+4
swedeinestonia
Sam
rambone
bobheckler
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Post Game Playoffs - Vegas League vs Blazers - Page 3 Empty Re: Post Game Playoffs - Vegas League vs Blazers

Post by Sam Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:18 pm

Worcester,

Thanks for the kudos. Actually, I too frequently stoop to sarcasm, which I consider the lowest form of humor. I know for sure, my use of sarcasm was honed during the BDC days, when you could sometimes get off a good shot at someone by couching it in sarcasm.

I liken sarcasm in a poster to what I call resorting to "easy news" by the media. In my book sarcasm is the closest thing to a cheap shot.

So, although the urge to share some really good sarcasm sometimes overflows my sense of values, I'm really trying to stifle it unless it is obviously of good-natured intent and is not putting anyone down.

It's a struggle, especially when one posts a lot.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post Game Playoffs - Vegas League vs Blazers - Page 3 Empty Re: Post Game Playoffs - Vegas League vs Blazers

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:47 pm

Sam, sometimes the sarcasm provides the humorous leavening to make the cake rise.

The bit about Rondo compared to Cousy was hilarious. I wish I still had it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:26 pm

W,

Hey, I wish we still had Cousy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Cousy wishes he still had Mrs. Cousy.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:30 pm

If Cooz is getting out at all, it's really low key. He's 86, and he went into absolute isolation (except for a few trusted individuals like his daughters) when Missy passed away. I've been really lucky to have had so many of my most admired figures live long after their playing days. But, as Frank said, "But now the days are short. I'm in the autumn of the year." And most of those most admired figures are in deep winter. But I believe no one truly dies until all of those (s)he touched have also gone. That's motivation enough for me to aspire to live forever.

Sam

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:17 pm

"Death once dead there's no more dying then."
Shakespeare?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:30 pm

dboss

I don't know if Docs offense is not as good or worse than Stevens, it might even be better as Docs offense was run by 3 HoFers and a pass first PG in his prime. I know our strength was as a defensive team, but when you have 3 HoFers in an offense, even Doc couldn't mess it up too bad. Avery's percentages were never quite as good as his second year, so getting open looks and backdoor cuts might have been alot easier for him playing off of the Big 3 compared to now, when he has to create more on his own in Brads structured offense.

On Smart I haven't given up on him as a PG, although some might consider him a combo guard. He has shown much more command of the offense compared to last year in SL, I think he has the work ethic to add many elements to his game.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:44 pm

sam wrote:Thank you, Cow.  I've been enjoying your back-and-forth with TJ on the first sticky thread.  It's definitely a relief to have some actual action on which to base our discussions, right?  Even the disagreements seem so much better-informed than when we're mainly exchanging opinions.

Sam

right Sam, glad we got to see a glimpse of our draft in the SL. After the initial shock of still no new center prospect, the young players definitely grew on me, they could develop into good players, will be fun to see them play/develop at the next level.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:43 pm

Cow, do you have your wife writing your posts now? They seem so intelligent and well reasoned. Very perceptive that Rondo had 3 HOF'ers to create that offense with...hard for Doc to mess that up. He may very well have 3 HOF'ers on the Clippers now...Chris, Paul, and Blake.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:50 pm

worse really? I'm just calling it the way I see it, I know Sam and I disagreed about some kind of context, but I'm just calling things the same more or less. On the offense, Stevens is probably more modern and with our present personnel you couldn't run Docs same offense, it just would be a terrible mix. But with 3 HoFers sharing the ball, you can simplify the offense and cater it to their strengths, which Doc did.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:53 pm

Cow, I wasn't being sarcastic. I totally agree with your viewpoints 100%. I just didn't want to sound like i had a man crush on you.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:06 pm

Cow, Worcester is right (although I don't expect you have a ghost writer). Your posting style has definitely changed during the past month-or-so. Yes, you're still calling them as you see them. But the way you support your opinions utilizes much more logic, more relevant facts, virtually no personal comments, and far less emotion. Your credibility has been strengthened accordingly.

Nicely done.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rambone Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:13 pm

What a joy and gift this summer league was. Or should I say leagues. And then it got even better. We were in the Playoffs! Playoffs? Playoffs! #2 seed in the playoffs, undefeated regular season even.

I can now definitely wait until October now. No prob.

rambone

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Sam worse

I can actually relate to rambone.

As you guys know I like hard nosed physical defense, the KG-Pierce Celtics were a living embodiment of that, I loved it when they won ugly, which was quite often. I was hurt when that team was broken up, the defense in 11 after Perk left paled in comparison to having twin terrors Perk and KG tag teaming the paint.

So I would defend Perk whenever I felt he was slighted and I would bash Danny for making us have to go thru Jeff Green's disappointment era for 5 years. The guy had a talent for wearing out his welcome at how many franchises now? I'm still not happy that Danny passed on Rudy Gobert.....after I said he'd be my top pick that year and we need a big, duh, but this years draft is growing on me. Maybe theres some hope for me? if only we could get a legit big man....how do you guys put up with me?

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:54 pm

Cow, my dear mother was just like you with my dad. Always right, and she reminded him of it repeatedly. Lucky for him he was a quick learner.

No doubt trading Perk for Jeff Green hurt us, but Danny has hit a lot of homers too so i forgive him. How did Doc not talk him out of it? Sure could use that RP though. Rim Protector.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:52 pm

worse I remember reading how shocked team was when they first heard about the trade, team was so shocked in that lockeroom, they couldn't believe it. I think Danny pulled off that trade without anyone knowing about it. Some say Danny was impatient and tired of waiting for Perk to sign the new contract that year. If he just waited till the end of season, I'm sure KG and Pierce would have talked Perk into taking alittle less, as Perk bled green, loved Rondo and all his teammates.

One of the biggest shames in Celtic history is that team only winning one title.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Yeah, that was a 3 title team that came so close.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:07 am

all my NYC friends that I run/hang with were calling me, saying they couldn't believe how Celtics just weakend themselves.....I was sick and still am about everything about that trade.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:46 am

Sam, Rambone, et al: Just want to say I read closely every day, and with no video feed for summer games, I depend on your assessments. It was getting a little testy because so many here bleed green; glad to see we're ratcheting down.
After being on this board a few years, after others at bdc, I've come to observe summer fan condition (SFC), where this time every year, hopes rise and we climb into the gm chairs in our minds. If this player improves his handle, and the other one cuts his weight, and that would-be star finally gets it, we're off to the races...
As to the particulars of the debate on this thread, I find Rambone's analysis fresh and challenging to my basketball view. I was a big Rondo fan, even excusing lapses because it seemed he would rise to the occasion and not rise when it was in his team's longer term interest. I'm rethinking all that, having watched him wither in Dallas like a petulant child.
I was a Green fan until it wore me out and I've come around to Cowens' view that some trades are toxic, no matter how much talent the new arrival has. You can't create heart, and can't win without it. It seems our new group has heart, so I'm upbeat. Come December, I may take all this back if we're not at least playing .500 ball and the wintry tired fanfare (WTF) kicks in. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:56 am

Cow, it's never been a matter of "putting up" with you. We all have our pet peeves and favorite memories—many of them at least as passionate as your stand on the Perk/Ainge situation. And hopefully this board provides an opportunity to share and discuss them.

But, once a topic has been raised by the same poster again and again, it becomes mainly a vehicle for the poster to vent continually to fuel what eventually becomes a personal agenda. Perhaps that holds the interest of some posters, but I can tell you that there are those who find it off-putting or, perhaps worse, either ignore it or trivialize it as just a personal vendetta.

Based on your contributions of the past month-or-so, you have so much to offer the board by focusing on the Celtics of the present. But rest assured that virtually every board "regular" is well aware of your feelings about Perk and Ainge.

And, as for any instances of apparent antipathy between us, there isn't any! But I do take the moderating job VERY seriously. It involves a LOT more than looking for offensive words and lack of civility. Sometimes I have to wear the hat of one who moderates, in the sense of keeping the overall mood of the board on a reasonably even keel.

I'm sure I don't always balance the dual roles of poster and moderator perfectly (not even close), but I try like hell! And there have been a couple of somewhat inflammatory situations during the past couple of months that, had they gone so badly that someone left the board, I would have blamed solely on myself. But things seem to have worked out reasonably well in both cases. So that's a good thing.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:00 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Sam worse

I can actually relate to rambone.

As you guys know I like hard nosed physical defense, the KG-Pierce Celtics were a living embodiment of that, I loved it when they won ugly, which was quite often. I was hurt when that team was broken up, the defense in 11 after Perk left paled in comparison to having twin terrors Perk and KG tag teaming the paint.

So I would defend Perk whenever I felt he was slighted and I would bash Danny for making us have to go thru Jeff Green's disappointment era for 5 years. The guy had a talent for wearing out his welcome at how many franchises now? I'm still not happy that Danny passed on Rudy Gobert.....after I said he'd be my top pick that year and we need a big, duh, but this years draft is growing on me. Maybe theres some hope for me? if only we could get a legit big man....how do you guys put up with me?

cow

cow,

Some of us "put up with you" so we can hang out with you whenever we're in NYC. :-)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:26 pm

Sam I knew there was no hard feelings between us, we actually agree on most points and issues. I actually think your as hard headed as me, as you will outwork anyone with factual information and compelling points in defending any aspect of the 60's Russell Celtics, while I didn't agree with you on certain points like physicality of the game, I still have to respect your commitment and passion.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Cow,

But I almost never bring up the subject of the old Celtics, and that's by design. I respond factually rather than emotionally, because it's pretty easy to prove my points about those teams without getting emotional about it—despite the lack of stats on that era. And yes, when I'm quite sure I'm right, I do put in whatever effort is required to offer proof rather than just opinion.

Onward toward next season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3