jrleftfoot
worcester
gyso
Ktron
bobheckler
16 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Players That MAY Become Available This Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: Players That MAY Become Available This Offseason

Post by gyso Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:12 am

Bob,

We really don't know the medical reality of either Kemba or Zinger.  With that said, the rule of thumb is that skilled bigs are harder to find than skilled smalls, so always trade for the bigs.

I'd do the trade, Kemba for Zinger.  If Dallas doesn't want Kemba, then find a third team.

Then Smart starts, Prichard off the bench and add a min vet PG.  Brad wanted Romeo to handle the ball, maybe that experiment continues.  

Our bigs are Zinger, RWill, TT and maybe Kornet.

How's that sound?

Back to top Go down

Players That MAY Become Available This Offseason - Page 3 Empty Re: Players That MAY Become Available This Offseason

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 am

gyso wrote:Bob,

We really don't know the medical reality of either Kemba or Zinger.  With that said, the rule of thumb is that skilled bigs are harder to find than skilled smalls, so always trade for the bigs.

I'd do the trade, Kemba for Zinger.  If Dallas doesn't want Kemba, then find a third team.

Then Smart starts, Prichard off the bench and add a min vet PG.  Brad wanted Romeo to handle the ball, maybe that experiment continues.  

How's that sound?

GYSO,

You had me until Kornet. I've soured on him, although I'm trying to mentally cut him some slack like I'm trying to do with Fournier. Both are mid-season acquisitions. No training camp, and there isn't a lot of time for practice during the season.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:07 pm

bobheckler wrote:

How's that sound?

GYSO,

You had me until Kornet.  I've soured on him, although I'm trying to mentally cut him some slack like I'm trying to do with Fournier.  Both are mid-season acquisitions.  No training camp, and there isn't a lot of time for practice during the season.

Bob

bobh

There is no if that the Mavs will not want Kemba so you definitely have to have a third team involved that wants Kemba and also has something that the Mavs want. Good luck trying to pull that one off.

Consider that the Mavs would be losing their starting center so therefore they would want Robert Williams who would be an excellent target for Doncic or they would be needing a big man from that 3rd unnamed team. And the team that gets Kemba would want something more than broke down overpaid kemba. As you can see it would be extremely complicated and in the end Boston could come out holding the wrong end of the stick.

I know it is probably going to cost us something to move Kemba but what should the Celtics be willing to give up to make that happen?

The Celtics need to be careful not to make another mistake in order to correct a mistake. While the Kemba situation impedes where this team wants to go it is still only 2 years of purgatory left. So if you have to keep him for one more year his value as an expiring contract will increase next year and worse comes to worse you work up a buyout and use the stretch provision.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Best option distasteful as it is may just be to keep KW one more year then stretch provision him away for year 4.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:10 pm

worcester wrote:Best option distasteful as it is may just be to keep KW one more year then stretch provision him away for year 4.

W

The recent kemba knee bone bruise was unrelated to the knee issue. So the bad knee was not the problem

In your opinion would it be beneficial for him to have a second procedure done on that bad knee during the offseason?

I think Kemba could be helped by playing him a few less minutes per game. Maybe keep him in the 27-28 range.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:29 pm

dboss wrote:Bobh

Best solution is to add a quality player or two to what you already have.

I read some comments by Max and I do not agree with him.  I would not trade him for KAT or Michael Porter Jr.  Funny that MP plays the same position as JT.  His name being thrown in there is evidence that Max is illogical.

KAT is a loser.  That is why Butler left that team.  Besides I'm sticking with RW so I doubt they are looking to add a starting center.

MP isn’t necessarily super-glued to the position that JT plays, I mean he is a basketball player that can play more than one position-effectively. KAT is in a bad environment with a lot of personal sh**t on his plate. I don’t believe for a minute that he is a loser. He can play. Butler doesn’t get along with very many players and he’s certainly no judge of excellence so I wouldn’t use Jimmy B as a barometer.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:15 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/06/what-can-celtics-do-with-gordon-hayward-trade-exception-before-remainder-of-it-expires-in-august.html

What can Celtics do with Gordon Hayward trade exception before remainder of it expires in August?

Updated 1:00 PM; Today 1:00 PM

Players That MAY Become Available This Offseason - Page 3 JHBRFXYFNFDKPPKYDVSL2O6M3Q
Charlotte Hornets forward Gordon Hayward brings the ball down court against the Dallas Mavericks during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Charlotte, N.C. Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2021. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics do not have much flexibility to make improvements to their roster this offseason via the free-agent market. The team is currently projected to be in the NBA luxury tax based on their current payroll, which limits their resources to add players on the open market to the taxpayer midlevel exception ($5.9 million) along with veteran’s minimum contracts. Those limited options will be put to use by Boston’s revamped front office this summer but will not be able to land the team a flashy upgrade in an already weak free agent market. A trade remains the better bet for a significant move.

However, there is one other tool at Boston’s disposal that, on the surface, looks like it may be able to help in the free-agent market despite the Celtics being over the cap. Boston still has a chunk of the Gordon Hayward trade exception remaining ($11 million) after using $17 million of it to acquire Evan Fournier for two second-round picks from the Orlando Magic back in March.

That $11 million exception is bigger than the NBA’s full mid-level exception ($9 million), opening the door for Boston to land a free agent with Bird Rights in a sign-and-trade, at least on paper.

However, there is a major obstacle that will prevent the Celtics from taking advantage of this potential path to adding a mid-level free agent without making several other subsequent moves to the roster. The reason? The NBA collective bargaining agreement makes it very tough for teams with big payrolls to add players via a sign-and-trade.

Here are two key rules about NBA sign-and-trades:

—A team acquiring a free agent via sign-and-trade can not be over the tax apron after the deal is completed and is hard-capped at the apron for the following season.

—A sign-and-trade contract has to last for at least three years with the first year of the contract fully guaranteed.

The first rule here is the big one for Boston. The apron (aka a hard cap) is something that gets triggered when a team makes certain moves in free agency. Taking part in a sign-and-trade is one of the things that puts it into effect. The Celtics were also hard capped last season after using the full mid-level exception to sign Tristan Thompson, another move that triggers it.

At the moment, the Celtics’ payroll is currently projected to be very close to NBA’s estimated $142 million apron for the 2021-22 season and that’s before even trying to re-sign Evan Fournier, who is expected to command upwards of $15 million per year on the open market. The Celtics’ payroll squeeze will get even tighter if Jayson Tatum makes the All-NBA team, bumping his annual salary by $5.6 million next year. That announcement is due later this month.

2021-22 Celtics salaries

Kemba Walker: $36 million

Jayson Tatum: $28.1 million ($33.7 million if he makes All-NBA)

Jaylen Brown: $26.8 million

Marcus Smart: $14.3 million

Tristan Thompson: $9.7 million

Romeo Langford: $3.8 million

Rob Williams: $3.6 million

Aaron Nesmith: $3.6 million

Grant Williams: $2.6 million

Payton Pritchard: $2.1 million

Carsen Edwards: $1.7 million

No. 16 pick: $3.2 million cap hold

Jabari Parker: $2.3 million (only $100k guaranteed)

Total: $135.9 million committed to 12 player slots (including No. 20 pick, non Tatum All-NBA)

2021-22 NBA Estimates:

Projected Salary cap: $112.4 million

Projected Luxury tax: $136.6 million

Projected Apron: $142 million

So what does this mean for the trade exception? Essentially, Boston will not be able to use it to sign-and-trade for any free agents this summer unless they do these two things:

1.  They find a way to cut tens of millions in salary from the payroll via trade (highly unlikely)
2.  They pass on re-signing Evan Fournier

Dumping lots of payroll will be a big challenge for this front office without including sweeteners in the form of young players/picks and that seems like a very hefty price to pay to just acquire a player making $11 million via a sign-and-trade while also hard capping the team for the year.

For that reason, it’s a strong bet that the Celtics will not be using this leftover Hayward trade exception (which expires in mid-August) in order to acquire a free agent this summer. That doesn’t mean the team will let it go to waste though. The Celtics are still allowed to acquire players already under contract that fit into the $11 million exception without dealing with the hard cap limitations of a sign-and-trade.

There is a very long list of players that fit that criteria (we will get into those later this month) but whethe any of those players will fit into Boston’s sizable payroll is perhaps the bigger question if that team plans on trying to re-sign Fournier as well. The willingness of Boston’s ownership to pay a big luxury tax bill will be a massive factor on this front.

Either way, this leftover trade exception is one roster building tool that the team should not let go to waste with limited means available to improve the roster. However, the Celtics are going to need to give him some value (via draft picks or players) in order to use what’s left of it and officially close the door on the trade return for Hayward’s departure.

Bob
MY NOTE:  I thought there was something wrong with this article's claim that Hayward's TPE expires in August.  I thought it expired sometime in October or November.

Here's an article dated November 29, 2020 that says the Celtics completed the Hayward sign-and-trade.  Shouldn't that mean the TPE from that trade expires one year from then?  If so, then Brad has a lot more time than this article suggests. A question I have is "can you use your TPE to facilitate trades for other teams? I think not, but that would be good.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/11/boston-celtics-complete-gordon-hayward-sign-and-trade-will-receive-trade-exception.html

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:01 pm

How's that sound?

This is basically my thinking as well. Replacing a star PG that cannot stay on the court with a star C that cannot stay on the court is still a marginal upgrade.
And it has the small chance potential that if he can stay on the court it might be a game changer.

We would still need a starting PG that is not called MS in that case though... A veteran PG that can push the ball.

In the end I wish the newly minted Celtics GM would come up with a better upgrade than that though.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Ktron wrote:

I read some comments by Max and I do not agree with him.  I would not trade him for KAT or Michael Porter Jr.  Funny that MP plays the same position as JT.  His name being thrown in there is evidence that Max is illogical.

KAT is a loser.  That is why Butler left that team.  Besides I'm sticking with RW so I doubt they are looking to add a starting center.

MP isn’t necessarily super-glued to the position that JT plays, I mean he is a basketball player that can play more than one position-effectively. KAT is in a bad environment with a lot of personal sh**t on his plate. I don’t believe for a minute that he is a loser. He can play. Butler doesn’t get along with very many players and he’s certainly no judge of excellence so I wouldn’t use Jimmy B as a barometer.
Ktron

MP is a SF/PF just like Tatum so why would you trade JB based on him and Tatum being so much alike.  Max is the one who mentioned MP.  His reasoning on that option is bizarre.

As far as KAT is concerned he can play.  He has played in 5 playoff games and I believe Butler was on the team at the time.  Butler basically questioned KAT's heart and commitment to winning.  But you already know that.  Guys like Max and Perk were players I enjoyed but I do not think it is right for them to undermine players on this team while being so closely connected.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:29 pm

dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Ktron

MP is a SF/PF just like Tatum so why would you trade JB based on him and Tatum being so much alike.  Max is the one who mentioned MP.  His reasoning on that option is bizarre.

As far as KAT is concerned he can play.  He has played in 5 playoff games and I believe Butler was on the team at the time.  Butler basically questioned KAT's heart and commitment to winning.  But you already know that.  Guys like Max and Perk were players I enjoyed but I do not think it is right for them to undermine players on this team while being so closely connected.

Have to get out of your feelings dboss. How are Max or Perk undermining players by suggesting trades or giving their assessment. Some ex-players do provide “hot takes” to get reactions at the other players expense and I have no respect for those types. I don’t think thats what Max is about and I’m always going to go with an ex players (honest) assessment because he’s been there. Btw, JB has played both sf and sg just like MP is capable of doing. I’m not totally on board with the trade. I think we could probably do better than Porter but MP and KAT for JB is not lopsided.Still not sure I’d do it but I don’t agree with your assessment here. Butler did question Kat’s heart and commitment but again, who is Butler to question anybody? I do remember Rondo questioning Butler’s leadership, especially with younger players so it comes down to who’s word you trust. I trust Rondo’s over Butler.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:36 pm

Max said either KAT or MP for Jaylen, not both and I’ve never seen MP play the 2, he’s not quick enough defensively and not a good enough ball handler on offense; he will continue to improve, but right now has a hard time creating for himself. He needs Jokic to set up his offense and goes thru alot of stretches where he can’t find his offense/shot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:40 pm

dboss, I have no idea if Kemba needs or would benefit from another knee operation.

Now a KP for KW trade seems more appealing to me. Small for a big. Gyso and Bob H convinced me upon second reading.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:30 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-mavericks-solve-luka-doncic-100000182.html

The Dallas Mavericks’ solve is to get Luka Doncic to stop hogging the ball | Opinion

Mac Engel
Wed, June 9, 2021, 3:00 AM

The Dallas Mavericks have no picks in the 2021 NBA Draft, the best free agent from a thin class is on their own roster, the head coach is not going anywhere, and the solutions are toilet bowl messy.

It starts by taking the ball out of Luka Doncic’s hands.

It includes with Kristaps Porzingis being trusted to do what he’s paid to do, and then actually doing it.

It ends by adding an adult in the room.

Step 1. Stop the James Harden routine

When it comes to ball hogs, our Luka Doncic is a ball hippo.

The NBA tracks how much time players have the ball in their hands, and in the playoffs Luka led the entire league in touches, time of possession, and was third in average seconds per touch.

Russell Westbrook could only be so lucky.

In the regular season, Luka was at the top of those categories, too.

But ... Luka’s assists.

In the regular season, Luka averaged 8.6 assists per game. In the postseason, that figure jumped to 10.3.

The day after the Mavs’ season ended, however, with their Game 7 loss to the LA Clippers on Sunday, “ball movement” was a theme for a reason.

The Mavs were third-worst in the playoffs in assists as a team, and 26th in the NBA in the regular season.

All of those Luka triple-double stats are intoxicating, but they come with a price. And limits.

“Part of his maturity is, again, knowing how to balance all of those kill shots with involving teammates at the right time,” Mavs GM Donnie Nelson told the media on Monday. “That’s part of the maturity process. As we move forward you’ll see more of an inclusive effort on those fronts.”

The Mavs have seen how far they can go with Luka doing everything but selling Texas Dawgs on the concourse at halftime, and it looks similar to how far the Houston Rockets traveled with Harden.

You can’t win it all built around a player who holds the ball this much.

Step 2. Figure out the KP Issue.

What Rick Carlisle did to KP in the 2021 NBA playoffs is akin to what happens to what they do to race horses when they no longer want it to be a boy horse.

There is no good explanation for this, other than they must think Porzingis is hurt and will never be the player he was before the knee injuries. Either that or he’s prepping for the Cowardly Lion role in “The Wizard of Oz” at summer stock kids’ theater.

Carlisle praised KP throughout the playoffs, because unless your last name is Odom or Rondo he always does that. Carlisle also said immediately after the series that Porzingis is moving better and is “finally healthy.”

If that is the case, then where is the logic in turning a 7-foot-3 unicorn into a 6-foot-3 small forward who sits at the 3-point line and doesn’t shoot the ball?

KP’s field goal attempts per game went from 15.9 in the regular season to 10.3 in the playoffs. And in the final month plus his value as a defender diminished to “meh” status.

Carlisle told 1310 The Ticket on Tuesday, “KP has great value as a spacer. He also has great value as a basketball player that cuts, moves, rolls and does those kinds of things.”

That’s probably worth $30 million alone.

“We’ll study it very closely over the summer and see where this roster goes,” Carlisle said.

That’s not a red flag, but sounds more like a checkered flag on KP’s time with the Mavs.

Expect rumors to fly the Mavs are trying to trade KP, who is signed for three more seasons at $30 million plus. Good luck with that.

Doncic said he wants to get KP more involved, and that is the only solution.

If it isn’t, thenKP will stand for KaPut.

Step 3. Find a veteran point guard.

This goes in conjunction with Step 1.

The Mavericks need an adult who knows what’s what, and is not afraid. They need a point guard who can take the load off Luka.

If for some reason Phoenix Suns veteran Chris Paul were to opt out of his contract — which he won’t — he would be the ideal fit.

Jalen Brunson played big-time ball in high school and at Villanova, but winning in the NBA playoffs is not like beating Kansas in the Final Four.

When Carlisle opted for reserve Trey Burke in the second half of Game 7, it wasn’t panic time as much as it was give up time.

Brunson is a nice player with upside, but this position is a need.

Other than the Mavs keeping Tim Hardaway Jr., free agency presents no real solutions.

The path for the Mavs to improve is messy, and it starts by taking the ball out of their best player’s hands.

Bob
MY NOTE:  One way to get the ball out of Luka's hands is to trade Zingis for Kemba.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:58 am

Yes, please Mark Cuban, trade for Kemba. Please!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:22 am

bobheckler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-mavericks-solve-luka-doncic-100000182.html

The Dallas Mavericks’ solve is to get Luka Doncic to stop hogging the ball | Opinion

Mac Engel

The Dallas Mavericks have no picks in the 2021 NBA Draft, the best free agent from a thin class is on their own roster, the head coach is not going anywhere, and the solutions are toilet bowl messy.

It includes with Kristaps Porzingis being trusted to do what he’s paid to do, and then actually doing it.

The NBA tracks how much time players have the ball in their hands, and in the playoffs Luka led the entire league in touches, time of possession, and was third in average seconds per touch.

But ... Luka’s assists.

In the regular season, Luka averaged 8.6 assists per game. In the postseason, that figure jumped to 10.3.

The day after the Mavs’ season ended, however, with their Game 7 loss to the LA Clippers on Sunday, “ball movement” was a theme for a reason.

The Mavs were third-worst in the playoffs in assists as a team, and 26th in the NBA in the regular season.

All of those Luka triple-double stats are intoxicating, but they come with a price. And limits.

“Part of his maturity is, again, knowing how to balance all of those kill shots with involving teammates at the right time,” Mavs GM Donnie Nelson told the media on Monday. “That’s part of the maturity process. As we move forward you’ll see more of an inclusive effort on those fronts.”

The Mavs have seen how far they can go with Luka doing everything but selling Texas Dawgs on the concourse at halftime, and it looks similar to how far the Houston Rockets traveled with Harden.

What Rick Carlisle did to KP in the 2021 NBA playoffs is akin to what happens to what they do to race horses when they no longer want it to be a boy horse.

There is no good explanation for this, other than they must think Porzingis is hurt and will never be the player he was before the knee injuries. Either that or he’s prepping for the Cowardly Lion role in “The Wizard of Oz” at summer stock kids’ theater.

Carlisle praised KP throughout the playoffs, because unless your last name is Odom or Rondo he always does that. Carlisle also said immediately after the series that Porzingis is moving better and is “finally healthy.”

If that is the case, then where is the logic in turning a 7-foot-3 unicorn into a 6-foot-3 small forward who sits at the 3-point line and doesn’t shoot the ball?

KP’s field goal attempts per game went from 15.9 in the regular season to 10.3 in the playoffs. And in the final month plus his value as a defender diminished to “meh” status.

Carlisle told 1310 The Ticket on Tuesday, “KP has great value as a spacer. He also has great value as a basketball player that cuts, moves, rolls and does those kinds of things.”

“We’ll study it very closely over the summer and see where this roster goes,” Carlisle said.

That’s not a red flag, but sounds more like a checkered flag on KP’s time with the Mavs.

Expect rumors to fly the Mavs are trying to trade KP, who is signed for three more seasons at $30 million plus. Good luck with that.

The Mavericks need an adult who knows what’s what, and is not afraid. They need a point guard who can take the load off Luka.

If for some reason Phoenix Suns veteran Chris Paul were to opt out of his contract — which he won’t — he would be the ideal fit.

Jalen Brunson played big-time ball in high school and at Villanova, but winning in the NBA playoffs is not like beating Kansas in the Final Four.

When Carlisle opted for reserve Trey Burke in the second half of Game 7, it wasn’t panic time as much as it was give up time.

Other than the Mavs keeping Tim Hardaway Jr., free agency presents no real solutions.

The path for the Mavs to improve is messy, and it starts by taking the ball out of their best player’s hands.

Bob
MY NOTE:  One way to get the ball out of Luka's hands is to trade Zingis for Kemba.

Interesting - I was actually thinking a lot of the same things about Doncic. There is no way any one player can put up those types of numbers without totally dominating the ball. And there is no way a team can win a championship with one player dominating the ball. Neither Jordon not Lebron could do it. Doncic has a lot of assists, which confuses the issue, but those assists arise from the fact that he literally always has the ball.

Sounds a little like Kemba for KP might make sense for both teams, but I hope Brad does his homework on KP - he is signed for more years than Kemba, and I think the final year is some ridiculous number.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:48 am

Shamrock1000 wrote:
bobheckler wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/dallas-mavericks-solve-luka-doncic-100000182.html

Mac Engel

But ... Luka’s assists.

Bob

Interesting - I was actually thinking a lot of the same things about Doncic. There is no way any one player can put up those types of numbers without totally dominating the ball. And there is no way a team can win a championship with one player dominating the ball. Neither Jordon not Lebron could do it. Doncic has a lot of assists, which confuses the issue, but those assists arise from the fact that he literally always has the ball.

Sounds a little like Kemba for KP might make sense for both teams, but I hope Brad does his homework on KP - he is signed for more years than Kemba, and I think the final year is some ridiculous number.

Shamrock,

This is a cut-and-paste from some of my thoughts from an earlier post on this thread. Your question regarding Porzingis' final contract year $ is answered here.

As far as contracts go, Zinger's contract has 3 more years left on it, two years guaranteed with a Player Option for the 3rd year. $65,484,000 guaranteed for 2021-2023, $36M Player Option in 2023-2024 for a total possible contract (assuming Porzingis picks up his Player Option) of $101.5M.

Kemba's contract has 2 years left on it, both guaranteed, for a total of $73.7M.

More total contract dollars with Porzingis (I'm going to assume he picks up the option) but spread over more years. Kemba is 31 years old and is an undersized guard with a cranky knee. Porzingis has knee problems too, but he's 25 years old. He's also 7'3", 240# with a 7'6" wingspan. I was a HUGE Porzingis fan when he was drafted but he hasn't lived up to his "unicorn" moniker. Still, he's no worse than back up center while Kemba is on his way to being a back up guard.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:50 am

Let me pose this question. How come it takes us more than a whole season to get playoff ready (only to be bounced in the first round) with all the injuries and COVID and everything else yet BKN seems to have taken about a week of playing together and their rolling the Bucks by 49 and playing #1 level-type defense and aren't even playing with a full deck?!! Wazzup with that?!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks Bob - the final year is in line with the previous 2 years. For some reason I thought the final year was some ridiculous number. I like Kemba for KP, and I still think KP is starter in the NBA (he averaged 20 and 9 last year, with a PER of 21). Plus, we already have a leprechaun, why not add a unicorn...

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Ktron wrote:
dboss wrote:
Ktron wrote:

Ktron

Have to get out of your feelings dboss. How are Max or Perk undermining players by suggesting trades or giving their assessment. Some ex-players do provide “hot takes” to get reactions at the other players expense and I have no respect for those types. I don’t think thats what Max is about and I’m always going to go with an ex players (honest) assessment because he’s been there. Btw, JB has played both sf and sg just like MP is capable of doing. I’m not totally on board with the trade. I think we could probably do better than Porter but MP and KAT for JB is not lopsided.Still not sure I’d do it but I don’t agree with your assessment here. Butler did question Kat’s heart and commitment but again, who is Butler to question anybody? I do remember Rondo questioning Butler’s leadership, especially with younger players so it comes down to who’s word you trust. I trust Rondo’s over Butler.

Actually I am looking at this objectively. I find Max's reasoning as obtuse particularly with MP. There is simply no positional value of trading JB for MP. Are you buying that one cause I am not.

I believe that adding to our pair of allstars would be better than trading one of them. And of course it always has to be JB that somehow appears more tradeable and less important.

We need more help at center. But I am not ready to give up on RW and that is exactly what you would be doing if you made a trade for KAT and used JB to make that happen. And then you would have to find another 2/3 wing. Keep in mind that JB is not your average everyday NBA player on and OFF the court. He is an extraordinary young man. His basketball abilities are still improving.

I see is no appreciable value in trading out a young allstar for another young allstar particularly when our young allstar is still on the rise. To me it would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

As far as Max and Perk are concerned they have a voice and can capture the ear of Celtics fans because they were drafted by the Celtics and each won at least a title. But they are not GM's....clearly not. They undermine players when they suggest that certain players should be traded because they are directly connected to the Celtics. If they were just sport commentators it would be different.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:39 pm

KP's contract - https://www.spotrac.com/nba/dallas-mavericks/kristaps-porzingis-17832/

Final year = $36,016,200, but compared to Kemba's contract it would only amount to $27.8M more (for an extra year) than we are required to pay KW for two years.

Actually, KP's contract would help us the next two years compared to Kemba's. KW is due $36,016,200 next year and $37,653,300 the year after. Then his contract is over. That really pushes us up and over the salary cap. How insane was Danny to sign such a contract? What other GM in the NBA would have offered him money like that?

KP is due $31,650,600 next year and $33,833,400 the year after. Thus we could save $4,365,600 next year and $3,819,900 the year after - considerable cap saving breathing room which would allow us to get other valuable role players for the next two years. If we are not happy with KP, then we could provision out his contract for 5 years and thus reduce the expense of his $36,016,200 final year.

I would do this deal in a NY minute.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:34 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Max said either KAT or MP for Jaylen, not both and I’ve never seen MP play the 2, he’s not quick enough defensively and not a good enough ball handler on offense; he will continue to improve, but right now has a hard time creating for himself. He needs Jokic to set up his offense and goes thru alot of stretches where he can’t find his offense/shot.

My bad. I thought he said both in a 3 way trade somehow. Hell no. Cancel that.
“Cant do it wont do it”- Mike Singletary

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:03 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rockets-expected-decline-avery-133019832.html

Report: Rockets expected to decline Avery Bradley’s team option

Ben DuBose
Sat, June 19, 2021, 6:30 AM

As ESPN’s Tim MacMahon sees it, Houston is not expected to pick up the $5.9-million team option on the contract of veteran guard Avery Bradley for the 2021-22 season. “I do expect the Rockets to turn down his team option,” MacMahon predicted (13:20) during a new ESPN podcast.

Now 30 years old, Bradley averaged 5.2 points (31.4% FG, 27.0% on 3-pointers), 2.3 rebounds, and 1.9 assists in 23.0 minutes per game with the Rockets. Known best for his perimeter defense, the 6-foot-2 guard was acquired with Kelly Olynyk as part of the late March trade that sent Victor Oladipo to Miami. If his team option is declined, Bradley would become an unrestricted free agent in the 2021 offseason.

Bradley shot 47.0% overall and 42.1% on 3-pointers with the Heat, but he suffered a right calf strain in February and couldn’t recapture that earlier form. The injury caused him to miss games in Houston, as well.

There’s reason to believe that Bradley’s numbers could bounce back in 2021-22 alongside better health, but he may not be a fit with the Rockets for other reasons. Consider that in the weeks after acquiring Bradley, Houston general manager Rafael Stone reached agreements with two younger backcourt options in Khyri Thomas and Armoni Brooks — who would seem to be a better fit with the team’s rebuilding timeline.

Moreover, with Bradley set to turn 31 later this year, he may prefer to be on a title contender at this stage of his NBA career. Based on those considerations, it probably doesn’t make sense for a rebuilding team like Houston to use nearly $6 million next season on a veteran who might not want to be there and doesn’t have a clear path to rotation minutes.

The free agency period of the 2021 offseason doesn’t begin until early August, so Stone and the Rockets still have a few more weeks to finalize their plans regarding Bradley and any other free agents.

Bob
MY NOTE:  The club option is/was for $5.9M.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:06 pm

Avery may defend and shoot, but he was never a pg.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:12 pm

worcester wrote:Avery may defend and shoot, but he was never a pg.

Yup.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 am

One thought: if the story about Zion's family wanting him to leave NOP is true (and if he's listening to them) then the chances of Lonzo Ball being on the trade block diminishes down to near zero. That would only leave Brandon Ingram, and that's not a real NBA team.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next