beat
gyso
RosalieTCeltics
Outside
Sam
24 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS) - Page 10 Empty Re: Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS)

Post by Sam Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:21 pm

MD,

Where did I go wrong in trying to clarify my assertion that I wasn't claiming Jeff's a clone of Bias.

Please list for me all the Celtics players since Lenny's time that have more closely replicated a combination of Len's physique and skills. Antoine Walker, anyone? The only other one that might possibly qualify (in my estimation) was Reggie Lewis. And he was a little on the shorter side and far more of a lightweight.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS) - Page 10 Empty Re: Straight from Sam's Shoulder (SSS)

Post by Outside Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:32 pm

Sam, I appreciate the clarification, but regarding Green being comparable to Bias...
sam wrote:I said that, initially, Green reminded me physically of Bias. That may have been slightly off, as Green is an inch taller and 25 pounds heavier than Len was. But I view both of them as having legitimate wing height and yet the speed and grace to fill lanes and finish emphatically.

I also said that some things Jeff does remind me of what Len might have been able to do as a pro. I had in mind, in particular, being an offensive threat inside, outside, and on the break. Lenny may have had somewhat more of a power game, but Jeff seems pretty comfortable playing the post and using those 25 extra pounds to go to the hoop with authority.

I also never implied that being able to play multiple positions made Jeff Green comparable to Len Bias. They were unrelated comments. And I never compared Jeff Green's total game with that of Len Bias.
Now here's what you said before that made me think you were comparing Green to Bias.
sam wrote:When he first arrived, I said he reminded me physically of Len Bias. I can now say that the things he can do on the court make me think of what Bias might have accomplished.
My comment about playing multiple positions was off base, but to me, that sounds like you're making a direct comparison between the two. I don't see how it could be interpreted any other way.

Of course we'll never know what kind of pro Bias might have become, so we can have differing points of view about it as well as about Green's capabilities. I happen to think that Bias was at a whole 'nother level from Green, while you may have a different opinion. But I hope you can see why it was reasonable to say that you were comparing the two.

Thanks.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm

I see things like that, and besides giving me the chills, it makes me wonder:
"what would it have been like to have Len Bias and Reggie Lewis on the same team"???? I know, if we had Bias, we might not have had a shot at Lewis, but what a dream. I love to dream about it anyway!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Outside,

Saying that Jeff Green's play makes me think of what Len Bias might have accomplished is far from a direct comparison. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that I'd be considered that shallow. The word "might" alluded to something that never came to be. A moment of "if only" reverie certainly did not imply that Jeff was a Bias clone.

But I do believe Jeff's the closest we've had in years to someone who can consistently fill a lane with authority AND give us size at SF AND be a strong post presence AND be an outside threat. And that's pretty much what I thought Bias might have represented, although his specific approach would undoubtedly have been different. Who can say definitively how much better or more poorly Lenny would have fared as a pro?

I'm still waiting for anyone to give me the name of any Celtic within the past 20 years who comes closer to the description I presented above.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Sam,

I'm confused.

You seem offended (saying "I'm a little surprised that I'd be considered that shallow") at that idea that I think you compared Green to Bias. I don't understand how this even entered into the conversation.

But I'm confused even more because you continue with the comparison in the very next paragraph ("But I do believe..."), comparing Green favorably to Bias, just as you did in your analysis of their stats. If you're going to say you weren't comparing them, then I don't understand why you continue comparing them. Do we have vastly different understandings of the meaning of the word, "comparison?"

I'm sorry if I struck a nerve. That was not my intent.

Outside
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:07 am

Outside,

The combination of attributes that Green represents is unlike any other Celtics player I've seen in at least two decades. It happens that it closely resembles the attribute set I believe Len Bias might have brought to the team.

Maybe our interpretations of the word "comparison" do differ. In my opinion, a comparison would have entailed some assessment of the relative proficiency of each man in the various categories. I am not now making such an assessment, nor have I attempted such an assessment at any point in this thread.

I wouldn't be ill-advised enough make a direct comparison after denying having made the same direct comparison. My second paragraph (immediately above) was designed simply to emphasize the factors on which I based my earlier statement. It had nothing to do with comparing proficiencies.

I regret that you inferred I was offended. "Surprised" is a quite bit removed from "offended." And, yes, I was surprised that my posting history would suggest I'd be ill-advised enough to make a qualitative comparison of something that exists with something that existed only in sadly lost potential.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:11 am

sam wrote:Outside,

Saying that Jeff Green's play makes me think of what Len Bias might have accomplished is far from a direct comparison. Frankly, I'm a little surprised that I'd be considered that shallow. The word "might" alluded to something that never came to be. A moment of "if only" reverie certainly did not imply that Jeff was a Bias clone.

But I do believe Jeff's the closest we've had in years to someone who can consistently fill a lane with authority AND give us size at SF AND be a strong post presence AND be an outside threat. And that's pretty much what I thought Bias might have represented, although his specific approach would undoubtedly have been different. Who can say definitively how much better or more poorly Lenny would have fared as a pro?

I'm still waiting for anyone to give me the name of any Celtic within the past 20 years who comes closer to the description I presented above.

Sam

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:20 am

Sam

Whoops pressed wrong button, but I definitely agree Jeff Green is easily the closest real thing that compares to what Bias had and would have brought to the C's in the later 80's.One attribute I haven't seen Green show is the ability to drive and score through contact a la Pierce, he can definitely slash and drive, maybe he hasn't needed to go there yet.

cow

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 am

Cow,

That's an attribute of Bias that I hope Jeff will aspire to. As people have said, Bias was all muscle and played much more of a power game than Jeff does.

That ability to drive and score through contact (a nice way of putting it, by the way) is really valuable. I always faulted Perk for appearing to feel his job was done if he was fouled when he went up and almost never powering the ball through. As a result we usually got zero or one point rather than two or three points. Paul has a knack for it, and sometimes Glen Davis does too (which is a mercy, given the way he's been shooting freebies lately). Even Nenad does it better than Perk did (faint praise).

Debates aside, I hope the Celtics can keep Green around because I believe it could be a mutually beneficial relationship (especially once his niche on the team becomes apparent). If Doc's still here, he'll focus on ways Green can make himself better, and he'll be instrumental in making Green a well-rounded player with a more aggressive attitude.

If there is a 2011-12 season, Jeff could be a major part of countering the aging profile and easing the transition in minutes from age to youth.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:59 am

Underdogs

It seems inevitable that the Celtics once again will enter the playoffs as underdogs in terms of winning it all. I'd venture a guess (and it's only an impression based on memory) that they've been cast as underdogs by the press in no fewer than two-thirds of their championship runs....maybe more.

For a few shining weeks, I had thought that might change this year, and frankly I found the notion of being favorites a bit disconcerting. I realized that, over the years, half the fun in watching them triumph on 17 occasions lay in watching a lot of allegedly knowledgeable people (1) eat crow, (2) make the same blunder the next year, and (3) eat crow again.

In the final analysis, being an underdog (or the fan of an underdog) leaves us with one sure-fire asset.....fervent hope. May we rabid Celtics fans never lose sight of that leap of faith that distinguishes us.

In the spirit of the underdog, I encourage you to watch this video. It has nothing to do with basketball but everything to do with hope. I've shown it to a number of people, and most of them were already aware of it. Perhaps I'm the only person in the universe for whom it represents a fresh inspiration. But I post it here in hopes that it will prove meaningful to at least some of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

Go Celtics!

Sam

P.S. There is a postscript to this story that I'll share later.
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:29 am

she was wondeful,wasn't she? I just love that someone so "ordinary" could blow the world away with such wonderful talent. I saw it when it happened, but it is great to be reminded that the "underdog" can really surprise you! Thanks Sam for sharing this.

rosalie
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by jeb Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:01 pm

beautiful Sam
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Touches me everytime I see it! Nothing illustrates the old saying of "Don't judge a book by its cover" better than that.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

And the postscript is that, in the two years since that time, she has sold 20 million records. That's sort of like permanently retiring the championship trophy.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:20 pm

The Meeting

So Rondo reportedly asked for a post-game meeting with Doc and got one. Wouldn't we all have liked to be flies on the wall. Just imagine those two trying to hold a conversation while running around with flyswatters crashing and crushing all over the place.

So who said what? Over Rondo's tenure with the team, has it been his tendency to ask for Doc's help, or has it been more a matter of Doc's offering unsolicited feedback? My money's on the latter.

My guess is that Rondo is disenchanted with the mechanics of the starters. Blame it on the revolving door (door door door) at center. Blame it on age. Blame it on tired legs. Blame it on ennui. Blame it on coasting until the playoffs. Whatever the cause, the starters' group mechanics have lately shown only occasional flashes of the kind of brilliance needed for serious contention. And Rondo's performance has not been on the bottom of a latrine looking up, but it has often been instrumental in creating the fragrance that has emanated.

So what's the deal? What was discussed at the two man meeting, and how does it relate to this roller coaster ride of late?

One thing I'm 100% sure of. The other four starters must depend heavily on Rondo to improve their collective performance dramatically. I happen to believe that, unlike past years, as goes the offense on this team, so goes the defense. One hung head, loping back in transaction, and Derrick Rose is zipping past you. This team needs Rondo's constant energy. They need him to initiate the defense at the perimeter. They need him to galvanize them into higher gears on offense.

But what does Rondo need? This, I believe, was the subject of the meeting. I've tried to impress fans many times with the fact that players are not toy soldiers that you just wind up and throw out there to march through the enemy. They're human beings, inevitably subject to myriad feelings—many of which can sap energy, dull focus, and mess up rhythm.

To a large extent, the players at positions 3-5 (and sometimes 2) can overcome problems on the job through added effort. Point guards confront a more elaborate series of needs. And many of these needs depend on the other four players:

• The need for them space the floor and open up passing lanes.

• The need for them to move their butts and become less predictable (on both ends for that matter).

• The need for them to set and hold picks to disrupt the defense.

• The need for them to participate in swing the ball and not focus mainly on creating shots for themselves.

• The need for them to reacquire a "no layup" strategy.

When the Celts execute all (or even most) of these essentials, their offense is very difficult to stop. And, in my opinion, just as a big offensive play makes the crowd stand in a prolonged ovation, elevated offense elevates the defense.

I think Rondo has become exasperated at the lack of consistency with which the other starters are discharging their responsibilities. (Ray should also be pissed at the lack of picks, at least.) I believe the too frequent offensive lethargy is making him take too many ballhandling and passing chances. My opinion is that all of this gets him down, which makes him more clumsy.

So what does Rondo do about it? He's saying all the right things and even taking blame. But what does he do now? He's hardly in a position to lay out a lot of veterans, who could very justifiably say, "Hey, you've been sucking too." How can that kind of very uncharacteristic behavior be constructive?

I feel this meeting consisted, at least in large part, of (1) an appeal to Doc to find a way to get the other guys' acts together, along with (2) Rondo's promise to Doc that he (Rondo) will go all-out to help it come together. In some ways, it seems to me that, IF Rondo's part of the conversation went anything like this, he could (in effect) have been speaking for Ray too.

The Celtics have no practices coming up during which Doc could potentially get his points across with some well-planned drills. So Doc's going to have to exercise his ingenuity to find ways to insinuate these thoughts opportunistically rather than ramming them home during practice. Their film guys is going to have to work 24/7 at excerpting the most salient points that can be made at relatively brief walkarounds and film sessions.

Obviously these are just my own opinions. And, frankly, they're based more on a sense of logic and some feeling for the ways players' minds work than on any proof.

Whatever happened in the meeting, I hope it will be pivotal for this team. And I've dedicated tonight's game-on contest to examining Rondo's performance. And, if there's any truth to my assumptions, maybe it's also time to use my list in paragraph seven (above) as a checklist for evaluating the rest of the starters.

Go Celtics!

Sam

Last edited by sam on Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:24 pm

Doc just said he felt Rondo played pretty well in Chicago. Rose just planed phenomenal ball. Doc added that Rondo was really upset at how the team played. That could mean a lot of things, including the line of thinking I suggested above.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:48 pm

You know Sam, I love Rondo's game, when he plays it the way he should. However, he, too, has given Doc some sleepless nights, I am sure. He is a cocky kid, talented, yes, but.....where would he be without three of the most talented men in the NBA? What will become of him when these three guys retire? Pierce will be around longest, but, who knows? I just feel it is something Rondo needs to search his soul for first of all. Who has been moping around for the last month? Granted, he had a great game against the Spurs, a good game against the 76er's, but.....what about all those games he barely showed up for?

Who, would you guess is a starter who is dogging it? Pierce? I don't think so, no one plays as hard as Pierce. Garnett? I wouldn't want to be standing there when they accused him of dogging it! Allen? you know what I would say about that. So....where do you look??? I hate to say it, but the loss of Perk just hasn't helped them at all. I love Green's game, and maybe
a training camp will really get him involved, but, I really hate to say it but
I really miss seeing Perk under that basket!

Oh Danny, I will hate to be you if they don't advance in the playoffs.

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Rosalie,

I'm not saying the regulars are necessarily dogging it. But the guys who ae supposed to set picks are not doing it. Their tendency to stand around and let the seconds goes buy while Rondo looks for passing lane is counterproductive. Last night, all five Celtics were around the foul circle on one offensive play. The entire team could have been covered by two Bulls. That's not spacing the floor. (And it happened a lot.)

Not executing is not necessarily due to dogging it. It can be a matter of developing bad habits. It can be a matter of having to adjust to a variety of centers from game to game. And, yes, it can be dogging it.

It's a sort of chicken/egg thing. Rondo needs them to execute for him to improve his game. The others need Rondo to execute for them to improve their game. I happen to believe the others have to put Rondo in a position to succeed before Rondo can be the catalyst they need.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Playoff Dynamics and Focus

While everyone is wondering how to reconcile the Celtics' recent struggles (and maybe those of the Lakers as well) with playoff success, I'd like to make some points.

The fact that the playoffs are "a different season" has become such a cliché that the truth of that statement is often overlooked. It's not just different in the fact that all teams start with a blank slate. It's different because of the importance of certain dynamics.

• The game slows down in the playoffs, and defense wins playoffs. There are strong elements of truth in both of these additional clichés. I believe teams like the Celtics, Bulls, Heat, Spurs, and Lakers are mindful of the fact that the playoffs are a meat grinder. In the playoffs, the number one focus of the great teams is to prevent the enemy from putting the ball in the basket—whatever it takes. (Sort of like KG refusing to let even a dead ball shot by an opponent to enter the basket.)

• To some extent, I think the Celtics may have been confused, more than demoralized, since The Trade. if so, the demand for playoff focus should shake them out of any bewilderment. I'm looking forward to the time when they'll be narrowing their #1 focus to preventing scores (especially layups) at all costs. And let the rest of their game take shape accordingly.

• The fact that as many as seven games in a playoff series allow teams to get to know one another better than in the regular season should help the Celtics too. I believe that, especially with so many new players, this is a team seriously in need of a well thought-out game plan for each upcoming contest. Given the regular season schedule, I think the coaches have often had to plan on the fly for games (a fact exacerbated by player unavailability). Now they can plan for an entire series—making tweaks, rather than starting from scratch, in between-game plans.

• We're all aware that there will be no back-to-backs in the playoffs, which tend to help the more "seasoned" (for want of a nastier word) teams. A lot of what has confounded the Celtics in the second game of back-to-backs has been the athleticism and energy displayed by opponents. That should be less of an advantage for Celtics opponents in the playoffs.

• The playoffs will bring the final verdict on who's going to be available and what adjustments (if any) will need to be made. In some ways, it may have been too easy for the Celtics to keep looking ahead to the return of one or more players. None of that now. Either they're available or their absence has to be confronted point blank—and dealt with. That will be an integral part of maintaining an unwavering, unequivocal focus.

• While the playoffs raise the stakes dramatically in one sense, they simplify things in another. I've used the word "focus" many times in this post. And it seems to me that focus will be the most important asset of the Celtics in the playoffs. Rondo won't have to worry about improving certain elements of his game. Ray won't have to worry about how to get better picks. They'll be presented with an array of conditions that they'll just have to accept while focusing on just one thing. Trying their hardest, regardless of the circumstances. And it's sometimes amazing how a bunch of very talented people can collectively achieve more than they ever thought possible by simultaneously trying their level best.

I'm making no predictions about playoff outcomes, but I'm betting dynamics such as these will be different from those influencing the regular season. I'm betting comparatively experienced players will adapt best and thrive best under these dynamics.

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:25 am

Time to Dive Headfirst into the Fray

For some reason, this article from today's Boston Globe gave me more of a feeling of well-being than has been the case lately.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2011/04/16/rivers_makes_sure_teams_focus_is_clear/

Perhaps it was due to the mention of Thursday's installation of the team's defensive plan and the enthusiasm of some key players' investment. All I know is that, every season, there's some point at which I'm reintroduced to the familiar, pit-of-the-stomach feeling of being locked in on a playoff focus with no looking back—only forward. This article represented that point.

This will be my 48th Celtics playoff run, and I've always enjoyed taking that determined leap into an unknown in which I expect the best and consider no alternative. As far as I'm concerned, this is the time of year to be selfish. This is my time to dive in, no holds barred, and root my team home in my own way, with not a smattering of equivocation.

I'm not interested in objectively handicapping the playoff possibilities. There's absolutely no reason for me to be objective. I haven't the most remote interest in being objective. I don't care about conjecturing as to who will play and who won't play. This team needs to take whatever comes along and beat the snot out of everyone they meet. Period!

These are the playoffs. These are my Celtics. Always have been, always will be. I applaud the right of all to observe whatever allegiance they wish. Just gangway when my team and I come calling!

Go Celtics!

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:44 pm

TOUCHE' SAM!!!!! I AM RIGHT BESIDE YOU, ROOTING FOR MY GUYS ALL THE WAY!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:59 pm

I expected you to be the first to respond, Rosalie.

You and I, kiddo. Through thick (me) and thin (you). As always.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 am

An All-Star Endorsement of Ray

There's an interesting article about Ray Allen in today's Boston Herald. Not surprising, after his late-game heroics in Game One. I'll quote just one portion, but it's pretty revealing, even if one of the game's turds was responsible for it:

“There are hierarchies in All-Star games obviously when you get there and see the guys that are playing,” Allen said. “There was a situation that happened in the locker room. Doc asked, ‘Who would take the last shot if it came down to it?’

“Half the room said the guy who was open. And LeBron was like, ‘Ray Allen.’

SAM

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/2011_0419old_dependable_allen_still_clutch_shooter_after_all_these_years/srvc=sports&position=also
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 am

Remember, before Ray signed his two year contract here there were rumblings that he was being courted by Miami. A much better sign than Mike Miller I would say, especially since Miller got hurt. Anyway, Ray is a Celtic through and through. The same way we think about Ray now, we thought about Sam Jones years ago. Who wouldn't have wanted him taking the last shot?? I know I would. So, it is wonderful that the Celtics have had two such terrific
players, granted in much different era's, but cut from the same cloth. Can you
imagine what Sam would have accomplished with the three point shot??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 am

Rosalie,

Yes, I've actually fantasized about Sam and the three-point shot. He didn't often shoot from three-point range because the game in those days was pretty much played within what is now the three-point arc. And players who took low-percentage shots in those days were not considered team players. (But, on a few occasions (ends of quarters, in blowouts, etc.) he did shoot from as far out as 40 feet. And he was extremely accurate.

So, had the game included three-pointers in those days, I can virtually guarantee that, given Sam's work ethic, shooting touch, and quick release, he would have been very proficient from beyond the arc. As proficient as Ray? Who knows, because the whole thing is fantasy anyway.

Personally, I'm just glad the game was played without the three-pointer in those days because I appreciated the much greater emphasis on constant motion and passing back then. Nonetheless, it's sometimes fun to conjecture what might have been........

One thing that definitely is a fact, though, is Ray's clutch greatness from distance. The Celtics are beyond lucky to have him.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next