cowens/oldschool
Ktron
RosalieTCeltics
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Jabari Parker waived - Page 2 Empty Re: Jabari Parker waived

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:06 am

Trading 7’2’’ Brown who averaged nearly 9 rbs a game last year in 21 minutes for Richardson was a mistake IMO. Did this happen before Schröder dropped from the sky? Dumping Parker at the last minute, as noted, another mistake, at least in timing. The current roster will go only as far as RWill’s health allows because turnstile Kantor and ole Al are not going to stop any good team. I have a radical suggestion: getting a good center would be a Smart move, even if he has to go. They could start Schröder Nesmith, Brown, Tatum y RW, with Pritchard, Langford, GW, decent center, and AH as the second unit. Schröder looks slick; I think he’s the rental you want to buy. Can you imagine trying to keep up with him, the Js and RW? Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by atcross Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:15 am

Plausible analysis:

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/10/why-the-celtics-waived-jabari-parker-ahead-of-opening-night.html

atcross

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:30 am

Plausible but still border-line classless, in my opinion, in the way they did it. I'm guessing a lot of the players around the league agree with me. Like it or not and whether it was justified or not ( I think, at least to some extent it was) I seem to remember some players expressing outrage at the Celtics playing IT with a severely injured hip, using him as a recruiter and then showing him the door. This is obviously a less gut-wrenching situation, but I doubt that it helps with recruiting. Yes , I know, any major moves next year will be via trade, not free agency, but Boston is obviously, again like it or not,(and I don't) not the most favored free agent destination, and I don't think keeping a veteran player til the last minute, then releasing him is a very good optic. I suppose, giving them the benefit of the doubt, they may have showcased in in last preseason game for his benefit, because they sure as hades weren't using that game to assess his viability on the team.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:14 am

It looks financial to me. The team is so badly in need of bench scoring it makes no sense to me otherwise. If there is a big they know they can sign off another team’s waiver that’s the only other reason that seems to make sense, since Kanter appears to be he only big the team can rely on game to game. At this time, that does not appear to be the case.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:28 am

I read that the true cost of keeping him was $5M/yr (+/-).  This was due to the luxury tax.  Their premise was that the Celtics would think that the cost for Parker was too much for the value added.

That's a load of manure.

The luxury tax (LT) is paid on team salary, and it is disingenuous at best to tack it on a single player's salary in order to make it look worse than it really is.  The LT is just a number that should (IMO) be spread across all players, proportional to their actual salaries.  That would be the true cost of each player, if someone wanted to go through the exercise if comparing the cost of different players.

Waiving him didn't drop us under the LT line, from what I've read.  Maybe the real reason was that having an open roster spot allows the team some flexibility in filling a need as the season progresses.

We have plenty of TPE's to directly add a player later on as the season progresses.  Making a future trade became easier because we have an open spot to take on an extra player.  No matter what, the Celtics will fill in that roster spot and, if the goal is to add a player better than Parker, the team salary will be higher than if they just kept him.

Lastly, I don't believe releasing a player just before the season starts is a bad look for any team.  It happens all the time.  All you have to do is look at list of veteran players that were waived this week.  All teams can add up to 20 players for summer camp.  The extra players have to be release by a certain date, not just in the NBA, which is true across all professional sports.

Older guys fall out of the league and younger take their place.  It is a natural progression.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:33 am

hawksnestbeach wrote:Trading 7’2’’ Brown who averaged nearly 9 rbs a game last year in 21 minutes for Richardson was a mistake IMO. Did this happen before Schröder dropped from the sky? Dumping Parker at the last minute, as noted, another mistake, at least in timing. The current roster will go only as far as RWill’s health allows because turnstile Kantor and ole Al are not going to stop any good team. I have a radical suggestion: getting a good center would be a Smart move, even if he has to go. They could start Schröder Nesmith, Brown, Tatum y RW, with Pritchard, Langford, GW, decent center, and AH as the second unit. Schröder looks slick; I think he’s the rental you want to buy. Can you imagine trying to keep up with him, the Js and RW? Hawk

I agree Schroder is so much faster and sleeker than Smart offensively and relying on the health of RWill with his history of availability is a boneheaded move. Moses had some monster rebounding games last year and at 21 is only scratching his surface. JRich very good perimeter defender, but we are already loaded there and now super thin at 5 if RWill goes down.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:47 am

Recent player movement:

https://basketball.realgm.com/news/wiretap/tags/53/NBA_Waiver

I believe this one updates over time:

https://www.espn.com/nba/transactions

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:29 am

gyso wrote:Recent player movement:

https://basketball.realgm.com/news/wiretap/tags/53/NBA_Waiver

I believe this one updates over time:

https://www.espn.com/nba/transactions

Interesting lists.

At a quick glance, I don't see anyone helpful that should be on the Celtic shopping list.

I see OKC waived G Charlie Brown Jr. He's such a blockhead.

NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:21 pm

I notice Tremont Waters and Carsen Edwards are still floating out there. Wonder if either will go overseas or just sign with a G League team?

If there was that much money involved with the Parker contract I suppose I can understand. If they kept him and someone appealing came along, they would have to get someone to take on that contract in a trade. Judging from his history, that might have been a problem. I still wish he had a decent shot here. I guess they are not confident in that 5 spot, and are probably looking around as we type!!

GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:28 pm

We have to see how Hernagomez works out.  Moses Brown was a very inexpensive but worthy center that could develop.  These guys did not get traded for one another but the transactions are related in terms of moving a big and then getting a big.  

Moses is a rim protector and live body on the glass.  Hernangomez was added to be a stretch 4 with a knack for cutting to the basket.  Neither of these guys would have played much but Hernangomez projected to maybe be in our top 10 rotation.  After watching him in preseason I am not sure he brings enough to the table.  But he is in a new system and it will take time to see where he fits best.

The way I see it and maybe I am missing something, there are 3 distinctive configurations that I expect us to see.

The double big lineup
The traditional lineup (PG, SG, SF, PF and C)
The 3 wing lineup plus a PG and center.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2