cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by MDCelticsFan Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Wade now has Gabrielle Union to warm his bed. Have you seen that chick. She's Hollywood, South Beach runway material (not Air Tran, or Southwest). No telling what heights she can lift him to. Higher than any pair of Nikes!-If Jay-Z has Beyonce, Wade's got next best!-MD

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by Outside Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:10 pm

The main objection to Morrison's play is his defense, or lack thereof, so I can't imagine him being a good fit for the Celtics. With that in mind, I suppose it doesn't hurt to look at the guy (other than the harm done to Bob's peace of mind, that is). I don't think Danny is penciling him in as Ray's replacement at the 2.

I'm inclined to give him a break, especially in the comparisons vs. Redick, considering that he blew out his knee in the preseason of his second year (Fall 2007). He did have decent scoring numbers as a rookie -- 11.8 average, 45 double-digit games, 12 games of 20 or more -- and I don't think he's been the same player since his injury. For a marginal player, a major leg injury can be a career-ender, so he's fortunate to still be in the league and have an opportunity to catch on with someone now that his initial contract is over. Maybe he could find a niche on a lower level team where he can get some playing time.

I don't know that much about him as a person, but my impression is that he's quirky but not a bad guy. I think the league could benefit by having a few oddball personalities sprinkled around, so I actually hope he makes it somewhere.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:09 pm

good stuff, gbrown and outside. like esp to see the stats that his rookie season, he was doing ok (which Redick didn't, really. he looked like he was gonna washout.)

i hope Morrison makes it somewhere too. maybe someplace he can learn something about the importance of playing hard on BOTH ends of the floor.

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 8 Empty Williams To Nuggets

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 pm

REPORT: WILLIAMS LEAVES C'S FOR NUGGETS
By: Jerry Spar
Print
According to a report from ESPN's John Hollinger, forward Shelden Williams has agreed to sign with the Nuggets. Williams was a reserve for the Celtics in 2009-10 who showed flashes in the early part of the season but was not a contributor by the time the playoffs rolled around. The report indicates that the Nuggets also have re-signed veteran guard Anthony Carter.

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 8 Empty What's Next For Celtics

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:16 pm

WHAT’S NEXT FOR THE CELTICS? 07.14.10 at 2:34 pm ET
By Paul Flannery
tweets
retweet
LAS VEGAS — Out here in the steamy desert, it’s been difficult to keep track of all the coming and goings. One day, New Orleans general manager Jeff Bower is sitting in the stands watching the action at summer league. The next day various Hornets assistants were scrambling for an impromptu meeting in the same section to discuss what they’re going to do now that they don’t have a general manager anymore.

The free agent market typically has a defined rhythm to it. The top players go first, along with a handful of role players who actually set the market — Drew Gooden, Steve Blake, Travis Outlaw, etc. Then come the secondary players along with the sign-and-trades and restricted free agents.

This can take as long as a month, but in the wake of ‘The Decision’ things have happened at a breakneck pace. When LeBron James, Chris Bosh, Carlos Boozer and Amar’e Stoudemire signed with new teams, they didn’t just take their talents with them. They also left parting gifts in the form of trade exemptions, which shifted cap space from one franchise to another.

So while the Heat, Bulls, Knicks and Nets have used their cap space to varying degrees, the Raptors, Suns and Jazz have also remade their teams.

(Somewhat hilariously, the Timberwolves picked up up a sizable trade exception after they gave away Al Jefferson to Utah. The only problem is, they can’t use it unless they are over the cap. They used some of that cap space on Luke Ridnour and now seem intent on giving away Ramon Sessions, who they signed last year. There appears to be no method to the madness that is [David] Kaaaaahn.)

While all this has gone down, the Celtics have basically been forced to sit and watch with nothing but the veteran minimum left to offer.

Danny Ainge did almost all of his work before July 8 when he agreed to contracts with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen and used the full mid-level exception on Jermaine O’Neal. The consensus out in Vegas is that the Celtics did well with those deals, particularly with O’Neal who will probably have to start at center for most of the season while Kendrick Perkins rehabs from his knee surgery.

But the Memphis Grizzlies threw them a curveball when they signed Tony Allen to a three-year deal. The issue wasn’t the money. It was the years. Having lived with T.A. for this long, they felt that three years was just too long to commit to a player with his inconsistencies and injury history.

The minimum offer from the Celtics has more cache then say, the minimum offer from the Pacers, because they can also offer a chance to play for a championship with a universally respected coach like Doc Rivers. But, money is money and there is still some of it out there to grab before the market settles back down.

So, where do they go from here? The operative word from people here in Vegas is time, as in it will take some before the market comes back to them.

For now, the Celtics have nine players under contract who are expected to be with them next year: The starting five, plus O’Neal, Glen Davis, Avery Bradley and Semih Erden. They also have rights on Oliver Lafayette, Tony Gaffney and second round pick Luke Harangody.

Because they haven’t had to renounce any of their free agents, they also have Bird rights on Marquis Daniels, Michael Finley and Brian Scalabrine, as well as partial rights on Nate Robinson. The Nuggets have reportedly come to terms with Shelden Williams, which eliminates him from the equation.

Here are three ways the Celtics can go:

1. Re-sign Nate Robinson

Because they acquired him at the trading deadline, the Celtics can offer Robinson as much as $6 million, which would be a lot of money for a backup guard. For reference, Blake and Ridnour signed four-year deals for around $16 million.

Robinson would help address two needs: backup point guard and scoring off the bench, but he is likely to take his time and see if there are any longer, or more lucrative, deals to be had.

He and the Celtics remain on each other’s radar screen and it wouldn’t be a shock to see him return, but as they already proved with Tony Allen, the Celtics wants to retain flexibility beyond the next two seasons.

2. Fill out the wing

This is the obvious area of need where the Celtics have no veteran depth behind Ray Allen and Pierce. There are still a handful of veterans who are in play. None are perfect fits, which is why they have kicked the tires on Adam Morrison out here.

They have also shown interest in one-time All-Star Josh Howard, whose career has nosedived since he injured his knee. Howard is typical of many players still available in that he may get a larger offer than the minimum, particularly if the Magic match Chicago’s offer sheet for restricted free agent J.J. Redick.

Other options include players like Antoine Wright and Rasual Butler who would have to agree to play for the minimum.

Butler is a better shooter while Wright is younger and may have some development potential left. Both can play either wing spot.

Harangody showed ability in the Orlando summer league, but you would expect that from a four-year college player with his track record. Whether he can do that in the fall remains to be seen. Daniels could be brought back, but his experience last season wasn’t ideal for either side.

If Al Harrington can get five years from the Nuggets, don’t expect anyone to come rushing for the minimum just yet.

3. Trade Rasheed Wallace’s contract

This is the biggest wild card left in Ainge’s deck. There were rumblings that Wallace might be rethinking his decision to retire, but those have cooled off a bit in the last week. If he is certain to retire, and if he is willing to do so without taking a buyout, his contract could be moved to a team looking to clear either cap space or payroll to avoid the luxury tax.

There was some mutual interest from the Suns in the rumored Leandro Barbosa swap, but that opportunity came and went when Barbosa was traded to the Raptors.

Keep in mind that the Celtics could package Wallace with one of their free agents in a sign-and-trade to bring a player, or players back from any such deal.

One player who could be acquired straight-up for Wallace is old friend James Posey. There are caveats, however.

Posey has not played well since leaving the Celtics and he has two years left on his contract. The Hornets have also worked their way under the luxury tax and as noted earlier, they also don’t have a GM and appear to be in complete chaos.

Another option for Wallace’s contract is turn it into a trade exception.

We are only a week into the free agency signing period and already the NBA landscape has shifted dramatically several times. The 2010-11 Celtics are almost complete, but the finishing touches will simply have to wait.

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 8 Empty Ronnie Brewer On Celtics Sights

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 pm

According to tweets by A. Sherrod Blakely and Chris Mannix... the Celtics are in the hunt for free aqent Ronnie Brewer. Mannix says they're one of 6 teams in the hunt.

For the C's, it would have to be a sign and trade situation involving Sheed's deal since he's clearly not signing for the minimum. I'm not really 100% sure how this will work considering all the cap mess involved... but the C's are clearly trying to work some magic here... and I'm not gonna shove my foot in my mouth again trying to figure out how it works cap wise.

For the record, I like Brewer. Not the defender Tony is, but he's a better offensive player and he's an athletic piece that could fit into the post-Big 3, Rondo-led C's world.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Wow, thinking about the follies in Minny I'm thankful we have solid ownership and Danny on board. The people at the top are key.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:33 pm

112288 wrote:REPORT: WILLIAMS LEAVES C'S FOR NUGGETS
By: Jerry Spar
Print
According to a report from ESPN's John Hollinger, forward Shelden Williams has agreed to sign with the Nuggets. Williams was a reserve for the Celtics in 2009-10 who showed flashes in the early part of the season but was not a contributor by the time the playoffs rolled around. The report indicates that the Nuggets also have re-signed veteran guard Anthony Carter.

Devastating news. Who's gonna make those perfect passes to the opposition at the end of quarters now??

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 am

Watching his ineptitude made me miss Antoine Walker

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:49 am

So do the Celtics have Bird rights to Daniels and/or Finley?

I've been told they do not because both players were with the Celtics for only one season.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:17 am

Sam,

"Because they haven’t had to renounce any of their free agents, they also have Bird rights on Marquis Daniels, Michael Finley and Brian Scalabrine, as well as partial rights on Nate Robinson."

What a load of hogwash. The only one with Bird rights is Scal.

Daniels and Finley were signed as free agents and were with the Celtics one year or less. Three years is needed for BR's.

By all accounts, Nate doesn't have BR's as well. The NY Knicks bypassed the regular Qualifying Offer in Nate's contract in order to give him a bigger raise last offseason. There is more to it (and I don't totally understand the whole thing) but it seems that this move was seen by the league as a free agent signing and re-started his BR clock.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:40 am

That's what I thought on all counts, gyso. Does any of these guys check their facts? One way or another, it looks as though Nate will be signed. That will probably mean the DL for Bradley, which is fine. Ideally, the Celtics still need two wings and another backup center. I expect they can find some center for the veteran's minimum, and I'm hoping Sheed's contract can be used to trade for a decent wing, with another wing hopefully coming through a veteran's minimum or from the ranks of the rookies.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:05 am

Sam wrote:That's what I thought on all counts, gyso. Does any of these guys check their facts? One way or another, it looks as though Nate will be signed. That will probably mean the DL for Bradley, which is fine. Ideally, the Celtics still need two wings and another backup center. I expect they can find some center for the veteran's minimum, and I'm hoping Sheed's contract can be used to trade for a decent wing, with another wing hopefully coming through a veteran's minimum or from the ranks of the rookies.

Sam

Exactly so.

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 8 Empty The return of Scal???

Post by gyso Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:16 am

The Celtics have two remaining free agents from last season’s team: Nate Robinson and Brian Scalabrine. Ainge said the team is talking contract extension with Robinson.

“I’m not sure that there’s progress,’’ Ainge said. “I think I know where he stands, I think I know where we stand, and the conversations continue. These kinds of things can happen in an hour or they can take a bunch of days. I’m not sure.’’

Scalabrine said in an e-mail that he is talking with the Celtics about returning next season. A Celtic since 2005, Scalabrine played a significant role in Boston’s 2009 playoff run, but saw limited time last season.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/07/15/davis_feels_good_about_future/

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Just watched this undrafted Chinese kid,Jeremy Lin go head to head and outplay John Wall for stretches......entertaining game,if Mavs don't sign this kid would love to see him invited to Celtics camp.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:10 pm

Still no word from Rasheed...
From today's The Insider:

Questions still linger around 'Sheed
12:17 PM ETRasheed Wallace |

Immediately after the Celtics lost Game 7 of the NBA Finals, Doc Rivers indicated Rasheed Wallace was likely retiring.

And that's the general assumption most have been operating under since the season ended.

But there's been no official word, and there's still some linger doubts it will happen.

"I'm not sure," Paul Pierce said of whether he believes Wallace is actually going to retire, according to the Boston Herald. "I've texted him a couple of times. I think it's still up in the air. I definitely think we could use him, but that's on Rasheed."

As ESPN's Chris Forsberg has written, Wallace's supposed indecision could put the team in a bind:

Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston
How Wallace affects the C's going forward

"If Wallace truly hasn't made up his mind and is still debating a possible return, that's not a great thing for Boston. Not only does that leave the team in wait-and-see mode, but then the Celtics can't trade his contract without being assured that he's walking away. Now, if Wallace has made up his mind and informed the Celtics of his plans, then Boston is sitting pretty but still needs to keep his decision quiet. Until he's officially retired, the Celtics can shop his contract to teams seeking cap relief and attempt to get a quality player (or players) in return. There are two wrinkles here: Wallace's trade kicker (which increases his salary if he's traded) and its impact on any potential deals, and whether he plans to seek a buyout in order to walk away. The latter could end up costing the Celtics a couple million dollars regardless of whether he's traded, and that would go against this year's cap."
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:33 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/07/16/frankly_new_coach_will_be_a_net_gain/

Since losing Tony Allen to the Grizzlies, the Celtics have warmed to the idea of signing Matt Barnes, according to an NBA source. Barnes, a defensive specialist, played last season with the Magic but didn’t get an offer to return. Barnes’s subsequent Twitter post expressing his disappointment drew the ire of Orlando general manager Otis Smith.

Barnes is precisely what the Celtics are seeking in a market that is becoming increasingly shallow. The 6-foot-7-inch swingman averaged 8.8 points and 5.5 rebounds in 81 games last season, with 58 starts. He is considered a staunch defender and streaky 3-point shooter.

Being over the salary cap, the Celtics can only offer Barnes the veteran minimum. The Heat also are on Barnes’s list.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:35 pm

^Good.

Matt Barnes is exactly what we need coming off the bench with TA gone. Hes a fiesty defender, makes hustle plays, just an overall energetic/active player. I would love to have him in Celtic green
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:38 pm

I thought I read somewhere (it could have been on this forum) that Barnes had basically committed to some team. If not, and if he would come aboard for the veteran's minimum, he'd be a great addition.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:55 pm

According to the CelticsBlog, Barnes has drawn interest from a couple of other clubs and is now holding off committing to a team for a couple of days. One of the teams he is considering is the Celtics.

Nate signed for two years. I still would like to see a good big man signed.
I am still not for them going after Shaq, but it is getting harder and harder. A
shortage of real big men out there. Brewer turned them down and is going to Chicago, so the search for another wing is still on.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I think Boston should try to sign Mbenga as their last big man.
He is a very good athlete, can hit open shots and block shots.
I never understood why Phil under-utilized Mbenga.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Barnes was going to make an announcement today, but he now has a few more suitors (Celtics?). We'll see soon.

Compare Barnes to Tony: Note "per 36 minutes of play"

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barnema02.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/allento01.html

They are actually quite close, statistically. Of course, Tony's fortes were slashing and defending, while Barnes is 3pt shooting and defending. So, understandably Tony will have a higher fg% (slashers get closer to the rim). This does not address defense, of course. I thought Barnes did a pretty credible job on Pierce in the playoffs. Tony, of course, was great on Wade, LeBron and Kobe.

Tony has slightly higher steal stats but Barnes is a better rebounder despite playing on GSW, which was a running team and so he ran, and on Orlando which let Howard and Lewis and Gortat get the boards. Barnes also has a positive assist-to-turnover ratio, while Tony does not. That's why we all cringed when Tony played point.

He's 6'7" and has been relatively injury free his career. Tony's 6'4" and hasn't been.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:26 pm

Celtics may still still in the running for barnes. His addition along with another big would round out the roster

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:19 pm

dboss,

Seems to me they need two wings and a big. I'd love Barnes at the 3, but the bench would lack somewhat with true SG height. I'm afraid we'd see Ray in there with the bench, and I believe that's something we'd all like to minimize.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:25 pm

Sam wrote:dboss,
I'm afraid we'd see Ray in there with the bench, and I believe that's something we'd all like to minimize.
Sam

right about that ! well, Barnes is gone - now who ? (on another note, i liked TJ's Mbenga idea ! )

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next