dboss
Ktron
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Jae Crowder Coming Back? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Jae Crowder Coming Back?

Post by gyso Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:45 pm

dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:dboss,

We'll have to agree to disagree.  That's how we do it.  LOL

White is currently working on his shot to get the lean out of it.  They are trying to square it up.  If he can improve his shot, that would be great.  We will have to wait on that for later on in the season.

You mention his high cost, but I don't believe that is an issue with ownership.  Maybe some fans dwell on it, but that's it.  Remember, they traded for him and one of the biggest wants was a long-term contract.  He fits in perfectly and has an extremely high BBIQ.  My take on salary is that there are always some players that are overpaid and some that are underpaid, and in the long run, salary is just a number to add to the rest to come up with total team salary.  Other than for math exercises, not my worry.

With Galinari lost for the season and RWill out possibly until after the new year, we will be seeing a lot of 3-guard sets.  Adding Crowder doesn't fill that 4/5 hole, so why spend a great fit for a misfit?  (LOL)

There may not be time this season for Davidson in Boston.  He will spend a lot of time hanging out in the Old Port.

https://www.portlandoldport.com/

gyso

If White can improve the consistency in his shooting it would make a big difference.  I would be lying if i told you I was not disappointed with his play last year.  Yes he has a high BQIQ, etc. but there were way too many poor games by him because he could not make shots.  He is not a very creative PG and he was average at best at finishing at the rim.  If you recall he had a couple of solid nights shooting the ball during the playoffs and I was hoping he was ready to break out.

You would have to be a fan with your head buried in the sand not to realize that he was not very good in the playoffs.  Teams were daring him to shoot.  The numbers don't lie.  He shot 36.4% from the field and 31.4% on 3 point attempts.  Those are poor numbers by any measure.  

I really do not care if Crowder is in the mix.  I only put him in there mainly because he is on an expiring contract.

Boston is in  luxury tax haven but they are NOT going to be a luxury tax paying team year after year after year.  I maintain that he is overpaid for what he brings to the table and if anyone would like to see Grant get a competitive long term deal, I think that you have to look at cutting some salary.  Even if Derrick becomes a reliable shooter which I have doubts about, the money issue is still there.  Also let us not overlook the on going needs to strengthen our frontcourt and add more shooting.  White has a very tradeable contract.

dboss,

One thing about the salary cap is that (for the most part) it keeps getting bigger and bigger, year after year.  Do you remember how many times we signed a player and most fans thought it was an extreme overpay, when a couple years later it was considered to be a bargain?  Please think about that when you begin to worry about someone's future salary.

I already said that I thought worrying about a player's salary is a fan thing, so repeating it over and over holds no sway with me.   Wink

I have high hopes for White this season (Delta8?).  I think I read that he has a trainer this summer for the first time.  That will make him stronger and if he improves his shooting, it may lead to a more confident White.  After all, what he was lacking for us last season was confidence.  At least, that is how I saw it.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:49 pm

D White was lacking in confidence. With added strength and coaching he could be a real plus this season.

Last edited by worcester on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:32 pm

gyso wrote:
dboss wrote:
gyso wrote:dboss,

We'll have to agree to disagree.  That's how we do it.  LOL

White is currently working on his shot to get the lean out of it.  They are trying to square it up.  If he can improve his shot, that would be great.  We will have to wait on that for later on in the season.

You mention his high cost, but I don't believe that is an issue with ownership.  Maybe some fans dwell on it, but that's it.  Remember, they traded for him and one of the biggest wants was a long-term contract.  He fits in perfectly and has an extremely high BBIQ.  My take on salary is that there are always some players that are overpaid and some that are underpaid, and in the long run, salary is just a number to add to the rest to come up with total team salary.  Other than for math exercises, not my worry.

With Galinari lost for the season and RWill out possibly until after the new year, we will be seeing a lot of 3-guard sets.  Adding Crowder doesn't fill that 4/5 hole, so why spend a great fit for a misfit?  (LOL)

There may not be time this season for Davidson in Boston.  He will spend a lot of time hanging out in the Old Port.

https://www.portlandoldport.com/

gyso

If White can improve the consistency in his shooting it would make a big difference.  I would be lying if i told you I was not disappointed with his play last year.  Yes he has a high BQIQ, etc. but there were way too many poor games by him because he could not make shots.  He is not a very creative PG and he was average at best at finishing at the rim.  If you recall he had a couple of solid nights shooting the ball during the playoffs and I was hoping he was ready to break out.

You would have to be a fan with your head buried in the sand not to realize that he was not very good in the playoffs.  Teams were daring him to shoot.  The numbers don't lie.  He shot 36.4% from the field and 31.4% on 3 point attempts.  Those are poor numbers by any measure.  

I really do not care if Crowder is in the mix.  I only put him in there mainly because he is on an expiring contract.

Boston is in  luxury tax haven but they are NOT going to be a luxury tax paying team year after year after year.  I maintain that he is overpaid for what he brings to the table and if anyone would like to see Grant get a competitive long term deal, I think that you have to look at cutting some salary.  Even if Derrick becomes a reliable shooter which I have doubts about, the money issue is still there.  Also let us not overlook the on going needs to strengthen our frontcourt and add more shooting.  White has a very tradeable contract.

dboss,

One thing about the salary cap is that (for the most part) it keeps getting bigger and bigger, year after year.  Do you remember how many times we signed a player and most fans thought it was an extreme overpay, when a couple years later it was considered to be a bargain?  Please think about that when you begin to worry about someone's future salary.

I already said that I thought worrying about a player's salary is a fan thing, so repeating it over and over holds no sway with me.   Wink

I have high hopes for White this season (Delta8?).  I think I read that he has a trainer this summer for the first time.  That will make him stronger and if he improves his shooting, it may lead to a more confident White.  After all, what he was lacking for us last season was confidence.  At least, that is how I saw it.

Gyso

Too serious.  Of course I know that the Cap and tax thresholds continue to spiral up.  I am not worry about anybody's future salary except for mine, lol

Was it a bargain to sign Kemba Walker?  Did the Celtics ante up to retain Fournier?

You said, Do you remember how many times we signed a player and most fans thought it was an extreme overpay, when a couple years later it was considered to be a bargain?

No I do not.

Can you actually name some players that would fall into the overpaid, became a bargain category?

There are limits on how much a team can spend on players and on positions on their team.  

Derrick White will be traded.  Derrick White is a 3rd string PG and as such is overpaid on a team that is already spending quite a bit of money on Marcus and Malcolm.  The Celtics went out to get Malcolm not just because they were looking for more depth.  They did it because White has not lived up to what they hoped to get when they made the SA trade and got spanked by Pop.

I watched him play and I know good from bad from mediocre.  Last season he was the latter.

Even if he actually improves with the personal trainer intervention and works on making shots he will still be traded.

The good thing is, now that some idiot ranked him as the 19th best SG in the entire NBA, the Celtics may be able to mask his true value and extract something better in return.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtics17 Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:11 pm

Wow, such division among the board in relation to D. White. LOL. I get what some are saying about his contract. I do agree he's a tradable asset. If we are going to move him it should be for a stretch 4 or 5, just don't see Crowder as the right piece. However, I still think White (if he improves his shooting) is a nice piece. He plays good D, is able to penetrate, and is a good passer. Also I agree with what others have said regarding Smart and playing style. He is always going to miss some games. In addition, Brodgan has a long injury history. I would love to see Pritchard step up, but his size is always going to be a matchup problem. Hands down, he is probably the best shooter on the team.
Celtics17
Celtics17

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:03 pm

Every player that we drafted and resigned after their rookie contracts.  "How many times" may have been a bit hyperbolic, but I found an easy three.  Many fans complained about overpay the year they were resigned.  Here's a list:

Rondo 2010
Bradley 2014
Smart 2018

Other players that many complained were an overpay:

Theis 2021 (8M) I'd sign him back for that.

I'm sure there are more, but I am supposed to be working.   Embarassed

Derrick White is a player that the Celtics coveted for a while and when he was available, they went out and got him.  He contributed quite a bit with our success during the playoffs.  So, I'm all aboard the Derrick White train.

Here's what Brad said after the trade:

Anyway, I hope Ian passes by your family.  It sounds like a big one.

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:44 pm

dboss, I remember one player who was thought to be wildly overpaid but then turned out to be a bargain: Bob Cousy. Walter Brown quite begrudgingly gave Cooz the $9000 starting salary he demanded in 1950. The rest is NBA history.

From Wikipedia: Boston Celtics
Early years (1950–1956)
Cousy turned pro and made himself available for the 1950 NBA draft. The Boston Celtics had just concluded the 1949–50 NBA season with a poor 22–46 win–loss record and had the first draft pick. It was strongly anticipated that they would draft the highly coveted local favorite Cousy. However, coach Red Auerbach snubbed him for center Charlie Share, saying: "Am I supposed to win, or please the local yokels?" The local press strongly criticized Auerbach,[2] but other scouts were also skeptical about Cousy, viewing him as flamboyant but ineffective. One scout wrote in his report: "The first time he tries that fancy Dan stuff in this league, they'll cram the ball down his throat."[9]

As a result, the Tri-Cities Blackhawks drafted Cousy, but the point guard was unenthusiastic about his new employer. Cousy was trying to establish a driving school in Worcester, Massachusetts and did not want to relocate to the Midwestern triangle of the three small towns of Moline, Rock Island and Davenport. As compensation for having to give up his driving school, Cousy demanded a salary of $10,000 from Blackhawks owner Ben Kerner. When Kerner offered him only $6,000, Cousy refused to report.[11] Cousy was then picked up by the Chicago Stags, but when they folded, league Commissioner Maurice Podoloff declared three Stags available for a dispersal draft: team scoring leader Max Zaslofsky, Andy Phillip and Cousy.[11] Celtics owner Walter A. Brown was one of the three club bosses invited. He later made it clear that he was hoping for Zaslofsky, would have tolerated Phillip, and did not want Cousy. When the Celtics drew Cousy, Brown confessed: "I could have fallen to the floor." Brown reluctantly gave him a $9,000 salary.[2]

Here's a great video clip from Blue Chip:

https://basketballnoise.com/bob-cousy-celtics-legend/
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2