Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown

+4
KyleCleric
kdp59
dboss
Sandpd
8 posters

Go down

Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown Empty Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown

Post by Sandpd Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Could Gortat be the "big" the C's want/need for a legitimate run this year? The only conceivable problem is that Washington is in the same Conference and they are probably wary of sending him to Boston.

Depending on what it would cost the C's, other than $ to get him, he would fill a need for an experienced "big" who protects the middle, gets rebounds, and scores. It seems that his value to the Wizards has fallen a lot due to the team's youth movement, sounds similar Okafor's situation in Philly and now the Nets. He could solve a "big" problem as a 1 yr. rental.

With signs of the C's shooting improving lately, i.e., Rozier, Larkin, and yes, even Smart, the tougher need to find and fill is for a "big".

https://hashtagbasketball.com/washington-wizards/content/marcin-gortat-polish-machine-breakdown
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown Empty Re: Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown

Post by dboss Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Sandpd wrote:Could Gortat be the "big" the C's want/need for a legitimate run this year? The only conceivable problem is that Washington is in the same Conference and they are probably wary of sending him to Boston.

Depending on what it would cost the C's, other than $ to get him, he would fill a need for an experienced "big" who protects the middle, gets rebounds, and scores. It seems that his value to the Wizards has fallen a lot due to the team's youth movement, sounds similar Okafor's situation in Philly and now the Nets. He could solve a "big" problem as a 1 yr. rental.

With signs of the C's shooting improving lately, i.e., Rozier, Larkin, and yes, even Smart, the tougher need to find and fill is for a "big".

https://hashtagbasketball.com/washington-wizards/content/marcin-gortat-polish-machine-breakdown

Sand

We could use another center. however adding the soon to be 34 year old Gortat does not make the Celts a legit contender. Also he cannot be a one year rental because he is signed through the end of the 2018-19 season.

Without Hayward the Celtics are not going to be able to win a championship this year.

I know many will disagree but I think Boston will have a tough time getting out of the east against Cleveland, Toronto or Washington with or without Gortat. Hayward's offense would have given the Celtics a better offense and a better chance to contend.

Yes we will need to add another big but Hayward is clearly the missing piece, IMHO

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown Empty Re: Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown

Post by kdp59 Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:45 pm

I live near DC and see the Wizards play on TV a bit.

IMO, Gortat is in the downside.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:56 pm

I would think he'd need to be bought out for us to have a shot at him. I'd be surprised if that happened but maybe after the Wizards trade him for someone who could help them. If it did, he'd be useful. I don't know how we'd trade for him.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Gortot could help the Cs this year whether a championship is possible or not. BUT, he is another guy who just cannot be traded for at this time as he would cost too much in talent and/or draft picks for what he could deliver. Plus, he is not worth using the DPE for at this time, and the Cs would have to use the DPE to add him.

Perhaps if he is dumped by Washington after the trade deadline he could be a nice addition on a vet minimum deal even if he is a little less effective than he was a few years ago as he still will be a 7 ft energy guy who can do exactly what they need (right now) at the center position for limited minutes per game.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Lou Williams is the solution to replacing Hayward this season.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:28 pm

It makes no sense to me for Washington to buy Gortat out.  They are a playoff team this year.  As long as they are a playoff team this year they will keep their starting center so they have hope in the playoffs.

Trading for 34 year old Gortat, who makes $12M this year and more next year, when we have 23 year old Marcus Smart coming up for restricted free agency this summer makes no sense to me.  And how would we match salaries?  We would have to give up at least $9M in salaries.  

Because Gortat is not in his final contract year and makes $12M he is not eligible for the DPE.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:33 pm

wideclyde wrote:Gortot could help the Cs this year whether a championship is possible or not.  BUT, he is another guy who just cannot be traded for at this time as he would cost too much in talent and/or draft picks for what he could deliver.  Plus, he is not worth using the DPE for at this time, and the Cs would have to use the DPE to add him.

Perhaps if he is dumped by Washington after the trade deadline he could be a nice addition on a vet minimum deal even if he is a little less effective than he was a few years ago as he still will be a 7 ft energy guy who can do exactly what they need (right now) at the center position for limited minutes per game.

Celts can't use the DPE on Gortat because Gortat's salary this season is above 8.5m.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

dboss wrote:
Sandpd wrote:Could Gortat be the "big" the C's want/need for a legitimate run this year? The only conceivable problem is that Washington is in the same Conference and they are probably wary of sending him to Boston.

Sand

We could use another center.  however adding the soon to be 34 year old Gortat does not make the Celts a legit contender.  Also he cannot be a one year rental because he is signed through the end of the 2018-19 season.  

Without Hayward the Celtics are not going to be able to win a championship this year.  

I know many will disagree but I think Boston will have a tough time getting out of the east against Cleveland, Toronto or Washington with or without Gortat.  Hayward's offense would have given the Celtics a better offense and a better chance to contend.  

Yes we will need to add another big but Hayward is clearly the missing piece, IMHO

dboss

dboss, my bad about the 1 yr. rental. I am in general agreement with you on the C's chances for this year.

I threw Gortat's name out there merely as food for thought . . .  being able to acquire him may be easier said than done. There may be other/better players to consider, but I haven't yet come across their names.

Yes, Hayward is a missing piece and consequently, his impending return next year may have an influence on who/what Danny pursues this year as he looks ahead - opting for a "big" rather than having a future potential redundancy with another scoring wing. It will remain a question for me if and when Hayward makes a full recovery to his former self when he returns. There's no guarantee or magic formula for that, but I'm on the positive side for his full recovery, knowing his mindset and work ethic. His tolerance to pain will be put to the test with the hardware that he has in his lower leg and ankle; also, whether he regains his full mobility/flexibility and quickness.

Most would say that GS is the team to beat. The C's are right behind GS in the league standings and are leading in the East. Unless we think that we should just concede the title to them, GS will still need to play someone (a legit contender) in the finals. IMHO, the C's are in the conversation when talking about legit contenders this year coming from the East, with or without Gortat. If you doubt that, then I will beg to differ. Or is it just our definition of terms for "legit contender"?

Yes, they will have a tough time getting out of the East, but so will the other teams. As you know, struggling to win seems to be the signature trait about the C's this season, no matter who they play against. Even during their winning streak they struggled to win - but they won.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:08 pm

Gortat has shown in the past that he can fit into a Boston Celtics' huddle. He'd be perfect for this year, much more of a sure thing than Noel or Okafor, but unfortunately Washington is still competing. Maybe one of these years in the future Gortat will be signed for a PJ Brown type role.

Marcin Gortat: A Polish Machine Breakdown Marcin-gortat-celtics-huddle
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:Gortat has shown in the past that he can fit into a Boston Celtics' huddle. He'd be perfect for this year, much more of a sure thing than Noel or Okafor, but unfortunately Washington is still competing. Maybe one of these years in the future Gortat will be signed for a PJ Brown type role.

LOL, I can ID Sullinger and Bradley, but not the other 2 . . .  anyway, they are no longer with the Celts.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:09 pm

Sandpd wrote:
Phil Pressey wrote:Gortat has shown in the past that he can fit into a Boston Celtics' huddle. He'd be perfect for this year, much more of a sure thing than Noel or Okafor, but unfortunately Washington is still competing. Maybe one of these years in the future Gortat will be signed for a PJ Brown type role.

LOL, I can ID Sullinger and Bradley, but not the other 2 . . .  anyway, they are no longer with the Celts.

I could see that is Humphries from the jersey and Jeff Green was #8. That must be 2013-14 Brad's first year.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Those are the moments I live for. Pierce in the wheelchair, then returning in the same game. Gortat sneaking into the huddle. LeBron driven out of Cleveland by Paul, Ray and KG in the playoffs. Those foul calls on Harden and everyone calling him Mr. Choke. Maybe tonight something fun happens that we'll remember years later.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Pressey Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Oh, and there's a fifth Celtic who is impossible to identify and he has his arm around Gortat. That's funny.

I will guess that is a little guy and must be Pressey. The top of the hair matches my avatar.
Phil Pressey
Phil Pressey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandpd Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Phil Pressey wrote:Oh, and there's a fifth Celtic who is impossible to identify and he has his arm around Gortat. That's funny.

I will guess that is a little guy and must be Pressey. The top of the hair matches my avatar.

Wow, I didn't even notice that hidden 5th Celt until you pointed him out. Yeah, you're right-on with Green and Kadashian . . . uh, I mean Humphries.
Sandpd
Sandpd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down