worcester
mrkleen09
cowens/oldschool
18 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Jaylen and Jayson - Page 3 Empty Re: Jaylen and Jayson

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:25 am

mrkleen09 wrote:I think Jayson will continue to fill out and he has the body type to be much more physical and assertive than KD or Alex English.  Having said that, if he can score without having to crash into bodies 40x a night, his game will be more consistent and his body will hold up over a longer period of time.

To top it all off, they both seem to be good kids - and good people, so I see nothing but positive upside here.  Exciting time to be a Celtics fan.

Agreed, Jayson has already exceeded my expectations with how well he competes as a 4, he’s grabbing a lot of big boards in traffic, as he fills out, he’ll be even more physical....no question.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 am

Yep, at 21 he is already much more physical and grabbing boards. Wait until he's 25 to get a better picture of his game. Kobe will be asking him for tips.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:17 pm

worcester wrote:Yep, at 21 he is already much more physical and grabbing boards. Wait until he's 25  to get a better picture of his game. Kobe will be asking him for tips.

worcester,

I'd be happier if he boarded, passed it to a ballhandler and then ran without the ball to the rim. I see him leak out on fast breaks without the ball but I cannot remember ever seeing Jayson Tatum rebound, give it up, and then run. He always seems to want to bring it up himself.

He should be asking Jaylen for tips. Jaylen does this very well.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:19 pm

True dat
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
Jaylen Brown doesn't have a consistent nickname, so I asked him for his choice. He said he can't give himself a nickname, but wouldn't mind — wink, wink — if it was Green Goblin. What do we think America?

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm ok with "The Green Goblin".  The Green Gobblin' would be ok too, although he better not ever blow up like Sully, then it'll be bad.  He's a vegetarian, says the only thing stopping him from going full vegan is ice cream, so he probably won't be getting fat.  

Remember when Bill Walton was a vegetarian and it was considered to be positively freakish that a professional athlete wouldn't eat red meat?  Ray Allen's pre-game meal was some roast chicken but he said he hadn't had a hamburger since a sophomore at UConn, and Ray Allen continued to play at an acceptably NBA level until he was 38.  19 seasons is ridiculously long career and he did it with minimal, if not zero, red meat.  Times change.  (and, no, I am not a vegetarian, so I'm not repping).

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:36 pm

Jaylen feasts on red meat on the court.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:44 pm

worcester wrote:Jaylen feasts on red meat on the court.

worcester,

Technically, Cleveland's colors are burgundy and gold, not red.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:

worcester,

bob

Seems like Sexton/Osman/Love vs Brown/Tatum/Hayward

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:56 pm

KyleCleric wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

worcester,

bob

Kyle,

Looks like a bloodbath.  Maybe I was wrong, maybe red is the correct color.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:32 pm

bobheckler wrote:
KyleCleric wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

worcester,

bob

Kyle,

Looks like a bloodbath.  Maybe I was wrong, maybe red is the correct color.

bob

Good opportunity for Kanter, too. Should be able stay with Thompson and Henson. They’ll have tough time on the boards or D with his size.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:34 pm

I love red meat and lots of it...lol

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:12 pm

Speaking of the two J's - what about that other double J Danny could have drafted instead of Jayson, the guy for whom some people were clamoring to wind up in Boston? Josh Jackson is to whom I am referring - how is he doing now in the D league?

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2019/11/09/josh-jacksons-g-league-debut-differs-phoenix-suns-kansas-chapters/2518009001/

Think of the top four picks in that draft - Fultz, Ball, Tatum, and Jackson. Think of that!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Never liked his game, as soon as I saw him, said he’s the next Cory Brewer

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:30 pm

You sure couldn't tell how each of them played by the game on thread. It would appear that Jaylen played like Michael Jordan and Jayson played like Chris Dudley. Then I looked at the boxscore. Mad Mad

tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 pm

I never liked Josh Jackson either. Sure glad Danny is a better judge of talent than the Sun's GM, the Lakers old GM, and the Sixers GM.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:19 pm

tardust wrote:You sure couldn't tell how each of them played by the game  on thread.  It would appear that Jaylen played like Michael Jordan and Jayson played like Chris Dudley.  Then I looked at the boxscore.  Mad Mad

Jaylen played like he has last 5-6 games, looks like a budding all star.

I thought Jayson played very well too, hit a plethora of 3’s, rebounded like a stud, didn’t notice on game on anyone ripping him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:30 pm

Jayson's 11 RB are no small accomplishment.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:42 pm

worcester wrote:Jayson's 11 RB are no small accomplishment.

Thompson and Love can board with anybody, Kantor usually does better, Tatum’s boards were crucial

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:32 am

Ok, I am humbled. GWill has now sunk 100% more NBA three's than I ever have or ever will. Time to shut my mouth.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:01 pm

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/12/10/21004578/boston-celtics-jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-arrive-right-on-time

Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown have finally proven they can be franchise players

The Celtics are getting everything they hoped for from Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown.

By Paul Flannery  

Dec 10, 2019, 10:40am EST

Jaylen and Jayson - Page 3 Celtics.0
Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown are fulfilling their potential for the Celtics.

Late in the third quarter of a game against the Denver Nuggets on Friday, the thing that everyone who follows the Celtics has been waiting to see happen unfolded gloriously in the span of about 30 seconds. Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum went BOOM, delivering a devastating one-two punch that reverberated throughout the Garden.

First, while leading the break, Tatum dropped off a casually perfect pass to Brown for a thunderous tomahawk dunk. Then, on the next possession, Tatum whirled, jab stepped, pivoted, and buried a three-point shot with the clock winding down. The Celtics had been in control of this one from the tip, but Jaylen and Jayson’s emphatic exclamations left no doubt that it was over.

There have been moments over the years when either Tatum or Brown have carried the Celtics. There have been times when both of them have done so during the same game. Rare, however, have been the moments when Tatum and Brown exploded on an opponent while working in tandem together.

During the two-plus years they have been on the same roster, it’s often appeared as if both players were following their own linear paths on opposite sides of the street. Earmarked from Day One as a superstar in training, Tatum’s offensive game has been heavily scrutinized. Tagged as a two-way threat from about the middle of his rookie season onward, Brown’s contributions have been tougher to pin down, yet just as picked over as Tatum’s.

Together, they made for an intriguing pair of talents, but the question remains: Is this really a dynamic duo that you can build a franchise around? Over the last few weeks, Brown and Tatum have answered that in the affirmative.

Coming into Monday’s game against the Cavs, Tatum was averaging 25-6-5 over his last three outings, while Brown has been at 27-and-5. Each has shown subtle variations to their multifaceted games.

The Tatum assists, for example, are a lovely addition for a player who had tended toward isolation scoring opportunities. Brown, who has always insisted that he has far more in his bag than he’d been allowed to display, is revealing new dimensions on a nightly basis thanks to his much-improved handle.

That dream sequence against the Nuggets was the culmination of the kind of promise that only two young up-and-coming stars can provide. Free agency signings are wonderful things, but to have two 20-something homegrown players blossom at the same time is the stuff that fuels dynastic visions.

Despite taking both players with top-three picks in back-to-back drafts, it was not always clear this was the way they their futures would unfold. One of them, if not both, would presumably be sacrificed on the altar of a blockbuster trade.

Once the Celtics signed Brown to a four-year, $115 million extension before the season started, their way forward was clear. No more lusting over disgruntled superstars on downtrodden teams. The Celtics will rise and fall based on Jaylen and Jayson’s progress. If this season is about anything beyond wins and losses, it’s about allowing the room for Jaylen and Jayson to develop organically.

There has never been any real question that Tatum would eventually become this kind of player. Even while he dabbled in the dark arts of the Mamba mentality during last season’s trainwreck, the raw material was simply too compelling to think he’d disappear forever into the murky world of poor shot selection.

As expected, Tatum cut way down on his diet of contested long two’s this season, replacing those ill-considered shots with far more healthier three-pointers. He’s also rebounded better, defended more consistently, and become a plus/minus monster.

What’s strange about Tatum’s campaign is that he seems to have lost his touch around the rim. An optimist would suggest that aspect of his game will catch back up in time. He’s simply too long and crafty to struggle in the paint forever. At any rate, Tatum is still barely scratching the surface of his All-NBA potential.

Brown’s path has been a bit more circuitous. Lacking Tatum’s polish, Brown’s abilities have been in the eyes of the beholder. Before the Celtics took him with the third pick of the 2016 draft there were league executives who had him rated in the 20s as opposed to the high lottery. He’s been proving people wrong ever since.

While Brown showed flashes of sublime excellence over his first few seasons, this season has been one long extended highlight reel. It’s that handle that has allowed him to succeed.

Where before his body hadn’t quite caught up with that engaging brain of his, now he’s able to get where he needs to go on the floor gracefully. Throw in much-improved shooting and he is making an excellent case for All-Star inclusion.

Their hot stretch came at a time with a stack of home games lined up just as the Celtics had begun to wobble ever so slightly. Regaining equilibrium was necessary, of course, but to do so without Gordon Hayward was equally important.

Hayward returned to the lineup against Cleveland after missing 13 games with a fractured hand and didn’t miss a beat. Before his injury, Hayward had been the Celtics’ best player. Now, there’s competition for that honor. Healthy competition, one can assume, given the way the Celtics have attacked this season.

That win over the Nuggets, incidentally, was a big deal because Denver has had Boston’s number the last few years. Last March, the Nuggets blasted the Celtics off the Garden court, adding yet another dispiriting loss to Boston’s ledger.

It was impossible to not feel the difference between the two teams that night. The young and eager Nuggets earnestly celebrated a well-earned playoff berth, while the miserable C’s dragged themselves toward the end of a frustrating campaign. Juxtapose that with this season where the C’s are singing “Kumbaya” and the Nuggets are trying to recapture that loving feeling.

It can not be overstated how little affection Boston had for its Celtics last season. What was lost in the hand wringing over last season’s disaster, however, was that while the faithful may have been frustrated with the on-court product, they hadn’t given up on the potential of their young stars in waiting.

This has always been the promise of Jaylen and Jayson. Now, it may finally be happening.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:43 pm

2 years ago without Hayward and without Irving I was completely sold that the J's were the future for Boston.  

Perhaps the best thing that made Danny's decision easier was AD going to LA and KI landing in Brooklyn.  Ideas about a Brown/Sabonis Swap were floated like an unflushed turd.  Fans debated Brown's value and made the false assumption that Danny rarely resigns rookies before he has to.  Make him prove what he is worth before paying him. There are exceptions to every rule.

Now that the smoke has cleared everyone can see clearly.  Fans have gone from make him wait to he looks like an Allstar.  Both Jaylen and Jason look like allstar candidates.  

That would be a great accomplishment for jobs well done.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:10 pm

worcester wrote:I never liked Josh Jackson either. Sure glad Danny is a better judge of talent than the Sun's GM, the Lakers old GM, and the Sixers GM.

Speaking of the Lakers, they could have drafted both Jaylen and Jayson, imagine those 2 playing with Lebron right now...???

That team would be unbeatable even without AD, they wouldn’t even need him. Thank the hoop gods things turned out the way they did....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:20 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
worcester wrote:I never liked Josh Jackson either. Sure glad Danny is a better judge of talent than the Sun's GM, the Lakers old GM, and the Sixers GM.

Speaking of the Lakers, they could have drafted both Jaylen and Jayson, imagine those 2 playing with Lebron right now...???

That team would be unbeatable even without AD, they wouldn’t even need him. Thank the hoop gods things turned out the way they did....

He is in the g league and has been suspended for one game.

I am so glad they passed on him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:

Cow,

You're right!  I completely forgot they picked #2 right before us both times, taking Ingram and Ball (which, to their credit, turned into AD).

Imagine if it went the other way.  Imagine if Danny had taken Ingram because LAL passed on him and took Brown instead (if Brown was off the table he might, if LAL had passed on Ingram) and if they had taken Tatum instead of Ball.  They could have too.  Danny traded the #1 pick to Philly before draft day.  He was banking on Magic following through on his public commitment to draft Ball but imagine if, after Danny gave up the #1 pick and they had the pick of the rest of the litter they took Tatum.  We'd have Ingram, who is starting to fulfill his potential, and Lonzo Ball.  And LAL could still get AD and maybe only give up one of the two, packaging Kuzma and one of the two.

Trader Danny would be working overtime now trying to remedy that.  As it is, both of those two players are untouchable.  Danny will break the piggy bank to re-sign Tatum unless KAT becomes available (Embiid too, but he won't be available unless we pry him out of Elton Brand's cold dead fingers).

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:18 pm

How many four leaf clovers does Danny have stashed away in his wallet? What an amazingly lucky GM he has been. Imagine Jaylen and Jayson in LA. Whew. We dodged two bullets!!!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next