings' G-League team.  So, we're going to have 3 guards on two-ways:  Davison, Scrubb and this kid?  Not one big out of the three?  And Davison and Steward are the same height, so you can't even say you're developing two different sized guards.  Seems like Brad is really depending upon Z and RWill being healthy because behind them we have Ancient Al and The Green Kornet, we don't even have Grant for smallball 5 anymore.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:29 pm

Bob,

You picked up on the fact that he is a short guard, and we really don't need or want another short guard on a 2-way.

He's destined to be released after camp. If he does end in Maine, it won't be on a 2-way.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:38 pm

dboss wrote:My close out team (5 minutes left in the 4th  QTR )

JT, JB, KP, DW and MB

I believe that will be a stronger closeout unit than last season's group.

Last season DW was often glued to the bench in favor of Marcus Smart.  AH was  mostly used as a floor spacer but rarely as a guy who could go into the post and score.  Overall it was somewhat of a trick or treat unit.

I like that group to close out tight games.

I would even consider that as a starting unit.

Word is the starting lineup is AH JT KP DW JB, however. That brings MB AND RWIII off the bench, which is good too.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:34 am

I like those closers as well, dboss.  That should be tough to beat!

NYCelt, I would presume that AH will be the first starter to come off the floor in the interest of preserving him for the long season and implied playoff run and that it would probably happen before the 6 minute mark by bringing in RWIII and MB.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:26 pm

Closeout and starting units can be different.  

With Marcus gone, we do not have a primary backup at PG if you start Malcolm.  I think the Celtics would like MB to return to his role as our 6th man.  

The key decision for CJ will be to decide on going with a 2-big starting lineup or playing with a single big.  I do not think we have the guard and wing depth to play a single big lineup

I would prefer to see the Celtics put a big team on the court.  If you go with the 2 big lineup you will also have great size and athleticism at the 2 and 3 spots as well.

AH and KP can both stretch the floor with their 3 point shooting and there may be times during a game where you want that.  

I actually see the Celtics returning to their very successful 2-big lineup.  If they go in that direction RW and KP may be the best pairing.  

IF you bring AH off the bench you will have a big that can shoot from the perimeter.   I think it would enhance their offense off the bench with both him and MB.

Defensively KP is a good rim/post defender but he is not capable of checking small and quicker players away from the basket.  That is where RW comes into play.    AH is long past his expiration date in having the quickness and stamina to defend all over the court.  

I have zero observations when it comes to KP playing for Boston.  We have not seen how he fits into the offense and the defense.  We can only imagine what it could be.

The Celtics will be rock solid 1-7 so CJ's task will be to figure out who the 8th,9th and 10th guys will be.

It may take a while for the team to come together or they may jump out from the start.  

In any event, this should be a very interesting and exciting time for Celtics fans because Brad has put together a legit big 3 and expectations will be ramped up.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm

dboss wrote:
I actually see the Celtics returning to their very successful 2-big lineup.  If they go in that direction RW and KP may be the best pairing.  

I like that pairing best as well, but so far Brad and Joe have both indicated AH starting vs RWIII. That can certainly change. Pre-season talk is flexible.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:19 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-two-way-guard-jay-100029814.html

Celtics two way guard Jay Scrubb on taking a page from Sam Hauser’s book

Justin Quinn

Tue, August 22, 2023 at 3:00 AM PDT·2 min read

If there is a book to take a page out of in order to maximize his time as a two way player for the Boston Celtics next season, guard Jay Scrubb may look to Celtics forward Sam Hauser to follow in the footsteps of Sam Hauser, Scrubb is looking at spending most of his time with the Maine Celtics, but could also garner some real playing time with the parent club if he can add what Boston needs deep off of the bench when his number is called.

Speaking to Green With Envy’s Adam Taylor, Scrubb described how he hopes to carve out a small role for himself on this team. “It’s literally that mentality — just coming in the same way Sam (Hauser) did,” he explained.

“Being what the team needs coming in and being that knockdown shooter, being that guy that could come in and guard and come in and be that glue piece,” he added.

“It’s sort of that same mindset just coming in and being that added piece, that added boost for the team,” said Scrubb. “That’s the main thing.”

If the Kentucky native can do all he knows he needs to, there will be a real place for him on this team by the end of the season. And perhaps with it, a regular roster slot as well.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I have no idea if Jay Scrubb is going to make the team someday but the Sam Hauser model has shown value.  Not just because Sam became a rotation player last season (80 games, started 8, 16.1mpg, 1290 minutes total) but because the Celtics organization kept their eyes on him and gave him the chance.  I think a lot of players in the G-League really don't believe the team they're signed with really give a damn about them.  The NBA is committed to the G-League, and the owners are going along, but the owners want proven NBA talent on their rosters (and they want them for the veteran's minimum except for those players that clearly will get their money somewhere no matter what) and G-Leaguers are, by definition, marginal NBA players if that.  Sam is proof that the Maine Celtics (which are owned by the same people who own the Boston Celtics) aren't like that.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:11 pm

Celtics reportedly working out T J Warren and Lamar Stevens this week.

The roster space is there if they can provide some depth at forward.

Certainly a position of need and two potential upgrades over others we’ve seen brought in.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:52 pm

NYCelt wrote:Celtics reportedly working out T J Warren and Lamar Stevens this week.

Certainly a position of need and two potential upgrades over others we’ve seen brought in.

NYCelt,

They are also working out Payton Pritchard's former teammate (for one year) at Oregon, Louis King. I posted this on the 'Celtic Tidbits' thread just because a workout isn't a roster signing yet. Doesn't really matter, I'm just CYA here.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:00 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/boston-blake-griffin-opens-time-012819175.html

Boston’s Blake Griffin opens up about his time with the Celtics

Justin Quinn

Tue, August 22, 2023 at 6:28 PM PDT·1 min read

In a recent appearance on the “Fore Play” podcast (h/t Sports Illustrated’s Jesse Cinquini), current free agent and former Boston Celtics veteran big man Blake Griffin shared his view on his time with the Celtics during the 2022-23 regular season. Griffin praised the Celtics organization, their fans, and his teammates from a ball club he was once warned against joining.

“Boston is unbelievable,” said Griffin. “Living in Boston, playing in Boston, was like one of the best experiences. Dude, the fans are incredible … One of the best parts, the players on that team are just like such a great group of guys.”

Griffin has had a lengthy NBA career after reinventing his game when his athleticism started to fade, playing for multiple teams including the Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit Pistons, and the Celtics.

During his time with the Celtics, he averaged 4.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game over 41 appearances in the 2022-23 season, with 16 of those as a starter.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I went from a Blake Griffin critic to a big fan of his, which I NEVER thought would happen, because of how he conducted himself on and off the court when he was in green.  I'm not sure I see where we need another big, unless Luke gets traded, but they say the door is still open for Blake to return and, if that doesn't unbalance the roster (floor general, damn it Brad, FLOOR GENERAL!!!), that would be just fine with me.  In fact, with the loss of Smart and Grant we could sure use someone who loves to get Tommy Points by being the first to the floor, and that was Blake last year.  His body can't go up like it used to but he sure was willing to put it down on the HARDwood.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:08 pm

bobheckler wrote:
NYCelt wrote:Celtics reportedly working out T J Warren and Lamar Stevens this week.

NYCelt,

They are also working out Payton Pritchard's former teammate (for one year) at Oregon, Louis King.  I posted this on the 'Celtic Tidbits' thread just because a workout isn't a roster signing yet.  Doesn't really matter, I'm just CYA here.

Bob

Ah yes.

A little better organization.

That would be a more appropriate topic to copy the message to. Good point.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:28 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/vocal-leader-capable-shooter-jordan-100022334.html

A vocal leader, and a capable shooter, Jordan Walsh impressed Jay Scrubb in summer league play

Justin Quinn

Wed, August 23, 2023 at 3:00 AM PDT·2 min read

Boston Celtics two way wing Jay Scrubb got a chance to spend some time with one of the other new additions to Boston’s roster for the 2023-24 season, forward Jordan Walsh. The Celtics’ No. 38 pick of the 2023 draft spent time with Scrubb at the 2023 Las Vegas Summer League playing with the Arkansas alum, and Scrubb had praise for his new teammate in a recent interview with Green With Envy’s Adam Taylor.

“For me, with it being my fourth year in the league and me being a younger guy, I would say his best underrated attribute to me is (that) he’s a vocal leader” shared Scrubb.”He’s 18-19 and the fact that he can come in and be that guy to where I can pull to the side and I could ask him a few things about his experience with colleges, being that I didn’t get a chance to experience (hem), that I could ask him, how was your experience?”

“And he’ll give me a well-rounded answer,” said Scrubb, who was one of the first players in years to be drafted out of junior college. “So I would say just like he’s a vocal leader.”

“And in summer league, he really surprised me shooting the ball,” shared the two way guard. “I already knew … in practice, seeing him shoot and working out with him after practice and stuff like that.

“I knew he was a capable shooter, but going into the summer league, I thought he shot the ball really well. He impressed me.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  It's not surprising for a player signed to a two-way and who wants to make the club to say nice things about a fellow Celtic who was a 2nd round pick and has made the club (how much time he spends in Maine getting reps is a different issue) but it's nice to see.  As Scrubb pointed out this will be his 4th year in the league with his 3rd team.  He's been in, presumably, 4 Summer League Tournaments.  He's played in 24 NBA games, a total of only 235 minutes of play, but he's been in NBA locker rooms for more than just a cup of coffee.  If this comment came from JD Davison, who has only played on one team for one season, only his 2nd SL, and only made it into 12 NBA games for a total of 66 minutes then it would mean less because his perspective is pretty narrow.  He knows Maine.  He knows Boston, a little.  That's it, and that all happened over just one year.  Jay Scrubb's experiences are a bit broader even if they're not that much deeper.

I know, I know, I'm gushing a bit much over an untested, unproven 2nd round draft pick based upon some highlight videos (which are, of course, going to show off how good he is and not where he isn't) and < 6 games vs talent that, most of whom, won't even make the G-League much less the NBA but what I saw impressed me.  His energy level on defense was outstanding, and that very much translates to the NBA level.  He'll probably be a step slow this year, because he's never seen NBA pro offenses before and won't be able to anticipate what comes next as quickly as he will in future years.  He'll make dumb fouls, preferably because he's overaggressive and not because he's stupid.  I expect his offense to regress to his current mean, which will be 'mediocre'.  Nevertheless, I still expect Jordan Walsh to exceed our expectations this year IF he is given playing time.  That is what still needs to be determined.  Joe overplayed his stars last year, just too many minutes.  If Joe backs off that, and he now has two very veteran assistant coaches in Sam Cassell and Charles Lee to help him, in my opinion some of the most understated and underappreciated upgrades to our roster in the offseason, then bench players will play more and that might include defensive pitbull Jordan Walsh.  

I'm going to go out on a limb a little bit and say that, by the end of the season, me and Cowens are going to be raving Jordan Walsh fans.  He sure looks like our type of player already. A tough, hard-nosed defender.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:45 pm

There was a time when TJ Warren was looked at as a solid #3 guy.  Unfortunately injuries have really sidetracked his  career.  He is available on the cheap.  

Seems like Brad is still sniffing around wing options.  Thus Lamar Stevens and Warren beeped on the radar screen.

I am also very high on rookie Jordan Walsh.   He is on the list of several wing players draft6ed over the past few years.  All come in with physical tools.   Danny drafted the other ones but JW is a Brad Stevens pick.

Nesmith came in with great intensity but his inability to knock down open looks is the reason why he is no longer on the team.  Similar situation with Romeo.  I hope that Walsh can do that for us.  Make open looks.  Defensively he looks a cut above both Nesmith and Langford.  Defense will get you on the floor but you have to make shots.   It will be interesting to see how JW does that.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:24 am

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2023/08/23/challenges-boston-celtics-sharpshooter/

More challenges await for Boston Celtics sharpshooter Sam Hauser

by Matt John
1 day ago

Since the very beginning of his tenure with the Boston Celtics, Sam Hauser has always let the city know that challenges don’t phase him. After starting out on a two-way contract, Hauser impressed the team to the point where they converted his two-way deal to a standard contract mid-season, then gave him a three-year deal the following summer. That’s not a walk in the park.

But, even then, Hauser’s new payday in 2022 didn’t make many shockwaves. His name wasn’t mentioned much until Danilo Gallinari tore his ACL during the 2022 FIBA Tournament. Though Hauser was who the Celtics designated as their prized addition’s replacement, many initially clamored for Carmelo Anthony because his skillset was similar to Gallinari’s, and the Cs would at least have known what they were getting in him compared to Hauser.

Hauser’s lack of experience was a justified concern. At the same time, he only had two things to prove:

1.  That he could fill in well enough in Gallinari’s role to diminish his absence
2.  That he could hold his own defensively.

TLDR: Hauser rose to the occasion. His dead-eye three-point shooting prowess – 41.8% from distance on 4.2 attempts a game per NBA.com – lived up to the hype, but that was to be expected. His individual defense was what many were paying close attention to. While not elite, Hauser held his own, which was all that mattered. Per NBA.com, opponents targeted Hauser in isolation in 18.9% of his defensive possessions. Only three players in the league were targeted more frequently – Nic Claxton, Usman Garuba, and Zeke Nnaji – and yet Hauser allowed a respectable 0.92 points per possession.

Hauser was thrust into a bigger role than the Boston Celtics initially planned to give him, but he proved that he was more than ready for it. Although, while he was up for the challenge, it wasn’t always smooth sailing for the second-year pro.

It seems like a distant memory now, but there was a prolonged stretch where Hauser’s 3-ball straight-up abandoned him. From November 30, 2022, to February 3, 2023, Hauser shot 29.2% from distance, per NBA.com. Since Hauser’s floor spacing was why he saw the floor, the bricks he laid were not a pleasant sight.

While he eventually got past that, another issue was that Joe Mazzulla did not trust him in the 2023 playoffs, with his role diminishing with every preceding series. He went from 10.5 minutes a game against the Hawks to 4.8 against the 76ers to 4.4 against the Heat.

Okay, in all fairness, expecting an undrafted free agent to go from an end-of-the-bench body to a consistent playoff contributor in his second year in the NBA is a tall order, so Hauser has earned some much-deserved slack in that regard. However, following all the changes the Celtics made, a new challenge is on the horizon for Hauser – is he capable of a potentially even bigger role?

Sam Hauser may have an open path to minutes on the Boston Celtics in 2023-24

The Boston Celtics shored up their frontcourt this summer, adding Kristaps Porzingis while losing Marcus Smart and Grant Williams, among others. Losing two rotation players while adding an injury-prone star big man like Porzingis could potentially open more minutes for Hauser. Coming off a season where he exceeded expectations, it’s definitely worth a look.

On July 30, CelticsBlog’s Wayne Spooney did an excellent job explaining how Hauser could not only replace the production of the departed Williams but could also reach a new level with a bigger role. And it’s true. There is potential for Hauser to be even better in an expanded role if he can capitalize on his surprisingly steady season last year. Being a threat from distance while not being an obvious weakness on defense helps his case there. But knowing who else the Celtics added this offseason would indicate that it’s far from a sure thing that Hauser’s role will expand or that he will have the same role as last season.

Besides Porzingis, the Boston Celtics put an emphasis on adding length and athleticism this summer along the wing. Jordan Walsh, Oshae Brissett, and Dalano Banton are all springy athletes with long wingspans whose builds make their potential exciting, particularly on defense. And they all happen to be around the exact same height as Hauser.

This does not mean that they will get the nod over Hauser. He has continuity and a usually reliable three-ball in his arsenal, and those three don’t.

However, their additions could indicate, above all else, that Hauser will have to consistently prove himself the better option to keep his spot.

While Hauser may have the inside track to being in the rotation, nothing is guaranteed. As impressive as he was, he got his role in the rotation last year because of a tragic twist of fate. But even so, he’s proven he can handle things on his end. He just has to do it again, and if he proves he’s up for it, there could be more in store for him with the Celtics.

It would be a lot for an NBA player with only one real year of experience under his belt to have to prove that not only is he a still dependable rotation player but is capable of doing more. Luckily for Hauser, knowing all that he’s already accomplished, that’s just Tuesday.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Joe's lack of trust in Sam wasn't limited to Sam.  Joe also abandoned Grant, and that was a big mistake.  Joe went away from what got him there.  Well, that was last year, this is this year.  We'll see if getting badly outcoached by Spoelstra taught him anything.

As far as expectations for Sam this year, I'd say "just more of the same".  41.8% from 3?  Check.  He took 4.2 3pt fgas over 16mpg.   Sounds about right.  That comes out to around 9.3 3pt fgas/36mpg.  Sounds like a lot, but he only took 5.0 fgas/game, so 80% of his shots were 3s.  Normally that would make me puke, but that's Sam's job, it's to open the floor with killer catch-and-shoot outside shooting, so he gets a pass.  The 11fgas/36mpg looks like a shooter but not a conscienceless one. The player that is competing with him for bench minutes at wing (as of today) is Oshae Brissett.  Oshae is a career 34.4% 3pt shooter.  I don't know enough about him to make a judgment yet, but 34.4% isn't almost 42%.  Oshae's DefRtg with Indy last year was 118, which sucks, but that's Indy.  What would Sam's 113 DefRtg look like if the situations were reversed and he was on Indy and Oshae was on the Celtics?  Sam's OffRtg was 124.  That makes his NetRtg a very nice +11.  Quality offense plus adequate defense will earn minutes.  The article points out that he was targeted on defense.  Sure, that makes sense.  He was fresh meat.  This year?  It'll depend upon who else is on the floor with him.  Will they still target Sam over either of the Js?  Yep, for sure, but what if he's playing with Payton?  Then it'll be Payton, because Sam has proven himself to some extent and Payton is still undersized while Sam is a decent sized 6'8" wing.  With the loss of Grant we're going to need Sam's 3pt shooting even more.  He was a very pleasant surprise last year.  This year he has to be dependably so.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:40 am

bobheckler wrote:https://us.yahoo.com/sports/boston-blake-griffin-opens-time-012819175.html

Boston’s Blake Griffin opens up about his time with the Celtics

Justin Quinn

Tue, August 22, 2023 at 6:28 PM PDT·1 min read

In a recent appearance on the “Fore Play” podcast (h/t Sports Illustrated’s Jesse Cinquini), current free agent and former Boston Celtics veteran big man Blake Griffin shared his view on his time with the Celtics during the 2022-23 regular season. Griffin praised the Celtics organization, their fans, and his teammates from a ball club he was once warned against joining.

“Boston is unbelievable,” said Griffin. “Living in Boston, playing in Boston, was like one of the best experiences. Dude, the fans are incredible … One of the best parts, the players on that team are just like such a great group of guys.”

Griffin has had a lengthy NBA career after reinventing his game when his athleticism started to fade, playing for multiple teams including the Los Angeles Clippers, Detroit Pistons, and the Celtics.

During his time with the Celtics, he averaged 4.1 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 1.5 assists per game over 41 appearances in the 2022-23 season, with 16 of those as a starter.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I went from a Blake Griffin critic to a big fan of his, which I NEVER thought would happen, because of how he conducted himself on and off the court when he was in green.  I'm not sure I see where we need another big, unless Luke gets traded, but they say the door is still open for Blake to return and, if that doesn't unbalance the roster (floor general, damn it Brad, FLOOR GENERAL!!!), that would be just fine with me.  In fact, with the loss of Smart and Grant we could sure use someone who loves to get Tommy Points by being the first to the floor, and that was Blake last year.  His body can't go up like it used to but he sure was willing to put it down on the HARDwood.

Rumor-du-Jour is that the Warriors are interested in Blake.  They are legit contenders for his services because his family lives in LA, so the Bay Area is a quick hop up the coast, which makes for an easier decision for him.

Other teams expressing interest, in addition to our Celtics, is Philly and the Clippers.  If Blake chooses the flaming dumpster fire that is the Philadelphia Sixers then he needs to up his meds, or back off the voltage, because he's certifiably nuts.  It'd be kinda strange, and yet universally congruent, if he ended up back with the team that drafted him and that he played for for most of his career. It'd be like KG going back to Minny for the last year of his career. Mostly symbolic, but apropro.

The greatest value Blake Griffin could bring to the Celtics is his role as a Marcus Smart proxy.  If he resigns with us I will almost guarantee he'll be the leading holder of Tommy Points next season despite his limited usage, and that disturbs me about this team more than any technical or athletic reason I can think of.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:13 am

Sam carved out a role for himself last season. He has more experience going into next season. I think he can fill the offensive void left by Grant Williams departure.

We really do not know much about the other new additions. CJ will have to figure how to use them but at least he will have experience staff members to help him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:23 am

If Boston was interested in Blake they would have already signed him.

Keep in mind that he will be at the top salary bracket for a 10+ year vet.  I do not think that they want to pay him.  however

"Because the NBA doesn’t want teams to avoid signing veteran players in favor of cheaper, younger players, the league reimburses clubs who sign veterans with three or more years of experience to one-year, minimum-salary contracts. Those deals will only count against the cap – and against a team’s bank balance –
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/07/nba-minimum-salaries-for-2023-24.html
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:30 pm

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/25/nba-boston-celtics-pp-on-et/

'He could have played with us,' says Payton Pritchard of Evan Turner's time as a Boston Celtics assistant

Justin Quinn

August 25, 2023 6:00 am ET

The Boston Celtics are no stranger to former players returning to the team to serve as an assistant coach — think Dana Barros and Sam Cassell for a pair of recent examples — and sometimes, they are still close enough to their playing days that they might even be able to suit up for the team. Such was the case for Boston alum and former assistant coach Evan Turner according to Payton Pritchard in an appearance on Turner’s “Point Forward” podcast.

“When I was supposed to have a day off,” said Turner, hinting at the contours of his relationship with the indefatigable Pritchard as his assistant coach, “I can guarantee you Payton’s talking, ‘You want to get some work in tomorrow?’ … This dude really works hard!”

“I love the game,” answered Pritchard. “But I used to tell him, we were just talking and I was like ‘ET was the best one to go against because he could have played with us;’ he would have been in the eight, nine-man rotation.”

“We actually needed him,” added the Celtics guard. “In practice, we were watching, he can go still, and he’s over here coaching’. I’m like, ‘I need to be playing against him. That’s who is going to make me better.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  Even Turner is still only 34 years old.  He's an excellent ball handler, floor general and an outstanding rebounder for his size.

No, I haven't given up on signing another ballhandler...  

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:38 pm

https://nesn.com/2023/08/jayson-tatum-getting-stronger-for-celtics-in-new-video/

Jayson Tatum Getting Stronger For Celtics In New Video

Tatum has had a busy week of training

TIM CROWLEY AUG 24  |  1:40 PM 1 MIN READ

Jayson Tatum has had a busy week training for the upcoming season with the Boston Celtics.

The 25-year-old joined his fellow star, Jaylen Brown, to work on their mid-range game in a video that surfaced earlier this week.

Tatum also went to work in the weight room. The All-Star forward showed off his strength in deadlifting 495 pounds in another workout video that emerged this week on social media.

To see Tatum’s impressive deadlift, click here.  (MY NOTE:  Twitter/X link is live, below):

ClutchPoints
@ClutchPoints
Jayson Tatum makes lifting 495 pounds look easy 😳

(via nsang8/IG)
https://twitter.com/i/status/1694504342097641650

The Celtics came up one win short of a historic comeback in the Eastern Conference finals and a trip to the NBA Finals for a second consecutive year. Tatum looks to lead Boston into another championship-caliber season alongside Brown and new addition Kristaps Porzingis.

Last season, Tatum averaged 30.1 points per game in 74 contests, shooting 46.6% from the field and 35% from 3-point range.

Bob
I have NO idea if 495# is a lot for a 20-something professional athlete weighing whatever he weighs now.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:38 am

Bob just saw the video, me thinks this squat exercise has got to be good for his post defense and not getting pushed off your spot. He did that weight not once, but a few times. I noticed Tatum improved his offensive rebounding last year, I see that rebounding avg continue to rise. Better dirty work from our best player is a good thing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next