Sam
mrkleen09
gyso
MDCelticsFan
dboss
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics Empty Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:15 pm

CSNE

BOSTON — You can now officially add Brandon Bass to the list of free agent targets for the Celtics.

While there has been considerable speculation as to what Bass will do this summer, his agent tells CSNNE.com that the 6-foot-8 forward plans to opt-out of the final year of his contract, and thus test the free agent waters.

However, all indications are that Bass is hoping to return to the Celtics with a multi-year deal.

"Oh absolutely," his agent Tony Dutt said when asked if Boston was his client's first choice. "Without question, he would love to go back."

The decision to not pick up the final year of his contract, worth $4.25 million, is driven by Bass' desire to sign a long-term deal with the C's.

Following Boston's Game 7 loss to Miami, he told reporters about his desire to return next season to Boston.

"I would love to be back here," he said at the time. "The fans here are unbelievable. For any player, this organization is the organization that you want to play for."

But Bass has been in this league long enough to know that ultimately, a player has to make decisions that in the long run are best for him and his family. Hopefully those decisions result in the player playing for the team of his choice, too.

The only issue left to resolve -- and it's a big one -- is determining Bass' value.

He was due to earn $4.25 million next season.

But in all likelihood, the Celtics would have to offer him something that at the very least was in the same neighborhood or higher, of the four-year, $26 million contract signed by Glen Davis when the C's sent him via sign-and-trade to Orlando for Bass.

Bass has been reluctant to say much about his contract status.

"I'm no different than anyone else," Bass told CSNNE.com recently. "I'm going to do what's best for me and my family. Hopefully that'll keep me here in Boston. We'll see."

When Bass signed a four-year, $16 million deal with Orlando in 2009, Dutt said his client could have signed elsewhere for more money. But both agreed that at the time, Orlando was the best fit.

"But I wanted to protect Brandon if things didn't work out there, or he continued to improve which we knew he would," said Dutt, explaining why he wanted Bass' fourth year to be an option. "It's part of how this business works."

For the C's, Bass averaged a career-high 12.5 points per game and 6.2 rebounds, which was also a career high.

Nowhere was Bass' growth with the Celtics more apparent than the start of Game 7 when the Celtics assigned him to begin the game defending LeBron James -- an unfathomed concept at the start of the season.

Even when he struggled at times during the regular season with his defensive assignments and rotations, Celtics head coach Doc Rivers remained firm in his belief that Bass would be fine.

"He's already a very good individual defender," Rivers said earlier this season. "If you told Brandon to just guard his guy, he's probably our best at that because he can move his feet extremely well and he can switch on smaller players."

Throughout his career, Bass has made steady strides in his all-around game.

Dutt sees that trend continuing . . . hopefully in Boston.

"We'll see this summer," Dutt said. "All indications I've been given is that the interest in getting something done goes both ways, so we'll see. But Boston is definitely where Brandon wants to be."

Back to top Go down

Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics Empty Re: Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics

Post by 112288 Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Bass is not worth Big Baby money. Ok he does not have the baggage like Big Baby but he has lots of short comings to not warrant that type of money.

First, he is undersized at power forward. Second, he has a hesitation to his jump shot or catch and shoot. Third. he does not have great hands and often fumbles passes to him allowing defenders that extra second to recover. Fourth, he is an ok defender but not great, with marginal lateral motion allowing players to cut to the rim and leaving him behind.Rebounding is ok.

He is not a starting power forward period! He gained the position through attrition due to injuries. If I was Ainge I would offer 3 years $15 million!

Back to top Go down

Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics Empty Re: Bass to hit free agency, hopes to remain with Celtics

Post by dboss Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Dito
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 am

Bass is just greedy and money hungry. Let him walk don't run to the team that's foolish enough to pay him big bucks. This is his extortion of the Celtic organization! Don't let the screen door hit ya' where the Good Lord split ya'

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by MDCelticsFan Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:27 am

Bass plays like he's 6'5" not like he's 6' 9"

MD!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:22 am

Its not like the world didn't know he would opt out of the last year of his contract. He is just looking for some security, a multi-year contract that would provide for him and his in case of injury, etc.

"I'm going to do what's best for me and my family. Hopefully that'll keep me here in Boston. We'll see."

This is not going to be settled overnight. First comes the draft. Then comes the signing moratorium while the league goes over the numbers to decide the cap numbers. Then the teams will look to secure the big fish, then the medium fish, then the small fry. I just hope that we don't sign any chum!! (LOL)

Bass is a medium fish.

During the process, Danny's plan will unfold. We will see whether it will be a gap year (not many multi-year contracts), will he re-tool (KG signs, Pierce stays, etc) or will he blow the whole thing up (KG retires, Pierce gets traded, etc.)

It will be fun to watch next year's team develope and I will still cheer them on come fall, like every year. Some players will return, some will fall to the wayside and some new players will join the rotation. Doc is still at the helm, so what's not to like!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:42 am

Perhaps this is the year to build the bench and wait for next year and a deep stock of talent.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:48 am

Bass is a much better all around playing than Big Baby. If the C's can get him for 4 years at 22 million....I say they sign him in a heartbeat.

He is strong, athletic, works hard, has a great jump shot, and is clearly a team player who loves learning and takes criticism well.

If he gets greedy - let him go. But 22 million for a solid 6th man is not too much to ask.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Mrkleen, I couldn't agree more.

One of the marks of a good player off the bench is that, whatever he does well, he can be counted on to do it consistently. Bass was one of the most consistent Celtics this season (especially after he began starting, playing more, and accelerating his learning of the system). There were so many times this season that the Celtics offense and rebounding went into a funk and Brandon was the only one still garnering his customary double figure points and half dozen rebounds.

Yes, he had moments of hesitancy. Yes, like all players, he had a few bad games. But people forget that he started the abbreviated season learning how to fit in with the bench on his new team, then had to learn how to fit in with the starters, then had to learn what the playoffs are all about for the Boston Celtics.

I hope no one tries to tell me that asking him to guard Lebron James for the first time in a winner-take-all game wasn't one of the most daunting assignments ever attempted by a Boston Celtic. And one reason Doc did that was because Doc recognized one thing that I don't believe has been mentioned by anyone in this Bass discussion. Bass has perhaps the best footwork on the team, which bodes well for defensive potential of which he may have just scraped the surface.

I keep preaching that these guys are not just toy soldiers who keep marching out there and doing the same thing over and over. Players change. Good scouts, general managers, and coaches see what might be as well as what is. They may re-sign Bass; they may not. But I think that decision will be made based on more criteria than the fact that he's looking for more money because he performed quite well.

I can't for the life of me understand why all the hatred for a guy who really put out for this team and whose agent was smart enough to plan in advance for just such an eventuality. Why not save the hatred for the guys who underperform and still try to hold up teams?

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Sam,

It is not hatred. I think no one here hates Bass, but you cannot turn a blind eye and deny that he has short comings as I mentioned above. He is also not a starter once we retool the Celtics in 2013. So you are going to carry starter money with a guy who will be a bench player come 2013? I do not think so!

I like Bass, but not for more then 3 years and not Big Baby numbers. Orlando was stupid to sign Baby for those numbers. I think he could be a sign and trade with a package for a more complete player at another position.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Hi,
I'd like to add one more + to BB's resume - FTs: >80% reg season and >90% playoffs. Not many PFs can shoot at this rate.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Where is 5 million a year "starter" money?

Here are some 5 million dollar players

-Linas Kleiza
-Rip Hamilton
-Tristan Thompson
-Jonas Jerebko
-Luc Mbah a Moute
-Mike Miller
-Samuel Dalembert

Are there ANY guys on that list better than Bass?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Bass is coming into his prime and can be used as a spot starter against the majority of the teams in the NBA. Bass is a humble, soft spoken person and a good teammate to boot. It may take full MLE type money and four years to keep him. Like MrKleen said, 22 million, but I'll up the ante and say 22-24 million.

It is not like Posey, who was offered full MLE and three years. He was past his prime and likely to fade by the time his contract ran out.

Its not my money, so I hope Danny keeps him.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 pm

MrKleen,

$5million is not starter money but you are confusing what I am say with what Bass is looking for which Baby money which is $25million/ 4 years or north of $6million a year.

I am ok with 3 year $15 million. Nothing north of that.

As comparing to Baby, Baby had great soft hands and could hit consistent from both sides of the elbow. Majority of Bass shots are taken at the top of key. He has problems hitting shots from the side. His up side I believe has been reached, so I see a plateau with no further upside.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Totally disagree.

Bass is much more consistent shooter than Davis. He had a better FG%, better FT%, averaged more rebounds, fewer turnovers, more blocks.

In nearly every category - Bass is better than Davis.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:Totally disagree.

Bass is much more consistent shooter than Davis. He had a better FG%, better FT%, averaged more rebounds, fewer turnovers, more blocks.

In nearly every category - Bass is better than Davis.
Totally agree. Plus Bass is low-maintenance, "chemistry" guy, while Baby is a high-maintenance, volatile, self-centered player. Baby has his talents and put up impressive numbers when Dwight Howard was out, but Bass is a keeper.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:01 pm

MrKleen,

You are correct that Bass is better stat wise but not by a wide margin in many categories. However, the difference does not warrant Baby money. Orlando was out of their mind to offer that kind of money.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Outside,

He is a keeper but at what price? How long? 3 years and $15m....ok, nothing more!

I just keep reflecting how many passes Rondo fed him only to have him fumble the pass or allow it to go out of bounds. Bad hands.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

112288 wrote:However, the difference does not warrant Baby money.

I showed you what 5 million a year gets you in the NBA
I showed you how Bass is better than Davis

In the current NBA - Bass is a 22 Million for 4 year player. He is not a star - but he is BETTER than nearly every other guy in the NBA in that 5 million a year range. That is all that matters.

What you "think" he is worth is immaterial to the discussion.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:32 pm

I do not have a problem with Bass trying to maximize his opportunity.

3 yrs with an option for a 4th year seems reasonable. I think $5.25 per is reasonable. That's a million dollar raise per year.

Lets see what other teams offer. His market value needs to be set.

Dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Does keeping Bass have much of an impact on re-signing KG and Green?
Is Boston going to spend maybe $19m this summer on Bass, KG and Green?

I would think Boston would/could re-sign all 3 at the following salaries:
Bass - 4/$24m
KG - 1/$8m
Green - 1/$5m

That will leave about $8m plus the $2.5m exception to re-sign other players. (Besides the league minimums).

I could see Boston doing a S&T with Bass so that Green can take the minutes that Bass would get. If Bass was a long pf or capable at guarding centers like BBD was, I would say that Boston should definitely keep him. If it is between Green or Bass, I think Boston should keep Green as he is more athletic and a more versatile player. (Depending on his health).
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:06 pm

I posted this on another thread, I'm just moving it here.

I believe the argument that Bass is not a good defender is overstated. I'd like to point out that Doc assigned Bass to defend LeBron in game 7. He didn't just get caught guarding LBJ on switches, it was obvious LBJ was his man. Pierce was getting into trouble, Rondo and Daniels were overmatched and Sasha (a solid defender with strength and good height) never got off the bench.

Here's an excerpt from a Chris Forsberg article from ESPN - Boston on Bass' defensive capabilities. This article was written on 3/19, before Avery Bradley came into his own.

Bass currently ranks as Boston's best overall on-ball defender. For the season, he's allowed a mere 0.658 points per play, ranking him in the 96th percentile among all NBA players. Yes, he's even slightly ahead of Garnett (0.689 ppp, 95th percentile). Now, those missed rotations might have padded his stats a little bit (players will invariably be scored upon more when they scramble to help), but a 333-possession sample size through 44 games suggests Bass' defensive numbers are legit.

Brandon Bass labored under the same constraints that everybody else did. Almost no training camp or pre-season, almost no practice days. This was his first year with Doc River's system, first year with KG. His defense improved over this season. If you want to say "that's not saying much because it stunk in the beginning!", fine, but it definitely improved to the point where we still had one of the top defenses in the league with Bass as a starter. You cannot execute a lock-down team defense, like we had the last month of the season, if your starting power forward isn't a good defender. That is just too glaring a weakness for it to not be exploited by opposing coaches.

He's still pretty young, in his prime really, maybe instead of paying him a lot more let's just add another year onto the contract.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Outside Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 pm

112288 wrote:Outside,

He is a keeper but at what price? How long? 3 years and $15m....ok, nothing more!

I just keep reflecting how many passes Rondo fed him only to have him fumble the pass or allow it to go out of bounds. Bad hands.

You're correct, the price matters, but I'd go a little higher than you're willing to. From a stats standpoint, he was the team's second leading rebounder and leading offensive rebounder and shot well from the field and the line (47.9%, 81.0%). He also had low turnovers (1.1 per game, tied for lowest on the team in TOs per 36 minutes at 1.3), so I'm not sure about the bad hands thing. What sticks in my mind most about him is hitting open mid-range jumpers, getting rebounds when it seemed like no one else was, and doing everything that could be asked of him and more without causing a ripple of discontent or drawing attention to himself.

As the article at the beginning of this thread says:

However, all indications are that Bass is hoping to return to the Celtics with a multi-year deal.

"Oh absolutely," his agent Tony Dutt said when asked if Boston was his client's first choice. "Without question, he would love to go back."

The decision to not pick up the final year of his contract, worth $4.25 million, is driven by Bass' desire to sign a long-term deal with the C's.

Following Boston's Game 7 loss to Miami, he told reporters about his desire to return next season to Boston.

"I would love to be back here," he said at the time. "The fans here are unbelievable. For any player, this organization is the organization that you want to play for."

If he's trying to get the most money possible, he's doing a lousy job of maximizing his leverage. He wants to stay in Boston. He's taken less money before, and all indications are that he's willing to do so again. He's not an overpriced veteran on the downward arc of his career like Rasheed or Jermaine O'Neal; he's 27, healthy, performed very well, and has numerous pluses in the intangibles column. I'd take him at four years for $6 million per year.
Outside
Outside

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:12 pm

MrKleen,

You need to check your examples you cited above as a reference toward what a player is worth. I'll cite two examples of problems.

Rip Hamilton signed a new contract under the New Economics of the NBA in Dec 2011. What he is getting $5M + for 2 years, 3rd year non guaranteed is correct. He is a great, great player but short due to age.
As far as skills, Hamilton is far and above a better player per position then Bass.

However, here is where the problem lies.

You cit Mike Miller who signed a 5 year deal in 2010 @$5M + a year under the Old Economics of the NBA which were grossly inflated. If he signed in 2011 as Hamilton did, his annual take would be around $3.75 - $4M. Now Miami is stuck with a limited player for 4 years.

Sighting you example such as Miller under the new economics ...$5M + 3 years is about right as far as what Bass is worth.

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Outside,

I agree. I guess you use $5M and negotiate. A Red Strategy! They will I bet agree at $5.5 YR #1, $5.75M YR#2, $6M YR #3, Team Option Yr #4 @ $6.25M. If Ainge agrees to anything beyond that, Bass just picked Danny's wallet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next