wideclyde
KyleCleric
RosalieTCeltics
19 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Kemba walker - Page 2 Empty Re: Kemba walker

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:33 pm

By the way I do not see the Walker signing happening. Teams can only sign him for 4 years at $35 million.  We do not have enough Cap space for that amount and why would he leave when he can get a lot more money by staying in Charlotte?

A team with no starting center is a dim light bulb on a chandelier.

Last edited by dboss on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:11 pm

Kemba Walker Is Fool's Gold for the Boston Celtics

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842790-kemba-walker-will-be-tempting-but-celtics-have-a-chance-to-rebuild-patiently?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:34 pm

Like I said many times, Danny may be looking at Shane Larkin as our next starting center. After all, he is taller than Kemba.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 pm

The easy solution is to use FA to get a center and then sign TR which you can do even if it takes you over the CAP.  Then use the MLE to add a PF. Al-Farouq Aminu That may keep the team in the payoff hunt
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm

dboss wrote:By the way I do not see the Walker signing happening. Teams can only sign him for 4 years at $35 million.  We do not have enough Cap space for that amount and why would he leave when he can get a lot more money by staying in Charlotte?

A team with no starting center is a dim light bulb on a chandelier.

Quote of the day right there.

Yeah, wouldn't seem to make sense to pursue Walker.

Despite being an outstanding player, his addition wouldn't move the team any closer to contention without addressing the front line.

The cost would also handicap any chance at paying a couple of bigs to join the team.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:14 pm

dboss wrote:The easy solution is to use FA to get a center and then sign TR which you can do even if it takes you over the CAP.  Then use the MLE to add a PF. Al-Farouq Aminu That may keep the team in the payoff hunt

Dboss,

Aminu is 6'9", 220#. I don't see the attraction.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Derrick Favors anyone?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Dboss,
not be a stickler, but I think you are wrong about the MLE.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/02/early-mid-level-bi-annual-projections-for-201920.html

this link spells it out, here is the text below:

Mid-Level Exception
Year---Standard MLE---TaxpayerMLE-----Room MLE
2019/20--$9,246,000----$5,711,000----$4,760,000
2020/21--$9,708,300----$5,996,550----$4,998,000
2021/22--$10,170,600---$6,282,100 –
2022/23--$10,632,900
Total-----$39,757,800----$17,989,650----$9,758,000

The standard mid-level exception is available to over-the-cap teams that haven’t dipped below the cap to use room and don’t go over the tax apron at all. It can run for up to four years, with 5% annual raises.

The taxpayer mid-level exception is for in-the-tax teams, or teams that want the flexibility to surpass the tax apron later. It can run for up to three years, with 5% annual raises.

The room exception is for teams that go under the cap and use their space. Once they’ve used all their cap room, they can use this version of the mid-level exception, which runs for up to two years with 5% annual raises.

If this link is correct, then once Boston uses cap space to sign a player, we can only use the the "Room" MLE which is the lower one on the chart.

Unless I am reading this wrong, we have to stay OVER the cap (that is cannot use cap space to sign a player) to have that full MLE that you are talking about.

It makes no sense to me either, you would think it was the opposite.

Maybe gyso can chime in and lets us know if  this is correct or not?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:The easy solution is to use FA to get a center and then sign TR which you can do even if it takes you over the CAP.  Then use the MLE to add a PF. Al-Farouq Aminu That may keep the team in the payoff hunt

Dboss,

Aminu is 6'9", 220#.   I don't see the attraction.

PPkilllbb].
bob

Price cheap, experienced, descent defender. Few options.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Kdp59.

What constitues dipping below the Cap?  If they sign enough salaries on July 1st they would have been continuously above the cap because as contracts are rolling off new ones are rolling on.  

Am I missing something?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:39 pm

Terry is likely to get overpaid. I think Boston would live with $15 million but I think $18 is what he wants.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:05 pm

kdp,

I'm traveling for work (I'm in Sacramento) so I haven't gotten to look at this.  I saw that you asked a couple days ago, sorry for not getting back to you.

From reading what you posted above, the language seems plain and simple.  If we are at any time below the salary cap (dipped below), we cannot use the Non-Taxpayer MLE.  Once we go back over the salary cap, we can use the room exception.

That being said, I cannot find that kind of wording (dipped below, can't use the big MLE) in Larry Coon's NBA Salary Cap FAQ:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q25

NON-TAXPAYER MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION -- This exception is available only when a team is below the "Apron" (see question number 20). This determination is made after the exception is used, so a team below the Apron cannot use this exception if doing so takes it above the Apron. It cannot be used by a team that has already used the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception or the Room Mid-Level exception. It allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract with a starting salary up to the following:

Season    First-year salary
2017-18   $8.406 million
2018-19   $8.641 million

The Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception amount for the 2017-18 season was negotiated into the agreement. For each subsequent season the exception amount is determined by applying the percentage change in the salary cap to the previous exception amount. For example, if the salary cap increases by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19, then the exception amount also will increase by 4% from 2017-18 to 2018-19.

This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts up to four years in length, with raises up to 5% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year -- for example, a team can use this exception to sign a player to a four-year contract, and use it again the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

If the player is a restricted free agent with one or two years of service and receives an offer sheet from a new team under the Gilbert Arenas provision, the player's prior team may use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to match the offer sheet (see question numbers 42 and 43).

Again, this exception is only available to teams that are below the "Apron." Teams above the Apron instead must use the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see below). Further, any team that uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception cannot go above the Apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, it is hard-capped at the Apron (see question 20 for more information).

However, if a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception but does not exceed the constraints of the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (e.g., in 2017-18 they use the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to sign a player for $5.192 million or less), then the team is allowed to later exceed the Apron (i.e., it is not hard-capped). If the team later exceeds the Apron, then it is considered to have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception rather than the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. But the converse is not true -- if a team is above the Apron and spends any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, it cannot drop below the Apron and spend the remaining money as part of its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception. Finally, a team that was above the Apron but did not spend any of its Taxpayer Mid-Level exception has full access to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception if it later drops below the Apron.

A different team salary definition is used for determining whether a team is above or below the Apron. See question number 13 for details. In addition, this exception begins to pro-rate downward daily starting on January 10 each season (see question numbers 26 and 28), and expires following the last day of the team's regular season.

My comments: Let me know what you think after reading this.  It seems like the only time we cannot use the Non-Taxpayer MLE is when we are over the apron or so far under the cap that the use of the Non-Taxpayer MLE doesn't take us back over the cap.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks for looking at it

now can you tell us which One we can likely use this year...LOL

is it the
$9M

$5M
or
$4M

one?

so even I can understand please...LOL.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:31 am

dboss wrote:A team with no starting center is a dim light bulb on a chandelier.

Who was the center on the 2012 and 2013 Heat teams?
What about Golden State?
How about the Cavs team from a few years back?

You need some bigger players, yes. But saying you cant win without a center is a vast overstatement.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am

mrkleen09 wrote:

What about Golden State?

You need some bigger players, yes.  But saying you cant win without a center is a vast overstatement.

+100

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:51 am

mrkleen09 wrote:

What about Golden State?

You need some bigger players, yes.  But saying you cant win without a center is a vast overstatement.

Those teams you listed had Lebron James, Steph Curry and Kevin Durant on them.
They were able to succeed without a great center because those 3 are all time great players who were able to overcome a weakness in the center position.

Boston fans most of this year and especially after losing to Milwaukee said they need another big man.
They have lost Baynes and will soon be losing Horford.
If Boston signs Kemba Walker, this significantly limits Boston's ability to acquire quality big men.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:03 am

I’d rather roll with Smart and the rooks at point, with Tatum and Hayward also able to lead the offense than roll with Kemba and no upgrade at the big positions....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:04 am

I am with you Cow.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:12 am

Oftentimes a glaring weakness in one facet of the game can be negated by an overpowering strength in another area -  mrkleen09 got it right - but the question remains as to whether the Celtics will have the manpower to overcome the BIG MAN issue. Time will tell.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:23 am

Or if someone like Rob Williams emerges as a quality rotation player

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 am

tjmakz wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:

What about Golden State?

They were able to succeed without a great center because those 3 are all time great players who were able to overcome a weakness in the center position.

Boston fans most of this year and especially after losing to Milwaukee said they need another big man.
If Boston signs Kemba Walker, this significantly limits Boston's ability to acquire quality big men.

The list of last 10 NBA champions is full of teams with a serviceable center at best, no center at all at worst and it clearly didnt hamper them. At some point, an outlier becomes a trend.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:39 am

We will be signing Kemba. Sure sounds like it.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:42 am

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27066586/sources-celtics-front-runners-sign-kemba

The plot thickens...
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am

Maybe Smart can start at center

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:49 am

tjmakz wrote:
mrkleen09 wrote:

What about Golden State?

I Agree.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next