Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

+8
k_j_88
cowens/oldschool
Matty
swish
Outside
kdp59
dboss
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins? - Page 2 Empty Re: Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:19 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/11/boston_celtics_rumors_2015_tea_3.html

Boston Celtics rumors 2015: Team does not consider DeMarcus Cousins worth the risk, according to report

Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins? - Page 2 19173629-mmmain
DeMarcus Cousins
Sacramento Kings forward DeMarcus Cousins reacts after being knocked to the floor during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the San Antonio Spurs in Sacramento, Calif., Monday, Nov. 9, 2015. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)

Jay King | mjking@masslive.com By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com

on November 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Stomping on recent DeMarcus Cousins speculation, the Boston Herald's Steve Bulpett reported Sunday that the Boston Celtics are not ready to gamble on the petulant star center.

Everybody knows Cousins can play. But if he does hit the market, the Sacramento Kings would ask for a whole lot. Bulpett doesn't think the Celtics would trade the Brooklyn Nets pick for a guy with so many question marks. The scribe wrote it is "evidently more a matter of being wary about his behavioral issues and not wanting to take the risk at Sacramento's price."

"I can't see Danny (Ainge) giving that thing up unless it's for a sure thing," one league source told Bulpett. "And Cousins is so far from that. Hey, the guy could get into the right situation and become a team-first guy who just goes out and does his job every night and doesn't cause a problem. But do you want to bet on that?"

The Cousins chatter started last week when several reports indicated the Kings are as crazy as ever. Their organizational dysfunction could drive them to at least examine the Cousins market, but in the past they have asked for too much. According to Bulpett (and old reports), Sacramento wanted the No. 2 overall pick and Julius Randle in trade talks with Los Angeles last summer. In Celtics terms, that would be like wanting the Brooklyn pick and Marcus Smart.

No thanks, right?

During a 98.5 The Sports Hub interview a few days ago, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said the Celtics will "consider all talented players."

"But what is the price?" he asked. "Who are the players that we have around to support? All of that is (considered) when we have trade talks."

Bulpett said the Celtics and Kings have not had any discussions about Cousins. So, Boston fans may want to start dreaming of some other star.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins? - Page 2 Empty Re: Would Celtics consider trading picks for DeMarcus Cousins?

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:23 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celtics/2015/11/risk_price_tag_of_demarcus_cousins_seem_too_steep_for_celtics

Risk, price tag of DeMarcus Cousins seem too steep for Celtics

Steve Bulpett Sunday, November 15, 2015

All this DeMarcus Cousins trade talk figures to get pretty crazy before it’s all said and done — though maybe not as crazy as Cousins himself.

In the meantime, it might be helpful to meet up with reality for a cup of coffee, lest Celtics followers drive out too far on a bridge to nowhere.

First of all, it’s important to note that, contrary to reports over the last year, multiple sources on both sides of the country confirm the Celts have yet to have a single conversation with the Kings regarding the talented but emotional Mr. Cousins.

It’s not that the Celtics, who open a two-game trip to Oklahoma City and Houston today, don’t realize Cousins can really play. It’s evidently more a matter of being wary about his behavioral issues and not wanting to take the risk at Sacramento’s price.

So how do the Celts know the Kings’ asking price if they haven’t had talks? Because, said one league source, they’ve seen what Sacramento has sought for Cousins elsewhere. And because the clubs obviously don’t feel there is room for discussion.

“I still don’t think they really even want to move him unless they can get something ridiculous,” said one league exec. “They’ve got him locked up, and it’s not easy to get good players to go to Sacramento.”

Added a general manager from the West, “Leaving his problems out of it for a second, there’s no question the kid is good. But they’ve had him way overpriced. I don’t even want to think about what they’d want from Boston.

“You know what they asked the Lakers for? The No. 2 (overall) pick last draft, the one the Lakers used on DeAngelo Russell, and the Lakers’ top pick from the year before, (Julius) Randle.

“Do you believe that?”

In fact, yes. That kind of valuation fits well with the fact the Kings have seemed to treat Cousins’ deviations from proper decorum as the fault of someone else. Several reports have the 6-foot-11 center launching a verbal blast at coach George Karl after Monday’s loss to San Antonio, and when Karl sought to have Cousins suspended, the request was denied by general manager Vlade Divac.

Since then, the Kings have beaten Detroit and the Nets, and Cousins has averaged 36.5 points and 11 rebounds. There is, for now, peace in the valley. But no one believes that will last.

While Sacramento has bowed to Cousins’ talent and potential thus far, one would think it has to begin investigating what it can get in return. Either that, or the Kings can burn through a few more coaches.

So what do you do if you’re the Celtics? What’s the correct level of interest, if, indeed, there should be any at all?

To begin, we can surmise that the first-round pick from the Nets next June is out of the question.

“I can’t see Danny (Ainge) giving that thing up unless it’s for a sure thing,” said one league source. “And Cousins is so far from that. Hey, the guy could get into the right situation and become a team-first guy who just goes out and does his job every night and doesn’t cause a problem. But do you want to bet on that?”

Ainge said in a radio interview this week that, of course, the Celtics keep tabs on everyone in the league. “Listen,” he told 98.5 the Sports Hub in his scheduled appearance, “we consider all talented players. But what is the price?”

The thinking here is that the Celts would be willing to part with the first-round pick coming from Dallas (in the deal for Rajon Rondo, who’s now Cousins’ teammate). That choice is protected to seven, so the C’s know they won’t be getting a top-of-the-lottery attraction. It would be a great move for them if Cousins pans out and a not so bad loss if he doesn’t.

And there is a grand total of no one who thinks the Kings would ever go for it.

Sacramento has Cousins under contract for two more years after this at roughly $17 million and $18 million. It’s likely Divac and the clumsy Kings’ ownership will just ride this out as the walls go up on their new downtown arena.

Ainge would certainly have to be interested, if the Kings’ asking price accurately reflected the risk Cousins presents. Until that happens — and it’s not expected to — this is a non-issue for the Celtics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:32 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Didn't know that last stat swish, his 3 point% is more fuel that he could fit into Brads system, believe me Brad could find alot of ways to utilize a player like this.

Ohhhh Yeahhhh.

I would give up Sully (and others, including Smart, and a ton of picks) for him.  I love Sully but Cousins is Sully except right-sized for center.  That would definitely fix our starting center problem.

bob

don't think it will happen, but a load of a 5 like Cousins would look great next to a young athletic shot blocking PF like Mickey....we could be set at 2 positions for the next 10 years.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:32 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Didn't know that last stat swish, his 3 point% is more fuel that he could fit into Brads system, believe me Brad could find alot of ways to utilize a player like this.

Ohhhh Yeahhhh.

I would give up Sully (and others, including Smart, and a ton of picks) for him.  I love Sully but Cousins is Sully except right-sized for center.  That would definitely fix our starting center problem.

bob

don't think it will happen, but a load of a 5 like Cousins would look great next to a young athletic shot blocking PF like Mickey....we could be set at 2 positions for the next 10 years.

cow,

Or next to a big who can shoot from outside, put the ball on the floor, see over the defense because he's 7' and is a very good passer for a big man.

Not that I have any specific player in mind...

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:08 pm

That 3 pt stat is meaningless............see me in April to really believe he has improved his outside shot.  You are taking a small snap shot to say he is in the league of a Reggie Miller in 3 pt shooting.

Come on ................reality check please!

Cousins is poison ....................no thank you but we got rid of one head case in Rondo, and now you want to add another............Calling Nurse Ratched Nurse Ratched please report to the Celtic locker room ..........Nurse Ratched report immediately!

Back to top Go down

Post by wide clyde Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm

How does anyone know the actual asking price for a guy like Cousins?   If he is behaving himself the asking price will certainly be quite high, but even still until the Kings decide whether they want to trade him to win now or trade him to build for the future no one really knows what they will be looking for in a trade.  

I would say that the Kings probably need to go the 'long term' route at this point because they have not had good results with what they have been doing in the last few years AND by trading their best player the future will not look good for a while either.  If this is the case, I would easily unload a whole pile of the picks that Ainge has at his disposal especially the Cs own picks and some of the other picks as well.  If they were going to give up whatever four picks to draft Winslow, I would certainly give up those four picks to get Cousins as he is not a bigger gamble than a rookie (Winslow) would have been.

And, if he is behaving poorly his risk goes up so his value comes down which means that he will cost even less in players and picks.  If his behavior is bad then there also will be fewer teams looking at trading for him.

Hey, this guy could be just the right coach and right situation from being a model citizen on a good team.  He could also be a big mistake, but with his talent I would probably go after him if I were Ainge and had all of these draft picks sitting in the vault.  

If you are thinking of the value of the Nets pick this year you would have to be considered this pick as a long range type player for the Celtics because they are going to be a good team this year and I would doubt that any 19 year old kid would make much of a difference next year. And, I can guarantee that this same kid will have absolutely no bearing on this season.

Cousins is only 25 years old so he will have a much greater impact very much sooner for the Cs as he may be able to propel them to near the top of the Eastern Conference this season and much further into the playoffs, too. He is also not over paid with three years still left on his contract. If he plays well for the next three years he will get a max contract and likely will deserve it as well.

By the way, very few of the Cs many draft picks will ever suit up for the Cs anyway because the Cs own picks are going to fall lower and lower for the next few years, only a few of the other picks that he has are really going to fall into the top ten in any one year, and about 15 of these picks are second rounders.

wide clyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:39 am

That Nets pick would probably be included in the asking price.  If so, absolutely no deal.  Not even worth the phone call unless the pick looks like it will be out of the top four or five.

No way I trade that pick for Cousins if I have the opportunity to draft Simmons, Labissiere or Ingram.  Especially Labissiere.

3 players we could use in positions where we need a long-term starter; PF, C and SF respectively, although Simmons may be an NBA SF.  All freshmen who look to be one and done, and we have the time to let them develop with current Cs like Smart, Rozier and maybe Thomas.  I'd take the risk on any of them making the transition to the NBA over the total cost for Cousins, especially given that Cousins is already iffy in the mentality department.

Most likely a moot point anyway, since I doubt the Kings will put him on the trading block.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:44 am

I would treat Sac as the rest of the league treated Danny and the Celtics with low ball offers on Rondo when it comes to Cousins.

A first round pick - top 10 protected and one rookie and an expiring contract with Lee.

That's it. Take it or leave it!

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:29 pm

The overall sentiment that I am getting is that while Cousins is a talented player his temperamental nature (marked by excessive sensitivity and impulsive mood changes) would not be of benefit to the Celtics and also the every increasing speculative value of the Nets pick should not be leveraged in this case.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:18 pm

First of all, it’s important to note that, contrary to reports over the last year, multiple sources on both sides of the country confirm the Celts have yet to have a single conversation with the Kings regarding the talented but emotional Mr. Cousins. 2 days ago – via Boston Herald

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2