cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by Sam Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:12 pm

The last I heard, Barnes was still in play for the following reason:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/comments/barnes-to-raptors-in-peril-389393.html

Maybe that has changed, and I suspect some team will be able to come up with more than the Celtics one way or the other. (Perhaps that has already occurred with a team other than the Raptors, but it will unlikely be in a sign-and-trade according to this snafu. I'd sure like to see him here.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 9 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by bigpygme Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:17 pm

i only saw the AP report, apparently based on his Twitter - yours is a more complete story. sorry ...

Last edited by bigpygme on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my mistake)
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Michael, these days, no one knows what to believe, surmise, or conjecture. It really is like being in a rough sea and just holding onto the side of your rowboat.

By the way, are you packed yet?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:37 pm

LOL - nope, not packed yet, but the suitcase is out. going to NH on the 28th ...

very much looking forward to meeting you and so many others ... it was a great year for our Celtics, and a great year to be on this burgeoning board !!

thx, and see you soon !

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm

The longer this summer goes on, it is becoming more evident that very few players are willing to take less money to play for a championship contender.
I am specifically talking about the Celtics and Lakers.
There have been so many names tied to Boston or LA who have wound up signing with other teams.
LA's only free agent signing (not own players) is Steve Blake. He's a great fit for LA, but he's their only signing.
There have been rumors that they wanted to sign Raja Bell, Mike Miller, Tracy McGrady, Matt Barnes, and many other point guards. Now, it looks like LA will lose out on Jeremy Lin to Golden State.
I love the draft picks and expect them to be contributors, but I wish they could sign another SG and a back up center sooner rather then later.

Free agency has been slow for Boston too. Jermaine O'Neal and Semih Erden are the only free agents they have signed. Boston has also been linked to so many good players that signed with other teams.

I thought more players were going to actively try to sign with Boston and LA this off-season...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:55 am

I hope McGrady makes the "right" decision and goes to a contender for cheap.

He should have made his fair share of cash already and should be more interested in the game and resurrecting his name, if possible, by now.

One solid season coming off the bench for a good team would probably be good for his name, game and health.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am

tj,

Semih Erden was not a free agent. The Celtics drafted him a couple years ago. Erden finally was free from his contract with another team in Europe. He could come over here and play without the Celtics paying a huge buyout of his contract. You probably don't pay attention to every single issue surrounding the Celtics, so I can see where you may have missed that.

We would like to think that the Lakers and Celtics would be the popular choice for free agents to land, but there is another another team that appeals to them more.

Players are coming out of the woodwork to play for the Heat this year. Penny H. is a prime example. Many are looking to Miami to see how they can fit in.

The "honor" of playing in Green or Purple & Gold seems to be more of a fan thing. To players, money talks. Legacy takes a back seat. Our experience with James Posey brought out that sad truth to us.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:12 am

Don't forget that there's no personal income tax in Florida. That keeps money in the players' pockets.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 am

worcester wrote:Don't forget that there's no personal income tax in Florida. That keeps money in the players' pockets.

worcester,

That's true and, as a FL resident, you know this better than anybody. HOWEVER, this only applies to income earned in FL. Miami Heat (and Orlando Magic) players will play 38-39 games outside of FL in the regular season (there are 2-3 games vs Orlando) and the monies earned by them for playing in those games are NOT tax-free, they are taxed at the appropriate rates in the states they are earned.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:45 am

Very true Bob. Imagine how much their accountants must earn figuring out and filing taxes in all the different states AND Canada!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 am

gyso wrote:tj,

Semih Erden was not a free agent. The Celtics drafted him a couple years ago. Erden finally was free from his contract with another team in Europe. He could come over here and play without the Celtics paying a huge buyout of his contract. You probably don't pay attention to every single issue surrounding the Celtics, so I can see where you may have missed that.

We would like to think that the Lakers and Celtics would be the popular choice for free agents to land, but there is another another team that appeals to them more.

Players are coming out of the woodwork to play for the Heat this year. Penny H. is a prime example. Many are looking to Miami to see how they can fit in.

The "honor" of playing in Green or Purple & Gold seems to be more of a fan thing. To players, money talks. Legacy takes a back seat. Our experience with James Posey brought out that sad truth to us.

gyso

gyso,

Thanks for the clarification. I did know that Erden was a Celtics draft pick. I was referring to new players on each team so I did use the term free agent too loosely and incorrectly.
We have to give B/J/W credit that they didn't chase the biggest contract.
They are assembling a nice team in Miami. Many of those older free agents are way past their prime but could be effective for 10 min/game.
Posey made the right choice to leave Boston. He was a role player that had to go play for the most money since that was probably going to be his last big contract.

I have a feeling LA will have to re-sign Shannon Brown and Mbenga.
I think I would rather have Brown over McGrady at this point because Tracy looks like he has very little athleticism left.

Boston will probably have to re-sign Daniels as their athletic wing player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 am

I don't believe the Celtics have Bird Rights to Daniels. But maybe they have pre-Bird or anti-Bird or mini-Bird or early-Bird or free-Bird or Freberg (Hello Muddah) rights or whatever in the Wonderful World of Collective Bargaining of which I'm such a great fan.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:27 am

Sam wrote:I don't believe the Celtics have Bird Rights to Daniels. But maybe they have pre-Bird or anti-Bird or mini-Bird or early-Bird or free-Bird or Freberg (Hello Muddah) rights or whatever in the Wonderful World of Collective Bargaining of which I'm such a great fan.

Sam

LOL.

Once we fully understand the CBA rules, they will probably completely change in the next agreement...
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am

TJ,

That's what happened in my marriages.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:29 am

tjmakz wrote:
gyso wrote:tj,

gyso

gyso,

Thanks for the clarification. I did know that Erden was a Celtics draft pick. I was referring to new players on each team so I did use the term free agent too loosely and incorrectly.
We have to give B/J/W credit that they didn't chase the biggest contract.
They are assembling a nice team in Miami. Many of those older free agents are way past their prime but could be effective for 10 min/game.
Posey made the right choice to leave Boston. He was a role player that had to go play for the most money since that was probably going to be his last big contract.

I have a feeling LA will have to re-sign Shannon Brown and Mbenga.
I think I would rather have Brown over McGrady at this point because Tracy looks like he has very little athleticism left.

Boston will probably have to re-sign Daniels as their athletic wing player.

TJ,

As of today, I'm thinking you're right about the final destinations of Brown/Mbenga/Daniels. If they haven't been snapped up yet, that says something about their prospects. If LA and Boston are pursuing Barnes, and the reports say they are, then what does that say about Brown and Daniels?

Of course, sign-and-trades change the landscape. We trade Sheed's contract for a mid-level player that Orlando wants and we trade that player for a newly signed Barnes. Something like that. Other than Brown, I don't know any player on the Lakers that would have that much interest for another team (outside of their unavailable core players, of course). Not at this time. Later on this season, Sasha's contract becomes valuable, but not right now. With 1/2 a season or less left for a team that's not going to the playoffs, that's something else. If Sheed retires now (or, right after the trade), they save money now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Daniels' re-signing might not be such a bad thing IF another year in the system allows him to learn it lots better, and if he can work his way out of Doc's doghouse. key word is WORK !
i sort of thought he had more to offer than we saw, 2nd half of last season ...

thx to bob and others for walking me/us through the CBA stuff - it's dizzying ! The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 9 Icon_rolleyes

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 am

Bob,

I'm convinced that the only holdup in a Sheed official retirement is the trade option. I've been concerned about the disappearance of all the desirable free agents. But a sign-and-trade involving two or more teams would ostensibly bring a lot of better players into play. My only question is that, with most of the desirable free agents gone, what teams will then be interested in creating more cap space?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:37 am

Sam wrote:Bob,

I'm convinced that the only holdup in a Sheed official retirement is the trade option. I've been concerned about the disappearance of all the desirable free agents. But a sign-and-trade involving two or more teams would ostensibly bring a lot of better players into play. My only question is that, with most of the desirable free agents gone, what teams will then be interested in creating more cap space?

Sam

Sam,

Next year. They might want to do it for next year and set themselves up by trading a player with multi-years left.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:38 am

bigpygme wrote:Daniels' re-signing might not be such a bad thing IF another year in the system allows him to learn it lots better, and if he can work his way out of Doc's doghouse. key word is WORK !

thx to bob and others for walking me/us through the CBA stuff - it's dizzying ! The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 9 Icon_rolleyes

Michael

Michael,

gyso is the resident capologist here. He's the one to ask and thank more than anybody else.

Personally, I don't know how he does it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:53 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:Just watched this undrafted Chinese kid,Jeremy Lin go head to head and outplay John Wall for stretches......entertaining game,if Mavs don't sign this kid would love to see him invited to Celtics camp.

cow,

The latest rumor du jour is that GSW just signed Jeremy Lin to a partially guaranteed contract. He's a local product, out of Palo Alto High School.

Actually, according to Lin's Wikipedia, the deal is done.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:56 am

bobheckler wrote:
bigpygme wrote:Daniels' re-signing might not be such a bad thing IF another year in the system allows him to learn it lots better, and if he can work his way out of Doc's doghouse. key word is WORK !

Michael

Michael,

gyso is the resident capologist here. He's the one to ask and thank more than anybody else.

Personally, I don't know how he does it.

bob

thx, bob, and of course i take your point. i probably just overlooked him here, but am aware that he has the deepest knowledge of this stuff of anyone on the board. so i am always grateful to gyso for his contributions in these matters.
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 9 Empty Possible Celtic options

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm

The need for (trading) 'Sheed
Recommend Comment(4) Email Print Facebook Twitter RSS
By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com

The Boston Celtics are running out of options this summer to significantly upgrade their roster.

One of the last big chips at their disposal is Rasheed Wallace's contract that's worth $6.3 million this season.

Prior to Boston's Game 7 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals, Wallace told the Celtics that he planned to retire.

Since then, nothing has changed on the part of the C's who are still under the impression that Wallace, who will be 36 years old in September, plans to call it quits.

And as a parting gift to Boston, Wallace has put off officially retiring so that the Celtics can use his contract's value to add another player to either fill the void his departure will leave, or provide added depth to a bench that needs to be replenished.

While there are several scenarios out there that the C's could turn to in their efforts to strengthen their roster via Wallace's contract, here are three possible scenarios that seem to make the most sense for both Boston and the respective team that they would be partnering up with.

Scenario No. 1

Rasheed Wallace to Houston in exchange for Shane Battier:
Battier's salary for 2010-2011 season: $7.35 million
Years remaining on current contract: 1

Why this works for Boston: Battier gives the C's a veteran presence who can defend small forwards at a comparable level to the departed Tony Allen (signed with Memphis earlier this month); is in the last year of his contract which means the C's won't have to make a long-term commitment which is consistent with the Celtics' approach to offseason additions this summer; one of the more respected players in the league, would be a good fit inside the C's locker room.

Why this works for Houston: With the Rockets inching close to the luxury tax threshold following a brisk offseason, trading Battier for Wallace would save them at least $1 million in salary; Houston has Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza and Chase Budinger in the fold, creating what appears to be a logjam of sorts at the small forward position when you throw Battier in the mix.

Scenario No. 2

Rasheed Wallace to New Orleans for James Posey
Posey's salary for 2010-2011 season: $6.4786 million
Years remaining: 2

Why this works for Boston: Posey was a fan favorite when he played for the C's, and his return would be immediately embraced by Celtic Nation as well as his new (and not so new) teammates; addresses the C's need for another perimeter defender.

Why this works for New Orleans: The Hornets remain in cost-cutting mode, and this trade would help them along those lines; will provide additional minutes to rookie wing Quincy Pondexter who is bigger, more athletic and a better scorer than Posey.

Scenario No. 3

Rasheed Wallace to Charlotte for Nazr Mohammed
Mohammed's salary for 2010-2011 season: $6.883 million
Years remaining: 1

Why this works for Boston: Mohammed adds frontcourt depth, which is an issue because of Kendrick Perkins' right knee injury that will keep him sidelined until sometime in late December or January. He will be a free agent after this season, so the C's aren't on the hook with a long-term commitment. Has handled promotions and demotions with an even-keeled level of professionalism, which is an absolute must for any big man coming to Boston this summer.

Why this works for Charlotte: Wallace's contract is worth slightly less, but that's not what makes this so appealing to the Bobcats. With Wallace's close relationship to Charlotte head coach Larry Brown (they won an NBA title in Detroit in 2004, and both played for the legendary Dean Smith at North Carolina), there's a strong sense that if anyone can convince Wallace to bypass retirement, it's Brown.

A. Sherrod Blakely can be reached at sblakely@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sherrod on Twitter at http://twitter.com/sherrodbcsn
Tags: Rasheed Wallace, Shane Battier, James Posey, Nazr Mohammed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:55 pm

If I were offered all three, I'd take Battier. I looked up Mohammed's scouting report and the first line said: "legendarily bad hands and a defensive liability." Pose is a couple of years older than when we last saw him. The hugs would be nice, and the Celtics system would probably be better for him than New Orleans'. I'd take him second among the three.

Battier's know as a good defensive player, and he can shoot too. As much as I'd like another big man, I'd go for the wing among this trio.

I just hope we get the option.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Houston is not going to give up Battier as a salary dump.
They just signed Brad Miller to a 3 year $15m contract to be Yao's back up.
They believe they can go far into the playoffs with Yao back so I can't see them giving away Battier for a contract of a retired player.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:05 pm

112288 wrote:The need for (trading) 'Sheed
Recommend Comment(4) Email Print Facebook Twitter RSS
By A. Sherrod Blakely
CSNNE.com

The Boston Celtics are running out of options this summer to significantly upgrade their roster.

One of the last big chips at their disposal is Rasheed Wallace's contract that's worth $6.3 million this season.

Prior to Boston's Game 7 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals, Wallace told the Celtics that he planned to retire.

Since then, nothing has changed on the part of the C's who are still under the impression that Wallace, who will be 36 years old in September, plans to call it quits.

And as a parting gift to Boston, Wallace has put off officially retiring so that the Celtics can use his contract's value to add another player to either fill the void his departure will leave, or provide added depth to a bench that needs to be replenished.

While there are several scenarios out there that the C's could turn to in their efforts to strengthen their roster via Wallace's contract, here are three possible scenarios that seem to make the most sense for both Boston and the respective team that they would be partnering up with.

Scenario No. 1

Rasheed Wallace to Houston in exchange for Shane Battier:
Battier's salary for 2010-2011 season: $7.35 million
Years remaining on current contract: 1

Why this works for Boston: Battier gives the C's a veteran presence who can defend small forwards at a comparable level to the departed Tony Allen (signed with Memphis earlier this month); is in the last year of his contract which means the C's won't have to make a long-term commitment which is consistent with the Celtics' approach to offseason additions this summer; one of the more respected players in the league, would be a good fit inside the C's locker room.

Why this works for Houston: With the Rockets inching close to the luxury tax threshold following a brisk offseason, trading Battier for Wallace would save them at least $1 million in salary; Houston has Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza and Chase Budinger in the fold, creating what appears to be a logjam of sorts at the small forward position when you throw Battier in the mix.

Scenario No. 2

Rasheed Wallace to New Orleans for James Posey
Posey's salary for 2010-2011 season: $6.4786 million
Years remaining: 2

Why this works for Boston: Posey was a fan favorite when he played for the C's, and his return would be immediately embraced by Celtic Nation as well as his new (and not so new) teammates; addresses the C's need for another perimeter defender.

Why this works for New Orleans: The Hornets remain in cost-cutting mode, and this trade would help them along those lines; will provide additional minutes to rookie wing Quincy Pondexter who is bigger, more athletic and a better scorer than Posey.

Scenario No. 3

Rasheed Wallace to Charlotte for Nazr Mohammed
Mohammed's salary for 2010-2011 season: $6.883 million
Years remaining: 1

Why this works for Boston: Mohammed adds frontcourt depth, which is an issue because of Kendrick Perkins' right knee injury that will keep him sidelined until sometime in late December or January. He will be a free agent after this season, so the C's aren't on the hook with a long-term commitment. Has handled promotions and demotions with an even-keeled level of professionalism, which is an absolute must for any big man coming to Boston this summer.

Why this works for Charlotte: Wallace's contract is worth slightly less, but that's not what makes this so appealing to the Bobcats. With Wallace's close relationship to Charlotte head coach Larry Brown (they won an NBA title in Detroit in 2004, and both played for the legendary Dean Smith at North Carolina), there's a strong sense that if anyone can convince Wallace to bypass retirement, it's Brown.

A. Sherrod Blakely can be reached at sblakely@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sherrod on Twitter at http://twitter.com/sherrodbcsn
Tags: Rasheed Wallace, Shane Battier, James Posey, Nazr Mohammed

I tried to respond to this when it was its own thread and, by the time I was ready to send, it was gone.

Battier would be a good consolation prize if we don't get Barnes. He's one of the best SF defenders in the league, he's a good team player and lockerroom presence. He will do whatever is asked of him without complaint or whimper.

Posey will not be coming back because, in doing that, Danny would have to admit he made a mistake by not re-signing him in the first place. If the length of Posey's contract was too long for Danny's taste two years ago, then it's definitely too long for his tastes now. This may be especially true given that Posey did not have a good year last year. I didn't watch many NOH games, so I can't say if he's showing his age or not, but the numbers are definitely down from his first season with the Hornets on a per minute basis. Posey is also one year older than Battier.

I see Mohammed as an emergency stopgap measure only. In '08, we went 1/2 a season without a backup for Perk. This year, we just need to go 2-3 months with only 1 backup for O'Neal (Erden). Unless Danny and Doc are really, really cool on Erden, do we really need to carry 3 active centers (O'Neal, Erden and Mohammed) and then have Perk come back and have 4 centers? Carrying that many centers will hurt our depth at other positions.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next