THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!! GO CELTS!!

+17
spike
gyso
KellyGreen17
NYCelt
Jerry Tarkanian
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
bigpygme
cowens/oldschool
bobc33
beat
dboss
jeb
bobheckler
MDCelticsFan
Sam
21 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!!  GO CELTS!! - Page 2 Empty Re: THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!! GO CELTS!!

Post by 112288 Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:55 pm

Jeb,

The glimmer you may be looking for tonight is not there but perhaps a few weeks away. It is clear we do not have the dominating player who can control a game in the crutial last few minutes as the Lakers have with Byrant, Cleveland with James.

However I believe this loss will move management and acquire some immediate help. Management and Doc are not stupid and realize it is not happening.

I am a realist when it comes to business and sports. The Celtic's don't have the horses to get us to the promise land this year as the team currently exists.

So be patient help will come!

Back to top Go down

THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!!  GO CELTS!! - Page 2 Empty Re: THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!! GO CELTS!!

Post by beat Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm

jeb

here goes

It's a LONG season don't forget that. We are barely past half way. Car is not running well needs a tune up. But we have time to straighten out things. We are in a marathon not a sprint we need to pace ourselves from game to game BUT not within the game. Doc has gotta use the bench for more minutes win or lose right now.
We are for the first time since preseason have all of our players together. And we are still nursing a couple of these.

We are good enough to beat anyone..........................or if we play poorly loose to nearly everyone.
In looking at the standings it really is looking like NO team will win 60 games this season. I know the C's won't and thats fine for now.

Remember 69. Went to the playoffs with the fourth (and last) playoff spot in the east. That team had a few guys with a lot of miles on um not unlike this bunch.

We for some reason have lost that edge that swagger. We have a couple of months to find it and my guess it will come in parts and we saw a small part of that today.

Just keep working and adjusting and the pieces will come together.

Time as always will tell.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:01 pm

Jeb,

Of the five games since KG's return, this one definitely had the strongest glimmer of all. The comeback spearheaded by the bench could wind up being one of the turning points of the season for this team.

I don't mean to imply that the bench is now cured and will operate beautifully from now on. It isn't like the situation in many business in which either a given development contributes tangibly to the bottom line or it isn't relevant. By a "glimmer," I mean an early indication of what can eventually happen on a more consistent basis through repetition.

And the interesting news is that the bench that did this job isn't even as "whole" as the bench that will hopefully be operating during the playoffs; and yet they made the Lakers' bench look pitiful by comparison..to the point that Phil had to play his starters a total of 180 minutes as opposed to 165 for the Celtics starters.

Rondo played a team-high 38 minutes, and no other Celtics starter played more than 34. An injured Kobe played 45, and Pau 41. Good luck to them, playing a high-caliber team every other night in a seven-game series. The Celtics bench averaged a +3 against the Lakers; and the Celtics bench players outscored the Lakers' bench players 29-21.

In my eyes, a "glimmer" is a good sign—particularly one that hasn't been a reasonably regular occurrence. That's why I wouldn't classify Rondo's performance as a glimmer because we're sort of used to it.

And, for those who may feel this particular glimmer was an insignificant one-time thing, I can prove it's not. I can prove it by doing the same thing the Celtics can do for the players—playing the tape. It's on record! It can't be erased! All it has to do is be emulated over time, like all the other glimmers I'll be listing. That's what the remainder of the season is for.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Glimmers you say?

* Tony Allen is in the picture again.
* Daniels should be back on the court soon.
* KG having a couple of weeks rest in the middle of the season should result in more energy for him in May and June. (more energy for KG, not sure that is possible)
* Rajon is an all-star, and I think we will turn to him more when games are on the line, even with everyone else healthy.
* Glen Davis is back and getting into game shape.
* Barring any more injuries, we have a deep veteran club going into the playoffs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:06 am

Just as a bit of clarification, my definition of "glimmer" alludes to a promising NEW development. For example, the fact that the Celtics have three all-stars wouldn't be a glimmer in my definition. The fact that Rondo almost routinely records double doubles is no longer a glimmer; it's more of an expectation. However, the fact that Tony Allen has recently emerged from the ashes is a definite glimmer. Indications that Sheed is becoming comfortable in low post duties is a certain glimmer.

The reason I attach so much significance to new factoids is that I don't want to rely on the same old arguments about how good this team is. This thread is about improvement, so I'm emphasizing new developments. That should make the sheer size of the list all the more impressive and compelling as it grows. At some point, I'm very likely to encounter diminishing returns as all the good "glimmers" have already appeared on the list and I'll try to avoid being overly redundant.

There's definitely nothing sacred about my interpretation, and I'm delighted to hear from any one who wants to put his or her own spin on the glimmer game, as long as we're talking about positives. This is a thread for positives. I want it to be a place where people can go to be buoyed up if and when there are periods when the team encounters road bumps.

So here are tonight's glimmers:

@ Wizards:

# 12 Tony becomes permanently etched in the glimmer column by dancing all over the Wiz' heads on both ends of the court. After this, his freneticism can no longer be considered a new glimmer in this thread unless it disappears and then reappears or takes on a new dimension. In concert, Rondo and the current version of Tony could really become something special. Addition: And lately, unlike much of his career, Tony has been able to get his head into the game instantly when coming off the bench.

# 13 The Celtics are offensively consistent throughout the entire game, scoring from 24-26 points in each quarter.

# 14 The Celtics finish strong and close out the Wizards by limiting them to 10 points in the fourth quarter.

# 15 Sheed eschews three-pointers (tryinig only one) and spends most of his offensive time on the block while going for a very efficient 14 points and playing great defense.

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:19 am

Sam

#12 is why I think TA has earned a shot as a starter,another athlete to run and hound with Rondo could be a good lethal thing,less minutes and a better fresher Ray Allen as a sniper off the bench could add even more firepower.Damn somebody hire me as a consultant!!

cow

Last edited by cowens/oldschool on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:24 am

Reggie Miller suggests Allen pare down workouts
E-mail|Link|Comments (0)Posted by Gary Washburn Globe Staff February 1, 2010 06:43 PM
With Ray Allen 20 for 63 in his past five games and consistently missing 3-pointers he made over the past 13 years, his effectiveness has come into question, especially less than three weeks before the trade deadline and with a $19 million expiring contract. TNT's Reggie Miller, the league's all-time 3-point leader and friend of Allen, was asked by the Globe about Allen during a Monday conference call. He suggestions were interesting.

“(Ray Allen) looked great in that Orlando game down in Orlando last Thursday. Obviously the older you get for jump shooters your percentages go down," he said. "I think that’s what everyone is somewhat concerned about with Ray right now, but he’s played in every game this season. I had a chance to speak with him before the game and he was a lot like me when it came to preparation before a game, I liked to get there three or four hours before a game and, as I called it, smell the gym, get up there early and gets some shots up.

"I told him, the older I got, I cut back. I got there at the same time, but I didn’t go through a two-hour shooting routine because I felt drained once the game started. He might have to start thinking about that by cutting down a lot of volume of shots that he puts up before the game so he can be a little fresher when game time comes around. Ray knows how much respect I have for him because I love guys who like to come to the gym early and stay late.

"He has struggled at times, especially at playoff times, with his shooting, but I thought he was fantastic in last year’s playoffs in that Chicago series. He had so many big games. But they’ll right the ship. Health is going to be a big part for the Celtics. Kevin will have to get healthy along with Paul Pierce, but once Marquis Daniels comes back and Doc (Rivers) has his full complement of players, I think then maybe then we’ll see what the Celtics are made of.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:41 am

This is interesting, but is there another thread that might be more appropriate? Or perhaps it's worthy of its own thread. Perhaps we should have another thread along the lines of "Current Theories about the State of the Celtics" or something like that.

I'm really trying very hard to keep this thread in line with the objectives I've stated. Somehow this very interesting and important post doesn't seem to fill the bill. BUT, while on the subject, I have to say I think Reggie's suggestion could be a good one. I wonder if part of Ray's devotion to the pregame regimen represents a way for him to transition mentally from home life to game life. He has more on his plate at home than many players do.

Thanks,

Sam

Last edited by Sam on Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:44 am

Cow,

See my post in response to a similar comment you made in the "No Game within a Game" Thread. I won't bother duplicating it here.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 am

Sam wrote:112288,

This is interesting, but is there another thread that might be more appropriate? Or perhaps it's worthy of its own thread. Perhaps we should have another thread along the lines of "Current Theories about the State of the Celtics" or something like that.

I'm really trying very hard to keep this thread in line with the objectives I've stated. Somehow this very interesting and important post doesn't seem to fill the bill. BUT, while on the subject, I have to say I think Reggie's suggestion could be a good one. I wonder if part of Ray's devotion to the pregame regimen represents a way for him to transition mentally from home life to game life. He has more on his plate at home than many players do.

Thanks,

Sam

sam,

The glimmer I took from my post that I wanted to share is that perhaps Ray is not over the hill yet. He may be over practicing which has caused him to tire easily and affect his shooting and so I wanted to share that thought from an earlier comment about Ray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:14 am

Thanks for the explanation. I'm too dense to have caught that as a glimmer. In that light, it certainly qualifies. And I agree that the reports of Ray's basketball death have been greatly exaggerated.

It goes back to my "toy soldier" theory. Some people think you just wind up basketball players and plop them on the floor and they should automatically perform at their optimal levels. These are human beings out there. There are extenuating circumstances for much of what goes on out there—many of those circumstances invisible to us. That's why the really good teams are the ones that put their players in the best possible positions to succeed.

I've got my eye out for some examples of that in Celtics games, and you can just bet they'll be highlighted in the "glimmers" thread.

Thanks for contributing that. I wish I hadn't been so obtuse.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 am

Sam wrote:112288,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm too dense to have caught that as a glimmer. In that light, it certainly qualifies. And I agree that the reports of Ray's basketball death have been greatly exaggerated.

It goes back to my "toy soldier" theory. Some people think you just wind up basketball players and plop them on the floor and they should automatically perform at their optimal levels. These are human beings out there. There are extenuating circumstances for much of what goes on out there—many of those circumstances invisible to us. That's why the really good teams are the ones that put their players in the best possible positions to succeed.

I've got my eye out for some examples of that in Celtics games, and you can just bet they'll be highlighted in the "glimmers" thread.

Thanks for contributing that. I wish I hadn't been so obtuse.

Sam

Sam,

I guess I was a little remiss in fully explaining the reason behind my post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:12 pm

Like you have nothing else going on in your life! lol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:22 pm

KG really played well last night and is shooting the ball really well.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:34 pm

dboss wrote:KG really played well last night and is shooting the ball really well.

dboss
and his interior passing is deft - the other bigs are getting there at expecting the pass and will pick up on it better over time ...
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:47 pm

The better KG's passing game is, the more effective it renders Rondo's passing game.

Excellent point about the other bigs getting better at expecting the pass. Perk's still struggling a bit with it, but it has become the rule rather than the exception with him.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

What has happened to the Perk of the beginning of the season???? He seemed to have it all together, now he seems to be struggling alot more. The mental mistakes are the ones that cause him to expend so much anger at the ref's, when it really is mostly his fault. I am hoping that practicing at home for a few days will get him back in sync. I thought he was going to tear the league apart this year from the way he started!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

Rosalie

I think he was functioning well with the guys he knew and is struggling like the rest of the squad mostly due to continuity issues.

And I also think teams have seen his moves and learned to defend them.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 pm

HOWS THIS FOR A MUTHAFLIPPIN GLIMMER? THE CAPTAIN AINT GOT A BROKE FOOT!
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Another glimmer:

Oklahoma City beat Atlanta tonight. That drops the Hawks one game behind us in the loss column.

Durant dropped another 33 with 14 for 14 from the line. At 24.36 points per game, he's 16th on the all-time list in points per game. #17? Mr. Larry Bird at 24.29. Also, at .8711, he's the 19th best free throw shooter of all-time. Pretty impressive. Top 20 in career scoring and Top 20 all-time free-throw shooting. What a monster he's turning out to be.

Interestingly, three of the all-time Top 5 free-throw shooters are active: Nash (#2), Stojakovic (#3) and Ray Allen (#5).

Last edited by steve3344 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:23 pm

By the way Jeb--back in January (it sounds so long ago now!!) I posted a bunch of articles that were written back in l969. I found a bunch of my old Celtic junk one day while searching for something. The articles are quite enlightening. I think it was around January 19 or so. The title of the post was
"A plea for reinvigoration". Look at those articles, you will really get a piece of the past and see why I am still so optimistic about this year. (The funny things you come up with when you least expect it!!)
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:29 pm

rosalie

man it's good to have you back!

Where are the articles?

Jeb
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Rosalie,

Those are great articles! Thanks again for posting them. What memories they revive!

I think we need to have a little patience with Perk. His role changed when KG was out, and now it's pretty much changed back—but not totally because KG's not quite the same as when he left.

I believe Perk's searching for his identity yet again. He's not a fast learner or a fast adaptor. But he's the type of guy who will rumble along and then suddenly click into gear as though he suddenly "gets it."

Frankly, I think the entire squad's just plodding through this stretch as best it can, with a view toward coming back after the break potentially reinforced, greatly refreshed, and ready to nail down a consistent and winning approach.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 am

Sam-I have a friend who had the called the Herald after the picture of Russell and Siegfried was in the paper. She asked for a print of it. They sent her two.
She had held on to it for years when, one day, she took her grandson to a card signing show. Low and behold Russell was supposed to be there, so she brought the pictures with her. She asked him if he would sign one. He took her aside, all excited about the picture, and told her he would not do it in public, but if she would give it to the person with him, he would sign it and send it back, only if he could have one copy of it! She was delighted to give him back one of his memories!! He did exactly what he said he would do and she now has a copy of that picture framed with his autograph. He was so excited to get the copy of the picture!!

As for the team....I have not lost faith that they will come together, and hopefully put together a terrific second half. The other night on the Comcast channel they started their show by playing funeral music. Thought they were really funny. Turned me off on watching them at all.
They don't have to be fans, but, they showed so little class. I WILL NOT JUMP SHIP, I WILL NOT GIVE UP!! BETTER DAYS ARE COMING!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:20 am

Jeb - There is a posting dated January 25 titled "A Plea for Reinvigoration"
Sam started the post. In that post I replied with a web site that had several
articles from the l969 Championship win in LA. (I am a pack rat when in comes to the Celtics!!, but I lost alot in a flood) Anyway, click on that, go to my reply and there is a website for you to go to to read these articles. They are alot of fun to read and remember!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next