cowens/oldschool
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jabari Parker in green - Page 2 Empty Re: Jabari Parker in green

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:27 am

sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Anybody knows details of the contract?
I presume JP will be eligible to play in playoffs?
Overall, I think, it's a low risk swap (Parker for Wagner) with potential high return.

AK

sinus,

I would expect this 2 year deal would be this year's money being guaranteed and next year's being a team option.  Parker was waived weeks ago and nobody picked him up off the waiver wire, he's not a high-demand free agent.  If I'm right it's a very low-cost "look" at Parker.  If we like him we pick up his contract for next year.  If we don't, buh-bye. Whatever he gives us this year is more than Wagner was going to give us. I suspect the implosion at the Staples Center in Wagner's 5 minute stint traumatized Brad, and I don't/didn't see Brad inserting him (or Edwards or Waters) again this year. Lord knows I wouldn't.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:31 am

He is still young and an experienced vet with something to prove, he knows he has to do well here to further survive in this league. He will be motivated and playing with a lot of talent at times and against other 2nd units at times. This could work.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am

Parker highlights.  It always concerns me when none of them are defensive ones...

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:36 am

bobheckler wrote:
sinus007 wrote:Hi,
Anybody knows details of the contract?
I presume JP will be eligible to play in playoffs?
Overall, I think, it's a low risk swap (Parker for Wagner) with potential high return.

AK

sinus,

I would expect this 2 year deal would be this year's money being guaranteed and next year's being a team option.  Parker was waived weeks ago and nobody picked him up off the waiver wire, he's not a high-demand free agent.  If I'm right it's a very low-cost "look" at Parker.  If we like him we pick up his contract for next year.  If we don't, buh-bye.  Whatever he gives us this year is more than Wagner was going to give us.  I suspect the implosion at the Staples Center in Wagner's 5 minute stint traumatized Brad, and I don't/didn't see Brad inserting him (or Edwards or Waters) again this year.  Lord knows I wouldn't.

Bob

Those guys dug their own grave. Rooted for all of them, but they were that pitiful against other G-Leaguers, can’t perform like that.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:16 pm

I was just as traumatized!!!! I had shut down my computer and was sitting watching the last 6 or 7 minutes of the game and could not believe my eyes. All these guys did was throw the ball around, jack up long range three point shots and lose the ball. I wonder if there were any rebounds during that stint. At the end of the game, when it got down to 5 points, Brad ran down the sidelines and put his starters back in. This ticked him off, and I bet it ticked off the starters.
Wagner looked like he did not know what end of the court he was playing for. Waters thought he was back in the Gleague flipping balls around, and Edwards???? who knows.

All I do know is that they blew a 20 point lead and their chance to get into any games of any meaning with more than two minutes left. Wipe out the end of that bench and move on.

Parker could not be worse than Wagner, he was useless. I see the Celtics keeping Nesmith and Romeo, but others gone.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:21 pm

FINALLY!! A Parker highlight film that shows some defense!

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:14 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to have a pick up like this turn into a major hit for Danny? I know this kid has bounced around, but maybe, just maybe, being around the young studs we have, will push this kid into training better and picking up the defense. Wishful thinkingn? Maybe, but remember I always look at things thru green colored glasses
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:FINALLY!!  A Parker highlight film that shows some defense!

Bob

Great highlights, I’m thinking this is gonna work out....we don’t need another rookie

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:43 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to have a pick up like this turn into a major hit for Danny?  I know this kid has bounced around, but maybe, just maybe, being around the young studs we have, will push this kid into training better and picking up the defense.  Wishful thinkingn? Maybe, but remember I always look at things thru green colored glasses

This is pretty much my hope for this pick up. This is a low probability even with our green goggles on especially for this season that has what 8 games left? But I would settle for someone that can score and is athletic to supplement the bench even if he cannot play defense (or does not want to...yet).

Very much the definition of a restoration project. But considering the known limitations on what Danny could actually do this season it seems a solid no risk, high potential on lower probability play. I like the move.

I have not watched the bench fiasco yet but I thought Wagner (Waters and Edwards as well) was a player that would never contribute anything to the Celtics anyway. So all thumbs up by replacing 0 value for a risky play that could have 0 value, but at least has potential Smile

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:33 pm

A number 2 pick who is 26 and has played for 6 teams. He has had some injury issues but lets face it, so far Jabari Parker has been a bust. That’s not to say he will not help us. Anything is possibbbbllleeee.
What troubles me is that this team has recently made moves to get under the luxury tax which is why Theis (who is a better player than both Wagner and Jabari for us) and who I think would help us more than Parker has left Massachusetts. When teams or companies for that matter decide to become bean counters and take their eye off the real prize they very seldom end up with anything resembling a chip. I’m concerned that this is what this team is morphing into.
I hope this move proves me wrong and Parker ends up being the a huge asset off the bench but the recent moves make me very uncomfortable.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:52 pm

gyso wrote:https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/parkeja01.html

Jabari Parker played 3 games this season for the Kings.  Who knows why they didn't play him more, they are the Kings.  It seems like he was not in their plans, so maybe the reason for the trade last season had nothing to do with him.  Salary dump, who knows?

He played 38 games last season, 32 for the Hawks and 6 games for the Kings after he was traded.  TOT in the chart means Total and is used to combine the season's stats when a player is traded during the season.  He played 26 mpg before he was traded to the Kings, so I wouldn't necessarily hold his time with Sacto against him.

I hope he can do just fine against other team's bench players.  I see him as another low cost addition for Brad to play with.  We can definitely use his offense.

We get what we pay for.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:04 pm

I think he will help us.

We have a very low bar here.  Our bench is the weakness on this team.  All year we have cried out for veteran and Parker in a limited role may be just what the dr ordered.

He is not going to light it up from outside but he is fairly athletic and has some skills.  He can rebound and score at the rim and he has a decent handle.

Look at it this way.  Grant Williams plays 18.6 MPG and averages 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds.  Semi plays 17.7 MPG and has averaged 4.9 Points and 2.7 rebounds.

If Parker can stay healthy, he is clearly an upgrade.

We have to see how he fits but I feel pretty positive about his addition to the team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 pm

dboss wrote:I think he will help us.

We have a very low bar here.  Our bench is the weakness on this team.  All year we have cried out for veteran and Parker in a limited role may be just what the dr ordered.

He is not going to light it up from outside but he is fairly athletic and has some skills.  He can rebound and score at the rim and he has a decent handle.

Look at it this way.  Grant Williams plays 18.6 MPG and averages 4.4 points and 2.9 rebounds.  Semi plays 17.7 MPG and has averaged 4.9 Points and 2.7 rebounds.

If Parker can stay healthy, he is clearly an upgrade.

We have to see how he fits but I feel pretty positive about his addition to the team.

We’ll see

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Kornet is a keeper imho...much better to keep him than CE or TW...a good 11, 12, or 13 man off the bench
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:51 am

If we can get what we got out of Parker last night we’re in good shape.

Way to soon to say and there’s a long history of players starting off hot with a new team then comes the fizzle.

That inside scoring really opens up the offense.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 am

Ktron wrote:A number 2 pick who is 26 and has played for 6 teams. He has had some injury issues but lets face it, so far Jabari Parker has been a bust. That’s not to say he will not help us. Anything is possibbbbllleeee.
What troubles me is that this team has recently made moves to get under the luxury tax which is why Theis (who is a better player than both Wagner and Jabari for us) and who I think would help us more than Parker has left Massachusetts. When teams or companies for that matter decide to become bean counters and take their eye off the real prize they very seldom end up with anything resembling a chip. I’m concerned that this is what this team is morphing into.
I hope this move proves me wrong and Parker ends up being the a huge asset off the bench but the recent moves make me very uncomfortable.

He might be a bust as a no 2 pick, but as a role player he already showed he has skills that Semi and GWill don’t have and he can help us.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:28 pm

Small sample size, but JP certainly exceeded expectations so far.  He was expected to play a roll off the bench, but no one saw him as a crunch time player.

When Jaylen Brown returns, Parker won't see much crunch time, but going forward, he could be a player who fills in when either of the two J's get in foul trouble.

I can't wait until Fournier returns.  If we can stay healthy going into the playoffs, we will be every team's nightmare.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:51 pm

gyso wrote:Small sample size, but JP certainly exceeded expectations so far.  He was expected to play a roll off the bench, but no one saw him as a crunch time player.

When Jaylen Brown returns, Parker won't see much crunch time, but going forward, he could be a player who fills in when either of the two J's get in foul trouble.

I can't wait until Fournier returns.  If we can stay healthy going into the playoffs, we will be every team's nightmare.

gyso,

I'm thinking that, when Jaylen returns, it will be Semi and/or Grant whose minutes will be cut. Those two guys are decent defenders but are zeros on offense. Parker might be a zero, or close to it, on defense but he's a two-legged bucket on offense.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:04 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:Small sample size, but JP certainly exceeded expectations so far.  He was expected to play a roll off the bench, but no one saw him as a crunch time player.

gyso,

I'm thinking that, when Jaylen returns, it will be Semi and/or Grant whose minutes will be cut.  Those two guys are decent defenders but are zeros on offense.  Parker might be a zero, or close to it, on defense but he's a two-legged bucket on offense.

Bob

Bob,

I agree. Semi will (IMO) most likely get pushed further down the bench than Grant. Parker seemed taller (longer?) than I expected and he seems to be able to get above the rim better than either Grant or Semi.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:51 am

Jay King @ByJayKing
2 minutes ago
Jabari Parker said after the Kings waived him, he spent some time working out in Chicago. He said he’s a fan of the Celtics and “they do things the right way.”

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:58 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Ktron wrote:A number 2 pick who is 26 and has played for 6 teams. He has had some injury issues but lets face it, so far Jabari Parker has been a bust. That’s not to say he will not help us. Anything is possibbbbllleeee.

He might be a bust as a no 2 pick, but as a role player he already showed he has skills that Semi and GWill don’t have and he can help us.

I’ve compared him to no one. I’m only hoping for our sake and his that he becomes a huge help off the bench. We’ll see.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Well he was completely lost on defense, way worse than Kanter ever was. But this is why he is a project according to Brad. Brad is very specific about his players knowing how to play proper defense. Unless they are stars and then they somehow get a pass which he still cannot seem to see is a problem needs changing, but this is a differnt matter all together.

Offensively he is much better than GWill or Semi already and much more athletic to boot despite obviously not really in shape right now.

A reclamation project definitely. I do not expect him to play much in the playoffs if at all. Mainly because Semi and Gwill has intangibles on defense he just cannot hope to match even if he is serious about becoming a decent defender in the short amount of time until the playoffs start.
I cannot remember which quarter it was but the best example for this was a possession where Semi ended up guarding Curry and completely shut him down. Could not get past him, shoot over him or bully/trick him out of place.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm

JP signed a 2 year contract worth $2.7 ,million.  Only this year's salary of $416,834 is guaranteed.   Next year his non-guaranteed salary is $2.28 million.

Basically Danny got him on the cheap.  He will be an unrestricted FA in 2022.   So he plays out the rest of this year and the playoffs.  I am not sure what the drop dead date is for the Celtics to guarantee his 2nd year.  

He could be a low cost keeper for the 2021-22 season or be a player that could be moved.  If he is able to stray healthy he looks like a 18-20 MPG veteran rotation guy.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2