Celtics Sign Queta Empty Re: Celtics Sign Queta

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 pm

Congratulations to him, he has worked hard to get this
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:34 pm

Logical move.  I am very happy for him.  He gives us crazy depth at center.  We have seen more 2 big lineups recently so our center bench depth will allow us to play that way all game long if CJ wants to.

Another solid move by Brad.

Last edited by dboss on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:09 pm

It'll be interesting to see if they lock him up long term.

Bigs take more time to get up to speed in the NBA. Like with Luke, patience and time may pan out down the line.

This signing may be more about the future than the now.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:19 pm

Smart and almost mandatory move.

Going into the playoffs we have been lacking a strong inside presence and have needed depth at center.

Queta gives us someone we can use in spots when it gets too physical under the rim for Porzingis.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 pm

Good move, more versatility for 2 big line ups. More options at big is always better in my book.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:15 am

gyso wrote:It'll be interesting to see if they lock him up long term.

Bigs take more time to get up to speed in the NBA.  Like with Luke, patience and time may pan out down the line.

This signing may be more about the future than the now.

gyso,

Spotrac has this: It's the rest of this year, for $81K base salary (there's only 1 week left in the regular season), and next year for $2.2M. He is a UFA after next season.

This surprises me, to be honest. I thought for sure Brad would sign him to a "Sam Hauser" contract, 3-4 one year contracts with team options.

I agree this is about the future. It doesn't hurt to have depth at a position where we have a octogenarian and a Ming vase but he's not passing Luke or X on the depth chart, not in the playoffs. Jaylen and Payton's contracts are kicking in next year and Jrue is talking about an extension? The chances of players being moved is very real and having a $2.2M contract you can give up without cutting into your core is valuable.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-celtics/neemias-queta-74146/

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:15 am

Bob,

One week, $81k. Nice work, if you can get it.

I guess that is why they waited for the last week of the regular season to sign him. It minimizes the cap hit.

Spotrac still doesn't have the final details yet, including any options and associated deadlines. Without the "Sam Hauser" contract, his future may be somewhere else.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:29 pm

I'm not sure Queta has shown the skills or ability to develop as much more than short-term playoff muscle or depth while Porzingis and Kornet are the center options. I think the single year tie-up is so they can cut the cord easily if needed as the roster evolves.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:05 pm

I was looking at his Combine measurables from 2021=22 and Queta was at the top of several categories.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro?SeasonYear=2021-22&dir=D&sort=WINGSPAN

Hand width 10.5 ", wingspan 7' 4", standing reach 9' 4.5", height with 6' 11.25" and without shoes 7'0.5"

He has some of the same attributes as RW except Queta is a legit center in terms of height. Rob was 6' 9"

Rob was a click more athletic but not by that much. Queta seems to have a stronger base and is able to hold his position better than Rob.

Brad was at the game in Maine last night. When you consider several players well worth development time, Brad has done a fantastic job. He has managed to add future talent.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:29 pm

The addition of Queta can be understood in terms of insurance.

If Kornet and Tillman provide insurance against the risk of losing AH and/or KP during the Playoff, Queta would be considered reinsurance.  Basically, another layer of insurance that would be activated in the event of a catastrophic loss ( KP or AH)

This is an example of Brad Steven exercising due diligence.

The Celtics medical staff, including the training group have done a marvelous job managing this team.  The one Player that has been a concern in terms of being playoff ready is Kristaps.  To a lesser degree they have also restricted AH from playing in any B2B games.  Since there are no B2B games in the playoffs it is mission accomplished with Al.   KP however is a game changer.

There are few BU centers of significance in the NBA.  Hartenstein (Knicks) and Drummond (Bulls) are probably the top 2.   No team has a legit 3rd, 4th or 5th center option.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:04 pm

NYCelt wrote:I'm not sure Queta has shown the skills or ability to develop as much more than short-term playoff muscle or depth while Porzingis and Kornet are the center options. I think the single year tie-up is so they can cut the cord easily if needed as the roster evolves.

Queta also does some things better than Luke who has improved immensely. Queta can defend better in space, he also can smother players looking to drive on the switch better IMO. Both can catch lobs equally well, great staple to have as we have such good playmakers looking out for each other all over the roster.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:25 pm

Queta is the better rebounder in traffic.  Kornet still gets beat on the glass too much and does not have mitts like Queta.  

They are both valuable assets and legit 7 footers that give the Celtics depth at center and insurance in case KP comes apart at the seams physically.

The playoffs is a marathon of high intensity physical basketball.  KP is really an unproven player in the playoffs with a mere 10 games under his belt.  He has been well cared for this season as the Celtics had the flexibility to limit him to only 56 games which is the low mark of our top 9.

I think they want him to be well rested and at peak performance so that he can provide a matchup nightmare against every team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down