swish
dboss
steve3344
tjmakz
bobheckler
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Checking In On The Dallas Draft Pick - Page 4 Empty Re: Checking In On The Dallas Draft Pick

Post by Outside Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:17 pm

rickdavisakaspike wrote:
Outside wrote:Cow isn't the only one who should have neck issues. I think I have whiplash from all the turns this thread has taken.

rickdavisakaspike wrote:
Lastly, maybe cow hasn't noticed, but Bogert turns into yogurt in the key moments of games. Give me a player who rises to the challenge, who gets better when the going gets tough. There's that word again.

I'm confused -- you're talking about Gobert, not Bogut, right? Because I don't think anyone has accused Bogut of not having toughness.

Now my neck hurts and my head hurts.

This is unfreakingbelievable.  My first post in months and what do I get?  Ridicule.  Cheapshots, sneaky, slimey cheapshots, from the same guy whose sniping attacks chased me off the board six months ago.  What is it with you, Outside?  Are you channeling your inner Laimbeer?  Haven't you ever heard of conviviality?  It's something we cultivate here, as opposed to say, public humiliation.  

Here's a clue for you, Outside:  I'm not going to quietly accept any more of your bullying.  I took it before because I didn't consider you worth arguing with, but from now on, every time you try it, I'm going to call you on it.

Cowens and bobh poke fun at each other because they're old friends and it's all innocent and good-natured.  That's why bobh can get away with telling cowens he should have neck issues.

But you, of all people, have no right to make fun of me or anybody else on this board.  You know nothing of me and what I know of you doesn't bear repeating.

So, in the interests of conviviality, l'lll lend you a little advice, because I believe it explains exactly what your problem is:  God don't like ugly.

First off, let me apologize. I had no idea that I rubbed you the wrong way. I had absolutely no clue whatsoever that I was a sore spot for you. I can say without reservation that it was completely unintentional.

I have a particular style of humor. From time to time, it becomes apparent that it doesn't always come across as intended. The above post that you quoted, for example, was intended to have a jovial, fun tone. I am sorry that it wasn't received that way. As for the portion that was a response to your post, I don't see how that could be construed as bullying, but you obviously feel that way.

Until this point, if anyone had asked me my opinion of you, it would've been a generally positive one, and while I couldn't recall any particular interactions between the two of us of note, that you're one of the many people who make this a great community. To get this kind of response from you is truly out of the blue.

I'm sorry you feel this way. To help avoid any future misunderstandings, I'll make a point to not respond to any of your posts. I hope that helps.

Also, to anyone else who I happen to irk in some way, please don't hesitate to let me know. A conversation earlier on would help make me aware of something before it builds up.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Checking In On The Dallas Draft Pick - Page 4 Empty Re: Checking In On The Dallas Draft Pick

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm

bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:hey bob, glad you cut out and missed the game, KO would have given you agita. This game shows excactly what we have in KO, he scored 8 points in 1st quarter with some clever offense and a few 3's, then completely disappears, finishes with 0 rebounds and his usual non impactful defense. KO's occasional offensive outbursts are not frequent enough to overcome his defensive shortcomings. Its so obvious in a tight physical intense playoff game, which are coming up, I wouldn't want that kind of ineffective player on the floor. It is so obvious to me how much more Gobert's length and defense can impact a game more than KO's game and occasional offensive competence.....okay he ran the floor for 2 once, which you mentioned on the Game On thread, hit a couple 3's and did nothing both ends when Blazers took control at end of 3rd and beginning of 4th. Zero rebounds? not the kind of player I want to go to war with.

Cow,

You're asking if I'd trade a back up PF/ and a player who has played a total of 528 minutes in almost 2 years for someone's starting center and starting SG.  I don't care whose starting center and starting SG you're talking about, you've got 28 other teams to choose from, I'd almost certainly make that trade.

How about starters for starters?  

Would you trade Gobert and Hood for Sully and Bradley?

bob

Oh I don't know....I love Bradleys defense and you should have heard Blazer announcers raving about his defense, how he was shutting down Lillard, so defeintely not for Hood , who has a very good offensive game already. I want to see Sully and Gobert play together, I like them both. Boy would this team be stacked and ready for Cleveland RIGHT NOW if Ainge was better at drafting.

Cow,

Oh.  So when the choices aren't a back up and a D-leaguer for two starters you're not as gung ho, huh?  When you have to trade like-for-like then you don't see the Utah roster as being an upgrade.  Whatever happened to all that love for Gobert and Hood?  What happened is you're not trading a rotation player and a spare part for quality anymore, that's what.

Where's the pace-and-space if you have Sully and Gobert on the floor together, Mr. "I know it's a new NBA"?  Sully's shooting 35% from straightaway beyond the frito line to the 3pt arc.  That's not much range in today's NBA.  Gobert, of course, can't buy a basket if he can't dunk it.  On defense, if Sully goes into the low blocks and Gobert goes high post NOBODY will follow Gobert out there.  They'll sandwich Sully because Gobert is useless outside 4'.  On offense they will run their fat (in Sully's case), or skinny (in Gobert's case), legs off.  Easy buckets because your two staunch defenders won't be anywhere near the ball.  They'll still be laboring to get over mid-court as the ball goes through the net.    

You are asking for a team that clogs the paint, like the old NBA did, not like the new NBA is going.  You keep saying that you "get it" but you keep wanting to build a team as if you don't.  

What this really is, and has been, is just your normal bitch about Danny's drafting.  That's why you are matching up Gobert with Kelly and Hood with Young.  You're like a dog with a bone, you just won't let it go.

What I never seem to be able to get you to do is to acknowledge that when players like Gobert (#27) and Jordan (#35) turn out well they are the exceptions to the rule.  Most players picked that low do not make it, a very low percentage.  Pointing out that Danny missed that needle in the haystack is fine but then you should look at every other GM who missed it too and wonder if drafting isn't as reliable a science, once you get past the first few picks, you seem to believe it is or should be.  How many teams could have picked those players but didn't?  Gobert was drafted by the Nuggets who traded him on draft day.  Danny traded for Leon Powe (#49)and Big Baby (#35) and Rondo (#21) on draft day.  How about giving Danny some credit for those?  He drafted Bradley, the guy you wouldn't give up for Hood, as a one-and-doner out of Texas at 19.  He drafted Sully, your guy.  How about balancing the books by giving him some credit for those?  

Rudy Gobert is 7'1", 245#, with a 7'8+ wingspan.  Walter Tavares is 7'3", 265#, with a 7'9" wingspan.  Tavares was drafted #45 and is in the D-league.  If it's all about size and beef and wingspan, then he should have been a lottery pick and starting in the NBA right now, right?

I love you Cowens, I really do, but you are the Annointed King of Woulda/Coulda/Shouldas.  I'm amazed you don't have serious cervical issues given how much you look backwards.

bob

bob one last thing, your just picking random starters in a trade scenario, and right now I'm rooting hard for our team and Sully and AB are 2 of my favorite players, so ofcourse I have trouble just agreeing with that trade. The reason I picked Gobert and Hood is because they were 2 players that were RIGHT THERE for the taking, could be wearing green very easily and both happen to address this current rosters weakness, but Danny as you well know passed on them for KO and Young.....that was the point of my post/question to you, it wasn't about any random trade scenario.....got it? and my neck is fine.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:20 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:hey bob, glad you cut out and missed the game, KO would have given you agita. This game shows excactly what we have in KO, he scored 8 points in 1st quarter with some clever offense and a few 3's, then completely disappears, finishes with 0 rebounds and his usual non impactful defense. KO's occasional offensive outbursts are not frequent enough to overcome his defensive shortcomings. Its so obvious in a tight physical intense playoff game, which are coming up, I wouldn't want that kind of ineffective player on the floor. It is so obvious to me how much more Gobert's length and defense can impact a game more than KO's game and occasional offensive competence.....okay he ran the floor for 2 once, which you mentioned on the Game On thread, hit a couple 3's and did nothing both ends when Blazers took control at end of 3rd and beginning of 4th. Zero rebounds? not the kind of player I want to go to war with.

Cow,

You're asking if I'd trade a back up PF/ and a player who has played a total of 528 minutes in almost 2 years for someone's starting center and starting SG.  I don't care whose starting center and starting SG you're talking about, you've got 28 other teams to choose from, I'd almost certainly make that trade.

How about starters for starters?  

Would you trade Gobert and Hood for Sully and Bradley?

bob

Oh I don't know....I love Bradleys defense and you should have heard Blazer announcers raving about his defense, how he was shutting down Lillard, so defeintely not for Hood , who has a very good offensive game already. I want to see Sully and Gobert play together, I like them both. Boy would this team be stacked and ready for Cleveland RIGHT NOW if Ainge was better at drafting.

Cow,

Oh.  So when the choices aren't a back up and a D-leaguer for two starters you're not as gung ho, huh?  When you have to trade like-for-like then you don't see the Utah roster as being an upgrade.  Whatever happened to all that love for Gobert and Hood?  What happened is you're not trading a rotation player and a spare part for quality anymore, that's what.

Where's the pace-and-space if you have Sully and Gobert on the floor together, Mr. "I know it's a new NBA"?  Sully's shooting 35% from straightaway beyond the frito line to the 3pt arc.  That's not much range in today's NBA.  Gobert, of course, can't buy a basket if he can't dunk it.  On defense, if Sully goes into the low blocks and Gobert goes high post NOBODY will follow Gobert out there.  They'll sandwich Sully because Gobert is useless outside 4'.  On offense they will run their fat (in Sully's case), or skinny (in Gobert's case), legs off.  Easy buckets because your two staunch defenders won't be anywhere near the ball.  They'll still be laboring to get over mid-court as the ball goes through the net.    

You are asking for a team that clogs the paint, like the old NBA did, not like the new NBA is going.  You keep saying that you "get it" but you keep wanting to build a team as if you don't.  

What this really is, and has been, is just your normal bitch about Danny's drafting.  That's why you are matching up Gobert with Kelly and Hood with Young.  You're like a dog with a bone, you just won't let it go.

What I never seem to be able to get you to do is to acknowledge that when players like Gobert (#27) and Jordan (#35) turn out well they are the exceptions to the rule.  Most players picked that low do not make it, a very low percentage.  Pointing out that Danny missed that needle in the haystack is fine but then you should look at every other GM who missed it too and wonder if drafting isn't as reliable a science, once you get past the first few picks, you seem to believe it is or should be.  How many teams could have picked those players but didn't?  Gobert was drafted by the Nuggets who traded him on draft day.  Danny traded for Leon Powe (#49)and Big Baby (#35) and Rondo (#21) on draft day.  How about giving Danny some credit for those?  He drafted Bradley, the guy you wouldn't give up for Hood, as a one-and-doner out of Texas at 19.  He drafted Sully, your guy.  How about balancing the books by giving him some credit for those?  

Rudy Gobert is 7'1", 245#, with a 7'8+ wingspan.  Walter Tavares is 7'3", 265#, with a 7'9" wingspan.  Tavares was drafted #45 and is in the D-league.  If it's all about size and beef and wingspan, then he should have been a lottery pick and starting in the NBA right now, right?

I love you Cowens, I really do, but you are the Annointed King of Woulda/Coulda/Shouldas.  I'm amazed you don't have serious cervical issues given how much you look backwards.

bob

bob one last thing, your just picking random starters in a trade scenario, and right now I'm rooting hard for our team and Sully and AB are 2 of my favorite players, so ofcourse I have trouble just agreeing with that trade. The reason I picked Gobert and Hood is because they were 2 players that were RIGHT THERE for the taking, could be wearing green very easily and both happen to address this current rosters weakness, but Danny as you well know passed on them for KO and Young.....that was the point of my post/question to you, it wasn't about any random trade scenario.....got it? and my neck is fine.

cow,

So, I was right.  This really is just you playing Monday morning quarterback with Danny's drafting.

If you are going to fault Danny for not picking those players then you have to fault every non-lottery picking GM for not picking them too.  That puts him in some pretty good company.

I like Swish's idea about starting a thread that lets board members list the college players they think are flying under the radar, as far as the draft selection process goes, but will be good NBA players.  I hope you will come up with a list of college players of your own.  I'll start that thread, if nobody beats me to it, after the season is over for us and our attention will re-focus on the draft.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:36 pm

bob who was clamouring for Gobert BEFORE the draft?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:48 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:bob who was clamouring for Gobert BEFORE the draft?

I was, for one. So were you, I'm just interested in seeing if that was a fluke.

:-)

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:22 am

Houston pissed away a huge game in Dallas tonight with poor execution down the stretch, mainly from Harden, Corey Brewer and Jason Terry.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-drop-crucial-game-to-Mavericks-7233268.php

"The Mavericks sent Jason Terry to the line before he could get a good look at a 3. He made his first free throw, missing the second and tried to draw a foul call as he chased the rebound and time ran out.
That free throw gave the Rockets points on just three of their final 16 possessions of the game as they scored just six points in the final 9:16."

Now Houston needs to win their last four games (fortunately all against lottery teams) while Dallas has to lose at least two and Utah needs to go 3-1 for that Mavs pick to be a lottery pick.  It's a long shot now.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4