cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm

jeb,

I'm not saying the Jolly Green Giant is a bad signing but if you think he will be in shape, don't wait up for that. He is a good signing for the veteran minimum.

Quote of the day about the 2010 Celtics: "Man, these guys are going to own the 2004 All-Star game."
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:29 pm

tj

of course he wont be in shape. he never is.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Empty Shaq

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm

I wish I could say I was thrilled, but having this guy on the team just doesn't do it for me. I know it probably is a
move that Danny has to make, there are so little Bigs out there, but I just don't like it. This is a move that Red would have loved. How many great players at the end of their career who hadn't won anything did he bring to Boston? The list goes on and on. Wayne Embry, Tiny Archibald, Dave Bing, Paul Silas. Sam...I know I am forgetting a ton of them. But this is what he did to solidfy his aging teams. Hopefully, Shaq will make me a fan once he is here!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:35 pm

if he accepts his role and plays hard for 16 to 20 minutes a night he can help...
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:45 pm

How does a deal like this go down? Is it a sign and trade with Rasheed's contract, who do we get besides Shaq in return? Moon, Parker, Hickson?????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:49 pm

maybe he is signing for the vet min
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:11 pm

BrandonBanks$$$ wrote:Shaq 'close' to deal with Celtics

Desperate for frontcourt depth and intrigued by what the self-described "Most Dominant Ever" big man has left in his 38-year-old tank, the Boston Celtics were "close" on Tuesday, according to a league source, to signing center Shaquille O'Neal for next season.

The Celtics, the source said, have told O'Neal that he has to come off the bench next season, and that O'Neal said he could accept a reserve role for the first time in his career. The three-time Finals MVP has not had many suitors this summer that had either the playing time or money to offer him, and O'Neal is running out of places that can give him a chance to compete for a championship as his career draws to a close...

Boston is two big men down after Perkins's injury and the retirement of Rasheed Wallace, who has given the team no indication that he's re-considering his decision.
If true, this confirms the first statement in the article, that Boston is desperate, because signing Shaq would surely be a desperate move. This is not like getting Bill Walton in 1985. I suppose Danny has been trying other moves to get someone who is a better fit but is out of options with a gaping hole at backup center and time running short until the season starts.

Hopeful scenario 1: This is a chess move by Danny to force another GM's hand to pull the trigger on a deal to get someone else.

Hopeful scenario 2: Shaq accepts a reserve role, plays with a young, athletic second unit that compensates for his defensive inertia, and puts up 10 points and six rebounds a game while saving wear and tear on Jermaine O'Neal.

Otherwise, hold your nose, grab on to something, and pray for the best.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:28 pm

Hey Bob- I'm with you!! I feel like I am going to get sick! I have been afraid of this since Perk went down and they signed Jermaine. There are so few bigs out there, and we have no money to offer anyone who has real talent to offer us. That is the name of the game in this league, MONEY.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Empty Shaq believes he’ll play in NBA next season

Post by gyso Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:05 pm

He all but ruled out joining LeBron James in Miami or a return to Orlando, where he began his career in 1992, with both teams not showing much interest. He also admitted this offseason has been particularly difficult floating around in free agency.

“For me, it’s been a real thinking process,” O’Neal said. “I came into the league very graciously and want to go out very graciously. My main thought was I would like to play for a winning franchise, somebody that’s used to winning, somebody that keeps winning. Hopefully, I’ll make my decision here in the next one or two days.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqon02iWveacY_qDct6sxqi8vLYF?slug=ap-shaqsjobsearch

Somebody that's used to winning, somebody that keeps winning; not Miami or Orlando, not LA. Who's left for contenders? Boston. I hear that Cleveland is not involved, so that means it has to be for vet minimum.

That takes care of the backup center position without using Sheed's contract. I take that as a huge positive.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Could do a whole lot worse than shaq for vets minimum.

If he does not work out you can just buy him out or trade him.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Bailey Howell was another of Red's players who blossomed late (8th year)into his career and who contributed tremendously to the Celts.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Empty Shaq A Celtic?

Post by 112288 Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:41 pm

When late-night host Jimmy Kimmel asked NBA free agent Shaquille O'Neal last night if he'd be interested in playing for the Celtics, O'Neal answered positively.

This afternoon, there are reports that O'Neal's interest is apparently mutual, and may become reality. Comcast SportsNet New England's A. Sherrod Blakely is reporting that the 15-time All-Star is "close" to an agreement with the Celtics. David Aldridge of TNT and TBS has also confirmed the report. The Celtics are believed to be negotiating a contract with O'Neal, and ESPN's Chris Broussard said on Twitter that it is "likely done either tonight or tomorrow."

O'Neal told Kimmel he wants to play two more seasons.

"Right now I'm on the 730-day program, which means I have two years left," said O'Neal. "So I'm going to try to sign with the right team."

Kimmel asked if the Celtics would be the right team.

"Celtics would be a good program," said O'Neal.

Asked if Boston would be a good place to go, O'Neal said, "Yes, it would."

O'Neal told Kimmel it would not be weird to put on a Celtics uniform after playing for the Lakers, but he dodged a question about whether Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, or LeBron James was the best player he teamed up with.

112288 Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:48 pm

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Glen_a10
The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Shaq_s10

Shrek, Donkey and Papa Shrek?

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 pm

I love this move,want to see Shaq and KG playing together,we've got an old all star team playing together,trust me Shaq for all his warts can still bang and help us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Mixed emotions for me. He's so far over the hill that it's scary. BUT he is bigger than a house and still can plug the middle once he gets there, and he can still knock people on their ars. He's 6 fouls we can use too.

See how this pans out.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Shaq still has his way with every center in the league expect for Howard and Perkins. He threw Brad Miller and Noah around like rag dolls in the playoffs.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 pm

next time howard throws a high elbow we got somthing for him.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:57 pm

If Boston signs Shaq and Luke H, they will be at 15 players.
It's hard to imagine any free agents or D-League players wanting to go to Boston's camp since there are no open roster spots.
It's hard to believe Rasheed's situation hasn't been resolved at this point.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 pm

tjmakz wrote:Shaq still has his way with every center in the league expect for Howard and Perkins. He threw Brad Miller and Noah around like rag dolls in the playoffs.

good point tj,he can still draw so much attention and he could always pass,he moved Noah around like me going at my 15 year old son!!!can you imagine if we really want to scare a team,put Shaq and Perk in together.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 13 Empty Shaq and The Celtics

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:38 pm

I didn't want to post this to another existing thread because I didn't want the message to get lost.

OK, so here's what I was thinking;

NO Freaking Way…NO, NO, NO!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Have we gotten that desperate?

Etan Thomas might come on the cheap; no offense but blocks and rebounds well.

Earl Barron could be had at such a low cost one of us could actually pay his contract; length, scoring and rebounding.

I'd sign Scal first, without thinking twice...

But the big ego? 10 years ago yes, but now? If anyone is thinking "he can take up space in the middle" so can a large rock; and Shaq is just about as mobile.

First we gamble on Wafer; OK, that's one big gamble, but two?

I'm normally a bleed green Danny and Co. fan, but somone has to say it...

...The Land of Misfit Toys isn't supposed to be on until Christmas.

I suppose at least we would make Dwight Howard happy.

Merry Christmas early, Dwight.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 pm

I see Shaq getting alot of feeds for dunks!!!I see him clearing alot of space,some guys spread the floor,he will clear it for wide open lanes and looks,his offense is still light years ahead of Perk.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Hes Dwights worst nightmare he will still help us in much more ways than hurt us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:52 pm

tjmakz wrote:jeb,

I'm not saying the Jolly Green Giant is a bad signing but if you think he will be in shape, don't wait up for that. He is a good signing for the veteran minimum.

Quote of the day about the 2010 Celtics: "Man, these guys are going to own the 2004 All-Star game."

TJ,

It's OK, you can say it, it's a bad signing at least in my opinion. Personally I'm stunned and hope it's just talk. I've been watching the Celtics since the late 60's and can't think of more than two or three worse ideas.

Love the '04 All-Star game quote though.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Hes Dwights worst nightmare he will still help us in much more ways than hurt us.

I hope you're right my good man, I really do. Count me as using one of my rare big time negative cards on this one though.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:00 am

nyc

what did you do with nyc?

who is this negative fella?
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 19 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next