Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green?

+3
bobheckler
dboss
gyso
7 posters

Go down

Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green? Empty Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green?

Post by gyso Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Report: Prominent Grizzly fed up with Jeff Green

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/01/14/report-prominent-grizzly-fed-up-with-jeff-green/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Jeff Green‘s stint with the Grizzlies has been a major disappointment.

It came to a head Tuesday in Memphis’ loss to the Rockets.

Green started, but he missed both his shots and didn’t grab any rebounds in 15 first-half minutes. Memphis got outscored by 10 points with him on the court.

He didn’t play at all in the second half.

Ronald Tillery of The Commercial Appeal:

“Jeff hasn’t gotten it done, and he’s shooting very poorly over the last six games. His attitude hasn’t been the best. He’s not playing very well defensively.

And I know of a guy who matters in that locker room that wanted to wring his neck last night.”

After a play? Tillery:

“No. I was told, point blank. I was told, point blank, by a guy in that locker room who matters that Jeff doesn’t care.”

Speculating, that sounds like Marc Gasol, Zach Randolph, Mike Conley or Tony Allen. They’re the team’s leaders.

And if they feel that way – fairly or not – it made sense for Grizzlies coach Dave Joerger to sit Green. Joerger shouldn’t risk alienating other players for Green.

But that’s just a short-term solution.

Even with Green struggling, Memphis will have a tough time filling wing minutes with just Courtney Lee, Matt Barnes, Allen and Vince Carter. That’s especially true because the Grizzlies now go smaller and start three of them.

Joerger must find a compromise – getting Green to play hard enough to justify minutes and convincing his teammates to accept reduced expectations for someone who was supposed to take Memphis to the next level. The Grizzlies don’t need Green to be a star to play him. They just need him to be decent. That’s enough for a first step back on track.

In the long run, they can – as Green’s previous teams have done – hope he form the intriguing elements of his game into a complete package. Failing that – as Green’s previous teams have done – they can look into trading him.

Report: Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-says-memphis-grizzlies-fed-up-with-ex-celtic-jeff-green

BOSTON – Jeff Green never established a comfort level during his time in Boston, but a change of scenery – to Memphis via a trade last season – appears to be an even worst fit.

Green had yet another disappearing act-like performance which ended with a loss to Houston, prompting at least one “prominent” teammate to question his commitment to the game.

From longtime Grizzlies beat writer Ron Tillery on his podcast:

“I was told, point blank, by a guy in that locker room who matters that Jeff doesn’t care."

'And I know of a guy who matters in that locker room that wanted to wring his neck last night” after Green was benched following a 0-for-2 shooting, zero-rebound first-half performance Tuesday night in a loss to the Houston Rockets.

And while there’s a part of you that wants to dismiss such comments, the unnamed teammate wouldn’t be the first to wonder just how devoted Green is to playing this game at a high level.

It’s not all that unusual for players to have bad nights, but Green’s bad games tend to be more about a lack of effort than an opponent’s game plan.

That’s why the idea of him not caring, really isn’t all that far-fetched. In the latter stages of his time in Boston, he was known to be moody which didn’t always sit well with others who would watch him play and like Memphis, be underwhelmed with his play and attitude.

Fortunately for the Celtics, that’s not an issue that they have to worry about any longer.

Boston acquired him in 2011 in part to help bridge the gap that would be created when Paul Pierce was no longer a Celtic.

Still, there were far too many highs and lows with Green’s game to the point where the Celtics (and Memphis you can bet is trending in this direction now) thought it was best to close that chapter and move on.

It seems a similar narrative is being written about Green now.

Back to top Go down

Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green? Empty Re: Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green?

Post by dboss Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Jeff could never get it done.

He is not even missed a little bit.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green? Empty Re: Grizzlies fed up with ex-Celtic Jeff Green?

Post by bobheckler Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:22 pm

As Gomer Pyle used to say "Su-prise!  Su-prise!  Su-prise!".

So, the deal turned out to be Jeff Green for Jonas and Memphis' 2018 1st round pick (protected 1-12) and a LA Clippers 2017 2nd round pick (when they moved Austin Rivers to LAC).  When you ignore all the short-term rentals passing through like Tayshaun Prince and Gigi that's what it came down to, Jeff Green for Jonas, a 1st and a 2nd.

Not bad for a player nobody wants.

As far as the Memphis 1st, and how likely it is it will be close to, but not at, #12:

Marc Gasol is going to be 31 in 2 weeks.  He is under contract for big bucks until 2019-2020 (he'll be turning 34 in January the year this pick comes due). A lot of players are coming off contracts after this year.  Some will probably be renewed, like Conley, but there is likely to be a large influx of new talent.  In other words, with the aging Tony Allen and Zack Randolph fading into their sunsets, a rebuild.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:02 pm

Green always seemed to be a great guy, but for some reason never came close to playing to the level of his physical talents. When in Boston, he was never a problem (other than his terrible inconsistency of play), the coaches always spoke highly of him and his teammates seemed to like him as well.

I never thought of dboss's vision of Green never being missed, but he is spot on.
After reading his post, I realized that I have not missed Jeff Green from the Cs even once in any passing thought.

I guess there is something to be said for needing more than just physical talent to fully succeed in the world of the NBA.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:03 am

Hes gonna be out of this league real soon, he has NO trade value, he unravels teams anywhere he goes.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 am

Not every one burns with the desire to be the best and that holds true in all endeavors. Perhaps he has other things in life that matter more to him.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:03 am

I always admired the way he worked his ass off to come back from his major heart ailment and rooted hard for him to be the explosive, high-flying, athletic small forward we've always seemed to lack ever since the tragedy of Len Bias but he was the most infuriating Celtic I think I've ever watched.  It seemed every time he would have a great game (and those were maddeningly infrequent) or a couple solid games in a row, he would throw in a no-show stinker, shooting 1 for 8 with three or four points, one or two rebounds and no assists and be mostly responsible for a Celtic loss.  Drove me nuts.  He has to be one of the most underachieving but physically gifted players to ever play the game.  

There was a poster on here who I always argued with about Jeff who routinely claimed he was a a top three or four small forward in the league, a definite all-star in the making and a cornerstone of our future.  My stats, in a rating system I developed 35 years ago which I sold to the NBA, showed he ranked around 25th at his position and was solidly below the league average in overall productivity.  Can't remember who that poster was but I'm thinking it was Mr. Kleen who I haven't seen on here for awhile.  But then I might be wrong.  Whoever it was, I remember lots of back and forth with the guy about how dreadful I thought Jeff's game was most of the time, and his numbers proved it.  Whoever that was, he was always going on about how Green was UNDERPAID compared to other small forwards in the league.  Two of them he kept on putting down in comparison to Green were Milwaukee's Greek Freak and Nicolas Batum, both players who are far superior to Jeff at his position.  Believe it or not, at just under 30 years old - and a time he should be IN HIS PRIME, Jeff is shooting FG's at a career low (40.6%), shooting threes at a career low (27.3%) and scoring at a career low per minute.  He had a poor year last year for Memphis and he's significantly worse this year.  

it's pretty shocking to imagine when you watch what a physical specimen he is and what a sweet stroke he has when he actually hits a few bombs but his NBA career could actually be over.  He's in the last year of his contract paying him $9.2 million.  

Who's going to sign him as a free agent next year?  And if so, how much more than the veteran's minimun do you think he could get when he's going to start next season on the other side of 30?

Maybe he'll go to China and average 35 points and 15 rebounds and have a harem of Chinese groupie-fans screaming his name.  It happened for Stephon Marbury.  And I would have thought THAT would have been impossible.  So there's still hoops hope for Jeff.  Just not in the NBA any more in all liklihood.  He killed that.  And not in a good way...

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down