mrkleen09
kdp59
Shamrock1000
swedeinestonia
bobheckler
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Trade Rumor:  Grizzlies Interested In Green Empty Trade Rumor: Grizzlies Interested In Green

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:50 am

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/01/boston_celtics_trade_rumors_20_147.html

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2015: Memphis Grizzlies trying to acquire Jeff Green or Luol Deng, according to report

Print Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com
on January 08, 2015 at 1:30 AM

Looking for perimeter help before the February trade deadline, the Memphis Grizzlies are trying to acquire the Boston Celtics' Jeff Green or the Miami Heat's Luol Deng, ESPN's Marc Stein reported early Thursday morning.

According to Stein, "no deal is imminent in either case," but the Grizzlies want to upgrade their situation on the wing for a better chance in the loaded Western Conference. Green's size and scoring ability could make him a good fit in Memphis, especially if he can start knocking down threes again. His 30.5-percent shooting from downtown is his worst since 2010-11.

Green's contract, which will pay him $9.4 million this season, contains a player option at the same value for 2015-16. Multiple league sources initially suspected he would opt in, but now believe he might have played himself into a bigger contract if he decides to test free agency this summer.

That being said, Green's numbers have gone down since the Rajon Rondo trade. The small forward might know the asset-acquiring Celtics could move him next, but has stated multiple times that he does not want to be dealt.

The Celtics, widely believed to be open to a Green trade, are reportedly looking for a first-round pick.

bob
MY NOTE:  I read somewhere that all of the Griz's 1st rounders are either given away or heavily protected until 2019.  Would Danny accept a 2019er?  At this point Danny has almost his own round...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Trade Rumor:  Grizzlies Interested In Green Empty Re: Trade Rumor: Grizzlies Interested In Green

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:04 am

What would they be able to offer that would be worth it? Koufos? He is a free agent after this season anyway I believe. Not more draft picks please and especially not from a good team like memphis.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Trade Rumor:  Grizzlies Interested In Green Empty Re: Trade Rumor: Grizzlies Interested In Green

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:19 am

swedeinestonia wrote:What would they be able to offer that would be worth it? Koufos? He is a free agent after this season anyway I believe. Not more draft picks please and especially not from a good team like memphis.

Would probably be Tayshaun Prince's expiring and a future pick (probably 2017 or later, Memphis already traded their 2015 pick) - this info is from Forsberg, who also said they Celtics might be interested in their 2014 1st rd pick Jordan Adams. Adams is a shooting guard who hasn't played much, and I don't really know anything about him.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:29 am

That does not sound like it is worth it unless Green has given indications that he intends to leave Boston.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:40 pm

a Jordan Adams draft bio:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jordan-adams

NBA Comparison: Anthony Morrow
Strengths: His greatest attributes are his scoring ability and competitiveness ... He is a player who really wants to win and will sell out for the team ... Many scorers’ use the defensive end for 35 seconds of rest time, or don’t crash the boards hard ... Adams instead seeks an opportunity to score at all time ... While on defense he is great in anticipating passing lanes and jumping them to get out on a fast break ... He always sprints to the offensive half court to find easy points ... On offense he crashes the paint using his big body to finish around the rim ... He is also a master of cuts, exploiting his teammate Anderson's ability to create from the dribble. Adams often back cuts behind his defender for an easy layup ... Despite being a scorer, Adams doesn’t dislike passing the ball, finishing the season with more than two assists per game ... Perhaps the most effective part of his game is his mid-range game which is reminiscent of Rip Hamilton (though much different body type) ... Adams does a great job in reading his defender on screens for jump shots (Alford work with him on reading screens certainly helped him improve this part of his game) and is great in using his strong upper body to put his defender "in jail" to finish with floaters or around the rim, though he is not exactly an top athlete ... He also has really good post moves for a guard, often taking advantage of smaller guards to score or get fouled ...

Weaknesses: As noted Adams isn’t a great athlete. He doesn’t necessarily needs to be a great athlete to succeed in the League, but it will for sure make his life harder when he will have to score in the paint ... I’m not sure that he can finish so easily over NBA bigs, he will have to take his mid-range game to an even higher level ... And it will make his life a lot harder on the defensive end where he will have to show the ability to stay in front of his opponents ... His lateral speed and foot speed aren’t where a NBA coach would like to have it but the strength of his upper body could help to handle the contact ... The other knock on his game is how inconsistent he is as a 3pts shooter and particularly on close out situations ... According to synergy in those situations when the defender is recovering on him he tends to shoot 81% of the time with very low percentages: 28%, well below average for a guard and clearly not the numbers you would expect from a player like him ... He needs to become a much more consistent shooter or decision maker on close outs to be successful in the NBA, where particularly initially he will have to take advantage of those opportunities to show his value before having screens and plays run for him ...

Notes: The prototype of a pure scorer, Jordan Adams didn’t waste time to impose himself as one of the best shot makers in the country ... In two years at UCLA on a good or a bad night you could always count on Jordan Adams delivering 15 points ... In addition to his ability to score, Jordan is able to bring to the table a desire for winning that led him to grab more than 5 rebounds per game and more than 2 steals per game (top ten in the country above well known great defenders like Aaron Craft) ... It is no coincidence that some of the worst games that UCLA had this year, like losses to Duke, Stanford and Washington State happened when Adams had his worst games ...

and another link:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Adams-7189/

of course if we take back Adams and Prince, we have too many players again.

maybe Prince can be sent to third team (philly?)or something.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 pm

You want to trade a proven 18+ PPG scorer for Jordan Adams? Really?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:39 pm

I'd rather keep  Green for now, but I was just putting some info about adams out there, in case.

Ainge may feel differently of course. only HE knows that master plan

see below and insert draft picks, trade and Free agents instead of courses.

Trade Rumor:  Grizzlies Interested In Green CEFlowChart2013-2014Rev6.17.13
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 pm

And could it be that if Ainge were to make this deal it would be because Danny would rather have cleared his 9.2 million salary to be used in free agency dealings this summer ?

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:26 pm

swish wrote:And could it be that if  Ainge were to make this deal it would be because Danny would rather have cleared his 9.2 million salary to be used in free agency dealings this summer ?
I sure hope not. I'm not a fan of relying on free agency to build a team. Free agents are usually overpriced, and it's so rare to get anyone impactful that way. The Knicks seem to be going all-in on the free agent route, but given their situation, it's about the only option they have left. Ainge and his bushel of draft picks don't have to rely on the crapshoot of free agency.

Last edited by Outside on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:29 pm

I know this is sort of a Monopoly Money discussion, but in the big picture - 9 million a year is NOT a lot of money in the NBA. You dont see too many impact players in that price range.

RK NAME TEAM SALARY
Kendrick Perkins, C Oklahoma City Thunder $9,654,342
Paul Millsap, PF Atlanta Hawks $9,500,000
Thaddeus Young, SF Minnesota Timberwolves $9,410,869
Tiago Splitter, C San Antonio Spurs $9,250,000
Jeff Green, SF Boston Celtics $9,200,000
Lance Stephenson, SG Charlotte Hornets $9,000,000
Jordan Hill, C Los Angeles Lakers $9,000,000
Trevor Ariza, SF Houston Rockets $8,579,089
Channing Frye, PF Orlando Magic $8,579,088
Marcus Thornton, SG Boston Celtics $8,575,000
Ryan Anderson, PF New Orleans Pelicans $8,491,500
Jeremy Lin, PG Los Angeles Lakers $8,374,646
Omer Asik, C New Orleans Pelicans $8,374,646
Monta Ellis, SG Dallas Mavericks $8,360,000
George Hill, PG Indiana Pacers $8,000,000
O.J. Mayo, SG Milwaukee Bucks $8,000,000
Ersan Ilyasova, PF Milwaukee Bucks $7,900,000

Who on this list list is going to
a) leave his current team to join a bottom dweller like the Celtics
b) make even a marginal difference over Jeff Green's 18 PPG?

Asik maybe, but his numbers have fallen off in a BIG WAY since his move to NO. I dont see anyone on this list that makes me excited.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 pm

MrKleen,

I'll quibble a bit about dismissing the entire list -- Millsap is a steal at that price, and Monta Ellis has become quite a good (and less selfish) player in Dallas -- but you and I have agreed in the past that Green is well worth his salary compared to players with similar salaries.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Monte Ellis and Millsap are both good players and likely both up for significant pay raises in the coming year. Ellis in particular took a discount on the final year (he was making 11 million per as of last year).

I like Millsap as well, but with Jared Sullinger being 7 years younger - I think we have already have the PF with greater upside.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:04 pm

It's rather disappointing to see the Boston Celtics become a repository of human assets who are there for the plucking by any team with a draft pick to offer. I realize Danny must have a plan, but a pile of draft picks (many of which are protected or won't be high picks) can't play defense or hit a jumper. The more of this team's core he trades away for no human assets in return (and I'd include Sully, Kelly, Green, Bradley, Zeller, Bass and Smart to be that core right now), the longer it will take to rebuild, even if he's lucky enough to add one stud a year over the next several years. And I'm talking some serious luck.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:12 pm

^^ Totally agree with Sam.

If you keep tearing a house down to the foundation, you really cant refer to yourself as a builder. A demolitions expert maybe, but contractor and builder of sustainable properties (or teams in this case) - not so much.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:20 pm

kdp, thanks for the chart. It makes Danny's plans perfectly clear.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Its more than just his 9.2 mil. With Green of the books the Celts figure to be about 20 mil below the cap. And its more than just free agency that the Celts can take advantage of if they were to be 20 mil below the cap. Trades with teams looking to down size their pay rolls could present the Celts with the chance to acquire very talented and pricey players for draft picks. (Matching salaries not required by the Celts as long as they stay below the salary cap) I think that Ainge is thinking down the road a couple years or more. A well rounded portfolio of draft picks and cap space for wheeling and dealing just might be the route that Danny is planning to travel.

swish

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Once the trade was made to send both PP and KG to the Nets the stage was set for a complete rebuild.

Many of us envisioned that the team could become competitive rather quickly with the addition of a decent defensive minded center and another offensive option.  The summer passed with no significant upgrades in those areas.

The Rondo trade may have opened the floods gates comnpletely.

Think of it this way.  A killer is on trial for murdering  a group of people that were together in the same house.  When asked why he killed everybody, he responded that they were home.

The Core has changed and that core may no longer include Jeff Green, Bass, Thornton and even Avery Bradley.  The new core is a young core of players that are 0-3 years in the league.

Brad Stevens will be better able to take a young team further than a team of veterans that will not or cannot change the way they play basketball.

I think that danny intends to use the same formula that he used to put together the 07-08 team.  The danger of trading Rondo and maybe now even Green is that you do not have that one player on the roster who is well respected throughout the league and by virtue of that respect, becomes a magnet for other players to join the Celtics and/or agree to resign if they are traded to Boston.  We had our pillar in paul pierce.  There is no pillar in place now.

If picks are used to get veteran player those players must be an upgrade over a Rajon Rondo or a Jeff Green.  If they are not then there will be plenty of concerns about what Danny is doing.

We may very well end up with one of the youngest and most inexperienced teams in the NBA over the next 3-5 years.  

The key to the future success is for Danny to knock the ball out of the park with draft picks.  He needs to be on his game and make really good selections.  Hopefully within that group we are able to draft a player that can become the face of this franchise.

I think it would be in the best interest of the team to move JG before the February trading deadline.  And I would not accept some half broke down veteran unless his contract also expires this year.

When you become a seller your return will be lower.  That is where the Celtics are right now.  They are selling players to acquire draft picks where the value of those picks has yet to be determined.  The picks could yield a great return or those picks may be worthless.

It is a dangerous game being played out here.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm

since we've gone there, here is a pretty good list of FA's the next two years.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11377133/nba-free-agents-2015-2016

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:59 pm

dboss wrote:I think that danny intends to use the same formula that he used to put together the 07-08 team.  The danger of trading Rondo and maybe now even Green is that you do not have that one player on the roster who is well respected throughout the league and by virtue of that respect, becomes a magnet for other players to join the Celtics and/or agree to resign if they are traded to Boston.  We had our pillar in paul pierce.  There is no pillar in place now.

Exactly right....he cannot use the same formula, as he has no veterans worth building around...particularly if he dumps Green and Bradley next.

Young teams dont win NBA championships. Looks like we are in it for the long haul

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:09 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:
dboss wrote:I think that danny intends to use the same formula that he used to put together the 07-08 team.  The danger of trading Rondo and maybe now even Green is that you do not have that one player on the roster who is well respected throughout the league and by virtue of that respect, becomes a magnet for other players to join the Celtics and/or agree to resign if they are traded to Boston.  We had our pillar in paul pierce.  There is no pillar in place now.

Exactly right....he cannot use the same formula, as he has no veterans worth building around...particularly if he dumps Green and Bradley next.

Young teams dont win NBA championships.  Looks like we are in it for the long haul

\\Kleen

Yes this will be a long process. In that regards Brad is the perfect coach for that. The young coach and young team will have an opportunity to grow together and learn from one another.

I think most Celtics fans can live with that as long as e see them play with the passion that was on display last night against the Nets.

By the way I read that D Williams is out indefinitely with broken rib. I saw when he bent over last night. It seems as though he has turned into a very fragile player.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

dboss,

Do you know of any team that has acquired as many high-profile players as the Nets—only to find that the "returns" were not nearly what had been hoped?

And do you know any city that can top Boston's fan base loyalty through thick and thin?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Cap space for free agents is overrated. It is better to keep the cap tank full and use contracts to trade for known entities than it is to try to entice quality free agents to come to Boston.

With the full bag of tricks that he has, Danny can make deals in the next couple years that would surprise many. He will stay under the luxury tax apron in order to keep even more options open, but actually staying under the salary cap is a poor strategy (unless you have a plan in place, a pre-arranged agreement if you will, like Miami did when LeBron and Bosh joined Wade).

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Hear hear, gyso. I'll take human resources every time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:22 pm

found this interesting tidbit...

Zach Lowe: Aside to @ESPNSteinLine report on MEM/Green: Cavs/Bos/MEM had talked re 3-teamer that would have sent JG to MEM, Koufos to CLE, picks to BOS. Obviously, Mozgov trade neuters that. Twitter @ZachLowe_NBA

Rumors tagsBoston Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers, Memphis Grizzlies, Trade, Kosta Koufos, Jeff Green  
- See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/jeff_green#sthash.bH646Oei.dpuf

Looks lie Ainge definitely is looking for more picks.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:42 pm

sam wrote:It's rather disappointing to see the Boston Celtics become a repository of human assets who are there for the plucking by any team with a draft pick to offer.  I realize Danny must have a plan, but a pile of draft picks (many of which are protected or won't be high picks) can't play defense or hit a jumper.  The more of this team's core he trades away for no human assets in return (and I'd include Sully, Kelly, Green, Bradley, Zeller, Bass and Smart to be that core right now), the longer it will take to rebuild, even if he's lucky enough to add one stud a year over the next several years.  And I'm talking some serious luck.

Sam

finally a voice of reason, the Rondo seal sucked, 3 spare parts for Rondo, are you kidding me? Ainge is terrible and has been for awhile.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next