THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!! GO CELTS!!

+17
spike
gyso
KellyGreen17
NYCelt
Jerry Tarkanian
steve3344
RosalieTCeltics
bigpygme
cowens/oldschool
bobc33
beat
dboss
jeb
bobheckler
MDCelticsFan
Sam
21 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!!  GO CELTS!! - Page 4 Empty Re: THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!! GO CELTS!!

Post by Sam Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Celtics vs. Nets:

# 19 Glen Davis consistently working hard and doing the lunchpail stuff at both ends of the floor, plus continuing to display a regained shooting touch

# 20 Eddie House solidifying his renewed shooting prowess and flying in the face of league rumors to the contrary when he does it in helping his team come from behind

$ 21: Ray Allen demonstrating that he still has it from the arc, as (in my estimation) he corrected a shooting flaw by putting more arc (no pun intended) on the ball

$ 22: Best Celtics quarter is the last quarter, when the defense stiffens mightily, with Davis, Sheed, Eddie, Ray and Rondo (no Tony) leading the way
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!!  GO CELTS!! - Page 4 Empty Re: THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!! GO CELTS!!

Post by jeb Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:32 pm

sam

didnt see the game but it seems like Ray is breaking out of his funk and waking up. He always has a good floor game. I liked that he chose to shoot midrange against the Heat. Too many threes give me a rash.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:22 pm

I will still say that Ray is an important cog in this wheel. Trading him would be such a mistake. Whether they decide to sign him at the end of his contract will be between Ray and the team. But letting him go now is a mistake. I am so glad to see him shooting well again. Tomorrow is a big one, I hope he carries it forward. KG seem to be a little down last night until it counted, but Doc said that this would happen for a while.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:02 pm

I didn't see the Net game, but it sounds to me why Ray Allen is a Celtic poster boy. Doesn't demand a lot of touches when Pierce is on the floor but when Pierce is out and we need an offensive leader to fill his sneakers, he steps up like the old days.

bob
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Here's a rhetorical question that could blow the minds of many people, but I believe the answer will resonate with you.

How is Ray like Scal? (That's the mind-blowing part.)

My answer is that most people don't understand the pervasiveness of the influence of either player. People tend to associate Ray mostly with three-point shooting. And I do know that people go bonkers if Scal misses a couple of three-pointers, which means that's primarily how they judge him whether or not they give lip service to his other attributes.

Both guys mean a lot more to the team than three pointers, although the bomb is a major part of their games. I won't go into Scal's assets again because I'm sick of the futility. But Ray is an extremely important chemistry chameleon on this team. Whatever the team most needs, that's what Ray tries his best to turn into.

Just as a tiny example, his rebounds have really been up there lately. Although he's a certified gunslinger, he averages three assists a game. If the team's in a stretch where it makes sense to go to the hoop, Ray does it. And he invariably gets one of the toughtest offensive opponents to guard.

Why do people think Doc plays him so much? Because he thinks Ray gets paid by the minute and wants to make Ray rich? No, it's because Ray comes closest to a Jack-of-All Trades that the Celtics currently have on the roster. Lately, he's even been playing some at the "3" position as he did yesterday with Rondo and Eddie.

Let's see now. Who's the last guy I recall who had such endurance even at an advanced basketball age, moved constantly on offense, could play both the "2" and the "3," could shoot outside or take it to the hoop, was never afraid to defend the toughest opponent, would pass or rebound or do whatever was most needed? Hmmm. I can't quite recall, but I seem to remember that he wore the number corresponding with the number of championships the Celtics currently have. What was that guy's name?

(Now watch someone come up with the gem that Scal shouldn't be talked about in the same breath as Ray. Talk about missing the point!)

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:30 pm

no new points to make, but Ray did have a solid game, nice stroke and intangibles; i also really like Sam's point of Ray as chameleon, turning into what the team needs, changing even according to a given possession.

Glen's reb's were BIG and solidified the run ... House hitting those shots is always a pleasure to watch ... too bad coach can no longer spell S-h-e-l-d-e-n ...

just me, i bet Ray's not going anywhere ...

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:01 pm

Sam,

gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:36 pm

gyso,

Was that the number? Craggy face. I heard he had a nice-looking wife. Had some sort of nickname similar to one of the current Celtics: Condo, Blondo, Congo, Mongo Campfire, Ponzi, Fonzie, Klondike, whatever.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 pm

ha ha ha ha - nice little contest !!!!!!! like the parallel you drew, Sam ...
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:54 pm

Funny, two of my most favorite Celtics, although I had a chance to watch Havlicek play alot longer on this team than Ray. I have loved Ray's game from afar for many years. When the trade went down, my son said he was never going to be able to live with me! I loved Havlicek from the day they drafted him. Such versatility. Why people don't see the value of Ray Allen to this team is way beyond me. I will fight to the end and defend the decision of keeping him here in Boston for the duration. Just me, with more than a glimmer of hope!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by spike Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:19 pm

Seems like an appropriate spot to add this quote from 1969:

JOHN HAVLICEK: "We sort of limped through the regular season. In the last couple of weeks, Russell took time off. We could see he was resting up for the playoffs. All we wanted to do was stay in position to make the playoffs, we didn't care about homecourt advantage. We knew we had the experience and confidence to win a short series anywhere."

Experience + confidence = glimmer.

spike

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:50 pm

Sam wrote:gyso,

Was that the number? Craggy face. I heard he had a nice-looking wife. Had some sort of nickname similar to one of the current Celtics: Condo, Blondo, Congo, Mongo Campfire, Ponzi, Fonzie, Klondike, whatever.

Sam

Sam,

It sounds like you are describing a John Wayne movie or something.

Speaking of movies, did you get a chance to see (my) avatar yet?

THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!!  GO CELTS!! - Page 4 Icon_smile

gyso

Last edited by gyso on Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:06 pm

You'll have to excuse my eyesight gyso. I'm not able to make out the facial details of those two obviously good-looking people.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Sam,

Mrs. Hondo and Gabe Kapler?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 pm

gyso,

I thought it was Beth. But the guy doesn't look at all like Mr. Kotter.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 pm

THE CELTICS GLIMMER THREAD - 70+, STILL GOING STRONG!!  GO CELTS!! - Page 4 1974_c10

Here's Mr. Hondo
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:17 pm

nice suit!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:nice suit!!

Rosalie,

The suit is my favorite part of that picture. That and the sideburns. Those were certainly different times!!

gyso
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:10 am

Talk about wanting to get rid of certain pictures in your lifetime, I bet he wishes he had that one back now! Even though I feel like Sam in the similarities of both Johnny and Ray, he never would be able to hold a candle to Ray when it comes to being the best dressed Celtic. I am afraid Ray would have trouble beating JoJo White there, smooth, very classy dresser!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Celts vs. Magic:

# 23: Glen Davis scoring smoothly and rebounding well

# 24: The return of Marquis Daniels, who looked good in the low post with 8 points in 12 minutes

# 25: The continued improvement of KG in the rebounding department, with 9
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:50 pm

I was so glad to see Daniels return. I am not expecting miracles, but I really believe that spelling Pierce and Allen would be a great help.

That third quarter was probably the worst quarter of basketball that this group has played together. I don't know what happened, and finally when the light bulb went on in the fourth it was too late. Something has to give here. I know the world is yelling to trade Ray, but I really think that would be a mistake. Oh well, I have let my thoughts known before on this subject, no need to go on.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Celts @ Hornets:

# 26: Marquis Daniels emerging, after only two games back, as both catalyst and stabilizing agent for the bench

# 27: Sheed's height in the low post and Baby's interior strength and energy creating synergy
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Tarkanian Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 pm

Sam,

Agree heartily !

Daniels looked great and best I've seen Sheed play in last night's first half.

Appreciate one finding positives in a sea of gloom today.

Thanks,

Tark
Jerry Tarkanian
Jerry Tarkanian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

Tark,

My objective is not simply to be some ray of sunshine. I believe that improvement sometimes comes so gradually that we don't notice it except at major checkpoints. Sort of like parents may not notice their child's growth, but it's readily apparent to friends who only see the kid every three months. So, because so many people can become awed by the task of trying to recover from the Celtics' kind of malaise, I'm trying to draw attention to the little improvements as they occur. That's why I say I'm willing to watch paint dry or grass grow, because the experience of looking for the "glimmers" is far more exciting than simply being morose.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:40 pm

I thought Pierce was moving as well in the first half as I can remember in a long time. Glimmer.

QUis big honkin giant glimmer. Sheed played good.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next