cowens/oldschool
RosalieTCeltics
Hoopdeedoo
mrkleen09
NYCelt
27 posters

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Boston making a big push to trade for Rudy Fernandez?

http://espn.go.com/blog/BostonCeltics/post/_/id/4675984/rudy-rudy-rudy
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 12 Empty Re: The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:15 pm

tjmakz wrote:Boston making a big push to trade for Rudy Fernandez?

http://espn.go.com/blog/BostonCeltics/post/_/id/4675984/rudy-rudy-rudy

TJ,

This rumor has been kicked around for a few weeks now. It appears that Portland is now more actively considering it. Jeez, are there going to be any good teams left in the west besides the Lakers?

If you look at his shooting preferences, he likes left and right of dead center beyond 3, left beyond 3 and at the rm. He's not so good from midrange and the corners. His shooting from 3 was smoking during the short playoff run Portland had.

He's Euro, so I start from the point of considering his defense suspect.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm

TJ,

Do you have any idea how much Shannon Brown wants? I know the Lakers are sounding more hopeful of resigning him.

I really don't get this. I really don't get why a WC team or an east coast contender (Celtics, Magic, Heat) haven't tried to sign him. Signing Brown would do two things for them: it would provide them with an athletic wingman with Championship experience and it would weaken the current champions.

It's like Portland not taking a run at Odom last season. It would have really hurt the Lakers if he had been lured away. Oh wait, I remember, Kevin Pritchard was the Portland GM. Now I get it. Still, if Memphis taking Tony Allen away from the Celtics hurts us and helps them, then taking Brown away from the Lakers hurts them and, if he goes to a contender, helps them.

Why is it so obvious to me and so obtuse to them?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

bobheckler wrote:TJ,

Do you have any idea how much Shannon Brown wants? I know the Lakers are sounding more hopeful of resigning him.

I really don't get this. I really don't get why a WC team or an east coast contender (Celtics, Magic, Heat) haven't tried to sign him. Signing Brown would do two things for them: it would provide them with an athletic wingman with Championship experience and it would weaken the current champions.

It's like Portland not taking a run at Odom last season. It would have really hurt the Lakers if he had been lured away. Oh wait, I remember, Kevin Pritchard was the Portland GM. Now I get it. Still, if Memphis taking Tony Allen away from the Celtics hurts us and helps them, then taking Brown away from the Lakers hurts them and, if he goes to a contender, helps them.

Why is it so obvious to me and so obtuse to them?

bob

Shannon opted out of a $2.15m contract for this year. I assume that he would want more then one year at at least $3 per year.
I think LA would be willing to give him that but they don't want to increase their team salary. If push comes to shove they probably will.
Word out today is that LA is trying desperately to find a taker for Vujacic's 1 year contract and that they will give up their 2012 1st round pick for someone to take him.
Teams can sell 1st round picks for $3m so a team that takes Vujacic would be paying him $5.45m this year less $3m if they sold the draft pick. That probably won't be enough to get the deal done. I also heard that LA might also throw in their 2015 1st round pick to sweeten the deal. If LA could trade Vujacic and his $5.45m and paid Shannon Brown maybe $2.95m this year, they would be saving $2.5m on Salary and $2.5 on Luxury Tax. So, giving up the (2) first round picks would almost be a wash for the Lakers.

Magic, Heat, Portland and the Celtics only have the veterans minimum to offer Brown unless he is moved through a trade.
The difference from last year is that Portland had tons of cap space. Now they are over the cap.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:06 pm

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 12 Eddie_10

House agrees to 2-year deal with Heat

MIAMI (AP)—Eddie House’s agent says the veteran guard has agreed to terms on a $2.8 million, two-year contract with the Miami Heat.

Agent Mark Bartelstein said Thursday that the second year is a player option.

House was a second-round draft pick by the Heat in 2000 and spent his first three NBA seasons with them. He has since played for eight other teams, including Boston and New York last season, when he averaged 7.0 points in 68 games off the bench.

His career average is 7.6 points, and he’s a 39-percent shooter from 3-point range, with a reputation for making clutch baskets.
House will be a strong contender for a reserve role as part of the Heat’s supporting cast for Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkkgNILeSAX3uPCCi940Sji8vLYF?slug=ap-heat-house

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Good news for Eddie. He's a quality guy and deserves a good situation.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 am

bobheckler wrote:
sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Are there any big men left on the FA market or trade that can play 4/5 that DA can target for vet min or Sheed's contract?
IMO, Celtics are very thin in that department. Even when Perk comes back he, most probably, won't be 100% by the playoffs.
Thank you very much,
AK

sinus,

Louis Amundson is leaving Phoenix.

Check out his rebounds/36mpg:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/amundlo01.html

Unfortunately, his FTs are complete excrement. What the hell is it with these players, they can't hit a free throw?

He's also a shot blocker, with 2.2 blks/36mpg. By comparison, Perk gets 2.3 blks/36mpg and KG gets 1.5 blks/36mpg. These are career average stats. Of course, one of KG's great strengths isn't just his blocks but his intimidation of shots that don't get blocked but don't go in either because the shooter sees KG.

Last year, I think he made around $900k, so the price'd be right.

bob

Lou would be a great get for the Cs. I'm surprised no one has signed him yet. He'd be perfect in Boston as he is a total hustle/energy guy with a non-stop motor, whose strengths (rebounding and athleticism) are exactly what the Cs need.
babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:04 am

From what little I have seen of him I like him too.
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 am

Swede - Is Amundson Swedish or Norwegian?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:34 am

The -son would suggest more towards swedish, the norwegians usually do -sen. That could be an effect of "ellis island" though since a lot of names changed slightly when coming abroad.

Amund as a name in itself is old school norwegian/viking name where the mund part means "protector/
guardian of".
swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:48 am

Swede, I spent many weeks touring all over Latvia, right up to the border of Estonia. Such beautiful country (in Spring, summer, and fall).
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by swedeinestonia Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 am

Hehe we are going off topic here Very Happy

I have not visited Latvia yet, had flatmates last year that were Latvian. Nice humble people who studied hard (chemists). Latvia is probably more or less like Estonia but with slightly more russian/eastern european influences. Nature is nice in that part of Europe. Kind of reminds me of new england. Estonia has lots of swamps and marshland though. Guess that makes it new jersey Very Happy

The worst in that flat were the americans (exchange students from U of west virginia).

They were sloppy students and not very good when it came to their chores Very Happy. Also rather bitchy and whiny in general (boohoo cant find X and Y in the stores).

swedeinestonia
swedeinestonia

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:03 am

From your description, they must have left their sisters back in West Virginia and been getting grumpy from lack of sex.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:12 am

swedeinestonia wrote:The -son would suggest more towards swedish, the norwegians usually do -sen. That could be an effect of "ellis island" though since a lot of names changed slightly when coming abroad.

Amund as a name in itself is old school norwegian/viking name where the mund part means "protector/
guardian of".

and 'son' would mean? Just kidding.

My family name changed at Ellis Island too. It was 'Hechler' and that was too tough for the immigration folks (me too, for that matter). I don't think it changed the meaning much, though. It comes from an old school eastern european way of clearing one's throat.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:11 pm

This from Hoopsworld, 7/30. Feeding the Laker beasts here...

This is, of course, just one writer's opinion and is therefore distinguishable from absolute truth.

(the bold is mine)

The Lakers Making Moves: The Lakers have been aggressively trying to move off the ending contract of Sasha Vujacic, going as far as offering a first-round draft pick along with Sasha to a team that will absorb his contract without sending contract dollars back.

In essence it's a free player and draft pick to anyone who can take him. The fact that a deal has not been made shows where the market is at for Sasha.

The Kings, Thunder, Clippers, Cavs and Raptors all have the means to take Sasha without returning dollars to the Lakers, it just does not seem like any of them are willing to pull the trigger – it may require a third team willing to take Sasha, and one of the teams listed above getting a different asset, while the Lakers shed the commitment.

The deal is important for the Lakers, as they need to move off Sasha's dollars in order to re-sign Shannon Brown and ultimately second-round picks Devin Ebanks and Derrick Carcater.

The move isn't required, but the Lakers are not going to sign more players until they know Sasha is gone.

The move is not so much about Sasha as it is the $5.47 million he's owed.

The problem for the Lakers is that their own free agent, Brown, has been given an offer by the New York Knicks, and is weighing the offer and hoping to make a decision soon.

European teams have been calling about Derrick Carcater and word is he was offered a multi-year, multi-million dollar offer from Maccabi Tel Aviv.

So the Lakers are on the clock to get these deals done before they lose these players to other situations.

All three - Brown, Carcater and Ebanks - would rather be Lakers, but if the business side continues to drag on who knows how it will play out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:15 pm

From Hoopsworld, 7/31. First story about Shannon Brown, second about Von Wafer.

Brown's Difficult Decision:
The Los Angeles Lakers have made it clear that re-signing Shannon Brown is their top priority. He has an excellent relationship with Kobe Bryant, was a significant contributor during their title runs, and would be one of the few returning faces on the team's revamped second unit.

But because they're not the only team that covets Brown, the Lakers have been in contact with several available guards in case they need to replace his services. While they remain optimistic that the guard will choose to return to Los Angeles, there are several factors making his decision a difficult one.

The New York Knicks are trying to pry Brown away from the Lakers and they have put together an offer that will likely get his attention. While he is happy with the situation in Los Angeles, the Knicks can provide Brown with more playing time, a bigger contract, and a system that he could thrive in due to his style of play.

According to one source, New York is prepared to open up their wallet for Brown, offering a multi-year contract that would end up paying him roughly $4 million per season. The Knicks are willing to spend this money because they envision an increased role for Brown in New York playing under Mike D'Antoni. Joining Amar'e Stoudemire, Raymond Felton, Anthony Randolph, and Danilo Gallinari as part of the team's core, Brown would be able to receive his big payday and see consistent, predictable minutes for the first time in his career.

By offering the two things that the Lakers cannot, money and minutes, the Knicks are making Brown evaluate his priorities.

Is he willing to sacrifice those things to play for one of the best teams in the league or is he looking for the chance to contribute more and find stability on an up-and-coming team?

After winning two rings as a role player, some feel that Brown wants to step up and see what he can do outside of the supporting cast role. Many players turn down less money to join the Lakers' second unit, as we've witnessed several times this summer, but it's often to win a ring or gain exposure. Brown has done both during his time in Los Angeles and that's why some feel he's ready to move onto new things.

Brown will be forced to decide what he wants out of these next several years and which destination is better for his future. Both sides can offer different things and at the end of the day, he'll have to choose which situation is best for him.

Wafer Excited For Second Chance:
When Von Wafer detailed his comeback plan in this space several weeks ago, he made it clear that he could still contribute to an NBA team if given the chance.

On Thursday, the Boston Celtics granted Wafer that opportunity by signing him to a one-year deal and he couldn't be happier.

"Oh man, I'm just excited to be part of the tradition," Wafer told HOOPSWORLD. "This organization probably has the richest tradition in the entire NBA and they're winning right now. They're coming off of a Finals appearance and it's just exciting to have a chance to win it all and be a part of the whole atmosphere and situation that they have up there."

The chance to compete for a championship was very important to Wafer. "I've never won a championship at any level but I'm so focused. Maybe now I can win one at the highest level. That would be amazing," he said with excitement.

Prior to signing with Boston, the shooting guard had also received a minimum offer from the Cleveland Cavaliers and a multi-million dollar offer from a team in China. After weighing his options, Wafer couldn't pass up the chance to play for the Celtics.

"I think it was the tradition. Cleveland had a beautiful situation. I mean, they're rebuilding and trying to bounce back after that big loss they had but it was just that tradition [in Boston]. Larry Bird, Robert Parrish, and all of those guys put this jersey on and it's like no other experience. I just wanted to be a part of that and I know it's going to unbelievable," he said.

While his role hasn't been explicitly defined, he is expected to provide energy and scoring off of the bench. However, Wafer is going into the situation with an open mind and he's ready to contribute in any way possible.

"I'm just going to go in and try to learn all of the defensive schemes because I know that's going to be big, depending on how much they utilize me. They haven't told me a specific role but I'm willing to do anything they ask of me. If they need a cheerleader, that's fine. If they need a water guy, I'll be getting everybody water. If they need me knocking down open shots, I'll do that too," he said.

Earlier this summer, Wafer said he would like to play with his friend LeBron James. But now, he is focused on defeating the powerhouse that has formed in Miami. When asked if the Celtics will be able to compete with the Heat, he doesn't hesitate to answer.

"Oh definitely," Wafer said with confidence. "I think [Rajon] Rondo said it best. Looking at our team, what we've got and the experience we have, I think the only team that can beat us is ourselves. Those guys haven't played one game together yet. They look good on paper, unbelievable on paper, but they haven't done anything yet. They still have a lot to prove."

Wafer knows all about having something to prove. After his failed stint in Greece, he feels that fans have gotten the wrong impression about him and he sees this season as an opportunity to save his career and really surprise people.

"I was talking to Coach Rivers during our meeting and he was like, 'Von, we only have the minimum to offer.' I told him, 'Coach, it doesn't matter. I'll sign for whatever, anything,'" Wafer recalls with a laugh.

"I'm just hungry right now. I really didn't want to tell people that because they've heard it a million times but I really am so hungry and I have so much to prove. I can't let that be the last time people heard from me, going out with Olympiakos. I take a lot of pride in my game and what people think of me and I don't want that to be how I'm remembered. I've got to write another chapter."
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 pm

bob
Thanks for the info,this bench is really taking shape in a good way,with Nate,Bradley,Wafer,Quis and Harongady who ran floor surprsingly well in SL all at the 1-3,this bench could be that uptempo unit that Sam craves.Now if we can still get Shaq to further scatter some bodies for a few minutes......
cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:57 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

When late-night host Jimmy Kimmel asked NBA free agent Shaquille O'Neal if he'd be interested in playing for the Celtics, O'Neal answered positively.

"Right now I'm on the 730-day program, which means I have two years left," said O'Neal. "So I'm going to try to sign with the right team."

Kimmel asked if the Celtics would be the right team.

"Celtics would be a good program," said O'Neal.

Asked if Boston would be a good place to go, O'Neal said, "Yes, it would."

O'Neal told Kimmel it would not be weird to put on a Celtics uniform after playing for the Lakers, but he dodged a question about whether Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, or LeBron James was the best player he teamed up with.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm

this shaq stuff is heating up. i think we are going to sign him.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:29 pm

jeb65 wrote:this shaq stuff is heating up. i think we are going to sign him.

jeb,

I think I'm gonna puke.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Shaq's facing reality and getting desperate. This article also suggests where his real priorities are...

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68505/20100803/shaq_has_tested_european_market/
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:37 pm

bob

the big shamrock...egads.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandon$$ Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Shaq 'close' to deal with Celtics

Desperate for frontcourt depth and intrigued by what the self-described "Most Dominant Ever" big man has left in his 38-year-old tank, the Boston Celtics were "close" on Tuesday, according to a league source, to signing center Shaquille O'Neal for next season.

The Celtics, the source said, have told O'Neal that he has to come off the bench next season, and that O'Neal said he could accept a reserve role for the first time in his career. The three-time Finals MVP has not had many suitors this summer that had either the playing time or money to offer him, and O'Neal is running out of places that can give him a chance to compete for a championship as his career draws to a close.

Boston was leery of signing O'Neal because if he became unhappy with his role, that unhappiness could pervade the entire team, as the Celtics believe happened with O'Neal in some of his previous stops in recent seasons. O'Neal started in his one season last year with the Cavaliers, including after his return from a right thumb injury that kept him out of the final five weeks of the regular season.

Sources have indicated that Cleveland Coach Mike Brown's decision to play O'Neal ahead of forward J.J. Hickson and veteran big man Zydrunas Ilgauskas caused friction within the Cavaliers' locker room.

O'Neal averaged 12 points and 6.7 rebounds for the Cavaliers, shooting a still-robust 56.6 percent from the floor, and seemed to mesh reasonably well with LeBron James. Brown, who was fired after Cleveland's second-round loss to Boston in the playoffs, mixed and matched lineups throughout the regular season, including playing O'Neal and Ilgauskas together at times. Until the loss to the Celtics, there wasn't much complaining about his use of O'Neal.

O'Neal has told associates for several weeks that he thought he could help the Celtics, who will be without starting center Kendrick Perkins for most of, if not all, of next season after tearing his MCL and PCL in Game 6 of the Finals last June against the Lakers. Perkins underwent surgery two weeks ago, and while he hopes to play next season, the Celtics aren't optimistic that he'll be able to contribute much. In the interim, veteran center Jermaine O'Neal--signed to a two-year deal earlier this summer--will start at center for Boston.

Boston is two big men down after Perkins's injury and the retirement of Rasheed Wallace, who has given the team no indication that he's re-considering his decision.

Both Boston and O'Neal are motivated to make this arrangement work. The Celtics still need big bodies to deal with the likes of Dwight Howard in the east, and the Lakers' Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum if they were to make the Finals again next year. Without Perkins on the floor, Boston was bludgeoned 53-40 on the glass, giving up 23 offensive rebounds, in the decisive Game 7 loss to Los Angeles. For his part, O'Neal still wants a chance at a fifth NBA championship, especially now that Kobe Bryant has five and is going for a Threepeat next season as the unquestioned leader of the Lakers.

Comcast SportsNet Boston first reported that the Celtics were near a deal with O'Neal.
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:16 pm

its trickling in...maybe fatty will show up in shape...starting to look true.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

The Official Free Agents and Trades 2010 Offseason thread - Page 12 Empty boss ton coming to celts?

Post by jeb Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Here he comes. Looking very likely...wow. Thoughts?

No Question
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15 ... 19  Next