dboss
Ktron
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Jae Crowder Coming Back? Empty Is Jae Crowder Coming Back?

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:33 pm

https://us.yahoo.com/sports/report-celtics-listed-among-possible-225947634.html

Report: Celtics listed among possible Jae Crowder trade partners

Cameron Tabatabaie

Mon, September 26, 2022 at 7:59 PM

Veteran wing and former-Celtic Jae Crowder may soon be on the move. He and his current club the Phoenix Suns have agreed to explore trade options and Crowder will not be participating in training camp. According to a recent report, the Boston Celtics may be among the teams interested in trading for Jae Crowder.

Crowder is entering the final year of his contract and is owed $10.83 in salary this season. A reliable three and D player, the 32-year old started 67 games last year for Phoenix, and has been an integral part of the teams success. With both Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson coming on strong, however, Crowder appears ready to find a new opportunity rather than fight for a reduced role.

Shams Charania of the Athletic explained that a number of teams – including the Boston Celtics – will consider adding Crowder into the fold. Charania cited Crowder’s familiarity with the organization as a reason why Boston may look to execute a trade, though the same is true of Dallas, Miami, and Memphis.

The Celtics could in theory use Danilo Gallinari’s contract as the centerpiece to a trade. Making the math work here isn’t impossible. Given Phoenix’s limited depth, however, the Suns may seek a trade partner with more win-now players available.

Bob
MY NOTE:  According to an NBA Trade Machine this deal cannot work straight up for two reasons:  One, Gallo cannot be traded until October 10th (ok, so not a dealbreaker unless Phoenix is in a hurry. October 10th is still pre-season) and; Two, because Crowder makes $10.1M/year and Gallo only makes $6.4M and we're over the cap.  Could that be offset with a $3.7M TPE?  Maybe, I'm not a capologist.  I like Jae Crowder, I always have, but do we need an undersized catch-and-shoot player like him?  His toughness is always welcome but does he fit what our roster needs now?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Is Jae Crowder Coming Back? Empty Re: Is Jae Crowder Coming Back?

Post by gyso Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Nope. Not happening.

Bad vibes from him both before and after he was on the team.

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 pm

you are right Gyso, Joe Crowder wants no part of Boston. Still carries the grudge over the Hayward deal. I know he is the type of player who we could use, but NOPE it is not going to happen
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:26 pm

gyso wrote:Nope.  Not happening.

Bad vibes from him both before and after he was on the team.  

gyso,

I believe those bad vibes were mostly directed at Danny, because he traded Jae as part of the Kyrie package a week after Jae's mother died.  He loved Brad.  Furthermore while Jae will go to wherever he's traded it appears the Suns are trying to work with him, and accommodate him, on destinations.  Who would trade for a player who loathes your organization?

Having said that I don't see it happening, nor do I see him as filling one of our needs.  (Caveat:  unless Brad identifies a team that will take Jae but can't offer Phoenix what they want as a standalone and we help make it happen)

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:36 pm

Jaes mother died the same day he was told via phone that he was traded.

I wouldn’t blame him for not feeling Boston. 

I’m just glad some of y’all ain’t making trades for the Celtics. 
Some don’t  think anyone is good enough to wear green.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:41 pm

tthat is our privilege, having been Celtic fans for so long. some of you would trade your mother if you thought it looked good. I personally try to stay away from trade talk. I let the pro's do the trading for me. The cap is enough to keep me sitting here with my mouth shut. I trust that Brad and Wyc will do what is right for the team. After all, they want to win just as much as we do
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:42 pm

Revisionist history?

If I recall Hayward was coming up on his option year with the Jazz and they came to Boston to play the Celtics.  Rumors had been swirling around connecting Hayward to Boston because of his relationship with Brad Stevens.

During that game the crowd was cheering for Hayward.  After the game Crowder expressed his displeasure because he thought it was disrespectful for the fans to be cheering on Hayward.  I agreed with him then and I agree with him now.

As long as I have been watching the Celtics I have never witnessed Celtics fans cheering for an opponent.  As much as I liked Hayward I would never cheer for him at the expense of a guy who was already on our team and was a very solid player at both ends.

Crowder did not get traded for Hayward but his very presence made it possible to move him in the now infamous Kyrie Irving  trade.  And let us not overlook that Jae's mom passed away the same day that he got traded.

Whatever negative vibes that manifested themselves was created by Celtics fans and Celtics management.

As it turned, out Jae was moved to Miami and was that missing piece that helped them get to the championship round and he was also a big factor in the Suns championship run last year.

The Celtics ended up with the self centered self indulged Kyrie Irving and a guy that had a tragic stint with the Celtics in Hayward. Our rebuild was set back at least 2 years.

I think he would be a terrific fit on this team but he makes too much money and he will be an UFA. Therefore he would likely be an expensive one year rental.  Even if the terms were workable, I very much doubt that Jae would ever want to play or this franchise again.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:33 pm

Bad vibes from Jae towards fans because they cheered for Hayward.

Bad vibes from Jae towards Danny because Jae was traded away right after his mom died and maybe because Danny also traded away IT after he gave his heart and soul to Boston.

He isn't coming here because he thinks Boston Celtics management and fans suck.

That is what I meant.

Back to top Go down

Is Jae Crowder Coming Back? Empty I’ll let that one go. Buy some Green tinted Vaurnet’s if u can afford

Post by Ktron Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:24 pm

FONT TOO LARGE

Last edited by Ktron on Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : FONT TOO LARGE)

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm

Why the big font and angst?

For the most part, we posted that Jae wouldn't sign with Boston, not that we didn't want him. When you misinterpret or ignore what some people post, and after it is explained to you, you just again ignore that and double down, well that is just on you.

Then you make a blanket statement that we didn't want a number of other players for invalid reasons, all I can say it that most on your list were discussed ad nauseam and, IMO the reasons were not as limited as you suggest. The fact that Celtics management never ended up signing or trading for any of them speaks well to the BBIQ on this board.

I don't understand your last post at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:39 pm

gyso wrote:Bad vibes from Jae towards fans because they cheered for Hayward.

Bad vibes from Jae towards Danny because Jae was traded away right after his mom died and maybe because Danny also traded away IT after he gave his heart and soul to Boston.

He isn't coming here because he thinks Boston Celtics management and fans suck.

That is what I meant.

Thanks for the clarification. Context is everything.

Even if he wanted to return it really does not make a lot of sense from a financial point of view for the Celtics as I mentioned.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:45 pm

gyso wrote:Why the big font and angst?

For the most part, we posted that Jae wouldn't sign with Boston, not that we didn't want him.  When you misinterpret or ignore what some people post, and after it is explained to you, you just again ignore that and double down, well that is just on you.

Then you make a blanket statement that we didn't want a number of other players for invalid reasons, all I can say it that most on your list were discussed ad nauseam and, IMO the reasons were not as limited as you suggest.  The fact that Celtics management never ended up signing or trading for any of them speaks well to the BBIQ on this board.  

I don't understand your last post at all.  

Sorry
I Wrote it in notes and then cut and pasted (oh oh) it. Ive done that before but it’s always come out normal. When I looked at it on my phone it didnt look like that. Feel free to delete it. I sure even Stevie Wonder could read that.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:34 pm

On second thought, Boston could make a trade for Jae Crowder

Jae Crowder and Torrey Craig to Boston for Derrick White. The trade works. Both Jae and Torrey have one year remaining on their contracts. With White gone it opens up more playing time for Pritchard and our rookie JD Davidson. White is way overpaid but the Suns could use a bigger PG/combo guard with Paul getting older and Cameron Payne showing inconsistent play. At the very least White can defend and distribute the ball.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:56 am

I just read that Crowder wants to be a starter, being that he is on his last year of his contract.  He's looking for his next contract and feels he is not ready (never going to?) to play off the bench. The Suns would keep him if he agreed to play nicely with others and come off the bench.

He'd be behind both J's and Grant Williams.  Even if he didn't harbor bad feelings for Boston, he wouldn't go for being 2nd off the bench.

Mediocre shooter and his defense is not what it once was.  

Trade him for White so Payton and the Rook can get more PT?  Really?  For a much older player on an expiring contract?

No.

Brad has wanted White for some time.  He has him under contract for three more seasons.  He is not going to trade him for Crowder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:25 am

It seems it would be tough financially to trade for Crowder, unless we traded Derrick White. I don't think that would be a good move. White brings a lot to the table, if he just improves his shooting he can be a very good player. Possible if Crowder get bought out, he could be in play. I like Jae Crowder a lot, but I just don't think he fits what we need now, which is a legit big man that has some definite skills (i.e defense, rebounding and shot blocking).
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:24 am

gyso wrote:I just read that Crowder wants to be a starter, being that he is on his last year of his contract.  He's looking for his next contract and feels he is not ready (never going to?) to play off the bench.  The Suns would keep him if he agreed to play nicely with others and come off the bench.

He'd be behind both J's and Grant Williams.  Even if he didn't harbor bad feelings for Boston, he wouldn't go for being 2nd off the bench.

Trade him for White so Payton and the Rook can get more PT?  Really?  For a much older player on an expiring contract?

No.

Brad has wanted White for some time.  He has him under contract for three more seasons.  He is not going to trade him for Crowder.

gyso

Him wanting to be a starter is a non starter  but I would not put him behind Grant.  

For new posters like Celtics 17 I guess I should at the very least let him know that I have a tendency to argue on both sides of an issue at the same time and with th same level of conviction!

gyso your statement Mediocre shooter and his defense is not what it once was is questionable.  Last year he did not shoot the 3 ball as well as his two previous years (38.9% with the Suns and a whopping 44.5% with the Heat).  If you dig a little deeper as I did, you will se that his net rating per NBA.com was 10.2 and the best on the team.  His defense may not be as good as it was but he remains a solid defender as evidenced by his 105.9 rating.  That rating as better than Ayton, Booker and even Bridges.

Derrick White is way overpaid based on his production.  He shot only 30.6% from deep with us and 31.4% with SA before he was traded.  His net rating was 4.9 and his defensive rating was 106.4

The Celtics have him under contract for 3 more years and owe him around $58,000,000.  I believe that Boston would drop him like a hot potato if they could.  The fact that both Crowder and Craig are on expiring contracts is not a bad thing.  Both can be gone at the end of the season and ease the burden of getting Grant under a new contract.  

Back to White.  He is no shooting guard.  He is a PG on an overcrowded backcourt.  Marcus returns as the defending DPOY.  Brogdon  is probably the 3rd best all around player on this team behind the J's.  Pritchard can make shoots and White cannot make shots.  There is virtually no minutes for Pritchard as long as the overpaid White is on the team.  JD is a rookie but he looks like a dynamic player to me but he cannot really get better unless he gets some minutes on the court.

Moving White is going to happen sooner or later. There is no way that the Celtics are going to kick out $17 to 18 mill per year to have him miss wide open shots.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:26 am

gyso wrote:I just read that Crowder wants to be a starter, being that he is on his last year of his contract.  He's looking for his next contract and feels he is not ready (never going to?) to play off the bench.  The Suns would keep him if he agreed to play nicely with others and come off the bench.

No.

+1

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:27 am

Celtics17 wrote:It seems it would be tough financially to trade for Crowder, unless we traded Derrick White. I don't think that would be a good move. White brings a lot to the table, if he just improves his shooting he can be a very good player. Possible if Crowder get bought out, he could be in play. I like Jae Crowder a lot, but I just don't think he fits what we need now, which is a legit big man that has some definite skills (i.e defense, rebounding and shot blocking).

Shoot blocking? Not

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:30 am

We need White for guard depth and he plays both spots, Brogden is not the most durable player and the way Smart throws his body around, he misses a few games every year too. Until Pritch and Davidson prove they can play well enough, gotta keep him.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:35 am

No.

gyso,

I join with Cowens to give you a +1 on this post.

Jae Crowder is not a starter on this team. We'd be too small with THREE Js in the starting lineup.

Would I expect Crowder to be a good soldier and do whatever the coach asks of him? Yes, but if he wants to be a starter and he isn't one here then he'll be a one-year rental. Why would Brad give up a well-respected guard with 3 years left on his contract for a player who won't move the needle this year and would be gone next?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:46 am

I never did like how Crowder seems to not be able to keep things professional. And not in a "KG" energy way either.

In any case +1 on a big fat NO on White for Crowder from me as well.

If I would wish for something relating to potential Suns and White trade - How about Ayton for White Smile. I hear he "has not talked to his coach since he was benched in G7" .

White is a great player, can defend, can shoot (cough), fast, energetic ! Not sure how much more White makes than Ayton, but we will make it work Phoenix no worries. Just agree to this deal Very Happy

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:07 pm

dboss,

We'll have to agree to disagree. That's how we do it. LOL

White is currently working on his shot to get the lean out of it. They are trying to square it up. If he can improve his shot, that would be great. We will have to wait on that for later on in the season.

You mention his high cost, but I don't believe that is an issue with ownership. Maybe some fans dwell on it, but that's it. Remember, they traded for him and one of the biggest wants was a long-term contract. He fits in perfectly and has an extremely high BBIQ. My take on salary is that there are always some players that are overpaid and some that are underpaid, and in the long run, salary is just a number to add to the rest to come up with total team salary. Other than for math exercises, not my worry.

With Galinari lost for the season and RWill out possibly until after the new year, we will be seeing a lot of 3-guard sets. Adding Crowder doesn't fill that 4/5 hole, so why spend a great fit for a misfit? (LOL)

There may not be time this season for Davidson in Boston. He will spend a lot of time hanging out in the Old Port.

https://www.portlandoldport.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:55 pm

Vankisa wrote:I never did like how Crowder seems to not be able to keep things professional. And not in a "KG" energy way either.

In any case +1 on a big fat NO on White for Crowder from me as well.

If I would wish for something relating to potential Suns and White trade - How about Ayton for White Smile. I hear he "has not talked to his coach since he was benched in G7" .

White is a great player, can defend, can shoot (cough), fast, energetic ! Not sure how much more White makes than Ayton, but we will make it work Phoenix no worries. Just agree to this deal Very Happy

I don’t recall Crowder behaving unprofessionally. Please enlighten me on what you’ve witnessed.
Also I have to disagree with you on White.
White is a good player. He is not a great player.
I’d like to see Ayton in green but I doubt if PHX would do that deal.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:17 pm

Ktron, I assume Vankissa was being facetious saying White was great, and he was probably trying to sell Phoenix on the idea of trading White for Ayton. I'd go for that trade in a heartbeat. Throw in Kornet et alia to make the numbers work too, but it will never happen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:17 pm

gyso wrote:dboss,

We'll have to agree to disagree.  That's how we do it.  LOL

White is currently working on his shot to get the lean out of it.  They are trying to square it up.  If he can improve his shot, that would be great.  We will have to wait on that for later on in the season.

You mention his high cost, but I don't believe that is an issue with ownership.  Maybe some fans dwell on it, but that's it.  Remember, they traded for him and one of the biggest wants was a long-term contract.  He fits in perfectly and has an extremely high BBIQ.  My take on salary is that there are always some players that are overpaid and some that are underpaid, and in the long run, salary is just a number to add to the rest to come up with total team salary.  Other than for math exercises, not my worry.

With Galinari lost for the season and RWill out possibly until after the new year, we will be seeing a lot of 3-guard sets.  Adding Crowder doesn't fill that 4/5 hole, so why spend a great fit for a misfit?  (LOL)

There may not be time this season for Davidson in Boston.  He will spend a lot of time hanging out in the Old Port.

https://www.portlandoldport.com/

gyso

If White can improve the consistency in his shooting it would make a big difference.  I would be lying if i told you I was not disappointed with his play last year.  Yes he has a high BQIQ, etc. but there were way too many poor games by him because he could not make shots.  He is not a very creative PG and he was average at best at finishing at the rim.  If you recall he had a couple of solid nights shooting the ball during the playoffs and I was hoping he was ready to break out.

You would have to be a fan with your head buried in the sand not to realize that he was not very good in the playoffs.  Teams were daring him to shoot.  The numbers don't lie.  He shot 36.4% from the field and 31.4% on 3 point attempts.  Those are poor numbers by any measure.  

I really do not care if Crowder is in the mix.  I only put him in there mainly because he is on an expiring contract.

Boston is in  luxury tax haven but they are NOT going to be a luxury tax paying team year after year after year.  I maintain that he is overpaid for what he brings to the table and if anyone would like to see Grant get a competitive long term deal, I think that you have to look at cutting some salary.  Even if Derrick becomes a reliable shooter which I have doubts about, the money issue is still there.  Also let us not overlook the on going needs to strengthen our frontcourt and add more shooting.  White has a very tradeable contract.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next